[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129362 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #3125 on: April 04, 2020, 05:15:48 PM »
We could have a president who could potentially lose it at some point during his term or we could continue with a president who has never had it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #3126 on: April 04, 2020, 05:16:50 PM »
See, you have NO response for it, do you??...Dr Fauci(who everyone says is an Expert and they listen to him) says "This is nothing for the US to worry about". How come?? People don't like the agenda destroyed, that's why.

Besides, you're just a youngin yet Johhny...You have a lot to learn about stuff yet, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Debating hoops with u is already tiring enough. Aint gettin in a debate with you about the orange man 🥳

muguru

• All American
« Reply #3127 on: April 04, 2020, 05:17:39 PM »
He says the average American doesn't need to be afraid of this, right then, but that we need to be concerned and prepare, which was what the CDC was doing.

That was before the WHO confirmed person-to-person spread, they confirmed it that same day as the interview (Jan. 21st).

Compare that to the commander in chief, who on Feb. 26th said that within a couple days there would be zero cases in the US. And on March 4th said it was "very safe to fly".

Even now, we have massive failures out of the Oval Office. There is chaos, and it is due to a lack of leadership, and a lack of leadership owning their mistakes. A good start would be a smidgeon of honesty.

I ask you this in all honesty because you seem like a reasonable guy, and since no one has ever answered this, when I have asked this before...were you honestly expecting ZERO deaths from this?? That's how some people act, no doubt. Are we 100% certain that a quicker response would have "saved lives"?? What if those people infected would have died anyway?? I just have a hard time with the outrage over this when I never see people outraged this much over all the people that die from the flu every year, or suicide, or any other reason. Now, death matters more and people are outraged?? That confuses me.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #3128 on: April 04, 2020, 05:18:43 PM »
Debating hoops with u is already tiring enough. Aint gettin in a debate with you about the orange man 🥳

Cuz you'll lose, just like in hoops  ;D

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3129 on: April 04, 2020, 05:24:40 PM »
I ask you this in all honesty because you seem like a reasonable guy, and since no one has ever answered this, when I have asked this before...were you honestly expecting ZERO deaths from this?? That's how some people act, no doubt. Are we 100% certain that a quicker response would have "saved lives"?? What if those people infected would have died anyway?? I just have a hard time with the outrage over this when I never see people outraged this much over all the people that die from the flu every year, or suicide, or any other reason. Now, death matters more and people are outraged?? That confuses me.

Heres what could have made a difference

**a coordinated testing plan with widespread testing available

**ramp up of production of PPE and ventilators.

**a coordinated and timed nationwide stay at home plan

**a better coordinated economic plan

Instead the administration downplayed the problem for too long and now it’s all catch up. And even now, we do not have coordinated stay at home which is going to make this last longer.

And you are STILL comparing this to the flu?  Wake the f**k up.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #3130 on: April 04, 2020, 05:25:09 PM »
I like covfefe hamberders.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3131 on: April 04, 2020, 05:32:16 PM »

You can go back to the beginning of this thread. I always thought there would be deaths. Especially if we didn't act fast. I was optimistic initially that we could still get ahead of this, I honestly didn't believe we could have been failing so terribly on testing. I also didn't fully appreciate the delay between initial infection and hospitalization (often 2-4 weeks), but I was expecting a lot of deaths.

And yes, we are 100% certain that a quicker response would have saved lives. If we had adequate tests right away, we could have done widespread testing and contact tracing of everyone returning from possible infection spots overseas. And once there was domestic spread continued such testing like was done in Germany.

I don't think we could have completely stopped spread, because there is a human element to this, but we failed in an epic manner. Back on Feb. 1st, I met with colleagues that do epidemiologically models (their's has been very accurate), they spelled out then two scenarios, one with the testing we should have done, the other with what was going on. They also said what we should do to limit the spread (social distancing). The number of lives it cost is huge.

Equally as important, is the economic cost. If we had adequate testing and protocols in place from the beginning, we may not have had to shut down everything, or at least done so on a more limited schedule. How much we could have stopped the shut down, depends on if we shut down travel with Europe earlier, instead of saying "air travel is very safe".

This is not the flu. New Orleans had as many people die from COVID in 6-days, as died the entire 2018 flu season. That is with shutting everything done, and sheltering-in-place. Very likely some of us on here will either lose loved ones, or possibly lose our own lives to this. A lot of those lives could have been saved. And sadly, we are still not getting the leadership we need.

To be fair though, I liken this situation to being dealt a bad poker hand. You're almost certainly going to lose, but how much you lose depends how we play the hand. Right now, we've tried to bluff our way to a victory. COVID was never going to fold. So now the question moving forward is to we keep pushing our money into the pot and possibly go all in (open everything back up), or do we cut our loses and get out while we can (shut things down for 2-3 months). We aren't getting the money (mistakes) we put in already back, the focus needs to be on making sure we don't keep making mistakes.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 05:34:18 PM by forgetful »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3132 on: April 04, 2020, 05:34:23 PM »
A few questions for discussion:

1. Why should the testing/treatment of Corona be free, but other health problems (especially life-threatening such as cancer) shouldn't be free?

