collapse

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[May 04, 2024, 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[May 04, 2024, 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Best Burger you ever ate  (Read 45957 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: Best Burger you ever ate
« Reply #150 on: October 06, 2014, 08:49:22 AM »
Anyone been to Kuma's Corner on Belmont?  I moved sort of close.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #151 on: October 06, 2014, 09:27:29 AM »

Yep, it's good.

I like Bad Apple a bit better, plus it's right by Half Acre.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #152 on: October 06, 2014, 09:44:25 AM »
Yep, it's good.

I like Bad Apple a bit better, plus it's right by Half Acre.

Been to Bad Apple a bunch of times. That place is great. Their burgers are good, but their beer selection is even better.

Half Acre is a fun brewery tour.

Will have to get to Kuma's soon.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #153 on: October 06, 2014, 10:19:03 AM »
hmm, the 'big and gooey' at Woodys on St. Pete Beach- especially at midnight when they drop the price to $5.  Locally, the 'Hogg burger' at Hogg Alley in Delafield.
Thanks.  Now everybody knows.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #154 on: October 10, 2014, 09:03:18 PM »
don't know if i missed it somewhere in here, but has anyone tried the heart attack grill?  they have waitresses dressed up as nurses or something.  i think they are in arizona?  their burgers are named after bypass surgery-single, double, triple, etc.  they also were met with controversy by the media cuz of the analogies to health issues so they must be good ;D  couldn't ask for any better free pub
don't...don't don't don't don't

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #155 on: October 10, 2014, 09:14:30 PM »
don't know if i missed it somewhere in here, but has anyone tried the heart attack grill?  they have waitresses dressed up as nurses or something.  i think they are in arizona?  their burgers are named after bypass surgery-single, double, triple, etc.  they also were met with controversy by the media cuz of the analogies to health issues so they must be good ;D  couldn't ask for any better free pub

That place is gross.  They put an entire stick of butter in their milkshakes.  They refuse to serve water because it doesn't have any calories.  Anyone who weighs over 350 pounds eats free, and they have a  scale with a  big digital display (a la "The Biggest Loser")out front to see if you qualify.
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #156 on: October 11, 2014, 12:56:10 PM »
Original billy goats is amazing.
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #157 on: October 12, 2014, 06:06:32 PM »
That place is gross.  They put an entire stick of butter in their milkshakes.  They refuse to serve water because it doesn't have any calories.  Anyone who weighs over 350 pounds eats free, and they have a  scale with a  big digital display (a la "The Biggest Loser")out front to see if you qualify.

quadriple bypass burger=10,000 calories.  the owner posed with the cremated remains of a customer stating that he "now i make good money joking about how bad my food is" jon basso the owner says.  they have had multiple customers die at the grill including 2 spokespeople.  one was wheeled away on a stretcher trying to finish a burger.  he says that he is just trying to be honest about how unhealthy fast food is as opposed to mickey-d's and burger king. interesting read:

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/10/05/heart-attack-grill-owner-proudly-displays-dead-customers-remains-on-tv/

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #158 on: October 12, 2014, 06:30:09 PM »
quadriple bypass burger=10,000 calories.  the owner posed with the cremated remains of a customer stating that he "now i make good money joking about how bad my food is" jon basso the owner says.  they have had multiple customers die at the grill including 2 spokespeople.  one was wheeled away on a stretcher trying to finish a burger.  he says that he is just trying to be honest about how unhealthy fast food is as opposed to mickey-d's and burger king. interesting read:

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/10/05/heart-attack-grill-owner-proudly-displays-dead-customers-remains-on-tv/

Still doesn't belong in a "best burger" thread.  Best marketing, maybe.....
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #159 on: October 12, 2014, 08:19:32 PM »
Still doesn't belong in a "best burger" thread.  Best marketing, maybe.....

i'm not sure, but if you've been there and can attest to their burgers just being artery cloggers and not good tasting, cool.  however, if i am in the vicinity of one in las vegas which i do go thru fairly often on my way to lake havasu city, i think i would have to check it out just for grins.  i'll just take a couple aspirin as a pre-med to thin the blood a little first.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #160 on: October 12, 2014, 08:25:20 PM »
Eliminatin' the bun would be the first step in healthy burger eatin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #161 on: October 12, 2014, 10:03:09 PM »
Eliminatin' the bun would be the first step in healthy burger eatin', hey?

