[Today at 12:43:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MU82
[Today at 12:22:29 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2019 Coaching Carousel  (Read 203354 times)

Eldon

• All American
Re: 2019 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #750 on: April 08, 2019, 11:01:47 PM »
Doesn't Thad Matta have serious health issues? I was reading that he was involved with UNLV, and it was UNLV who pulled out.

Matta is unable to stand for extended periods of time. something like that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #751 on: April 08, 2019, 11:04:05 PM »
Doesn't Thad Matta have serious health issues? I was reading that he was involved with UNLV, and it was UNLV who pulled out.

If he had to coach our terrible team, he wouldn't be able to stand 'em for long ... bada bum! ... I'll be here all week!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #752 on: April 09, 2019, 12:02:06 AM »
AAU power broker Dinos Trigonis tweeting Wojo or Earl Watson for UCLA. Watson doesn’t have a degree, that could be an issue.

“Don't worry there is a silver lining at end of the rainbow.   Bruins will end up with either Earl Watson or Steve Wojo.  Both young, bright and oozing with elite coaching potential”
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #753 on: April 09, 2019, 12:45:04 AM »

Maybe a Marquette robotics team could create an exoskeleton of sorts for Thad?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #754 on: April 09, 2019, 03:53:21 AM »
Yeah,  Wojo ain't going to UCLA
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #755 on: April 09, 2019, 04:09:18 AM »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #756 on: April 09, 2019, 05:34:27 AM »
Sounds like hardly anybody wants the gig.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #757 on: April 09, 2019, 05:39:31 AM »
Rick Pitino is available (not that I want him anywhere near Marquette).
Why not. Lots of Italian eating places in Milwaukee where he could play his trade mother tables. And he could stable his horses in the farm fields of Saukville.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #758 on: April 09, 2019, 06:39:20 AM »
Fake news. Wojo would not be a coach any school in the country besides MU is interested in. Haven’t we learned anything on Scoop?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muguru

• All American
« Reply #759 on: April 09, 2019, 06:58:36 AM »

He likely isn't, but you do understand that Trangonis isn't just pulling names randomly out of the air, right?? Their are specific reasons he keeps mentioning him.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #760 on: April 09, 2019, 07:03:21 AM »
wades

Do you think TAMU is a know it all? He often states opinion as fact. As for me, I respect that he is sharing an opinion and take it as that, even if not in line with my way of thinking.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #761 on: April 09, 2019, 07:04:30 AM »
He likely isn't, but you do understand that Trangonis isn't just pulling names randomly out of the air, right?? Their are specific reasons he keeps mentioning him.

Your always saying their is a reason, but who's fault is that?  They're could be any number of people telling Trangonis, "There my guy for the UCLA gig!"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #762 on: April 09, 2019, 07:14:39 AM »
wades

Do you think TAMU is a know it all? He often states opinion as fact. As for me, I respect that he is sharing an opinion and take it as that, even if not in line with my way of thinking.

Do I?

Im actually quite careful about when I state something as a fact.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 07:18:25 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

Goose

• All American
« Reply #763 on: April 09, 2019, 07:16:45 AM »
wades

All I know about you is the biggest game of the year posts and starting a ton of threads.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #764 on: April 09, 2019, 07:17:39 AM »

Yes there is a reason. It's that our coach is a young up and comer that most view
as being very successful at Marquette. So Wojo is on some people's wishlists, that doesn't mean he's leaving or even interviewing
TAMU

Goose

• All American
« Reply #765 on: April 09, 2019, 07:22:41 AM »
TAMU

Wishlists usually are quite well known in today’s world. It appears to me that every job opening that Wojo has been linked to has been rouge twitter guys. If Coach Cal is linked to a job there usually is some substance behind it. Has Wojo’s agent protected him better than any coach in ball history and kept leaks to record low level?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #766 on: April 09, 2019, 07:25:58 AM »
TAMU

Wishlists usually are quite well known in today’s world. It appears to me that every job opening that Wojo has been linked to has been rouge twitter guys. If Coach Cal is linked to a job there usually is some substance behind it. Has Wojo’s agent protected him better than any coach in ball history and kept leaks to record low level?

UNLV was a rogue twitter guy. VT there was substance.  No idea on UCLA.
TAMU

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #767 on: April 09, 2019, 07:31:30 AM »
Weren’t there rumors back in the day that Wojo offered Tregonis an assistant coaching gig?  So perhaps they know one another quite well?  I wonder if this is Wojo putting his name out there for extension leverage.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #768 on: April 09, 2019, 07:33:27 AM »
Weren’t there rumors back in the day that Wojo offered Tregonis an assistant coaching gig?  So perhaps they know one another quite well?  I wonder if this is Wojo putting his name out there for extension leverage.

From what I've heard,  that's not the kind of game Wojo plays
TAMU

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #769 on: April 09, 2019, 07:35:50 AM »
The other possibility is Dino likes Wojo and wants him out west. But I don’t think Wojo is going to UCLA either.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #770 on: April 09, 2019, 07:38:06 AM »

Bingo! At least as far as the connection goes..Trangonis isn't putting his name out there for extension leverage though. Just as his name wasn't out there for the Va Tech job(which was more then just his name being out there), for leverage. Connect the dots.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #771 on: April 09, 2019, 07:58:10 AM »
wades

All I know about you is the biggest game of the year posts and starting a ton of threads.

And all I know about you is that you have forgotten more about basketball than I will ever know about it.  I bow to your knowledge.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Goose

• All American
« Reply #772 on: April 09, 2019, 08:12:37 AM »
wades

We do agree on something.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #773 on: April 09, 2019, 08:15:22 AM »
wades

We do agree on something.

Yup.  I just take your words as Gospel now.  So when you stated that I knew.

I believe it was Plato who once astutely said, “I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.  Except that Goose knows more about basketball than me.”

GOO

• All American
« Reply #774 on: April 09, 2019, 08:33:25 AM »
So the vocal minority that want Wojo fired have come up with basically some version of the following.  Fire Wojo and then:

1.  Reach out to or hire Matta.  Ignoring that the guy either doesn't want to coach, and ignore all of the other openings where he did not get the job or did not pursue the job.  Ignoring health issues or hey,  contact the guy and see how he is doing. Fine, but not much of a realistic idea here it seems. I'd hope those in the know would already know something on this one. Maybe we can do like St. John's did to Mullin and look around and see who we can get, and then when Mullin finds out we're looking, deny it.  At least Mullin resigned.

2.  Promote Stan for a year and tell him maybe he'll get the job or maybe not after MU sees who is available next year.  That sounds like a winning plan.  Let's ignore what that does to recruiting, retaining players, and what it says to Stan or that Stan would even accept something like that...  I some how doubt that goes well.  Definitely kills recruiting and player retention in the short term. 

3. Go get a top guy at at top school who would surely come to MU for less money or equal pay...?  Not sure how this one works.

4.  Ignore the history of MU hires that was so well set forth, and that if there is a hire it will likely to an assistant or a low D1 coach. Unproven either way

Let me add, when a school is rumored to be looking at Wojo, state that is not the case because Wojo is not good and no one would want him.  All false rumors.  I'm sure VT would have told Wojo no, since they got the guy they really wanted, and the idea that VT would have any interest in Wojo has to be complete baloney.

It could be that like the majority here and the MU administration, others see something in Wojo and what he has done to date and where the program is at... but wait, that doesn't fit the Wojo is so terrible no one would want him.