[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129355 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #5325 on: May 13, 2020, 04:43:35 PM »
If it is true that the actual increase overall is 1.5%, that's not "skyrocketing".  It's 75 cents on a $50 grocery bill.

And yes, I was at the grocery store a few days ago.  And I buy all of my meat at a local butcher who seems to have plenty of supply.

According to the Department of Labor and Statistics, meat and poultry prices were up 4.3% in April. Baked goods, cereals, were up 3%...etc....prices have been up significantly.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #5326 on: May 13, 2020, 06:51:16 PM »
This is scary stuff. Stalinist stuff. Putinish stuff. Name a murderous despot, and this is the kind of stuff he pulled.

I guess President Pandemic has little choice but to charge his predecessor with unnamed crimes now, though. He is one of the most disapproved-of presidents since approval polls were born 70+ years ago, and his inaction and lies contributed to a crisis that will result in the deaths of 100K+ Americans.

He spent 8 years trying (and failing) to prove that his predecessor was a Kenyan Muslim, so he might as well take another crack at him here.

As he liked to say before pushing a deadly, unvetted drug on COVID-19 patients (but a drug he no longer mentions because somebody finally was able to convince him that it was deadly and unvetted): What does he have to lose?

I am old enough to remember when we all cared about transparency, when we all cared about overreaching law enforcement and government.  Especially the FBI.  Hoover had bad things going on, and we protested the CIA in the 60's and 70's, but it appears not much has changed.  They should release all the documents to the American people to decide.  Whether COVID is going on our not, Americans deserve to know if we were put through charade for a few years and the most recent information sure makes it appear to be the case.  It also fits perfectly into the man you and I don't care for because he will say a much better COVID response could have happened it if weren't for a dumb impeachment on charges that appear more and more to have been based on nothing.  He is going to go there, and if more documents support that, he will have a strong escape hatch to say gov't was obsessed with stupid political games for several years the culminated around the same time a world wide epidemic was about to hit our shores.   

Release all the documents.  Transparency used to matter, why doesn't it now?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5327 on: May 13, 2020, 06:54:44 PM »

Transparency used to matter, why doesn't it now?

Agreed. Let’s see POTUS’ tax returns.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #5328 on: May 13, 2020, 07:18:29 PM »

On board, sir
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5329 on: May 13, 2020, 08:02:49 PM »

Keep in mind, we should all be well aware by now he agrees those should be released as he’s a lifelong Democrat. He only speaks out against Democrats because he wants it to be “both sides,” as he says over, and over, and over, and over.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5330 on: May 13, 2020, 08:19:49 PM »
According to the Department of Labor and Statistics, meat and poultry prices were up 4.3% in April. Baked goods, cereals, were up 3%...etc....prices have been up significantly.

I am not arguing whether or not grocery prices are up are not.  My point was that this news show began a story declaring that grocery prices had skyrocketed, and then went on to say that the actual increase was 1.5%. 
Have some patience, FFS.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #5331 on: May 13, 2020, 08:51:28 PM »
I am not arguing whether or not grocery prices are up are not.  My point was that this news show began a story declaring that grocery prices had skyrocketed, and then went on to say that the actual increase was 1.5%.

It's the largest one month price increase for groceries since February of 1974. The report itself from the Department of Labor Statistics uses the term "sharply" increased. The numbers are considered significant.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 09:52:29 PM by shoothoops »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5332 on: May 13, 2020, 09:26:27 PM »
went to HyVee today, first time hitting a full grocery shop since shut down.

It was weird some of the things that were out of stock (frozen pizzas, cream cheese, goldfish).  Milk and eggs were fully stocked.  But TP was still hammered.  They were selling individual rolls out of an industrial box for a buck.

Plus, damn near everything was on sale.

GMA was breathless with their reporting on the increase in grocery prices too, FWIW.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #5333 on: May 13, 2020, 09:44:43 PM »
That's not quite true.
The head of IDPH discussed this yesterday.

