[May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2019 Coaching Carousel  (Read 203243 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: 2019 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #375 on: March 30, 2019, 05:28:58 PM »
From Hokie Scoop:

They are also eyeing up our recruits to steal.   MU Scoop would be in a meltdown mode if we lost two coaches to the Gobblers.  Cheeks would also head right into Anaphylactic Shock if the recruits followed Wojo.

And having lost two coaches to VaTech, some Scoopers would complain about MU not landing Tony Bennett or Chris Beard as Wojo's replacement.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #376 on: March 30, 2019, 05:30:50 PM »
I suppose anything can happen, but Wojo to VT would be one of the strangest things I have ever seen.

Why?? I mean I could see a bit of appeal...It would put him back in the ACC where his roots are, and maybe more importantly puts him back closer to home...The downside?? he'd have to Coach against Coach K at least once a year which I don't think he would care for. That being said, I would be utterly SHOCKED if Va Tech offered him the job.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #377 on: March 30, 2019, 05:31:57 PM »
And having lost two coaches to VaTech, some Scoopers would complain about MU not landing Tony Bennett or Chris Beard as Wojo's replacement.

Want no part of Bennett and that slow down offense...no thanks. I'd take Chris Beard in a heartbeat though. But that wouldn't happen.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #378 on: March 30, 2019, 05:36:00 PM »
Want no part of Bennett and that slow down offense...no thanks. I'd take Chris Beard in a heartbeat though. But that wouldn't happen.

What?  Bennett is a top 10 coach. He’d have Marquette winning consistently. But there is zero chance he comes here.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #379 on: March 30, 2019, 05:46:23 PM »
What?  Bennett is a top 10 coach. He’d have Marquette winning consistently. But there is zero chance he comes here.

Why do you say that? The zero percent?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 05:49:37 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #380 on: March 30, 2019, 05:48:48 PM »

Chris Beard teams are slow as well.  Not Bennett slow but still methodical
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #381 on: March 30, 2019, 06:06:18 PM »

Yup. Some people are offended by MU fans contemplating whether we’d be better off with Wardle or Stan running the program (because those are guys that would actually be options for us) while saying their top 3 would be Bennett, Beard, and Kelvin Sampson. LOL!

Explains why there is such a loud minority on here whining about everything and anything they can find to cry about. There’s being realistic and then being off your meds. Let’s just throw Popovich, a reincarnated Al McGuire, a time machined Phil Jackson, Brad Stevens, Coach K, Roy Williams, and Coach Cal to our list while we’re contemplating our phone calls to Beard, Bennett, and Sampson. All just as likely as those 3. Heck, maybe all these guys agree to be on staff, from head to assistant coaches to DOBO to volunteer assistants. We got this.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 06:09:26 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muguru

• All American
« Reply #382 on: March 30, 2019, 06:13:09 PM »
Yup. Some people are offended by MU fans contemplating whether we’d be better off with Wardle or Stan running the program (because those are guys that would actually be options for us) while saying their top 3 would be Bennett, Beard, and Kelvin Sampson. LOL!

Explains why there is such a loud minority on here whining about everything and anything they can find to cry about. There’s being realistic and then being off your meds. Let’s just throw Popovich, a reincarnated Al McGuire, a time machined Phil Jackson, Brad Stevens, Coach K, Roy Williams, and Coach Cal to our list while we’re contemplating our phone calls to Beard, Bennett, and Sampson. All just as likely as those 3. Heck, maybe all these guys agree to be on staff, from head to assistant coaches to DOBO to volunteer assistants. We got this.

If you think those 3 would be the type of options for MU, then you know absolutely nothing about previous MU applicants. Just saying..they can do MUCH better then those 3, if previous applicants are any indication. Then again, the MU job was a better job when Crean/Buzz left too.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #383 on: March 30, 2019, 06:24:10 PM »
I suppose anything can happen, but Wojo to VT would be one of the strangest things I have ever seen.
The best analogy I could think of was when Brett Bilema left Wisconsin football on his own volition to go to Arkansas football. He did it for the money and to coach in the SEC even though The Hogs were second tier. For $20 million coaches will do strange things....
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #384 on: March 30, 2019, 06:31:13 PM »
If you think those 3 would be the type of options for MU, then you know absolutely nothing about previous MU applicants. Just saying..they can do MUCH better then those 3, if previous applicants are any indication. Then again, the MU job was a better job when Crean/Buzz left too.

I gave 2 options, and only 1 that I think would get more than a courtesy look. But either of those 2 are INFINITELY more likely than Chris Beard, Tony Bennett, or Kelvin Sampson.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #385 on: March 30, 2019, 06:36:10 PM »
Why do you say that? The zero percent?

