[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tim Floyd out at USC  (Read 7230 times)

Mayor McCheese

• All American
Re: Tim Floyd out at USC
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2009, 07:38:57 AM »

I thought Mayo ended up at USC because he wanted:
1. To play in a major media/NBA market.
2. Play for a former NBA coach.

If I am remembering correctly, he wasn't even offered by USC.  I think he recruited himself to USC.  (Unless that is just the story.)

I know he committed to USC without even visiting, which is just fishy in my books.  From the east coast, commits to west coast team without even taking a look at the campus.  Maybe his form of visiting the campus was watching the O.C. and The Hills.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2009, 08:37:19 AM »
My call for the next coach at USC...Bobby Knight.  I was out in LA last year, and saw the entire basketball facility.  It is beautiful, and will draw recruits like crazy.  The only reason Mayo went there is because no one else has made a name for themselves recently at USC.  He wanted to be the face of USC for the rest of his life.  Bobby Knight could walk to Venice Beach and recruit a million players.  He would turn them into hard nosed basketball players, and they would stop recruiting Lil Romeo's.

Bobby Knight would be a perfect hire, but not because he would recruit a bunch of top players.  (He never really did that at Indiana.)  He would be perfect because he runs squeaky clean programs, and his players graduate, which is exactly the right message that SC should send now.  You are right...they will play hard and they will win enough to make the NCAAs...but he is a short-timer who can at least get the program back on the right track.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2009, 09:17:48 AM »
As long as SC is cleared of major violations, I say he probably will. I personally believe that Rodney Guillory is a liar. Think about it, if you supposedly held the keys to a talent like O.J. Mayo and wanted to profit off of that, wouldn't you charge more than $1,000?

It makes absolutely zero sense.

That's all they know about.  no one said that was all guillory received.  they just said they know Floyd gave him $1,000.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2009, 12:05:15 PM »
Anyone else enamored with the NCAA/NBA under 20 rule and how it's done wonders to the college and pro game?

Good lord, NCAA/NBA. Get your head out of your arse. This rule is an abysmal failure. See Mayo, OJ and Rose, Derrick.

Niv,

We are completely on the same page on this.  Hasn't anyone notice that these "players" who are destined for the NBA are causing a bulk of the problems?  It's because there is no need for a college education.  They just need to showcase their skills for one year and they are done.  Be damned what happens to their "alma mater".

This doesn't even go into how these one and doners are stealing a scholarship from a a student-athlete who could very well end up needing the degree.

The NBA has succesfully screwed college basketball once again.  First, their rule changes had found their way into collegiate athletics.  Now we are getting their players for a year... I am sure the NCAA is loving it but it is not in the interest for "true fans" in the long run.  Up next... zone will be disallowed in NCAA!   ::)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2009, 12:17:22 PM »
Niv,

We are completely on the same page on this.  Hasn't anyone notice that these "players" who are destined for the NBA are causing a bulk of the problems?  It's because there is no need for a college education.  They just need to showcase their skills for one year and they are done.  Be damned what happens to their "alma mater".

This doesn't even go into how these one and doners are stealing a scholarship from a a student-athlete who could very well end up needing the degree.

The NBA has succesfully screwed college basketball once again.  First, their rule changes had found their way into collegiate athletics.  Now we are getting their players for a year... I am sure the NCAA is loving it but it is not in the interest for "true fans" in the long run.  Up next... zone will be disallowed in NCAA!   ::)

Nice indentation!

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2009, 09:06:55 PM »

Andy Katz was on PTI the other day talking about Tim Floyd, and they asked him about the age minimum rule.  Katz said that the NABC, the coaches association part of the NCAA, is pushing for the NCAA to put in a "sign with a school & you're locked in for 3 years" rule.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2009, 09:15:06 PM »
Andy Katz was on PTI the other day talking about Tim Floyd, and they asked him about the age minimum rule.  Katz said that the NABC, the coaches association part of the NCAA, is pushing for the NCAA to put in a "sign with a school & you're locked in for 3 years" rule.

The NBA is going to have to agree with this though.  I mean, the NCAA can try to make them do this, but the players are going to be able to leave if they want as long as the NBA drafts them.

I honestly don't see the problem here.  The last two NCAA champions have had no one and done players.  Teams have been left in turmoil who have recruited such players.  Message to NCAA coaches?  Don't recruit such players.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2009, 09:25:25 PM »
Sounds like the same rule as baseball - but in baseball the kids have a chance to go to the minors for a few years instead of college.