[Today at 12:43:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MU82
[Today at 12:22:29 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2019 Coaching Carousel  (Read 203368 times)

Silent Verbal

• All American
Re: 2019 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #275 on: March 27, 2019, 04:00:44 PM »
Yeah it would’ve been nice to see Nate hold out for a better situation

The risk was probably too great that Buffalo would take a step back next year.  No idea on terms, but I’m guessing he’ll make a lot more at Bama.  If he does well, he can look for a better job.  If he fails, he’ll have pocketed some good coin and can always go back to coaching at the low/mid major level.  IMO, he made a good call.

WindyCityGoldenEagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #276 on: March 27, 2019, 04:22:15 PM »
I like oats and otzelberger.  I guess the pseudo good news is if wojo does flame out marq could potentially still get one of those guys if they were successful at those schools.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #277 on: March 27, 2019, 04:26:45 PM »
The risk was probably too great that Buffalo would take a step back next year.  No idea on terms, but I’m guessing he’ll make a lot more at Bama.  If he does well, he can look for a better job.  If he fails, he’ll have pocketed some good coin and can always go back to coaching at the low/mid major level.  IMO, he made a good call.

Yep. He didn't want to get "Mosered."

I have no idea if the Loyola coach got a single P6 offer after last year's FF run, but if he did he should have taken it.

Buffalo could slide big-time next year. Get the $$$ now.

This also shows how meaningless these contract extensions and buyouts are.

When folks are talking about players having the same kind of freedom coaches do, inevitably somebody brings up the buyout ... as if that stops most programs that really want a coach from hiring that coach. I suppose if the buyout is $10M or something, maybe, but that's very rare. Alabama paid for this buyout from the change they found in the sofa cushions in Saban's lounge.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #278 on: March 27, 2019, 04:38:49 PM »
Oh I understand it from his perspective and don’t question it for him at all. My point was for his sake I wish it was in a better situation. That said if he’s as good a coach as I think he is he should be able to succeed anywhere
No Finish Line

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #279 on: March 27, 2019, 04:44:53 PM »
Oh I understand it from his perspective and don’t question it for him at all. My point was for his sake I wish it was in a better situation. That said if he’s as good a coach as I think he is he should be able to succeed anywhere

I think he is a really good coach but he will fail there.  Alabama not a place any coach is going to have big time long term sustained success, therefore, in 4-6 seasons ge will be fired.  And it will all start again like at every SEC school not named UF or UK.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #280 on: March 27, 2019, 06:32:23 PM »
I think he is a really good coach but he will fail there.  Alabama not a place any coach is going to have big time long term sustained success, therefore, in 4-6 seasons ge will be fired.  And it will all start again like at every SEC school not named UF or UK.

I agree with you on the shelf life of SEC basketball coaches.  The thing is, in those 4-6 years Oats will probably have pocketed about $10 million.  And when they fire him, some low/mid major school that needs a coach will say, “He did well at Buffalo and no one wins at Alabama.  Let’s hire him.”  He really had nothing to lose by taking the job.  And hey, not bad for a guy who was coaching high school ball a few years ago.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 06:35:00 PM by Research Report »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #281 on: March 27, 2019, 08:13:30 PM »
Not sure what some of you guys are talking about.
Wimp Sanderson and Mark Gottfried both had long (10+ years) and reasonably successful runs at Bama.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #282 on: March 28, 2019, 08:59:58 AM »
Not sure what some of you guys are talking about.
Wimp Sanderson and Mark Gottfried both had long (10+ years) and reasonably successful runs at Bama.

Under suspicious circumstances.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #283 on: March 28, 2019, 09:13:29 AM »

Under suspicious circumstances.

I believe you're thinking of Gottfriend's tenure at NC State. Neither he or Sanderson ran afoul of the NCAA at Alabama. Sanderson had some off-court behavior that led to his resignation, but nothing with the NCAA.

Anyhow, together they combined for 23 years at Bama, winning three SEC regular season titles, five SEC tournament titles and earning 15 NCAA bids.
All of which flies in the face of the notion that Bama is not a place where a coach can have long-term success.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #284 on: March 28, 2019, 10:22:20 AM »
The only Alabama basketball result that matters to me was their win over the Warriors in the 2006 NCAAs in San Diego. I was there for other purposes (Illinois also happened to be playing there) so I got to witness firsthand a spirited comeback that ultimately ended when the magic ran out for Novak. He missed a jumper that could have given us the lead with about 30 seconds left and a 3 that could have tied it in the closing seconds.

