[May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2019 Coaching Carousel  (Read 203252 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: 2019 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #650 on: April 07, 2019, 08:58:13 PM »
Except they wouldn’t pay his TCU buyout.

Huh?? We were talking about whether or not MU could pay Beard $5/mill per year.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #651 on: April 07, 2019, 09:08:12 PM »
Huh?? We were talking about whether or not MU could pay Beard $5/mill per year.

My apologies for misunderstanding.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #652 on: April 07, 2019, 09:26:51 PM »
Rumor has It that Young currently makes $170k a year at Wofford.  That’s quite a raise...

He could coach our women's team.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #653 on: April 07, 2019, 09:36:54 PM »
How 'bout dis Beard, knot da next won. Dude has da chops winners are made of. Wood bee nice ta get sum of dat, hey?

I agree. It would be great if we could go get Beard right now because I'm sure he's dying to leave Texas Tech.

But just in case he wants to stay in what he called his dream job, with his family close by, that Izzo guy has been pretty good, too. And Cal. And Few. And Brad Stevens. It wood bee nice ta sum of any of dat, hey hey hey?

I mean there are Scoopers who think Bennett is a possibility. Why not?

The fact that a half-dozen of the most accomplished coaches out there won't drop everything they're doing to coach Marquette must mean we suck, oona'hey?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #654 on: April 07, 2019, 09:57:05 PM »
I agree. It would be great if we could go get Beard right now because I'm sure he's dying to leave Texas Tech.

But just in case he wants to stay in what he called his dream job, with his family close by, that Izzo guy has been pretty good, too. And Cal. And Few. And Brad Stevens. It wood bee nice ta sum of any of dat, hey hey hey?

The fact that a half-dozen of the most accomplished coaches out there won't drop everything they're doing to coach Marquette must mean we suck, oona'hey?

You make fun of every single time someone mentions a name that you think would be above Coaching at Marquette. Now, granted some names are unrealistic, but you seem to have this idea the only Coaches that MU could get would be lower level assistants, or mid major head coaches. That would not be accurate. You must have a REALLY REALLY low view of your alma mater's basketball program with as often as you "mock" possible future Head coaching possibilities. It's tiresome to be honest.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #655 on: April 07, 2019, 09:58:26 PM »
@GoodmanHoops: Arkansas is in negotiations with Nevada coach Eric Musselman and, barring a last-minute collapse, he will be the next coach for the Razorbacks, source told @Stadium

Done deal.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/arkansas-hires-eric-musselman-away-from-nevada-as-new-razorbacks-mens-basketball-coach/

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #656 on: April 07, 2019, 10:21:06 PM »
You make fun of every single time someone mentions a name that you think would be above Coaching at Marquette. Now, granted some names are unrealistic, but you seem to have this idea the only Coaches that MU could get would be lower level assistants, or mid major head coaches. That would not be accurate. You must have a REALLY REALLY low view of your alma mater's basketball program with as often as you "mock" possible future Head coaching possibilities. It's tiresome to be honest.

Not a low view, just a realistic one.

Marquette is a top 20 - top 25 program in the country, which is not bad, that's top 5%. With that status, we can pick off almost any mid-major or low-major coach and any assistant coach that we want. We could also pick off most of the lower rung high-major coaches. If there is a young up and comer at like a Washington State, Rutgers, TCU, Ole Miss, or Boston College type job, we could probably land one of those guys. The mid-level high majors, there are probably some we could pick off if we gave enough money....but the reality is the coaches who do well at those levels typically stay put until one of the top jobs comes open. We cannot pick off coaches from the top high majors, unless we ran into a Buzz situation where the coach is running from a job rather than to one.

All of this is irrelevant at this point any way. Wojo ain't going anywhere this offseason. Barring disaster, he ain't going anywhere next season either.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #657 on: April 07, 2019, 10:23:43 PM »

You're getting me confused with chicos. Please don't ever let that happen again.

He is the one who responds to every post with "I guess you'll have to be satisfied with another assistant coach, because that's all we can get." I actually have responded to that by correcting him.

We obviously can attract experienced coaches who have had some success, as both Cuonzo Martin and Ben Howland were begging us for the job 5 years ago.

I mock the idea that, after Beard has done what he has done at the place where he really wants to do it and to continue doing it, we can just sweep in there and steal him away.

