collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Dunk Contest  (Read 4926 times)

wadesworld

• All American
NBA Dunk Contest
« on: February 14, 2016, 12:56:08 PM »
Was last night's the best ever? I'm too young to know anything beyond the highlights of MJ/Dominique so I really don't know, but that was by far the most entertaining dunk contest I've ever seen. LaVine and Gordon put on a show. Felt like a video game.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 01:43:41 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

Re: NBA Dunk Contest
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 01:48:31 PM »
Was last night's the best ever? I'm too young to know anything beyond the highlights of MJ/Dominique so I really don't know, but that was by far the most entertaining dunk contest I've ever seen. Levine and Gordon put on a show. Felt like a video game.

Best since the 80s.

Great show, but couldn't match early days of Dr. J, Dominique, Michael, Drexler, and Spud Webb, not to mention David Thompson of the old ABA. I have yet to see anyone get as high as quick as Thompson.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 01:55:01 PM »
Dude, dude, dude, yes.  Ridiculous.  I am also too young to remember MJ and Nique contest, but of all the dunk contests that I have seen, this one has been the best that I have ever seen.  Not only was it the best, but it was the best BY A MILE.

Allow me to save some Scoopers a few seconds of time

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/u7VgkfcSYz0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/u7VgkfcSYz0</a>

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 02:23:50 PM »
I take MJ and Nique back at Chicago Stadium I think it was 88.  Jordan only won because he was at home.
Back then all the dunks were game dunks that those guys made to look so effortless.  The other difference was it was one miss and you were done. Those 2 would just get up and throw them down one after another.  Nique with power and MJ defying gravity
Maybe the greatest dunk ever was Terrance Stansberry Statue of liberty.  A 360 from just inside the FT line.

That said last night was amazing.  Gordan bringing the ball under his legs and jumping over the mascot was the dunk of the night.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 02:29:17 PM »
If you went back and looked at the 80s dunk contests, it wouldn't seem like a big deal.  We have fond memories of them now because they were a new thing back then.  And there wasn't nearly the number of NBA games on television as you see now so a lot of these guys seemed more "mythical" than they really were.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 02:44:49 PM »
Dude, dude, dude, yes.  Ridiculous.  I am also too young to remember MJ and Nique contest, but of all the dunk contests that I have seen, this one has been the best that I have ever seen.  Not only was it the best, but it was the best BY A MILE.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/u7VgkfcSYz0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/u7VgkfcSYz0</a>

Didnt watch it, but those highlights were pretty dang fun. 

Also, they hype guys on the bench are great. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 03:17:21 PM »
I was at the Chicago Stadium in 1988 for MJ/Dominique. It was amazing, electric - but those dunks last night were more spectacular than anything I saw that night.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 03:41:01 PM »
Hank told us that they would put quarters on the top of the backboard and Thompson would grab them.

Frosh year when Hank and Rick came to Schroeder basement to tell us about a kid from Maywood.

brandx

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 04:22:26 PM »
Hank told us that they would put quarters on the top of the backboard and Thompson would grab them.

And leave change.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 08:44:51 PM »
Spud Webb

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 08:50:54 PM »
I lost interest in the dunk competition many years ago, but some of those highlights were pretty great. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 10:10:38 PM »
I lost interest in the dunk competition many years ago, but some of those highlights were pretty great.

I had lost interest in it until LaVine last year. Until the day that guy dies if he is in a dunk contest I will watch it. He has springs like I've never seen before.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 10:12:47 PM »
I had lost interest in it until LaVine last year. Until the day that guy dies if he is in a dunk contest I will watch it. He has springs like I've never seen before.

Definitely has hops....complete douche at UCLA, but he can dunk a ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 10:14:14 PM »
I take MJ and Nique back at Chicago Stadium I think it was 88.  Jordan only won because he was at home.
Back then all the dunks were game dunks that those guys made to look so effortless.  The other difference was it was one miss and you were done. Those 2 would just get up and throw them down one after another.  Nique with power and MJ defying gravity
Maybe the greatest dunk ever was Terrance Stansberry Statue of liberty.  A 360 from just inside the FT line.

That said last night was amazing.  Gordan bringing the ball under his legs and jumping over the mascot was the dunk of the night.

I honestly can't decide why was the dunk of the night. Gordon's dunk under his legs/over the mascot, through the legs over the mascot, spinning with the mascot spinning, and off the side of the basket were all ridiculous. LaVine's through the legs from (almost) the free throw line, bounce to himself behind the hoop, and windmill from the free throw line were all awesome. But I think my favorite was LaVine's first dunk.