2. If we can afford a $4.5 trillion bailout of corporations, can't we afford medicare for all or other proposed expensive policies?

3. If you believe the government response to this pandemic has been an overreach, did you also believe the government response to 9/11 was an overreach?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3133 on: April 04, 2020, 05:41:20 PM »

Instead the administration downplayed the problem for too long and now it’s all catch up. And even now, we do not have coordinated stay at home which is going to make this last longer.

Bingo.

See South Korea. They completely schooled Trump on how to deal with this. Zero deaths? Nope. But a hell of a lot better job of pandemic management than Trump’s. SK was acting, while Trump was telling us not to change our daily routines because “one day - it’s like a miracle - it will disappear.”

And for the long delay between that and his long-belated admission that this really IS a big deal, he will forever shoulder the blame.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3134 on: April 04, 2020, 05:50:18 PM »

1. Why should the testing/treatment of Corona be free, but other health problems (especially life-threatening such as cancer) shouldn't be free?

2. If we can afford a $4.5 trillion bailout of corporations, can't we afford medicare for all or other proposed expensive policies?

3. If you believe the government response to this pandemic has been an overreach, did you also believe the government response to 9/11 was an overreach?

A few thoughts:

1. COVID-19 is unique, because prompt testing of one person might prevent another hundred (or more) from getting sick. The combination of transmissibility and severity is like nothing we have seen in our lifetimes. I can see arguments for free testing for other conditions, but none as compelling as this.

2. We probably can’t afford both...but I would prefer that we spend the money on healthcare as opposed to corporate welfare. The question is whether our legislators and POTUS have the political will to make big donors and lobbyists unhappy. I won’t hold my breath.

3. I don’t think the government is overreacting to COVID-19; I think it should have acted sooner and in a more coordinated and scientifically based manner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #3135 on: April 04, 2020, 05:51:34 PM »

I am NOT comparing it to the flu...I asked a question and as you always do, when you have no way out and have been beaten, you do a "run around" and "dodge". People are OUTRAGED about people dying from Covid-19, how come there isn't the same kind of outrage when people die from other ways?? No one screams then and acts all disturbed and angry like they are now.

Also, the second part of my question was...how do we know for CERTAIN more lives would have been saved?? That's an assumption isn't it?? Those people could have died anyway, right??

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #3136 on: April 04, 2020, 05:54:18 PM »

Citizens who lost health coverage in past 2 weeks due to economic collapse:

USA 3,500,000
Australia 0
Belgium 0
Canada 0
Chile 0
Denmark 0
Finland 0
France 0
Germany 0
Greece 0
Hungary 0
Italy 0
Japan 0
New Zealand 0
Norway 0
Portugal 0
S Korea 0
Spain 0
Sweden 0
Turkey 0
UK 0

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3138 on: April 04, 2020, 06:00:38 PM »
I am NOT comparing it to the flu...I asked a question and as you always do, when you have no way out and have been beaten, you do a "run around" and "dodge". People are OUTRAGED about people dying from Covid-19, how come there isn't the same kind of outrage when people die from other ways?? No one screams then and acts all disturbed and angry like they are now.

Because controlling the spread of the virus can save lives.  Because getting control of the virus is essential to getting the economy running again.  Because getting control of the virus will allow our health care system and workers to not collapse. 

Guru this is a global test.  So far we are doing average on the health response.  Still to be seen how we stuck up against the developed world in final form.  This isn’t going away. 

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #3139 on: April 04, 2020, 06:22:17 PM »
Because controlling the spread of the virus can save lives.  Because getting control of the virus is essential to getting the economy running again.  Because getting control of the virus will allow our health care system and workers to not collapse. 

Guru this is a global test.  So far we are doing average on the health response.  Still to be seen how we stuck up against the developed world in final form.  This isn’t going away.

I get guru's points.  The question i have had all along is if shut everything down for 2-3 months what happens when we come back and open things up.  Is it really better?  Are the deaths just spread out over a longer period of time so it appears better.  China is almost 6 months into this and do they have a drug out there to lesson the impact once you have it.  All I hear is about items that may lesson the impact or get people better but nothing concrete.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3140 on: April 04, 2020, 06:27:27 PM »
I get guru's points.  The question i have had all along is if shut everything down for 2-3 months what happens when we come back and open things up.  Is it really better?  Are the deaths just spread out over a longer period of time so it appears better.  China is almost 6 months into this and do they have a drug out there to lesson the impact once you have it.  All I hear is about items that may lesson the impact or get people better but nothing concrete.

