[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hong Kong  (Read 25066 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Hong Kong
« Reply #150 on: August 15, 2019, 11:46:25 AM »
Should CEO’s, actors, athletes be able to make whatever the market pays, regardless if the avg Joe thinks it is obscene?

Sure, as long as their markets were truly free and reflected the actual worth of their labor.
But as we know, that's not often the case.
Most star athletes' wages, for example, are deflated by things like salary caps, financial fair play regulations and luxury taxes.
CEO compensation doesn't often reflect actual value, but often is dictated by easily-reached benchmarks that are controlled by the CEO him/herself.
Actors I would think are the closest thing to being paid by what the market dictates.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #151 on: August 15, 2019, 11:47:54 AM »
Actually, it's only a pejorative to those who think themselves to be better than service workers.

I'd otherwise suggest you ask your barista if they enjoy their job the next time you're ordering your triple soy cow mocha frappucino, but service workers can sense others' disdain for them better than you know.

Exactly.
And sorry, I don't drink coffee.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #152 on: August 15, 2019, 11:49:23 AM »
TinyTim

Just curious, what made it like the "Wild West" to you?

Where I worked, which I won't name but we worked Passionately & Honestly to expnd our reach in China in the late 80s.  We ended up hiring some sort of "consultant" who also owned a Chinese retaurant up near Capitol Court at the time.  Working with this guy, we always managed to see who we needed to see over there, but my boss was real leary of how it all went down.  For the life of me I can't remember the name of the restaurant. We did get to have some real good pork dumplings over lunch however.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #153 on: August 15, 2019, 11:59:22 AM »
Pakuni

Do you really think ZFB is bashing service workers? You guys are unreal and always avoid the point of a post. Why don't you or someone in your camp address his question vs. focusing on the service worker comment. There are successful business guys (Not me, I am a work in progress) and they get bashed non stop. Ziggy asked what the "experts" out there do for a living and got crickets in return, only support for a group that needs zero support. It actually speaks volumes, you bash success and feel the need to defend folks that anyone with a brain already respects.

He was clearly diminishing the work of service industry employees.  I don't feel the need to divulge my employment information because I'm not interested in an online dick measuring competition. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #154 on: August 15, 2019, 12:14:34 PM »
I think it is important to be cognizant of some of the history regarding "success" on this board, without the history the angst some are showing here is hard to understand.

There is a lengthy history of derogatory attacks on individuals that have chosen fields that are not as financially lucrative. Including pretty vicious personal attacks on people that have chosen to work as Firefighters. Those people are heroes, but have been treated in the past in derogatory fashions.

Very often, some posters, have either flat out said, or implied that wealth is the only measure of success that is valued. Related, too often our society views wealth, as the only measure of success, hard work, and intelligence that matters.

That is a sad state.

It is this backdrop that is leading to some of the angst in the discussions here. Not directing this at anyone in particular, just pointing out the historical roots for anyone that may not understand where some of the statements are stemming from.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #155 on: August 15, 2019, 12:39:38 PM »
I think it is important to be cognizant of some of the history regarding "success" on this board, without the history the angst some are showing here is hard to understand.

There is a lengthy history of derogatory attacks on individuals that have chosen fields that are not as financially lucrative. Including pretty vicious personal attacks on people that have chosen to work as Firefighters. Those people are heroes, but have been treated in the past in derogatory fashions.

Very often, some posters, have either flat out said, or implied that wealth is the only measure of success that is valued. Related, too often our society views wealth, as the only measure of success, hard work, and intelligence that matters.

That is a sad state.

It is this backdrop that is leading to some of the angst in the discussions here. Not directing this at anyone in particular, just pointing out the historical roots for anyone that may not understand where some of the statements are stemming from.

The moment this happened was pretty jaw-dropping for me

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #156 on: August 15, 2019, 12:44:05 PM »
I wonder what all of the clowns that are knocking people that have had business success do for a living?  They all seem so smart, I'll bet they can come up with a lot of funny names on the Starbucks cups that they hand out all day.