I don't know anything.  I'm just assuming.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #386 on: March 30, 2019, 06:43:36 PM »
Didn't UNLV just hire TJO?  Why are people still mentioning them?

Beard LOVES TTU.  Said it's his dream job (his local ties make this a believable statement).

If MU admin/BOT refused to consider Howland, they sure as hell aren't hiring Sampson.

Why would Bennett come to MU?  Local ties?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #387 on: March 30, 2019, 06:44:10 PM »

I don't know anything.  I'm just assuming.

Based on past hiring processes, that may be a bad assumption. There is a reason Cheeks says MU should have waited in the past.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #388 on: March 30, 2019, 06:44:43 PM »

this is very sad to me that this is what you think of the program. MU is a top 25 program all time. They spend a ton on the program, pay top dollar and play in a top 3 to 5 conference. Why do you undersell the program like this. Explains why mediocrity is accepted and celebrated. Hell let's join the Maac conference and become a mid major or is that aiming to high for you

• All American
« Reply #389 on: March 30, 2019, 06:45:00 PM »
Based on past hiring processes, that may be a bad assumption. There is a reason Cheeks says MU should have waited in the past.

I bow to your wisdom

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #390 on: March 30, 2019, 06:51:04 PM »
this is very sad to me that this is what you think of the program. MU is a top 25 program all time. They spend a ton on the program, pay top dollar and play in a top 3 to 5 conference. Why do you undersell the program like this. Explains why mediocrity is accepted and celebrated. Hell let's join the Maac conference and become a mid major or is that aiming to high for you

What?

So your list would start with Beard/Bennett/Sampson too? Fair enough, just be prepared for it to go to option 4 or beyond.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #391 on: March 30, 2019, 06:55:45 PM »

But for 30 minutes or so and no one would have ever debated Buzz or Wojo.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #392 on: March 30, 2019, 06:59:52 PM »
What?

So your list would start with Beard/Bennett/Sampson too? Fair enough, just be prepared for it to go to option 4 or beyond.
no not necessarily, but you shouldn't settle for the coaches you are suggesting either. So you think Texas Tech is a better program and conference than MU, again that is sad. I don't like Sampson, Bennet is probably not leaving VA but there is no reason MU can't attract top coaching talent.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #393 on: March 30, 2019, 07:05:23 PM »
no not necessarily, but you shouldn't settle for the coaches you are suggesting either. So you think Texas Tech is a better program and conference than MU, again that is sad. I don't like Sampson, Bennet is probably not leaving VA but there is no reason MU can't attract top coaching talent.

I think Wardle would get a courtesy interview. I think Stan would be a last resort hire.

But Beard, Bennett, and Sampson are not coming to Marquette, and no that does not mean Houston or Texas Tech are better programs than Marquette.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #394 on: March 30, 2019, 07:07:00 PM »
So you think Texas Tech is a better program and conference than MU, again that is sad.

I don't think that's the case with Beard. But he's from Texas & Big 12 schools can play. I think if he leaves it's for Texas or a blue blood.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

• All American
« Reply #395 on: March 30, 2019, 07:07:25 PM »
I think Wardle would get a courtesy interview.

I believe he did last go around.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #396 on: March 30, 2019, 07:08:26 PM »
I think Wardle would get a courtesy interview. I think Stan would be a last resort hire.

But Beard, Bennett, and Sampson are not coming to Marquette, and no that does not mean Houston or Texas Tech are better programs than Marquette.
ok thank you. Bennett  may want to come home at some point but he has a pretty good gig at VA. Sampson I could care less about, I am not sure why you  are so sure about Beard

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #397 on: March 30, 2019, 07:10:23 PM »
ok thank you. Bennett  may want to come home at some point but he has a pretty good gig at VA. Sampson I could care less about, I am not sure why you  are so sure about Beard

He was an assistant coach at Texas Tech and grew up and went to college in Texas. And he has his program rolling. I don’t see him leaving, especially not to come to the Midwest.

• All American
« Reply #398 on: March 30, 2019, 07:13:18 PM »
Beard is also the divorced father of three daughters who live in west Texas.  He has called Texas Tech his dream job.  He isn't coming to Milwaukee.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #399 on: March 30, 2019, 07:14:09 PM »
He was an assistant coach at Texas Tech and grew up and went to college in Texas. And he has his program rolling. I don’t see him leaving, especially not to come to the Midwest.
ok I  didn't know much about him probably in line for UT then. The thing is those blue blood programs don't come open that frequently.