I mock the idea that we're somehow going to lure Tony Bennett away from Virginia.

And I mock the idea that we should have hired Beard because folks here would have been sooooo comfortable hiring somebody with his resume at the time TTech hired him.

Criticize me if you want to, but at least be accurate with your criticism.

If and when Wojo is gone, we would have our choice of many top assistants around the country (as Wojo was, as Izzo was, as Roy Williams was, as Matt Painter was, etc). We also would have a very realistic chance at hiring the next Chris Beard or Shaka Smart if our people are good enough at identifying that person and sealing the deal. And yes, I do believe we would have a shot at some P6 head coaches and/or former head coaches, but probably not any who are having great success with their current P6 programs.

That's what I've said before, that's what I'm saying now. So please don't make stuff up about me.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #658 on: April 07, 2019, 10:27:05 PM »

Marquette is a top 20 - top 25 program in the country, which is not bad, that's top 5%. With that status, we can pick off almost any mid-major or low-major coach and any assistant coach that we want. We could also pick off most of the lower rung high-major coaches. If there is a young up and comer at like a Washington State, Rutgers, TCU, Ole Miss, or Boston College type job, we could probably land one of those guys. The mid-level high majors, there are probably some we could pick off if we gave enough money....but the reality is the coaches who do well at those levels typically stay put until one of the top jobs comes open. We cannot pick off coaches from the top high majors, unless we ran into a Buzz situation where the coach is running from a job rather than to one.

All of this is irrelevant at this point any way. Wojo ain't going anywhere this offseason. Barring disaster, he ain't going anywhere next season either.

I agree with your first paragraph.

As for the second, I also agree and would like to add that it must be nice to work at an extremely high paying job where there’s next to no pressure to do anything other than avoid total disaster.  Good work if you can get it!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #659 on: April 07, 2019, 10:38:19 PM »
I agree with your first paragraph.

As for the second, I also agree and would like to add that it must be nice to work at an extremely high paying job where there’s next to no pressure to do anything other than avoid total disaster.  Good work if you can get it!

???

Who said there is no pressure? I have found that people still feel a tremendous pressure to succeed in their careers even if they aren't on the hot seat.
TAMU

muguru

• All American
« Reply #660 on: April 07, 2019, 10:46:14 PM »
You're getting me confused with chicos. Please don't ever let that happen again.

He is the one who responds to every post with "I guess you'll have to be satisfied with another assistant coach, because that's all we can get." I actually have responded to that by correcting him.

We obviously can attract experienced coaches who have had some success, as both Cuonzo Martin and Ben Howland were begging us for the job 5 years ago.

I mock the idea that, after Beard has done what he has done at the place where he really wants to do it and to continue doing it, we can just sweep in there and steal him away.

I mock the idea that we're somehow going to lure Tony Bennett away from Virginia.

And I mock the idea that we should have hired Beard because folks here would have been sooooo comfortable hiring somebody with his resume at the time TTech hired him.

Criticize me if you want to, but at least be accurate with your criticism.

If and when Wojo is gone, we would have our choice of many top assistants around the country (as Wojo was, as Izzo was, as Roy Williams was, as Matt Painter was, etc). We also would have a very realistic chance at hiring the next Chris Beard or Shaka Smart if our people are good enough at identifying that person and sealing the deal. And yes, I do believe we would have a shot at some P6 head coaches and/or former head coaches, but probably not any who are having great success with their current P6 programs.

That's what I've said before, that's what I'm saying now. So please don't make stuff up about me.

You mock Tony Bennett(as have others) without obviously knowing truly how close he was to being MU's Coach when TC left..that being said..MU's program was in a significantly better place then.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #661 on: April 07, 2019, 10:55:20 PM »
You mock Tony Bennett(as have others) without obviously knowing truly how close he was to being MU's Coach when TC left..that being said..MU's program was in a significantly better place then.

Again, putting words in my mouth.

I mock the idea of Tony Bennett coming to Marquette if we fire Wojo now, as at least one other Scooper suggested was realistic.