Well said, Zig.

Lots of blowhards coming out of the woodwork.

Goose took a great risk, worked his ass off, and found success.

Lot of people merely exist, living out their days in quiet desperation. They cannot possibly comprehend what a man like Goose accomplished. What is genuinely sad is they are completely ignorant of the broader, wonderful world out there.

Some men live life to the fullest. Others merely exist. The chasm is profound.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #157 on: August 15, 2019, 12:48:53 PM »
Well said, Zig.

Lots of blowhards coming out of the woodwork.

Goose took a great risk, worked his ass off, and found success.

Lot of people merely exist, living out their days in quiet desperation. They cannot possibly comprehend what a man like Goose accomplished. What is genuinely sad is they are completely ignorant of the broader, wonderful world out there.

Some men live life to the fullest. Others merely exist. The chasm is profound.

So now you're not only an expert in China's economics and culture because you speak the language (and mock their speaking English a very short time later), but you're the authority as to how well a person lived his life.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #158 on: August 15, 2019, 12:50:39 PM »
Bias

For being such a good guy, you share take your swipes at anyone that disagree's with you or you dislike. You have zero problem being a dick to anyone or anything that does not match your thoughts. In my world, that is a hypocrite. You should have the same respect for all people that you have for the Starbuck worker.

Goose

That long, anguished wail you are hearing is the pain of a man who knows he is not fulfilling his promise and destiny.

Some of us break bread at Va Bene then trade thoughts over grappas in Lan Kwai Fong. Others hit the Arby's drive through in Pewaukee for a night of reality TV before bed.

A man lives. A fool exists.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #159 on: August 15, 2019, 12:56:43 PM »
Short term pain, long term gain.  Can not deny we have been crushed by China in trade, that also wasn’t good.  At some point someone said enough, and some industries are thriving as a result, and some are not.  If the pain leads to a better arrangement long term, I am for it.  The question is whether it does or not.  Doing business the old way had plenty of negative outcomes to, just depends what sector one is in.

We got hit with it from a supply chain perspective.  Now new lines being setup outside of China which takes time and money, but it also hurt China and the Chinese company is screaming holy hell to the Chinese govt’ because they are losing so much business.  That’s the pressure being applied and why’s China’s economy has slowed.  Risky bets all around.

Jams

We have a couple major infrastructure projects in China that have been on hold since April because of the trade tiff. And while we have a lot of capital tied up that is not generating a return we, both US and London, are pleased that there is an effort to address Beijing's unfair trade practices.

China has gotten away with murder for far too long. It's about time we evened the playing field. Frankly, while it is hurting our returns we support the greater principal of fair trade.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #160 on: August 15, 2019, 01:05:45 PM »
Crash

Well said.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #161 on: August 15, 2019, 01:09:21 PM »
My starbucks comment was not a knock on the service industry worker, but the blowhards that know nothing but still tear down everyone else that doesnt agree with their viewpoint.

Starbucks has become a cliche for low barrier to entry work.  Everyone needs to start somewhere, and people have different reasons for doing what they do.

I have a buddy thats a barista, he does that in the morning, then takes groups rock climbing in tje afternoon.  That's cool to me, i wish i wasnt a slave to the grind and could do outside the box things.  But I'm too afraid to do it, i like the steady paycheck.

At least goose, keefe, doc, cheeks, and a few others have established their bonafides, i trust their comments more than teardowns from jesmu, jockey and hards.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 01:29:18 PM by ZiggysFryBoy »

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #162 on: August 15, 2019, 01:14:59 PM »
Now this is what I came for.  Please do tell, all knowing of MUScoop.  What makes a life worth living?  How do I go about living a worthy life.  Because what you consider to be "living" is what everyone needs to work towards.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #163 on: August 15, 2019, 01:19:26 PM »
Oh. I didn't realize I was the one providing the "teardowns"

Goose

That long, anguished wail you are hearing is the pain of a man who knows he is not fulfilling his promise and destiny.