Heck, Gordon's last dunk of the night would've been the best dunk in any contest since maybe Vince Carter? And yet last night it just made you go, "meh." The hang time required for that was crazy. I'm not sure many NBA players could've done that on a 9 foot hoop unless they could dunk from standing on the ground at 9 feet.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 10:16:45 PM by wadesworld »

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 08:03:47 AM »
I honestly can't decide why was the dunk of the night. Gordon's dunk under his legs/over the mascot, through the legs over the mascot, spinning with the mascot spinning, and off the side of the basket were all ridiculous. LaVine's through the legs from (almost) the free throw line, bounce to himself behind the hoop, and windmill from the free throw line were all awesome. But I think my favorite was LaVine's first dunk.

Heck, Gordon's last dunk of the night would've been the best dunk in any contest since maybe Vince Carter? And yet last night it just made you go, "meh." The hang time required for that was crazy. I'm not sure many NBA players could've done that on a 9 foot hoop unless they could dunk from standing on the ground at 9 feet.
The 2000 contest in Oakland is what I was thinking as the best contest since the MJ/Wilkins era.  I was there and I can tell you the atmosphere was absolutely incredible. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 08:55:28 AM »
I watched this year's contest with my daughter, and I think it was the best contest I can remember in a long, long while.  I thought Gordon's dunks were better and more exciting to watch.  I knew going in that Lavine had won, so every time I saw Gordon unleash another 50 dunk, I couldn't imagine what Lavine was going to do to match it.

I can't imagine how three judges decided that Gordon's last dunk was only a nine.  That was incredible.  I wondered if it was because of the two attempts to bounce off the shot clock, but even Shaq gave Gordon a 10 on the dunk and he was the judge who was penalizing guys for missing on the first attempt.  That final dunk was not a 47.

I thought Lavene was awesome, but I guess I'm not quite as enamored by the "take off at the free throw line" dunks as the judges were -- that's why I thought Gordon's was better.  Still, I think they probably deserved 50s.  I think both probably should have got a 50 in the final round and it should have continued.  On the other hand, maybe it's a good thing that they stopped it before one of them spoiled his performance with a dunk that took five attempts.

One last thing for Drummond:  if the skill required for the pass overshadows the dunk, it's probably not going to be a winner for you.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 09:42:04 AM »
I thought Lavene was awesome, but I guess I'm not quite as enamored by the "take off at the free throw line" dunks as the judges were -- that's why I thought Gordon's was better.  Still, I think they probably deserved 50s.  I think both probably should have got a 50 in the final round and it should have continued.  On the other hand, maybe it's a good thing that they stopped it before one of them spoiled his performance with a dunk that took five attempts.

I think that's the difference between us mere mortals and NBA players.  Those judges all can dunk, T-Mac used to throw down hard, so they have an idea of the difficulty.  I think Lavine's insane hops almost took something away from it cause he made it look so damn effortless.  When you have guys that can dunk with flair being blown away, thats when I realize the difficulty level.

I also think Gordon ran out of ideas whereas Lavine had rounds in the chamber.  There is no way to know they would go to double OT, so I can't fault Gordon for pulling out stuff too early, but that was clearly the case.  Lavine was enthusiastic about pushing for more dunks and as he went on, he was able to keep increasing his level of difficulty.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 10:02:26 AM »
Only saw the highlights.

My question: How many tries did these guys get to make the dunk? Did they nail most of these on the first try? I remember the old "two attempts" days but I also remember Nate Robinson taking something like 14 attempts to make a dunk...and winning. Once a dunk is attempted and missed, it takes a lot of luster off of the made attempt.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2016, 10:12:20 AM »
My question: How many tries did these guys get to make the dunk? Did they nail most of these on the first try? I remember the old "two attempts" days but I also remember Nate Robinson taking something like 14 attempts to make a dunk...and winning. Once a dunk is attempted and missed, it takes a lot of luster off of the made attempt.

They nailed all those big dunks on the first try.  Shaq made it pretty clear earlier in the competition that if they wanted a 10 from him, they had to hit it on the first try.  So, all the dunks in the finals and extra rounds were made on the first try.

Before he did his final dunk, Gordon apparently was thinking about trying to do one with a bounce off the shot clock.  He tossed it up there a couple of times, but never tried a dunk.  I think a couple of the judges might have held that against him, but -- interestingly -- not Shaq.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 11:03:14 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2016, 11:00:14 AM »
My memories go all the way back to the epic ABA dunk contests of the '70's.  And after the last five or ten years worth of ho-hum dunk contests I had lost interest in the event.  But this one really was special--I couldn't believe what those two guys were doing!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2016, 11:37:09 AM »
Spud Webb getting called for goaltending was more impressive than his dunks.  Still in college at NC State.    Loose ball scrum under the basket, the opposing big picks up the ball and goes up for a little jump hook from about 6 feet.   Out of nowhere, this little head comes up out of the scrum and this little hand goes up and swats it away.    A clear goaltend, but absolutely ridiculous.   
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 11:39:57 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2016, 01:21:32 PM »

After having watched that, Gordon got robbed.  That dunk where he brought the ball under his legs while jumping over the mascot is the best dunk I have ever seen.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2016, 01:39:03 PM »
After having watched that, Gordon got robbed.  That dunk where he brought the ball under his legs while jumping over the mascot is the best dunk I have ever seen.

