[May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2019 Coaching Carousel  (Read 203278 times)

onepost

• All American
Re: 2019 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #725 on: April 08, 2019, 04:43:27 PM »
You sure I don't know??

Unequivocally

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #726 on: April 08, 2019, 04:47:47 PM »
A lot of small minded thinking. The three biggest mistakes in MU history were all a function of that.
1. Having Hank succeed Al instead of  the likes Denny Crum etc who could have sustained our excellence.
2. Getting rid of the Football program because it was generating a small annual loss.
3. Getting rid of the Medical School. Which is now the hugely successful Medical College of Wisconsin.

Getting rid of football was not a mistake.  Replacing Al with Hank was not a mistake.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #727 on: April 08, 2019, 05:04:46 PM »

And just so you know...Brewcity77 who you all have a ton of respect for(and rightly so), LOVES Matta, and would be his choice as well...But you wouldn't ridicule him for that(nor should you). You'd suddenly start to think he was a good choice. So hypocritical of everyone..

I'm not advocating for Wojo's firing. I fully think that right now sticking with him is the right thing to do. But if I woke up tomorrow to learn he took the UCLA job, I would be the charter member of the #MarquetteDoMatta letter writing campaign.

If he's healthy enough to coach, he's the only realistic target that would immediately be the answer to the question "who's the best coach in the country without a national title?" Huggins, Bennett, & Kruger could make a case, but I think it's still probably Matta. He had top-6 recruiting classes almost every year, was regularly competing for top seeds, has been to Final Fours & a national championship game, and is still only 51 years old.

Not saying you fire Wojo to get him, but if Wojo left tomorrow, I don't believe there's another realistic candidate that would immediately be considered one of the best coaches in the game, hands down, & could stick around for 15-20 years.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #728 on: April 08, 2019, 05:08:53 PM »
Getting rid of football was not a mistake.  Replacing Al with Hank was not a mistake.

Replacing Al with Hank turned out to be a mistake. Marquette's steady decline into irrelevance began under Hank when Al's recruits departed. Hank got out-recruited by Ray Meyer in Chicago and by Denny Crum & others in the New York metro area by a million miles.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #729 on: April 08, 2019, 05:14:19 PM »
Not saying you fire Wojo to get him, but if Wojo left tomorrow, I don't believe there's another realistic candidate that would immediately be considered one of the best coaches in the game, hands down, & could stick around for 15-20 years.

I would be fine with Matta, but despite all the accomplishments you mention, it's not a slam dunk. As noted, his level of success was clearly in steep decline at the end of his Ohio State tenure, both in terms of record and recruiting (his 2016 class ranked 42nd despte four recruits, 2017 ranked 24th with three recruits).
Also, given his health history, there's a risk that you're hiring a guy who could up and quit at any time, either by choice or because his health requires it.

Again, I wouldn't be against it, but it wouldn't be a safe hire by any stretch.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #730 on: April 08, 2019, 05:34:35 PM »
I'm not advocating for Wojo's firing. I fully think that right now sticking with him is the right thing to do. But if I woke up tomorrow to learn he took the UCLA job, I would be the charter member of the #MarquetteDoMatta letter writing campaign.

If he's healthy enough to coach, he's the only realistic target that would immediately be the answer to the question "who's the best coach in the country without a national title?" Huggins, Bennett, & Kruger could make a case, but I think it's still probably Matta. He had top-6 recruiting classes almost every year, was regularly competing for top seeds, has been to Final Fours & a national championship game, and is still only 51 years old.

+1000
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #731 on: April 08, 2019, 05:37:11 PM »
Everyone is a risk. Matta is the most proven commodity out there. I realize no coach is a guarantee anywhere, but there's no one in the country available who you could immediately say "yeah that guy could win a national title in the next 5 years, no doubt."

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #732 on: April 08, 2019, 05:47:19 PM »
+1000

You act like this is vindication, but it’s not. I suspect many of us - if not most - would want Marquette to take a run at Matta (and other quality coaches) if Wojo left. That’s not a particularly surprising or controversial position. The question seems to be whether MU should fire Wojo in the hopes that Matta (or another quality coach) would get hired. You seem to think the answer to that question is yes. Others disagree.