Oh, I don't know about that, Doc. I find that a well trimmed burger is usually the most juicy and yields the finest flavor.

Death on call

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #162 on: October 13, 2014, 11:43:37 AM »
Red Cow is great.  I also recommend Blue Door near Selby and Fairview in St Paul, get the Jiffy Burger.  Great beers on tap too.

Blue Door has a great burger and $2 any tap at happy hour.  Great deal.  They opened a 2nd location on 42nd Ave S in Mpls.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #163 on: October 13, 2014, 01:12:28 PM »

My son, who lives fairly close, loves Kuma's.

Not sure if this place was already mentioned because I don't feel like going through the entire thread: Flub a Dub Chubs is a little, unassuming place at Broadway and Wellington. Outstanding burgers on fresh pretzel buns. Usually ranked in the "best burger" articles in local magazines and newspapers. Great hot dogs, too, but I loved their burgers. Less expensive and less hyped than many others.

Having said all that ...

Most of the best burgers I have eaten in my lifetime have been the ones I have grilled for myself with the fresh toppings I have put on them. Making a great burger ain't exactly rocket science.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #164 on: October 13, 2014, 01:43:49 PM »

Not sure if this place was already mentioned because I don't feel like going through the entire thread: Flub a Dub Chubs is a little, unassuming place at Broadway and Wellington. Outstanding burgers on fresh pretzel buns. Usually ranked in the "best burger" articles in local magazines and newspapers. Great hot dogs, too, but I loved their burgers. Less expensive and less hyped than many others.

Love Flub's for their hot dogs, but I've never heard a peep about their burgers from anyone. I'll definitely have to do some extensive personal research.

Off topic, but if you're by Flub's, check out Chilam Balam next door. BYOB small plates Mexican place that is fantastic. Fancier food than your typical Mexican restaurant and worth every penny.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #165 on: October 13, 2014, 01:47:49 PM »

Having said all that ...

Most of the best burgers I have eaten in my lifetime have been the ones I have grilled for myself with the fresh toppings I have put on them. Making a great burger ain't exactly rocket science.

I'm not gonna lie, I think using a pretzel bun disqualifies you as a best burger...it's basically cheating.  Yes, the bun is critical to a good burger but you should have to create your own bun, any idiot can make a pretty good burger on a pretzel bun.   ;D
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #166 on: October 13, 2014, 05:16:00 PM »
Oh, I don't know about that, Doc. I find that a well trimmed burger is usually the most juicy and yields the finest flavor.

beautiful!  well stated!  i couldn't figure out a way to say that any better without being mysogynistic-left it for a pro-thanks keefe

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #167 on: October 13, 2014, 06:34:11 PM »
Trick is findin' a well trimmed burger. Most of us who graduated prior to 2000 don't see that very often, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #168 on: October 13, 2014, 07:27:16 PM »
I'm not gonna lie, I think using a pretzel bun disqualifies you as a best burger...it's basically cheating.  Yes, the bun is critical to a good burger but you should have to create your own bun, any idiot can make a pretty good burger on a pretzel bun.   ;D

Interesting. I think any restaurant that uses a great pretzel bun deserves kudos!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #169 on: October 13, 2014, 07:28:40 PM »
Love Flub's for their hot dogs, but I've never heard a peep about their burgers from anyone. I'll definitely have to do some extensive personal research.

Off topic, but if you're by Flub's, check out Chilam Balam next door. BYOB small plates Mexican place that is fantastic. Fancier food than your typical Mexican restaurant and worth every penny.

Yes, check out their burgers. Outstanding.

We used to live on Wellington and Sheridan (in a building owned by the Wirtz family, who actually were decent landlords, believe it or not). Loved me some Chilam Balam!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #170 on: October 13, 2014, 10:01:20 PM »
Trick is findin' a well trimmed burger. Most of us who graduated prior to 2000 don't see that very often, hey?

Indeed. I find that a well trimmed burger delivers a superior multi-sensory experience. Not only is the presentation more stunning but the visual cue of a hint of pink weeping juicy goodness communicates the cut is appropriately aged and has been prepared properly. Older beef can become tough and full of gristle with an excessive fat content; one can almost hear the tired flesh nagging at you from the plate throughout the meal.

Finally, the well trimmed burger has decidedly less gaminess than its more natural sister. Whether from diet or grooming, the well trimmed burger has none of that piquant pungentness that can be found in a burger lurking beneath a heavy coat of garnish. That aroma takes on added vengeance in summer when a man is more inclined to indulge his hunger for burger.

Death on call

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #171 on: October 14, 2014, 07:57:53 AM »
Just had the Big Gringo at Oscar's last night....Deeeeeeelectable!  Best burger I've had in Milwaukee and replaces my previous favorite, Jake's in Brookfield.  Love the brew selection there as well.  Not many places have Anchor Steam on tap.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #172 on: October 15, 2014, 06:30:27 PM »
Just had the Big Gringo at Oscar's last night....Deeeeeeelectable!  Best burger I've had in Milwaukee and replaces my previous favorite, Jake's in Brookfield.  Love the brew selection there as well.  Not many places have Anchor Steam on tap.

Good choices.  Wisco burger at Jake's?  If Jake's had Oscar's fries I'd be in Heaven.  That's my only problem with Jakes...have to order fries separately.  Definitely have to order a side of the cheese sauce with those too.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #173 on: October 16, 2014, 08:47:00 AM »
Good choices.  Wisco burger at Jake's?  If Jake's had Oscar's fries I'd be in Heaven.  That's my only problem with Jakes...have to order fries separately.  Definitely have to order a side of the cheese sauce with those too.

Love the Wisco Burger.  I do agree that ordering the fries separately is annoying, but they are pretty good(Oscar's are better).  Also Oscar's has a better beer selection.

I have a friend that started a Burger of the Month club here in Milwaukee, where once a month he picks a supposedly good burger place and a date/time.  We all meet up, have burgers, beer, and good conversation and then score the burger.  Things like quality of add-ons, beer selection, and fries are judged as part of it.  Couldn't recommend it highly enough.

It's been really enlightening about what's good and not good about Milwaukee area burgers.  One big take away has been made to order.  The group that attends changes from month to month depending on availability but we've had anywhere from 4 to 12 people at places and a good spectrum of temperature preference.  The majority like medium, some medium rare and some well done(I don't get that but whatever).  The biggest knock every where we've been has been either a lack of consistency in cooking to order or not cooking it to order at all.  One place we went, we were all given a choice of pink or no pink, all 6 people choice pink and not one of us had any pink in our burgers.  Has anyone else seen this phenomenon?  Is it a fear of litigation, poor grill management, or just inconsistency of what medium is?  What brought this up was, at Jake's I've always had it cooked right, but the night we were there for our burger club half the table(12 people) got things cooked correctly the other half(all med-rare or med) had them overcooked.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #174 on: October 16, 2014, 09:23:17 AM »
How do 'all make the best burgers @ home?

Bring the meat to close to room temp, use a seasoned cast iron skillet (also salt the pan too), get it blazing hot, about hockey puck sized patties around 1/3 of lb., 80/20...3-4 minutes a side, finished a few minutes in 250* oven.

Toppings: the classic, good sliced american cheese, kosher pickles, yellow mustard, shredded lettuce, few red onions.  Toasted bun, that is not too big, but large enough to hold everything together.

feedback