But that's basketball. I really enjoyed the team that season, but obviously hated that ending.

Postscript:

Bama lost their next game by 3 points to UCLA, which ended up getting all the way to the championship game, where they fell to Florida.

UCLA was coached by Ben Howland, who 8 years later would be begging Marquette to hire him.

Marquette instead went with Wojo. After sitting out two years, Howland caught on with Mississippi State, which has done OK in his 4 seasons. As a 5-seed this year, their only NCAA tourney bid under Howland, they lost to to a 12-seed.

Sometimes the coincidences in sports are amazing!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #285 on: March 28, 2019, 10:36:53 AM »
Otz just got the UNLV job.  Good for my fellow Cavalier!

Edit.  Didn't see you guys mention on the last page.  (Told you I'm not paying attention.  ?-( )
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 10:41:28 AM by jsglow »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #286 on: March 29, 2019, 09:32:42 AM »
Mark Fox to Cal.
Kidd maybe think he's getting the Lakers' gig.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #287 on: March 29, 2019, 10:10:20 AM »
Mark Fox to Cal.

That has to be one of the most pedestrian hires I can imagine. Nothing against Fox, but that just screams 7th-10th in the league, no NCAA appearances for the next decade.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #288 on: March 29, 2019, 10:32:56 AM »
That has to be one of the most pedestrian hires I can imagine. Nothing against Fox, but that just screams 7th-10th in the league, no NCAA appearances for the next decade.

Not sure the athletic department has a lot of money to do much more than that
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #289 on: March 29, 2019, 10:36:43 AM »
Apparently brought to you by the same search firm that recommended Kevin Stallings at Pitt.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #290 on: March 29, 2019, 10:39:43 AM »

But he's been a D1 coach multiple times. Some think that makes it "safe".

muguru

• All American
« Reply #291 on: March 29, 2019, 11:19:04 AM »
Very curious to see if Kelvin Sampson bolts for Arkansas
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #292 on: March 29, 2019, 11:33:41 AM »

I'm not saying it's a bad hire, just a very dull one. Sort of like getting socks for Christmas, or winning an all inclusive trip to Toledo.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #293 on: March 29, 2019, 12:10:51 PM »
I'm not saying it's a bad hire, just a very dull one. Sort of like getting socks for Christmas, or winning an all inclusive trip to Toledo.

Thats not dull, thats just cruel and some sort of punitive response to sins in your life.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #294 on: March 29, 2019, 12:13:17 PM »
Mark Fox to Cal.

Kidd does not have a degree and that's a requirement within the UC system for the job.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #295 on: March 29, 2019, 12:19:39 PM »

Said no one, but good try.  Also, key point missed was hiring a successful D1 MAJOR coach.

But no coaching hire is safe or guaranteed, you play the odds.  The odds are greater they will succeed than an assistant that has never done it at the major level. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #296 on: March 29, 2019, 12:21:18 PM »

Cal and Waazu are two of the worst basketball jobs in the PAC 12, for them this is a decent hire because it is a job that is so tough.  I think the back half of your statement will prove to be inaccurate.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #297 on: March 29, 2019, 12:24:39 PM »
S The odds are greater they will succeed than an assistant that has never done it at the major level.
source?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #298 on: March 29, 2019, 12:30:32 PM »
source?

That assistant coaches don’t do as well in major coaching jobs then already major coaches switching from one major job to another....is that the question?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #299 on: March 29, 2019, 12:33:56 PM »
Said no one, but good try.  Also, key point missed was hiring a successful D1 MAJOR coach.

But no coaching hire is safe or guaranteed, you play the odds.  The odds are greater they will succeed than an assistant that has never done it at the major level.

Fox was successful at Nevada - 3 straight NCAA appearances when they were still in the WAC.  He struck while the iron was hot and took a big job where he really didn't fit and there wasn't great institutional support.

That said, Cal could have done much better. Cheaping out once again as that program is in incredible debt (the football stadium won't be paid off for another 90 years).
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

feedback