If you could 100% guarantee that Matta would take the job, some might be willing to go along with that. But you can’t make that guarantee. And people are understandably not necessarily wanting MU to fire Wojo in the hope that we’ll improve out coaching situation. We might end up better off. But, we might end up worse off. Many - including me - think Wojo has done well enough that it’s not worth the risk. Ask me again in a year.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #733 on: April 08, 2019, 05:53:37 PM »
Everyone is a risk. Matta is the most proven commodity out there. I realize no coach is a guarantee anywhere, but there's no one in the country available who you could immediately say "yeah that guy could win a national title in the next 5 years, no doubt."

Rick Pitino is available (not that I want him anywhere near Marquette).

muguru

• All American
« Reply #734 on: April 08, 2019, 05:54:51 PM »
You act like this is vindication, but it’s not. I suspect many of us - if not most - would want Marquette to take a run at Matta (and other quality coaches) if Wojo left. That’s not a particularly surprising or controversial position. The question seems to be whether MU should fire Wojo in the hopes that Matta (or another quality coach) would get hired. You seem to think the answer to that question is yes. Others disagree.

If you could 100% guarantee that Matta would take the job, some might be willing to go along with that. But you can’t make that guarantee. And people are understandably not necessarily wanting MU to fire Wojo in the hope that we’ll improve out coaching situation. We might end up better off. But, we might end up worse off. Many - including me - think Wojo has done well enough that it’s not worth the risk. Ask me again in a year.

I'm not necessarily advocating firing Wojo with the hopes of hiring Matta...what I meant was if he were to leave, whether that being fired or leaving on his own. Matta would be my first, second and third calls. Hands down. Let's put it this way...I am very comfortable in saying that if MU fired Wojo, that they would get a Coach better than Wojo...that is IF they hired someone with experience this time. Would they get as good of a recruiter?? That i can't be certain of, but I'm comfortable saying if MU hired an older, experienced Coach, they would get a better Coach RIGHT now than Wojo is. Could Wojo become great?? Sure he could...but I'm not sure it's going to be anytime soon(within the next year or two) and if not...why keep him around??

As i have said before...I compare this to an athlete retiring, they always say it's better to do it a year to soon, rather than a year to late. That's how I feel about Wojo.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #735 on: April 08, 2019, 05:58:54 PM »
I've had enough of you mocking me, taking shots etc...It's so tired and old. Done with you...what a freaking tool.

If you think I was mocking only you, then you saw a little too much of yourself in my one-liner.

For a guy who's "football tough" and highly "competitive," you sure can dish it out but can't take it.

Oh and BTW, I'm already on record saying that if the job were open, Matta would be the first coach I would call to see if he were interested in the job and up for the challenge. I have my doubts whether that's the case, but I'd definitely check into it. He did a nice job at Ohio State until fading badly at the end.

Oh and double BTW, you gave brew a +1000 for saying he wouldn't fire Wojo. You have said multiple times that you would, so glad to see that you have changed your tune and, like brew, "fully think that right now sticking with him is the right thing to do."

Oh and triple BTW, it hurts that you're done with me. I thought we completed each other.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #736 on: April 08, 2019, 06:18:46 PM »
Personally, I'm skeptical of Matta. He had the chops but Ohio State was in a tailspin before he left. I'm not sure he is the same coach he was earlier in his career. Would certainly would want us to give him a call, but he'd need to give a pretty convincing interview.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #737 on: April 08, 2019, 06:26:57 PM »
I find it interesting  that Guru's level of respect for Brew seems to grow like The Incredible Hulk  when he finds the rare topic where Brew's opinion supports his own........ 8-)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #738 on: April 08, 2019, 06:34:14 PM »
Personally, I'm skeptical of Matta. He had the chops but Ohio State was in a tailspin before he left. I'm not sure he is the same coach he was earlier in his career. Would certainly would want us to give him a call, but he'd need to give a pretty convincing interview.

Agreed.

If there was an opening. Which there isn't. And there won't be after we kick arse next year. Unless Wojo uses a great season to leave us. Which would have most of Scoop bemoaning our stepping-stone status.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #739 on: April 08, 2019, 06:47:32 PM »
I find it interesting  that Guru's level of respect for Brew seems to grow like The Incredible Hulk  when he finds the rare topic where Brew's opinion supports his own........ 8-)

You're another one that never misses an opportunity to take a shot at me either Mark. I've been around the boards long enough, and read enough of your posts to know, that for whatever reason, you always seem to think everything is "seashells and balloons" with MU and the BB program. I'm not sure i have ever seen anyone else like that. You seem to be very much an "is what it is" type of guy. If they lose 5 or 6 in a row you're the one that leads the charge that says "it happens to everyone at some point". If a player leaves to go pro, or a coach leaves it's "congratulations and good luck". I never advocate ripping on players, but I think the next time you ever say anything controversial, would be the first time. That's fine if that's your style, but man..it's just weird how someone can be that much "eh, oh well" about seemingly everything.

Oh, and when someone(particularly me) posts something you don't agree with, you'll let them know, or never miss an opportunity to take a veiled "shot" at me. It's fine...I just think it's strange...it's like no one else can have a thought or an opinion that is even the least bit contrarian or controversial.

It's always like you go out of your way to praise the other team in most instances rather than say anything even minutely negative about MU's play.

Either you are the most laid back, non chalant guy ever or...idk. Are you like that with everything in your personal life to?? "Eh, crap happens"?? If someone beat you out for a job, instead of seeing them as the enemy or having a bit of anger you'd be like "Congratulations, and good luck". That's just plain...strange to me.

I will give you credit though, when I first started coming to boards, I used to get on you about being to "soft" in regards to Wisconsin basketball. That has changed a lot through the years. Still not as hate filled as I'd like to see, but so much better. I'm proud of you for that!  :P

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #740 on: April 08, 2019, 06:58:05 PM »
Guru

I think your heart is in the right place.  I believe that is the case for most here.  It’s the how and why that we disagree with at times.

Peace

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #741 on: April 08, 2019, 07:18:05 PM »
You need to relax dude.....it was just a little joke.....

Not going to go into my personal life on a basketball board but I started my own company when I was 27( along with 2 partners)......through the years have had many successes and failures.....but it worked out well and I never regretted taking the chance.....and yes I manage to keep things in perspective the vast majority of the time..........

tower912

• All American
« Reply #742 on: April 08, 2019, 07:57:43 PM »
Ever think maybe, just maybe he's a midwest guy, and that's why he turned down Georgia and withdrew from UCLA?? Mock and make fun all you want...but how do you know he wouldn't take the MU job?? Maybe after all the time off he's had he'd feel better at a smaller school like MU. You have ZERO way of knowing that...NONE.
I have exactly the same way of knowing as you do.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #743 on: April 08, 2019, 07:59:57 PM »

Didn't Matta's drop off from semi elite status coincide with some serious health problems? IIRC he was in excruciating pain through most of his last several years at Ohio State.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #744 on: April 08, 2019, 08:07:21 PM »
In too much pain to dry off the court on the aircraft carrier.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #745 on: April 08, 2019, 08:54:57 PM »
Didn't Matta's drop off from semi elite status coincide with some serious health problems? IIRC he was in excruciating pain through most of his last several years at Ohio State.

Yes.  And I don't believe those problems have disappeared
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #746 on: April 08, 2019, 09:53:57 PM »
In too much pain to dry off the court on the aircraft carrier.

Didn't stop the Buzzard!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #747 on: April 08, 2019, 10:09:39 PM »
If it hasn't been mentioned, Rick Barnes is the latest coach to turn down UCLA.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #748 on: April 08, 2019, 10:13:43 PM »
If it hasn't been mentioned, Rick Barnes is the latest coach to turn down UCLA.

Their search has been such a disaster...I think at this point if any of us apply for it, we'd have a decent shot at getting it.  :P

MU82

• All American
« Reply #749 on: April 08, 2019, 10:58:18 PM »
You need to relax dude.....it was just a little joke.....

Not going to go into my personal life on a basketball board but I started my own company when I was 27( along with 2 partners)......through the years have had many successes and failures.....but it worked out well and I never regretted taking the chance.....and yes I manage to keep things in perspective the vast majority of the time..........

If you weren't such a wuss, you'd have been a hard-working football player instead of a lazy, good-for-nuthin' business owner.