“There are also some additional deaths that happen in someone who happened to be COVID positive, but where the COVID infection had nothing to do with the deaths,” she said. “So we are at IDPH trying to remove those obvious cases where the COVID diagnosis was not the reason for the death. If there was a gunshot wound, if there was a motor vehicle accident, we know that that was not related to the COVID positive status.
“We are trying to make sure that things that aren’t related at all to the COVID diagnosis are removed, but if someone has another illness, like heart disease, and then had a stroke or other event, it’s not as easy to separate that and say COVID didn’t exacerbate that existing illness. That would not be removed from the count,” she added.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/coronavirus/dr-ngozi-ezike-refutes-notion-that-illinois-is-over-counting-covid-19-deaths/2270810/

Then she changed what she said three weeks ago.

https://youtu.be/H5FdnrRR2iY 
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #5334 on: May 13, 2020, 09:48:04 PM »
Have we every quarantined the healthy before?  A few more doctors asking that question again.  Doesn't that hurt our immunity?   It feels backwards.
— Plato

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5335 on: May 13, 2020, 10:58:52 PM »
Have we every quarantined the healthy before?  A few more doctors asking that question again.  Doesn't that hurt our immunity?   It feels backwards.

Yep...during the Spanish Flu pandemic. And we learned that the earlier and more aggressive measures actually worked. In fact, Milwaukee was one of the leaders in reducing deaths by closing things down.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200330110344.htm

According to the data and analysis, cities that adopted early, broad isolation and prevention measures -- closing of schools and churches, banning of mass gatherings, mandated mask wearing, case isolation and disinfection/hygiene measures -- had lower disease and mortality rates. These cities included San Francisco, St. Louis, Milwaukee and Kansas City, which collectively had 30% to 50% lower disease and mortality rates than cities that enacted fewer and later restrictions. One analysis showed that these cities also had greater delays in reaching peak mortality, and the duration of these measures correlated with a reduced total mortality burden.

"The stricter the isolation policies, the lower the mortality rate," says Dr. Pambuccian. He studied the Spanish flu, including prevention measures and outcomes, to help develop standards for staffing and safety in the cytology lab, where infectious diseases like the COVID-19 virus are diagnosed and studied at the cellular level. His broader article appeared online this week in the Journal of the American Society of Cytopathology.

——————
If we could do it in 1918, we sure as hell should be better prepared today.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5336 on: May 13, 2020, 11:21:51 PM »

Being reactive to a deadly virus seems smart. Unfortunately the administration running the country has seemed to think it’s smart too.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #5337 on: May 13, 2020, 11:53:43 PM »

Is there something about pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic spread you don't understand?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5338 on: May 14, 2020, 07:32:37 AM »
went to HyVee today, first time hitting a full grocery shop since shut down.

It was weird some of the things that were out of stock (frozen pizzas, cream cheese, goldfish).  Milk and eggs were fully stocked.  But TP was still hammered.  They were selling individual rolls out of an industrial box for a buck.

Plus, damn near everything was on sale.

GMA was breathless with their reporting on the increase in grocery prices too, FWIW.

As someone who has been to the grocery stores in the area and has dealings with them on an every day basis, the things that are out of stock are on trucks headed to the store, they'll be there in a day or so if you go.  People are just overbuying and going to the store less often.  When this is all said and done, I wonder how much food with end up in the trash instead of mouths.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5339 on: May 14, 2020, 07:44:11 AM »
As someone who has been to the grocery stores in the area and has dealings with them on an every day basis, the things that are out of stock are on trucks headed to the store, they'll be there in a day or so if you go.  People are just overbuying and going to the store less often.  When this is all said and done, I wonder how much food with end up in the trash instead of mouths.

FYI, generic response, not directed at you Hards

This is one of the artifacts of the sensationalism from media. The supply chain has some kinks and things to work out but it's not on the verge of collapse that some in media would have you believe.

