[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129363 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #9925 on: March 05, 2021, 09:07:00 AM »
I think all the time and effort to create a national database or a vaccine passport is going to be irrelevant in just a few months.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9926 on: March 05, 2021, 09:08:59 AM »

Is this really the problem?  Locally the health care systems have done great. The problem is they simply don’t have enough shots and repeatedly have said that they could ramp it up if they had more to work with. Is this the exception?

That is also the case here in Minnesota. Mayo Clinic has the capacity to dramatically expand vaccine administration in Rochester and surrounding areas, and has been clamoring for more vaccines. The same is true for the healthcare systems in the Twin Cities and Duluth.

There may be gaps in more rural areas, but that represents a relatively small portion of the overall population.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 09:11:10 AM by GooooMarquette »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #9927 on: March 05, 2021, 09:11:32 AM »
I think all the time and effort to create a national database or a vaccine passport is going to be irrelevant in just a few months.

I agree .. although .. I think it will be handy for travel, especially international travel. 

No doubt, there's a short shelf life. 

• All American
« Reply #9928 on: March 05, 2021, 09:17:02 AM »
I agree .. although .. I think it will be handy for travel, especially international travel. 

That's a good point.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9929 on: March 05, 2021, 09:17:24 AM »

Probably...unless large percentages of people refuse to get the vaccine, in which case we never reach herd immunity. If that happens, I can see the vax-refusers getting excluded from some indoor activities and travel.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #9930 on: March 05, 2021, 09:18:41 AM »

Yeah, because Covid is the last pandemic or other crisis we will face. Let's not put an infrastructure in place.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #9931 on: March 05, 2021, 09:51:14 AM »
Probably...unless large percentages of people refuse to get the vaccine, in which case we never reach herd immunity. If that happens, I can see the vax-refusers getting excluded from some indoor activities and travel.

While I'd like to believe this would be the case, I don't think it would be. Once vaccines are sufficiently available for anyone who wants one to get one, I think all bets are off.  I don't see sports stadiums or airlines or music venues or any other private organization barring entry for lack of vaccination. Maybe you would see some of this for international travel based on the policies of the destination country, but I think thats about it.

• All American
« Reply #9932 on: March 05, 2021, 09:57:34 AM »
While I'd like to believe this would be the case, I don't think it would be. Once vaccines are sufficiently available for anyone who wants one to get one, I think all bets are off.  I don't see sports stadiums or airlines or music venues or any other private organization barring entry for lack of vaccination. Maybe you would see some of this for international travel based on the policies of the destination country, but I think thats about it.

Exactly.  Why would a sporting or concert venue go through the effort?  Anti-vaxxers may catch Covid and some may die.  Well....that's not the venue's fault right?  There's no liability involved.

Covid is going to be around.  It's going to get people sick and people are going to die.  And if it resembles something like a seasonal flu, or even a little bit worse, society is going to say "good enough!" and move on.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #9933 on: March 05, 2021, 12:21:07 PM »
The Onion has had fun with Texas the last two days with the following headlines:

“Texas Governor Announces State’s Morgues Now Allowed to Operate at 100% Capacity”

"COVID Announces Plan To Move Operations To Texas Full-Time To Escape Burdensome Regulations"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9934 on: March 05, 2021, 12:33:43 PM »
I saw a highlight of the Texas Tech student manager getting in the game and taking a charge last night (I think?).  The TTU fans were certainly taking advantage their new freedoms.  The student section looked fully packed, and I saw maybe a handful of masks being worn.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #9935 on: March 05, 2021, 01:38:54 PM »
Out of curiosity, since there is no national database, how are you going to connect to the various data sources to determine status? A clearing house? Connecting to 50+ data sources?
As chick pointed out, no national DB exists and would have violent push back from certain groups of people.
The bolded part. Already done.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #9936 on: March 05, 2021, 01:40:59 PM »
I hope so.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9937 on: March 05, 2021, 01:50:50 PM »
Is this really the problem?  Locally the health care systems have done great. The problem is they simply don’t have enough shots and repeatedly have said that they could ramp it up if they had more to work with. Is this the exception?

The problem I'm talking about is money.  They  government has stepped in to help, but still small providers are doing this at a loss.  Many aren't even willing to do it.  That doesn't mean we don't have enough capacity to get "shots in arms", but it does mean those doing it aren't going to be willing to shell out extra dollars to help provide a database.  Which is where my reply was directed.

I do agree though, that hopefully the need for some vaccine card goes away by the end of 2021 (but that would require a lot off effort around the world).

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9938 on: March 05, 2021, 05:31:08 PM »
The bolded part. Already done.

