[May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2019 Coaching Carousel  (Read 203216 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: 2019 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #225 on: March 26, 2019, 06:15:25 PM »
Now...my challenge to everyone here, is LOOK at these three years based solely on the record etc. IGNORE the fact what he started with etc etc(that argument is tired and lame)...Just REALLY look at the raw #'s...and ask yourself...is this/should it be good enough at a place like Marquette?? Or is this Mediocrity at it's finest(all things considered)??

Again, you don't fire a coach to punish him for not meeting your expectations.

You fire a coach because he is no longer building the program. He is either regressing or plateauing for a significant period of time.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #226 on: March 26, 2019, 06:22:12 PM »
Again, you don't fire a coach to punish him for not meeting your expectations.

You fire a coach because he is no longer building the program. He is either regressing or plateauing for a significant period of time.

Hmmm well...you pro Wojo guys haven't asked yourself one important question...Obviously hypothetical...but let's assume MU got a new AD last year...I would bet you(or anyone else) very large sums of $$, he would have fired Wojo at the end of this year...you know why?? Because new AD's always want their own guy. If the sitting Coach is doing well enough, they would leave them alone...but usually a New AD comes in they have a new vision etc. So...if a new AD would have fired him(which I believe he would have)...can't you then make the argument he should be fired?? And perhaps the only reason he hasn't been is because the administration is in love with him?? More specifically, are YOU or any other pro Wojo guy willing to wager a different admin would feel EXACTLY the same?? If you think they would, then I will concede...but I think(and you are smart enough to know this too) it is far more likely then not, a new administration coming in, would fire him...happens every where.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #227 on: March 26, 2019, 06:23:41 PM »
Hmmm well...you pro Wojo guys haven't asked yourself one important question...Obviously hypothetical...but let's assume MU got a new AD last year...I would bet you(or anyone else) very large sums of $$, he would have fired Wojo at the end of this year...you know why?? Because new AD's always want their own guy. If the sitting Coach is doing well enough, they would leave them alone...but usually a New AD comes in they have a new vision etc. So...if a new AD would have fired him(which I believe he would have)...can't you then make the argument he should be fired?? And perhaps the only reason he hasn't been is because the administration is in love with him?? More specifically, are YOU or any other pro Wojo guy willing to wager a different admin would feel EXACTLY the same?? If you think they would, then I will concede...but I think(and you are smart enough to know this too) it is far more likely then not, a new administration coming in, would fire him...happens every where.
I agree with this analysis
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #228 on: March 26, 2019, 06:24:59 PM »
MU's athletic program has plenty of $$ to do these things, and you know that. They will pay top dollar for a Coach etc. They have plenty of wealthy enough donors to do what needs to be done.
Marquette doesn't have SEC money. Heck, softball in the SEC pays it's coaches heck of wage. These buildings for softball are better than 200+ schools in college hoops.

If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

muguru

• All American
« Reply #229 on: March 26, 2019, 06:32:17 PM »
Marquette doesn't have SEC money. Heck, softball in the SEC pays it's coaches heck of wage. These buildings for softball are better than 200+ schools in college hoops.

Mr. Nielsen...I can assure you, of one thing...(and for those of you hanging on everything I say, this is PURELY HYPOTHETICAL)...let's say Brad Stevens called and said I will become your next Head Coach if you pay me xxxx amount of dollars...MU could find the $$ to pay him whatever he requested(obviously if it's reasonable(ish). Now if they would...would be another story. If they didn't however, they would be the biggest idiots alive.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #230 on: March 26, 2019, 06:33:44 PM »