Great resource for solid reporting and understanding of some of the different areas in the economy is the Freakonomics podcast by Stephen Dubner(one of the authors of Freakonomics)
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5340 on: May 14, 2020, 07:48:04 AM »

This is one of the artifacts of the sensationalism from media. The supply chain has some kinks and things to work out but it's not on the verge of collapse that some in media would have you believe.

Great resource for solid reporting and understanding of some of the different areas in the economy is the Freakonomics podcast by Stephen Dubner(one of the authors of Freakonomics)

It can be both.  There will be some shortages of items in the short term.  There are already limits on a ton of items at the local stores here in Dane Co.  But the supply chain will figure it out.  There is money to be made and logistics haven't been impacted.  Prices will climb and that only makes sense.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #5341 on: May 14, 2020, 07:57:55 AM »

Actually one of the most hyperbolic sources about food supply warnings was....the food companies.  I've found the media to be pretty fair.  I am sure there is some hyperbole and 'attention grabbing' headlines though. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tyson-foods-chairman-warns-food-supply-chain-breaking-n1193256

https://www.wsj.com/articles/smithfield-ceo-warns-of-risks-to-pork-supply-11586730489

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #5342 on: May 14, 2020, 08:22:43 AM »

I say that everytime someone walks past me with a cart filled higher that they can see.  A lot of food will get wasted over the next few months

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5343 on: May 14, 2020, 08:32:09 AM »
I say that everytime someone walks past me with a cart filled higher that they can see.  A lot of food will get wasted over the next few months

It's hard though, right?  You want to limit trips to the store so you stock up on more food.  But that means you are probably buying things you don't normally buy.  Or you're buying more shelf stable foods.  I think in a year or two there will be some sort of Facebook or Twitter challenge where people show off their food that they horded in the time of the 'rona.  Expiration dates and volume will be some strange badge of honor.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5344 on: May 14, 2020, 08:37:22 AM »

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #5345 on: May 14, 2020, 08:40:46 AM »
It's hard though, right?  You want to limit trips to the store so you stock up on more food.  But that means you are probably buying things you don't normally buy.  Or you're buying more shelf stable foods.  I think in a year or two there will be some sort of Facebook or Twitter challenge where people show off their food that they horded in the time of the 'rona.  Expiration dates and volume will be some strange badge of honor.

family of 6 2 teenage boys and 12 year old twin girls i need to go every week just to keep up and my cart is pretty full.  I have found myself planning meals out much further though and trying to decrease the random trips for this or that

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #5346 on: May 14, 2020, 08:42:44 AM »
Maybe good news?

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1260672217710501904

That is great hopefully all the states opening up does not move this the other way

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5347 on: May 14, 2020, 08:44:52 AM »
Maybe good news?

Hard to say, honestly.  I think most of the dropping has happened in the NY/NJ/CT area, but I could be wrong.  So while yes, overall cases are dropping, we have seen spikes outside of the tri-state area.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #5348 on: May 14, 2020, 08:46:39 AM »
Maybe good news?

This could be great news, particularly if it holds as the reopenings continue.

As an aside, I find Dr. Gottlieb to be a great source of info - right up there with the govt experts.  He gets policy/systemic mixed with science mixed with pragmatism in his opinions.

I was on a call where he was speaking earlier this week.  He is encouraged that we get a break this summer on the epidemic.  He was discouraged by our patch-work approach.  Felt that if we have weak-link states on testing & tracing we should just resign ourselves to prepare for another epidemic in the fall with severe stress on the health system.  He said there is still time to change course, but it will likely require a few states to prepare at a different level than they are today.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5349 on: May 14, 2020, 08:47:33 AM »
Interesting discussion about the belief that unemployment leads to higher mortality rates. Some studies suggest that the mortality rate actually has gone down during periods of unemployment.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article242688251.html?

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback