[May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2019 Coaching Carousel  (Read 203219 times)

onepost

• All American
Re: 2019 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #700 on: April 08, 2019, 02:53:33 PM »
Little help here, how do you block people again?

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #701 on: April 08, 2019, 02:54:47 PM »
"fall into his lap?" Crean went to the mat for Wade and got MU to accept him whereas in the past they would not have done so. It's not like Wade was some unknown kid in rural Alaska that Crean just happened to find on vacation or that Wade just happened to show up in his office one day and ask if he could be on the team, as Rony Seikaly did at Syracuse.

Sid Finch?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #702 on: April 08, 2019, 02:56:32 PM »
See Guru, here's what I don't really get.  Everyone that frequents this board already knows your position on both Wojo and the program.  You haven't presented a ton of new material on the matter in the last couple of weeks.  It has become painfully obvious that nothing anyone says can change you opinion, and nothing that you say can change other's opinion and despite folks here having the final say on all things Arby's, no one here has the authority to actually make a coaching change. 

If your argument is so bulletproof, taking people "behind the woodshed", why don't you share them with the BOT and other University higher ups, I'm sure they qualify as "Wojo apologists".?  I understand the need to vent after the way the season finished, but unless you go to the higher ups, you are quite literally screaming into the void known as the internet.  By my count there are three things that you can do to actually inflict the change you want to see; 1, write the University, 2, stop buying tickets, and 3, pull your donation to the University.  These are all things that you can do that have an actual chance of resulting in the dismissal of Wojo, but all it seems that you want to do is get into fight with strangers on the internet, which will not result in Wojo's firing no matter how much you do it.

You have a voice that you can use to talk to people that can actually make a change, but all you seem to want to do is bang your head against a wall on the internet.  You want Wojo gone, talk to the people that can actually make it happen.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #703 on: April 08, 2019, 03:07:29 PM »
Thad Matta...end of discussion.

Matta turned down 5 years and $16 million from Georgia a year ago before Crean got the gig.   

So far this carousel offseason, the only job that he has been attached to is the UNLV job.    Which went to........

Maybe in a year if Wojo tanks next season, but there is absolutely nothing in a quick google search to indicate that he is currently seeking his next head coaching position.     

So your position is to fire Wojo for a coach who had to leave his last job due to health issues and has made no indication he wants to get back in.      On the off chance that MU will be the gig that changes his mind.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #704 on: April 08, 2019, 03:08:37 PM »

Thad Matta no matta
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #705 on: April 08, 2019, 03:10:53 PM »
 "I hadn’t woke up in a good mood in like 18 years. That’s what coaching is. You can’t be happy."  - Thad Matta

Definitely the guy I want to be the coach of our team.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #706 on: April 08, 2019, 03:15:54 PM »
"I hadn’t woke up in a good mood in like 18 years. That’s what coaching is. You can’t be happy."  - Thad Matta

Definitely the guy I want to be the coach of our team.

I think you can be miserable and be a good coach. I don't know if Saban is ever happy, and he's done ok for himself.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #707 on: April 08, 2019, 03:19:05 PM »
Sid Finch?

damn his obsession with the French Horn.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #708 on: April 08, 2019, 03:20:31 PM »
I think you can be miserable and be a good coach. I don't know if Saban is ever happy, and he's done ok for himself.

Saban is happiest when he's unhappy. The guy lives for the grind and the process.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #709 on: April 08, 2019, 03:21:12 PM »

So you would fire Wojo today and hire Matta -- if he'll come. OK, at least you've presented your solution. I totally disagree with it, but at least you gave a solution.

Now, what if Matta turns you down and/or during the courting of him you get the vibe that he's simply not mentally and physically ready to coach on this level? What's your backup plan?

"fall into his lap?" Crean went to the mat for Wade and got MU to accept him whereas in the past they would not have done so. It's not like Wade was some unknown kid in rural Alaska that Crean just happened to find on vacation or that Wade just happened to show up in his office one day and ask if he could be on the team, as Rony Seikaly did at Syracuse.

I agree, BH. I don't think it's fair to say Crean didn't "earn" having Wade on the Warriors. There are plenty of things for TC-haters to criticize.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #710 on: April 08, 2019, 03:23:47 PM »
Matta turned down 5 years and $16 million from Georgia a year ago before Crean got the gig.   