Just curious - do you have a sense of how well private healthcare systems have generally connected to their states’ respective vaccine databases?

I ask mainly because when my number comes up, I will be getting my shot directly from my healthcare provider, as opposed to a state- or county-run vaccine clinic.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #9939 on: March 05, 2021, 07:53:19 PM »
My health care system, Amita, a Catholic one, is woefully behind on vaccinating its patients, I don’t know if it’s even done any to be honest. They told me and others I know to go to a Walgreens or Mariano’s. Some have done a better job than others , Rush was way out ahead of others, right now it seems North Shore has pretty much ground to a halt with first doses. Others are slowly working through their patients by age pretty much but it’s very slow

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #9940 on: March 06, 2021, 08:18:16 AM »

I’ve posted a lot of garbage and bad links in the last 12 months including some stuff from RT🤦‍♂️

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #9941 on: March 06, 2021, 02:43:00 PM »
Just curious - do you have a sense of how well private healthcare systems have generally connected to their states’ respective vaccine databases?

I ask mainly because when my number comes up, I will be getting my shot directly from my healthcare provider, as opposed to a state- or county-run vaccine clinic.
I don't know the answer to that yet, unfortunately.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #9942 on: March 06, 2021, 07:54:41 PM »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9943 on: March 06, 2021, 10:47:00 PM »

If your healthcare provider uses Epic software (which the overwhelming majority of them do), it would be easy-peasy.  I switched healthcare organizations last year when I moved, and they were able to pull in all of my medical records from my old providers because they are all on the same system.
Have some patience, FFS.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9944 on: March 06, 2021, 10:55:52 PM »
If your healthcare provider uses Epic software (which the overwhelming majority of them do), it would be easy-peasy.  I switched healthcare organizations last year when I moved, and they were able to pull in all of my medical records from my old providers because they are all on the same system.

This is mostly correct (except perhaps for the pervasiveness of Epic, but that's another topic).  Goooooo has previously mentioned Mayo, and I *think* they're at least in the covid-vaccine sharing circle that Epic and Microsoft also participate (if they don't already use Epic), so I think it all should work with his state level system

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/digital-transformation/mayo-clinic-microsoft-epic-and-more-join-forces-to-improve-digital-covid-19-vaccination-records.html
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 11:13:44 PM by rocky_warrior »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9945 on: March 06, 2021, 11:07:38 PM »
This is mostly correct (except perhaps for the pervasiveness of Epic, but that's another topic).  Goooooo has previously mentioned Mayo, and I *think* they're at least in the covid-vaccine sharing circle that Epic and Microsoft also participate (if they don't alsready use Epic), so I think it all should wok with his state level system

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/digital-transformation/mayo-clinic-microsoft-epic-and-more-join-forces-to-improve-digital-covid-19-vaccination-records.html

Good to hear. Thanks all for the information.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #9946 on: March 07, 2021, 08:58:25 AM »

Yale scientists design wearable clip to detect SARS-CoV-2 air exposure
Yale researchers have developed a small silicone clip that can detect exposure to SARS-CoV-2.

SYDNEY GRAY
12:28 AM, MAR 04, 2021

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2021/03/04/yale-scientists-design-wearable-clip-to-detect-sars-cov-2-air-exposure/

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9947 on: March 07, 2021, 12:34:52 PM »
Yale scientists design wearable clip to detect SARS-CoV-2 air exposure
Yale researchers have developed a small silicone clip that can detect exposure to SARS-CoV-2.

SYDNEY GRAY
12:28 AM, MAR 04, 2021

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2021/03/04/yale-scientists-design-wearable-clip-to-detect-sars-cov-2-air-exposure/

That's really cool.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9948 on: March 10, 2021, 07:54:00 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/tomselliott/status/1369623714426454018

Experts: You gotta follow the science.

Us: Absolutely, please explain the data and science you’re seeing that says once vaccinated you shouldn’t travel.

Experts: there isn’t any, but do it anyway!!!

This fricking guy.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9949 on: March 10, 2021, 08:07:30 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/tomselliott/status/1369623714426454018

Experts: You gotta follow the science.

Us: Absolutely, please explain the data and science you’re seeing that says once vaccinated you shouldn’t travel.

Experts: there isn’t any, but do it anyway!!!

This fricking guy.

"Prove a negative"

He's erring on the side of caution, obviously.  It is a terrible question.  You can't just pull studies out of thin air, and there is no definitive data that vaccinated people can't asymptomatically spread the virus.

Once we KNOW that vaccinated people can't spread, then it will be fine to travel as usual if vaccinated.

Use your brain.

feedback