And I accept your apology.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #662 on: April 07, 2019, 10:58:50 PM »

1. MU's program is better now than it was when TC left
2. Tony Bennett was coming from Washington State then, we absolutely could have gotten him then and could absolutely get Washington State's coach now
3. The mocking Tony Bennett is based off getting him now, when he is at one of the top jobs in the country. That simply would not happen.
TAMU

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #663 on: April 08, 2019, 07:46:02 AM »

Nah, just means we've dropped down to mid-major status in the eyes of those who matter, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #664 on: April 08, 2019, 07:57:05 AM »

And I don't think people realize, with the money being thrown around now, how easy it is to stay where one is.  Coaches don't rank jobs.  They don't say "well I'm in the 30th best job in the country now, so if the 18th best job opens up, I'm leaving."  Also different coaches have different motivations.  Wright has apparently decided to make Nova his destination.  Chris Mack didn't do the same with Xavier.

It is pretty rare, maybe only once a year, where a coach in good standing at a major program leaves to take another major job.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #665 on: April 08, 2019, 07:59:15 AM »

Nah, just means we've dropped down to mid-major status in the eyes of those who matter, hey?

Nah, just means those who think they know everything know nothing.  Now plz list all da hi majorr coaches dat day Quette has hyred threw da yeerz.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #666 on: April 08, 2019, 08:06:00 AM »

A couple of questions, Doc:

When did this "drop down" happen? When is the last time Marquette went out and hired away a highly regarded head coach from a top conference?

Answer:

Never! (Or at least never in the Al-and-beyond era.)

Al was hired from Belmont Abbey, where he was 13-39 his last two seasons. (I can practically hear the wailing that would have emanated from Scoop1964 after that hire!)

Hank was promoted from assistant.

Rick was promoted from assistant.

Dukiet was hired from St. Peters.

KO was an Arizona assistant.

Deane was hired from Siena.

Creane was a Michigan State assistant.

Buzz was promoted from assistant.

Wojo was a Duke assistant.

A bunch of assistants and mid-major coaches, starting with some clown who won 13 games in his last 2 seasons at the basketball juggernaut that was Belmont Abbey.

In other words, Doc, by your definition, Marquette has ALWAYS been a mid-major in the eyes of those who matter, hey?

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #667 on: April 08, 2019, 08:18:01 AM »
A couple of questions, Doc:

When did this "drop down" happen? When is the last time Marquette went out and hired away a highly regarded head coach from a top conference?

Answer:

Never! (Or at least never in the Al-and-beyond era.)

Al was hired from Belmont Abbey, where he was 13-39 his last two seasons. (I can practically hear the wailing that would have emanated from Scoop1964 after that hire!)

Hank was promoted from assistant.

Rick was promoted from assistant.

Dukiet was hired from St. Peters.

KO was an Arizona assistant.

Deane was hired from Siena.

Creane was a Michigan State assistant.

Buzz was promoted from assistant.

Wojo was a Duke assistant.

A bunch of assistants and mid-major coaches, starting with some clown who won 13 games in his last 2 seasons at the basketball juggernaut that was Belmont Abbey.

In other words, Doc, by your definition, Marquette has ALWAYS been a mid-major in the eyes of those who matter, hey?

I can't believe we've hired 3 assistants from a mid-major school like Marquette.  Couldn't even get their head coach!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #668 on: April 08, 2019, 08:37:22 AM »
These questions should be asked of those who make the business decisions at Marquette. For a school that has 1 revenue generating sport, it is mind boggling to not maximize the potential to be a player on a major stage. In fact, going back to 1977 and seeing and feeling the revenue, free publicity, increased applications, etc. and then dropping the ball and peeing down their leg, its beyond believable. If Gonzaga and Villanova can do it, what's MU's issue?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #669 on: April 08, 2019, 08:50:51 AM »
These questions should be asked of those who make the business decisions at Marquette. For a school that has 1 revenue generating sport, it is mind boggling to not maximize the potential to be a player on a major stage. In fact, going back to 1977 and seeing and feeling the revenue, free publicity, increased applications, etc. and then dropping the ball and peeing down their leg, its beyond believable. If Gonzaga and Villanova can do it, what's MU's issue?

Time. Few has been at Gonzaga for 30 years, 20 as head coach. Wright has been at Villanova for 18 years. Maybe if Crean stays we're at that same level. Maybe even if Buzz stays. If Wojo stays, maybe we get there in 10 years. Or maybe we reset and wait and see for 15 years with the next guy.

Hiring the right coach and retaining that coach for a couple decades is the difference.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #670 on: April 08, 2019, 08:56:15 AM »

The last time Gonzaga hired a head coach, it was a lifetime assistant from their own staff.
The last time Villanova hired a head coach, it  was a former assistant who'd spent the previous seven years at low-major Hofstra.
If this is your case for Marquette landing someone like Tony Bennett, it's a bad one.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #671 on: April 08, 2019, 09:02:24 AM »

Stability.  Those other schools have coaches that stick around.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #672 on: April 08, 2019, 09:05:05 AM »

Gonzaga "did it" by promoting an assistant, Dan Monson, and then, after he bolted for Minnesota, promoting his assistant, Mark Few. It took Monson/Few a combined 20 seasons to reach the Final Four.

Nova "did it" by hiring a mid-major guy from Hofstra (where he had a losing record after 4 seasons). It took Jay Wright 4 years at Nova to make the NCAA tourney, 4 more years to reach the Final Four, and 7 years after that -- his 15th season at the school and 22nd as a head coach -- to win the title.

So if we are to follow the Gonzaga/Villanova model, all we need to "do it" is hire either an assistant or a mid-major coach and give him time to build a great program.

What you're really saying is that you want the Gonzaga/Villanova success without having to live through the time it takes to get to that success.

Hey man, I get it. We all want a quick fix. We all want to hire the best and have him lead us to the promised land, and to do it in just a season or two.

But that is the extreme, extreme, extreme rarity. Even when a school gets fortunate enough to hire a Few or a Wright, that school has to stay patient while the program grows and blossoms.

In staying patient, a program might find out it hired the wrong guy. That happens all the time, not just at Marquette. I watched a lot of Illinois basketball; they got lucky with Self, fairly lucky with Weber, but a lot less lucky since; they saw themselves on the brink of "elite," but never quite got there. Texas Tech? Chris Beard fell into their lap; had he not been a 10-year Texas Tech assistant with family in the area, he'd be winning big at UNLV now.

We at Marquette got very, very, very, very (can I write a few more "verys"?) lucky with Al. He was a guy who had gone 13-39 his last 2 years at Belmont Freakin' Abbey. He could have sucked worse than Dukiet. But he ended up being the right mid-major (hell, not even mid-major) man for the right school at the right time.

Do I know if Wojo is the guy who will "do it" at Marquette the way it turned out that Few and Wright have done it at their schools? No I do not. But he has built some momentum, we did have a nice season, we have an even better team coming back next year. I am willing to be patient and see what it brings.

Others are not willing to be patient. They look at Gonzaga and Villanova and say, "Why not us, too?" But they don't want to hear about what it took for Gonzaga and especially Villanova to get to now. I guarantee that many Scoopers would have grumbled about hiring a guy from Hofstra and then, 3 years later, would have wanted that guy fired due to his 52-46 record (21-27 in the BEast), zero NCAA tournament appearances and 11th-place finish in his third year.

I got a real kick out of all the folks who were waxing poetic recently about Kevin Willard -- a hire from Iona who would have killed to have a first 5 seasons as good as Wojo's were.

Doc, you already have made up your mind that Wojo never should have been hired and, once hired, should have been fired long ago. That's your right as a fan, of course. I'm guessing you also felt Buzz should never have been promoted, which was also your right.

Just know that those of us who are a little more patient also very much want our Warriors to win again. I agree we can be the next Villanova if we get the right man in charge and keep him in charge for a long stretch. In my mind, we don't know yet if Wojo is the right man. In your mind, you are already positive that he is not.

I have to say that I hope I'm right on this one.

NOTE: Edited to reflect the correction that Fluffy offered about Monson reaching Elite 8 in his second season.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 12:29:36 PM by MU82 »

• All American
« Reply #673 on: April 08, 2019, 09:10:51 AM »
Gonzaga "did it" by promoting an assistant, Dan Monson, and then, after he bolted for Minnesota, promoting his assistant, Mark Few. It took Monson/Few a combined 18 seasons to reach the Elite Eight and a combined 20 seasons to reach the Final Four.

Monson reached the Elite 8 in year two as a 10 seed.  Lost a late lead to eventual champion UConn.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #674 on: April 08, 2019, 09:19:23 AM »
Monson reached the Elite 8 in year two as a 10 seed.  Lost a late lead to eventual champion UConn.

Thank you for the correction. The sentiment in my previous comment is the same, though.

feedback