So far this carousel offseason, the only job that he has been attached to is the UNLV job.    Which went to........

Maybe in a year if Wojo tanks next season, but there is absolutely nothing in a quick google search to indicate that he is currently seeking his next head coaching position.     

So your position is to fire Wojo for a coach who had to leave his last job due to health issues and has made no indication he wants to get back in.      On the off chance that MU will be the gig that changes his mind.
LA Times did list Matta with the UCLA job.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #711 on: April 08, 2019, 03:25:15 PM »
Yeah but was Matta interested?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #712 on: April 08, 2019, 03:32:10 PM »
LA Times did list Matta with the UCLA job.

He withdrew from consideration.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #713 on: April 08, 2019, 03:40:12 PM »
He withdrew from consideration.
Just in case Marquette comes calling.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #714 on: April 08, 2019, 03:43:36 PM »

Lol....... :D

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #715 on: April 08, 2019, 03:55:49 PM »
Saban is happiest when he's unhappy. The guy lives for the grind and the process.

A tshirt with Saban dressed up as a goth kid with makeup would be my everything.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #716 on: April 08, 2019, 04:10:05 PM »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #717 on: April 08, 2019, 04:17:02 PM »
I know he had health issues, but Matta's last four years at Ohio State were:

2013: 25-10, first round loss
2014 - 24-11, second round loss
2015 - 21-14 NIT
2016 - 17-15, no postseason

Out of coaching for two years.

Why would he be a good choice? Holtmann came in in 2017 and immediately turned it around and has won NCAA games each year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #718 on: April 08, 2019, 04:29:39 PM »
I know he had health issues, but Matta's last four years at Ohio State were:

2013: 25-10, first round loss
2014 - 24-11, second round loss
2015 - 21-14 NIT
2016 - 17-15, no postseason

Out of coaching for two years.

Why would he be a good choice? Holtmann came in in 2017 and immediately turned it around and has won NCAA games each year.

Oh stop with the facts and reasonable questions and stuff, MUe.

Matta would be a good choice because he's 1,000 times better than Wojo - duh!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #719 on: April 08, 2019, 04:34:26 PM »

Ever think maybe, just maybe he's a midwest guy, and that's why he turned down Georgia and withdrew from UCLA?? Mock and make fun all you want...but how do you know he wouldn't take the MU job?? Maybe after all the time off he's had he'd feel better at a smaller school like MU. You have ZERO way of knowing that...NONE.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #720 on: April 08, 2019, 04:36:19 PM »

I've had enough of you mocking me, taking shots etc...It's so tired and old. Done with you...what a freaking tool.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #721 on: April 08, 2019, 04:37:44 PM »
Ever think maybe, just maybe he's a midwest guy, and that's why he turned down Georgia and withdrew from UCLA?? Mock and make fun all you want...but how do you know he wouldn't take the MU job?? Maybe after all the time off he's had he'd feel better at a smaller school like MU. You have ZERO way of knowing that...NONE.

NOR. DO. YOU.
Are you seriously this thick?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #722 on: April 08, 2019, 04:39:11 PM »

And just so you know...Brewcity77 who you all have a ton of respect for(and rightly so), LOVES Matta, and would be his choice as well...But you wouldn't ridicule him for that(nor should you). You'd suddenly start to think he was a good choice. So hypocritical of everyone..

muguru

• All American
« Reply #723 on: April 08, 2019, 04:39:51 PM »
NOR. DO. YOU.
Are you seriously this thick?

You sure I don't know??

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #724 on: April 08, 2019, 04:40:54 PM »
These questions should be asked of those who make the business decisions at Marquette. For a school that has 1 revenue generating sport, it is mind boggling to not maximize the potential to be a player on a major stage. In fact, going back to 1977 and seeing and feeling the revenue, free publicity, increased applications, etc. and then dropping the ball and peeing down their leg, its beyond believable. If Gonzaga and Villanova can do it, what's MU's issue?
A lot of small minded thinking. The three biggest mistakes in MU history were all a function of that.
1. Having Hank succeed Al instead of  the likes Denny Crum etc who could have sustained our excellence.
2. Getting rid of the Football program because it was generating a small annual loss.
3. Getting rid of the Medical School. Which is now the hugely successful Medical College of Wisconsin.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

feedback