Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: When The Music's Over  (Read 9376 times)

muhoops1

• All American
Re: When The Music's Over
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 04:41:47 PM »
If Gonzaga was on this side of the rockies, I would advocate moving heaven and earth to get them.    Cross country flights through the rockies in January, February, and March is a very strong deterrent to me. 

Most Jets go "over" the Rockies these days.  Spokane has a reasonable airport (a bit smaller than MKE).  They'll be fine.  No worse than going to New Jersey that time of year.

bkooncy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 04:56:52 PM »
Most Jets go "over" the Rockies these days.  Spokane has a reasonable airport (a bit smaller than MKE).  They'll be fine.  No worse than going to New Jersey that time of year.

I was in Spokane's airport in 2006 and it was much smaller than MKE.  However, it is one of the most beautiful cities, and has a great basketball tradition over the last 10 years.  But does Georgetown want to travel 3000+ every year to play in a harsh venue to a good basketball team?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 05:13:15 PM »
As far as keeping Buzz, Hunt's article yesterday said Buzz "rolled his eyes" at the Tulane addition.  Having your administration champion a move to a better conference while letting you take care of the coaching, putting together a nice non-con schedule (even though it didn't fuly materialize), not hesitating to let you reel in Chew from a B1G school, ponying up more cash to bring in Wainwright and Reynolds...considering how many head coaches become discontent at fighting to be able to get the school to pay their assistants, how many are in limbo from realignment, etc. I would be pretty happy with the support if I'm Buzz. 

LA

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2012, 10:12:30 PM »
I agree that travel concerns would be a major road block for the Zags joining. If you want the Bay Area though why wouldn't you choose St. Mary's over USF? They have had much more recent success and a more involved fan base than USF.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2012, 11:11:01 PM »

The C7 situation might not be ideal (2005-2009 was ideal), but it's better than CUSA, and it's better than where the Big East is headed in 2014.

Reality

muguru

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2012, 11:29:40 PM »
Idk, I still am concerned about this "new" conference. People can say "it's better then the new BE", and indeed it is. However, all MU has played in is the old BE, and so right or wrong, that's what you compare it to. And in that case, this is a major step down. Now, I'd be much more excited if Cincy, Uconn, Memphis and Temple were to be asked to join. Now you're talking strong hoops!! So UCONN and Cincy want to leave?? A. You need someplace to go and they have nowhere right now. B. So what if they do?? Just go add the next two best BB schools and away you go again. C.They can park their football somewhere else and help make this an even more elite hoops conference.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2012, 11:33:49 PM »
Idk, I still am concerned about this "new" conference. People can say "it's better then the new BE", and indeed it is. However, all MU has played in is the old BE, and so right or wrong, that's what you compare it to. And in that case, this is a major step down. Now, I'd be much more excited if Cincy, Uconn, Memphis and Temple were to be asked to join. Now you're talking strong hoops!! So UCONN and Cincy want to leave?? A. You need someplace to go and they have nowhere right now. B. So what if they do?? Just go add the next two best BB schools and away you go again. C.They can park their football somewhere else and help make this an even more elite hoops conference.

Realignment never ends then. This is the worst option.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2012, 11:41:59 PM »

Temple shouldn't get you excited. At all.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2012, 08:34:41 AM »
Temple shouldn't get you excited. At all.

They do far more than STL or Dayton do.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2012, 08:47:43 AM »
They do far more than STL or Dayton do.

Doesn't matter. Villanova won't want to bring them in.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2012, 09:14:39 AM »
i'm really interested to see how this plays out over the next 5-10 years...while i understand it's not the BEAST of 2005, it's also not a conference owned by football, with some pretty solid teams in it.  different from the A-10 in quality from top to bottom.  so, the question to me is how future recruits react to this. 

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2012, 09:16:12 AM »
Please remember that Marquette made a commitment to being competitive for a national championship. The strategic plan was based on three factors: a world class training facility, an exceptional coach, and a top conference.

With the AL and TC and now Buzz we have two prongs complete.

The reason for splitting (or controlling) the Big East is because Marquette will not subject itself to a second rate conference. Georgetown and Villanova, in particular, agree. The overall prestige of our institutions are at issue. This is why the A10 is not going to happen. The Catholic 7 will return the Big East to its earliest roots or build a new hyper-competitive conference. The conference will only include like-minded institutions committed to excellence.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 09:20:42 AM by Avenue Commons »
We Are Marquette

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2012, 10:02:12 PM »
As far as keeping Buzz, Hunt's article yesterday said Buzz "rolled his eyes" at the Tulane addition.  Having your administration champion a move to a better conference while letting you take care of the coaching, putting together a nice non-con schedule (even though it didn't fuly materialize), not hesitating to let you reel in Chew from a B1G school, ponying up more cash to bring in Wainwright and Reynolds...considering how many head coaches become discontent at fighting to be able to get the school to pay their assistants, how many are in limbo from realignment, etc. I would be pretty happy with the support if I'm Buzz. 
this
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2012, 10:40:40 PM »
The C7 need to add the best programs possible to keep the conference's RPI as high as possible, which is exactly why Gonzaga needs to be in the mix. And as for these objections based on travel, an earlier post said they have their own plane. Based on some comments, you'd think they traveled to all road games by covered wagon.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2012, 10:51:50 PM »
Idk, I still am concerned about this "new" conference. People can say "it's better then the new BE", and indeed it is.

Stop right there.  Nothing else matters.  What's past is past. 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2012, 09:58:42 AM »
If MU and X are on par with each other in big picture then conference we land in means little. I hold a 45 year history in higher regard than most I guess.

Holding history in high regard is great but when it comes to present-day mindset, the recent past reflects perception. You can't expect everyone to get a 45 year grace period when determining their place on the scale. If that was the case, Wisconsin would be a laughingstock and I don't think anyone with a reasonable mind would claim that to be true.

Then again, the arrogance of the Marquette fan has never been absent since day one I became affiliated with the University so I'm sure you're right about the food chain in the end.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2012, 10:06:24 AM »
Over the last decade.

Final Fours: MU-1; X-0
Elite 8s: MU-1; X-2
Sweet 16s: MU-3; X-5

While it they have been more successful on some measures, I am not sure it is enough to put them on par with MU on the "food chain."  I mean, historically MU has three final fours and a national championship - and Xavier has never reached that level. 

Wait, what season did Marquette reach the Elite Eight in the last decade?

You're certainly not bending reality by including an Elite Eight achievement in their 02-03 Final Four appearance, are you?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2012, 10:08:30 AM »
Wait, what season did Marquette reach the Elite Eight in the last decade?

You're certainly not bending reality by including an Elite Eight achievement in their 02-03 Final Four appearance, are you?

Not sure how that is "bending reality."  It's the truth.  Just like I counted the S16 appearances for X in the same years they went to the E8.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2012, 10:18:57 AM »

Not sure how that is "bending reality."  It's the truth.  Just like I counted the S16 appearances for X in the same years they went to the E8.

That is bending. On both accounts. But I understand different people have different standards.

Your achievement for the season is the last round you play in. I can't imagine in two months hearing the PA in the BMO encouraging the crowd to applaud the Elite Eight achievement from the 02-03 season. But maybe so.