[Today at 02:58:54 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Good News for MU students who hate how slow the internet is here  (Read 7755 times)

YoungMUFan4

• All American
I work in the wired office so I am on some network email list and for the first time there was one that was noteworthy.  The size of the internet pipe for students is going to be increased significantly. (from 100 meg to 700 meg). This work is intended on being complete by the end of February. This upgrade to the network will require a network outage so it may have to wait until spring break.

yellow chickens

• Scholarship Player
Re: Good News for MU students who hate how slow the internet is here
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 11:50:28 PM »
that is amazing news. i cannot even play cod or download podcasts or anything during the afternoon because of the terrible internet speed

JSwarriors08

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 11:53:47 PM »
I also work in IT and can confirm that this is not a rumor.  It has been approved by the powers that be and will most likely occur over spring break, as they will need to shut the network down completely for about half a day to implement the changes.

Murphysguy

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 12:12:22 AM »
Yeah i'm in mccormick and the internet is absolutely terrible. Sorry i'm not exactly the most technically advanced of individuals so what exactly does this mean? Will it produce a noticeable difference?

yellow chickens

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 12:57:18 AM »
I see. All you IT guys get paid to sit on muscoop all day huh? maybe i should go apply thats what i do all day anyways

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 01:54:50 AM »
This is ridiculous. You underclassmen have it easy compared to only 3 years ago. First the complete meal program revamp (trust me, it's waaaaaay better now than it used to be) and now this. I wish they would've accelerated this stuff a bit.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 07:52:18 AM »
This is ridiculous. You underclassmen have it easy compared to only 3 years ago. First the complete meal program revamp (trust me, it's waaaaaay better now than it used to be) and now this. I wish they would've accelerated this stuff a bit.

What did they do with the meal plans?

JSwarriors08

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 08:28:45 AM »
Sorry i'm not exactly the most technically advanced of individuals so what exactly does this mean? Will it produce a noticeable difference?

Yes.  This is taking the amount of network space currently used and multiplying it by seven.  It is a massive overhaul and should make network speed pretty ridiculous.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 08:33:58 AM »

What did they do with the meal plans?

I'm unaware of all the details, but back then you only got all your meals for ONE semester.  There were no rollover meals.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 12:39:55 AM »
You underclassmen have it easy compared to only 3 years ago.

You know, back in my days....oh never mind, you wouldn't understand...but it involved a strange piece of equipment referred to as a "modem", and if you connected into the 28.8kbps "pool" of "modems", you were lucky.  And then we connected into a strange thing called "Gopher"

Man, I'm old.  Luckily the internet was at least being invented when I was still in school  :o

p.s. - for the "old timers" - did you know you can still access gopher sites...at least it works with firefox... hah
  gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/ 

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 04:13:21 AM »
Underclassmen can now eat at the AMU and the Brew using their "swipes". Hours at McCormick and other dorms have been significantly extended. When I was a frosh/sophomore we could only go to the dining halls during meal periods (breakfast, lunch, dinner), I believe the dining halls are open now during all hours minus sleep time. This is the info I've been given as an upperclassmen. Probably not all fact, but the limits on eating have been repealed. I guess it's sour grapes, but the new dining rules are way better than they were even 2-3 years ago.

jce

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 08:03:37 AM »
I had an electric typewriter when I was there.  It was awesome because I could enter a whole paragraph before it would type on the page therefore allowing me to correct any mistakes I made.

Everyone was jealous of me and my typewriter.

I was also in school when they replaced the old "card catalog" with a computerized version at the Memorial Library.  I thought that was incredible!

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 08:08:17 AM »
the 28.8kbps "pool" of "modems"

My first modem was 1200 baud.  All my 110 baud acoustic coupler friends were sooo jealous.

Of course, most websites were 300 baud at the time.

(Oh, and that modem cost $550 in 1979)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 07:21:31 PM »
My first modem was 1200 baud.  All my 110 baud acoustic coupler friends were sooo jealous.

Of course, most websites were 300 baud at the time.

(Oh, and that modem cost $550 in 1979)

You're a youngster.  Mine was a 300 baud.  I also had a TAPE CASSETTE drive at one point.  I crap you not.  A regular tape cassette for data storage.