The fatality rate would be much higher if we all get this at once because essentially no one gets the hospital bed.  Time allows more care and buys time for therapeutic treatment and vaccine.  Also if we ever get control of this thing you can test and contact trace outbreaks.  Finally I am convinced normal is not coming until there is a vaccine.  There are multiple countries that are seeing cases pop back up like Singapore and Hong Kong. 

So not the same deaths.  I can tell you that if this is uncontrolled the economy will be hit hard regardless.  Imagine a whole plant getting sick. 

Also we need a system for after we get control.  Antibody tests to clear people officially.  Intrusive contact tracing and tracking on cell phone.  Maybe other things.  I think if we get serious about this and getting the economy going, we will need to give up some civil liberties for a period of time.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 06:30:11 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3141 on: April 04, 2020, 06:29:52 PM »

Also, the second part of my question was...how do we know for CERTAIN more lives would have been saved?? That's an assumption isn't it?? Those people could have died anyway, right??

If you believe the modeling done by epidemiologists, yes. An earlier coordinated response would have saved lives.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #3142 on: April 04, 2020, 06:58:22 PM »
The fatality rate would be much higher if we all get this at once because essentially no one gets the hospital bed.  Time allows more care and buys time for therapeutic treatment and vaccine.  Also if we ever get control of this thing you can test and contact trace outbreaks.  Finally I am convinced normal is not coming until there is a vaccine. There are multiple countries that are seeing cases pop back up like Singapore and Hong Kong. 

So not the same deaths.  I can tell you that if this is uncontrolled the economy will be hit hard regardless.  Imagine a whole plant getting sick. 

Also we need a system for after we get control.  Antibody tests to clear people officially.  Intrusive contact tracing and tracking on cell phone.  Maybe other things.  I think if we get serious about this and getting the economy going, we will need to give up some civil liberties for a period of time.

That is what scares me.  normal not coming until a year from now would be insane!!
It would seem to be easier to put restraints on those that or more at risk.  I know everyone is at risk but if you take say anyone over 60 and those with underlying conditions that have had shown to give more problems and have them stay at home.  This would seem lesson the burden on the health care systems and also keep the country moving

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3143 on: April 04, 2020, 07:06:47 PM »
That is what scares me.  normal not coming until a year from now would be insane!!
It would seem to be easier to put restraints on those that or more at risk.  I know everyone is at risk but if you take say anyone over 60 and those with underlying conditions that have had shown to give more problems and have them stay at home.  This would seem lesson the burden on the health care systems and also keep the country moving

I think we are saying the same thing in that it’s not normal to have to lock up 60 year olds or not seeing your parents.  That too will impact the economy.  They are the ones with all the money to spend!   Odd times.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3144 on: April 04, 2020, 07:07:01 PM »
The fatality rate would be much higher if we all get this at once because essentially no one gets the hospital bed.  Time allows more care and buys time for therapeutic treatment and vaccine.  Also if we ever get control of this thing you can test and contact trace outbreaks.  Finally I am convinced normal is not coming until there is a vaccine.  There are multiple countries that are seeing cases pop back up like Singapore and Hong Kong. 

I agree that we won't be fully back to normal for a year+ as we wait for a vaccine. Our chance to make it less than that has now past.

Based on some potential antibody based therapies, I'm optimistic we might be able to get to some semblance of normal by mid to late fall. The problem with this is, people would still be getting sick and some dying. We would just have a potential treatment to lessen the impact enough to possibly warrant opening a lot of things back up.

Let's also all hope that things do indeed calm down some in summer. Otherwise this is going to be a long and catastrophic process (more catastrophic than it already is).

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3145 on: April 04, 2020, 07:14:18 PM »
When did we - as a nation - stop listening to experts within their respective fields? And why?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3146 on: April 04, 2020, 07:18:31 PM »
When did we - as a nation - stop listening to experts within their respective fields? And why?

About 3.5 years ago.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3147 on: April 04, 2020, 07:27:05 PM »
New York Gets Ventilators From China; Trump Wants More Thanks

https://apnews.com/24b8b30cbc11c43a19e7e7aff69e4044

Just the headline says a lot: people are dying, and Trump is focused on a perceived lack of praise. And before anyone screams “fake news,” note that this is a story from AP, which is widely viewed as an unbiased news source.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #3148 on: April 04, 2020, 07:28:22 PM »

The simplistic answer is the advent of social media--quacks and charlatans now have an outlet.

The nuanced answer is that intra-discipline debates can be more widely seen, again a result of the internet. 

Expert A says X, Expert B says not X (or at least, says Y, which is interpreted through people's confirmation bias as "not X"). 

Prior to the internet, this war was waged in academic journals, etc.  But now, with a 24-news cycle having to compete with the always-running internet, expert battles are waged in public.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #3149 on: April 04, 2020, 07:32:56 PM »
About 3.5 years ago.

You have cause and effect reversed.