I'm confident that most ADs do exactly what I said, they fire coaches who are regressing or plateuing and support the ones who are building the program. They do NOT fire a coach as punishment for not living up to fan expectations. Those that don't fall into the most aren't very good ADs.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #231 on: March 26, 2019, 06:34:07 PM »
SEC softball gets solid tv ratings
            ---Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #232 on: March 26, 2019, 06:36:14 PM »
Mr. Nielsen...I can assure you, of one thing...(and for those of you hanging on everything I say, this is PURELY HYPOTHETICAL)...let's say Brad Stevens called and said I will become your next Head Coach if you pay me xxxx amount of dollars...MU could find the $$ to pay him whatever he requested(obviously if it's reasonable(ish). Now if they would...would be another story. If they didn't however, they would be the biggest idiots alive.
As your example you give, I agree with that. 
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #233 on: March 26, 2019, 06:36:25 PM »
I feel like the Athletic Department is being run like the Brewers were in the 90s when Wendy Selig took control of the team.  She couldn’t bear to fire Sal Brando because he was “like an uncle” to her.  Wojo will need to seriously bottom out for the AD to fire him.  If he continues to produce fair to middling results, he’ll be here as long as he chooses to stay.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #234 on: March 26, 2019, 06:37:59 PM »
SEC softball gets solid tv ratings
I watch SEC softball all the time!
-Bill Walton

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #235 on: March 26, 2019, 06:48:19 PM »
I watch SEC softball all the time!
Well there you go. Nothing like those southern hotties in pony tails. Oh, Yeah they are pretty darn good athletes too.
            ---Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #236 on: March 26, 2019, 07:11:02 PM »
I feel like the Athletic Department is being run like the Brewers were in the 90s when Wendy Selig took control of the team.  She couldn’t bear to fire Sal Brando because he was “like an uncle” to her.  Wojo will need to seriously bottom out for the AD to fire him.  If he continues to produce fair to middling results, he’ll be here as long as he chooses to stay.

Come on.  MU Volleyball, Big East champions, NCAA tournament.  MU Women's Basketball, Big East Champions, NCAA Tournament.  MU Men's basketball, Big East 2nd place, ranked top 15 much of the year, NCAA tournament.  MU Women's LAX, coming off NCAA tournament last year....season in progress.  MU Men's LAX, just beat ranked G' Town yesterday and MU receiving votes in top 20 rankings.  Marquette Tennis, defending Big East champions.  And on and on.

2017 Big East President's Trophy for best overall athletic department = Marquette

Those are not fair to middling results.  Nor is making the NCAA tournament and finishing 2nd in the conference.  The new definitions of words are enlightening.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #237 on: March 26, 2019, 07:16:50 PM »
and 4 Sweet 16 teams. Feast or famine.

Will be interesting to  see the coaches applying to replace him..
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

muguru

• All American
« Reply #238 on: March 26, 2019, 07:17:53 PM »
I'm confident that most ADs do exactly what I said, they fire coaches who are regressing or plateuing and support the ones who are building the program. They do NOT fire a coach as punishment for not living up to fan expectations. Those that don't fall into the most aren't very good ADs.

Tim Miles...was fired at Nebraska today..In 2017-2018 they were 22-11 and were left out of the NCAA's when many thought they would make it...This year they were 19-17 and had it not been for the inury to Copeland, they make the NCAA's..Nebraska has had only two winning conference records BXII/B10 in the 21st century...why was he fired??

Bryce Drew- Got three years at Vandy...made NCAA's his first year there, with a mostly Senior laden class...regressed the next year, and had a disaster of a year this year after losing 1st round NBA pick Darius Garland...3 years...fired. Why was he fired??

Let's put it this way..Let's say you TAMU own a business...and for a stretch of years from 2008-2014, your business was at levels you hadn't seen in many years..Your product had an identity, more and more people were starting to notice, you were making more $$ than you ever had..You were close to becoming in an elite group of manufacturers...this was all due to a new plant manager you had brought in to replace one that left for a better opportunity...But this plant manager had business booming...then because of some bad publicity(that was never bad nationally only in an isolated local area), you got scared...and you started making life harder and harder for this plant manager, putting restrictions on what he could do etc...only your business was as good as it had ever been..well you were hoping he'd leave because you were worried if your "brand" could withstand a little bad publicity(again only locally).

You got your wish...he left...so you decided to bring in someone more clean cut, but inexperienced to take over your plant manager duties..5 years later, your business hasn't gotten significantly better, certainly nowhere near the levels it had been at under the previous pant manager..No one nationally talks about/raves about your product the way they once did..your product has dipped from those days, the quality isn't as good, and there's no guarantees it will ever be at that level again under this plant manager..he's had 5 years...you now have to ask yourself, how many more years of this can you afford before your business becomes irrelevant and gets passed by other companies that produce better results from the same product?? If you don't act soon..it could all crumble down and you lose it all....so what do you do?? Do you take a chance by firing this plant manager, and "reorganizing" and bring in someone else that almost certainly would produce no worse then the same results, or do you let him stay for another couple years and risk losing your business entirely??

You want to be the company that was "on top of the world" or close to it, just a few years ago..that's what you want to be again, you have now been passed by companies of the same size and stature, and even some lessor ones, their product is better then yours now. What are you going to do??

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #239 on: March 26, 2019, 07:27:57 PM »
Will be interesting to  see the coaches applying to replace him..

Yup. Anyone who thinks MU would be a hot job after firing their coach after a season he got a 5 seed and finished 2nd in their conference is kidding themselves.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #240 on: March 26, 2019, 07:30:35 PM »

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #241 on: March 26, 2019, 07:34:44 PM »
MU Women's LAX, coming off NCAA tournament last year....season in progress. 
They never been in NCAA Tournament.
-Bill Walton

muguru

• All American
« Reply #242 on: March 26, 2019, 07:44:54 PM »
Yup. Anyone who thinks MU would be a hot job after firing their coach after a season he got a 5 seed and finished 2nd in their conference is kidding themselves.

Oh really?? I can promise you a vast majority if not all of the recently unemployed Coaches would be falling all over themselves for the MU job...that's not saying I'd hire any of them but if you base "hot" on the number of applications/interest expressed I can 99% guarantee you you would here from(in no particular order):

Mike Anderson
Steve Alford
Bryce Drew
Tim Miles
Avery Johnson
Dave Rose
Marvin Menzies
Thad Matta

And that's not saying anything about guys that are current Head coaches, assistants etc. there would be TONS of interest.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #243 on: March 26, 2019, 07:57:26 PM »
Do you honestly feel any of those coaches are upgrades?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #244 on: March 26, 2019, 08:03:12 PM »
Do you honestly feel any of those coaches are upgrades?

My post said...not that I would hire any of them...but there were questions about how much interest there would be in the MU job if they fired a Coach coming off a five seed...I was saying there would be PLENTY of interest. Of those..I love the way Mike Anderson's teams play...but to me, if I HAD to choose one of those, it would be Matta...I wouldn't be disappointed with him.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #245 on: March 26, 2019, 08:11:08 PM »
Back on topic .. so much for Wojo to UNLV

@JonRothstein: Sources: South Dakota State's T.J. Otzelberger has emerged as a primary candidate for the head coaching vacancy at UNLV. Runnin Rebels hope to have a head coach hired by the end of the week.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #246 on: March 26, 2019, 08:13:43 PM »
Wojo ta SDSU, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #247 on: March 26, 2019, 08:19:46 PM »
Tim Miles...was fired at Nebraska today..In 2017-2018 they were 22-11 and were left out of the NCAA's when many thought they would make it...This year they were 19-17 and had it not been for the inury to Copeland, they make the NCAA's..Nebraska has had only two winning conference records BXII/B10 in the 21st century...why was he fired??

Bryce Drew- Got three years at Vandy...made NCAA's his first year there, with a mostly Senior laden class...regressed the next year, and had a disaster of a year this year after losing 1st round NBA pick Darius Garland...3 years...fired. Why was he fired??

Let's put it this way..Let's say you TAMU own a business...and for a stretch of years from 2008-2014, your business was at levels you hadn't seen in many years..Your product had an identity, more and more people were starting to notice, you were making more $$ than you ever had..You were close to becoming in an elite group of manufacturers...this was all due to a new plant manager you had brought in to replace one that left for a better opportunity...But this plant manager had business booming...then because of some bad publicity(that was never bad nationally only in an isolated local area), you got scared...and you started making life harder and harder for this plant manager, putting restrictions on what he could do etc...only your business was as good as it had ever been..well you were hoping he'd leave because you were worried if your "brand" could withstand a little bad publicity(again only locally).

You got your wish...he left...so you decided to bring in someone more clean cut, but inexperienced to take over your plant manager duties..5 years later, your business hasn't gotten significantly better, certainly nowhere near the levels it had been at under the previous pant manager..No one nationally talks about/raves about your product the way they once did..your product has dipped from those days, the quality isn't as good, and there's no guarantees it will ever be at that level again under this plant manager..he's had 5 years...you now have to ask yourself, how many more years of this can you afford before your business becomes irrelevant and gets passed by other companies that produce better results from the same product?? If you don't act soon..it could all crumble down and you lose it all....so what do you do?? Do you take a chance by firing this plant manager, and "reorganizing" and bring in someone else that almost certainly would produce no worse then the same results, or do you let him stay for another couple years and risk losing your business entirely??

You want to be the company that was "on top of the world" or close to it, just a few years ago..that's what you want to be again, you have now been passed by companies of the same size and stature, and even some lessor ones, their product is better then yours now. What are you going to do??

Cool. But only somebody who desperately wants to get rid of a coach would look at a 3-year stretch of NCAA-NIT-NCAA ... with the latter including a 2nd-place finish and a 5-seed ... and with everybody coming back ... and with a good transfer becoming eligible ... and with a key injured player coming back ... and with at least one good recruit already on the hook ... and with near sellout crowds at an NBA arena most games ... and with a team full of kids who have represented the university perfectly ... and say, "You know, that guy needs to be fired."

guru, you don't like Wojo, you are convinced he is a failure and will always be a failure, and you desperately want to get rid of him.

So yes, YOU would fire him. ADs aren't anonymous interwebs fans, thankfully.

None of the coaches that have been fired these last 2-3 weeks are coming off a season like we just did. Not one of them.

And finally, for somebody who doesn't want to hear anybody make any "excuses" for Wojo, you sure are willing to make excuses for Miles, Drew and any other coach who isn't named Wojo.

So are we about "no excuses" or aren't we?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #248 on: March 26, 2019, 08:23:28 PM »

#FakeNews #Lies

Nebraska was doomed heading into the season and had started the tank before IC went down. Combined with the weak recruiting, Miles wasn’t gonna be the answer to their desires.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #249 on: March 26, 2019, 08:27:15 PM »
Cool. But only somebody who desperately wants to get rid of a coach would look at a 3-year stretch of NCAA-NIT-NCAA ... with the latter including a 2nd-place finish and a 5-seed ... and with everybody coming back ... and with a good transfer becoming eligible ... and with a key injured player coming back ... and with at least one good recruit already on the hook ... and with near sellout crowds at an NBA arena most games ... and with a team full of kids who have represented the university perfectly ... and say, "You know, that guy needs to be fired."

guru, you don't like Wojo, you are convinced he is a failure and will always be a failure, and you desperately want to get rid of him.

So yes, YOU would fire him. ADs aren't anonymous interwebs fans, thankfully.

None of the coaches that have been fired these last 2-3 weeks are coming off a season like we just did. Not one of them.

And finally, for somebody who doesn't want to hear anybody make any "excuses" for Wojo, you sure are willing to make excuses for Miles, Drew and any other coach who isn't named Wojo.

So are we about "no excuses" or aren't we?

I'm not making excuses for them...I don't care if they got fired or not...all I'm asking is...why people think they got fired?? I'm 99% sure it was because they weren't meeting those schools expectations. Right or wrong..they weren't.

Look...My biggest issue with Wojo is his lack of in game adjustments..Can we compromise?? If I'm 100% honest...I'd be more than happy to see Wojo stay(I like his recruiting)...IF he is willing to acknowledge this might be a weakness of his and find a veteran asst Coach to help with X's and O's, in game stuff etc. Sound good??

feedback