Thinking back to the original thread starter, when I worked at MU from 1995 until 1999 there were a few years with basically no connection at all.  The office had Apple IIe machines, it was brutal.  Then we got a few computers along with the ability to get on the internet as well as the LAN.  It was a T1 back then for the entire campus.  Yowza, and we thought that was fast.   ;D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 08:08:04 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

bma725

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 07:58:41 PM »
Underclassmen can now eat at the AMU and the Brew using their "swipes". Hours at McCormick and other dorms have been significantly extended. When I was a frosh/sophomore we could only go to the dining halls during meal periods (breakfast, lunch, dinner), I believe the dining halls are open now during all hours minus sleep time. This is the info I've been given as an upperclassmen. Probably not all fact, but the limits on eating have been repealed. I guess it's sour grapes, but the new dining rules are way better than they were even 2-3 years ago.

They must have changed the rules twice then, because the rules you are describing sound a lot like the rules when I was a freshman/sophomore years ago.  We had 3 meal plan options, two of which offered weekly amounts that could only be used during the regular hours at the dorms.  But there was also the flex plan, and if you used that you could swipe as many times as you wanted at the Annex, Brew, or the restaurant/bar that used to be in the basement of the union.  Plus you could use it for things like two liter bottles of soda or personal pan pizzas as well.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 08:41:48 AM »
I had an electric typewriter when I was there.  It was awesome because I could enter a whole paragraph before it would type on the page therefore allowing me to correct any mistakes I made.

Everyone was jealous of me and my typewriter.

I had one of those too, and a lot of people were jealous.  I, on the other hand, was jealous of people like Chico and Hilltopper who had computers.  If I wanted to use a computer, I had to go to the library basement and wait in line.

I'll grant that I was not a computer whiz at the time (quite the opposite), but what I remember being amazed by while at Marquette was the entire concept of the hard drive.  I remember the first time I saw one of my friends who had a hard drive (maybe 10 megs) and I was totally in awe.  "You mean you don't have to put the floppy in when you want to run a program...wow!"
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Gwaki

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 06:56:55 PM »
this is amazing news!!!@ However it took long enough...

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 11:41:13 PM »
this is amazing news!!!@ However it took long enough...

I feel as though it's become worse since the advent of many more TV shows being broadcasted online, actually.  It's superconvenient except that most of the time it's superslow  :-\

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 02:10:57 AM »
You know, back in my days....oh never mind, you wouldn't understand...but it involved a strange piece of equipment referred to as a "modem", and if you connected into the 28.8kbps "pool" of "modems", you were lucky.  And then we connected into a strange thing called "Gopher"

Man, I'm old.  Luckily the internet was at least being invented when I was still in school  :o

p.s. - for the "old timers" - did you know you can still access gopher sites...at least it works with firefox... hah
  gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/ 

Oh, I WAS soooooo there.

I remember wanting to go "online" late at night, but the loud modem's crickety-crack would bother my roommate and wake him up.

And there are these rooms which you can interact with people and type commands so they can get bonked on the head like a fairy.

Those MUDs really wasted weekends in O'D with the guys.  :D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 02:13:21 AM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

yellow chickens

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 09:06:55 PM »
I work in the wired office so I am on some network email list and for the first time there was one that was noteworthy.  The size of the internet pipe for students is going to be increased significantly. (from 100 meg to 700 meg). This work is intended on being complete by the end of February. This upgrade to the network will require a network outage so it may have to wait until spring break.

did it happen?? doesn't seem any faster...

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 09:48:20 PM »
I had one of those too, and a lot of people were jealous.  I, on the other hand, was jealous of people like Chico and Hilltopper who had computers.  If I wanted to use a computer, I had to go to the library basement and wait in line.

I probably waited in line next to you at one point.  I remember my sophmore year when a guy on my floor at Schroeder got a computer with a freaking COLOR monitor.  My jaw hit the floor.  After that I got pissed every time I had to sit in front of my monochrome monitor, which was basically until I got a job after graduation.

goldeneagles09

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 09:35:10 AM »
The Schroeder dining hall is now "Cafe Italiano"...you get one large dish of quality Italian food - lasagna, pastas, paninis, etc. It's great if you don't live there, but if your only option is Italian food all day it gets pretty gross after a while. Also, Marquette Place in the Union has a grill, Mexican, salad, sandwich, and sushi place where you can get one meal for a swipe, but again the option is limited.

They also have dining dollars so now you get, depending on your meal plan, extra money at no additional expense so you can eat at places like the Annex or buy food at the Natural Market in the AMU, or get different meals in the AMU. At Marquette place you can use the dining dollars to get better quality meals. The lines are nuts now though.

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2009, 01:43:40 PM »
did it happen?? doesn't seem any faster...

You know, given the conspicuous lack of IT emails from Kathy Lang, yellowchickens, I think it's safe to say we've been had :(