Some of us break bread at Va Bene then trade thoughts over grappas in Lan Kwai Fong. Others hit the Arby's drive through in Pewaukee for a night of reality TV before bed.

A man lives. A fool exists.

As opposed to trash like this that insult good men, like my father, who made a calculated choice to take a low-risk/steady paycheck job and be able to provide safety and security for their family/children.

There's nothing wrong with risk-taking globetrotters.

There's also nothing wrong with cul-de-sac living, weekend golf warrior, family-loving providers.

To suggest otherwise is a f*cking douchey thing to do.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #164 on: August 15, 2019, 01:24:37 PM »
Ziggy

That you needed to clarify your post says it all to me. The only your post was taken as a slap to Starbucks workers was if someone wanted to make it a slap. The usual suspects cherry pick out of posts, bash the poster without reading the post objectively and generally love to attack.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #165 on: August 15, 2019, 01:31:13 PM »
Ziggy

That you needed to clarify your post says it all to me. The only your post was taken as a slap to Starbucks workers was if someone wanted to make it a slap. The usual suspects cherry pick out of posts, bash the poster without reading the post objectively and generally love to attack.

what other way could it possibly be taken?  he literally said nobody is worthy of talking bad about guys like goose and crash daddy and all theyve accomplished unless they prove theyve accomplished just as much in life and havent simply worked in the starbucks writing names on coffee cups.  thats a compliment to people who work at starbucks?  learn how to read if you took it as that.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #166 on: August 15, 2019, 01:32:56 PM »
Oh. I didn't realize I was the one providing the "teardowns"

As opposed to trash like this that insult good men, like my father, who made a calculated choice to take a low-risk/steady paycheck job and be able to provide safety and security for their family/children.

There's nothing wrong with risk-taking globetrotters.

There's also nothing wrong with cul-de-sac living, weekend golf warrior, family-loving providers.

To suggest otherwise is a f*cking douchey thing to do.

Dude, you are one of the most negative, spiteful people here.  The fact that you dont recognize it says volumes about your character.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #167 on: August 15, 2019, 01:36:57 PM »
bias

It should be taken in the manner it was meant to be taken. Sadly, you and your buddies took it as an insult to Starbucks workers. He did throw a jab at you and your crew and it definitely hit home to some of you.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #168 on: August 15, 2019, 01:38:40 PM »
"The Mope Summit."

Goose

• All American
« Reply #169 on: August 15, 2019, 01:41:42 PM »
Ziggy

A+++++ stuff on The Mope Summit. I will not be offended not getting an invite.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #170 on: August 15, 2019, 01:43:48 PM »
bias

It should be taken in the manner it was meant to be taken. Sadly, you and your buddies took it as an insult to Starbucks workers. He did throw a jab at you and your crew and it definitely hit home to some of you.

what was the jab at me and "my crew?"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #171 on: August 15, 2019, 02:00:10 PM »
Dude, you are one of the most negative, spiteful people here.  The fact that you dont recognize it says volumes about your character.

One of? Who's in the top 10? Did I make it?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #172 on: August 15, 2019, 02:06:17 PM »
One of? Who's in the top 10? Did I make it?

You did.  Congrats.  Participation ribbons for all.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #173 on: August 15, 2019, 02:22:08 PM »
You did.  Congrats.  Participation ribbons for all.

Can I get a beef and cheddar instead of a ribbon?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #174 on: August 15, 2019, 03:25:14 PM »
Oh, so you're just an open proud moron at this point. Please do continue.

because i don't like the ny times, i'm the moron?  classic!  surprised you're able to take some time away from your antifa buddies to respond to such a trivial matter
don't...don't don't don't don't

feedback