That was an amazing dunk.  I think the announcers said it well.  The winner was correct on the collection of dunks and how they score it, but the best dunk was that one.  Pretty amazing dunk.  The one with the hoverboard is great, too.  Having been on my kids board many times, the timing of that one is great.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 01:41:44 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2016, 05:52:27 PM »
That was an amazing dunk.  I think the announcers said it well.  The winner was correct on the collection of dunks and how they score it, but the best dunk was that one.  Pretty amazing dunk.  The one with the hoverboard is great, too.  Having been on my kids board many times, the timing of that one is great.
Yes, I thought he had three incredibly strong dunks -- all involving the mascot.  I guess I am just not that interested in the free throw line dunks...they don't seem that difficult for these guys and are repetitive. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2016, 09:00:31 PM »
Yes, I thought he had three incredibly strong dunks -- all involving the mascot.  I guess I am just not that interested in the free throw line dunks...they don't seem that difficult for these guys and are repetitive.

Yeah, watched it again tonight.  Agree with you.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2016, 10:01:30 PM »

Next time you're on a basketball court just try jumping from the free throw line (or with your shoe just into the paint) and landing under the hoop.  You'll probably fall at least 6 feet short.  Then remember that you also have to have your feet above a 10 foot high hoop and throw a basketball down into it.  Then imagine having to do that while doing a windmill or through the legs.  Those dunks are absolutely, insanely, ridiculously difficult.  How many times have you seen anybody dunk from a free throw line ever?

Every single one of those dunks they did was completely absurd.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2016, 10:14:21 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2016, 10:17:18 PM »

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2016, 07:21:53 AM »
Next time you're on a basketball court just try jumping from the free throw line (or with your shoe just into the paint) and landing under the hoop.  You'll probably fall at least 6 feet short.  Then remember that you also have to have your feet above a 10 foot high hoop and throw a basketball down into it.  Then imagine having to do that while doing a windmill or through the legs.  Those dunks are absolutely, insanely, ridiculously difficult.  How many times have you seen anybody dunk from a free throw line ever?

I am 44 years old with two shot knees so whatever I am able to accomplish isn't really relevant  ;D

I'm not saying it's easy (especially for mere mortals like us)...just that it's been done in these contests multiple times so loses a bit on the originality side.  On the other hand, I have never seen somebody jump over a 6'+ mascot in a seated position before so that appealed to me more. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2016, 07:44:08 PM »
i remember as a kid(1970's) going to bucks games hoping to see just a few dunks.  that was before collapsible rims and countless broken backboards.-gus johnson, darryl(chocolate thunder) dawkins.  charlie hentz of the old ABA broke 2 in one game in 1970.  eventually some braniac who must have been sick and tired of the 30-60 minute delay to get a new backboard put up-as a kid, loved it.

haven't looked it up, but when did they finally allow dunking in college??  after lew and elvin and....

http://www.liquisearch.com/slam_dunk/notable_dunks/broken_backboards
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2016, 07:45:41 PM »
i remember as a kid(1970's) going to bucks games hoping to see just a few dunks.  that was before collapsible rims and countless broken backboards.-gus johnson, darryl(chocolate thunder) dawkins.  charlie hentz of the old ABA broke 2 in one game in 1970.  eventually some braniac who must have been sick and tired of the 30-60 minute delay to get a new backboard put up-as a kid, loved it.

haven't looked it up, but when did they finally allow dunking in college??  after lew and elvin and....

http://www.liquisearch.com/slam_dunk/notable_dunks/broken_backboards

Dunking in college was disallowed from 1967 to 1976.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2016, 10:05:10 PM »

I'm sure a number of crotchety old East Coast sportswriters still consider that the Golden Years of "true fundamentals"

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2016, 08:39:29 AM »
Video compilation of every perfect score in dunk contest history.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS-JanlTT2o

brandx

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2016, 12:07:33 PM »

They thought that was the only way to stop Lew Alcindor.  it turned out to be the best thing for his career as he developed the "sky hook" because of the rule.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2016, 12:39:54 PM »

Exactly. Gordon's mascot ones were more eye popping and the over the mascot probably was the best of the night.

But some underestimate just how hard it is to do Lavines free throw dunks with tricks.

Gordon's was insane seeing a big man get that high.

But I'd venture to guess that Lavine could do his dunks a lot easier than Gordon could pull off LaVines free throw ones. Those take a special kinda ability.

Also when seeing these dunks compared to MJ/Wilkins you see how incredible they were. Easily better. So effortless.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2016, 12:41:30 PM »
Only saw the highlights.

Lavine got every dunk on the 1st try except one. He got that on second try.

Gordon I think did as well. Maybe he missed on 2? But I think it was just 1 and then the clock he tried to throw off twice but didn't actually dunk
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

feedback