[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Markus Howard Injury - What it shows about the team  (Read 17899 times)

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
Re: Markus Howard Injury - What it shows about the team
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2020, 02:30:44 PM »
About 90% of the posters in here have no clue what I'm even talking about.  They're comfortable with their participation ribbons for "winning" even though there's a breakdown on offense.  It's so sad how mediocrity has permeated American culture.  Nonetheless, I will continue my symposium on pointing out the poor coaching methods of Wojo and eventually bring the "less fortunate" into the information age.

You're not open the eyes of a generation. You're just annoying 50 people on a message board.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2020, 02:31:33 PM »
If you're miserable that there's an opportunity for this team to improve then I'd say you're the one who has priorities out of order here.  Again, if you can't handle constructive criticism then go hang on a thread where everyone pats each other's glutes after every game.  I point out the flaws of where this team can improve and my underlying theme has always been that Wojo isn't a good coach for the following reasons:

A. Severe inconsistencies in offensive/defensive schemes
B. In game adjustments/execution are often lacking
C. Lack of fostering continuity on defense/offense
D. Reacts rather than being proactive
E. Relies on Howard too much, Gives Howard too much power which limits team offensive production
F. Player development has been shoddy

Every game I comment on, at least one of these issues rears it's ugly head.  The point being, that no matter who walks through that recruiting door, Wojo will never get the max potential out of his teams.  Something will always be left on the table, hence the ceiling is always limited here.  If we win by 3, we probably should have won by 7 or 8.   If we lose by 25, we should have lost by 15.   The margin of error is just too high with Wojo coaching and when it comes to the postseason, that becomes much more prominent.

Other posters repeatedly use facts and statistics to prove many items on your list wrong. But here you are still with the lies. Just like saying Wojo didn't tell the team to foul.

Keep up the lies though

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2020, 02:51:43 PM »
MDDG and others like him expect people to ignore reality and accept their Pollyanna view of BEast basketball.

In their warped view, injuries, fatigue, opponents, road games, limited roster, etc, shouldn't be considered when evaluating a win or a loss.

They expect, or more accurately, DEMAND perfection regardless of the circumstances.

A win is never good enough and a loss is unforgivable.

They seem to think that Wojo should draw up a game plan and if he's a good coach it will go off without a hitch.

They must have forgotten the famous Mike Tyson quote.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2020, 02:54:06 PM »
If you're miserable that there's an opportunity for this team to improve then I'd say you're the one who has priorities out of order here.  Again, if you can't handle constructive criticism then go hang on a thread where everyone pats each other's glutes after every game.  I point out the flaws of where this team can improve and my underlying theme has always been that Wojo isn't a good coach for the following reasons:

A. Severe inconsistencies in offensive/defensive schemes
B. In game adjustments/execution are often lacking
C. Lack of fostering continuity on defense/offense
D. Reacts rather than being proactive
E. Relies on Howard too much, Gives Howard too much power which limits team offensive production
F. Player development has been shoddy

Every game I comment on, at least one of these issues rears it's ugly head.  The point being, that no matter who walks through that recruiting door, Wojo will never get the max potential out of his teams.  Something will always be left on the table, hence the ceiling is always limited here.  If we win by 3, we probably should have won by 7 or 8.   If we lose by 25, we should have lost by 15.   The margin of error is just too high with Wojo coaching and when it comes to the postseason, that becomes much more prominent.

I don't know why someone didn't let you know at as young age that you are not smarter than everyone else. Just more annoying.

But, I guess that is your goal.

burger

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2020, 03:01:23 PM »
The problem is.....He lays out good points and bitches.....

I believe his solution.....and that is part of the problem......I would assume he is in the fire WOJO camp.....

I believe there can be a middle ground.....

WOJO is a good "manager of the program".....and his recruiting has steadily improved.....His in-game coaching management is inadequate and a "senior" advisor should come in and infuse ideas and thoughts....

Clearly fouling in a tie game leaves a lot to be desired.....Just one example.....

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2020, 03:08:00 PM »
Imo, this was probably Wojo's best job as a coach and it was certainly a good/great win considering the absence of Markus.

It is also a solid observation about running a more balanced offense.  Markus is an amazing scorer but the team would be stronger and more dangerous if three people are doing the scoring on a regular basis.  I think that is just common sense.

Valid points on both sides and both are correct.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2020, 03:09:22 PM »
yes, this.  Markus goes down last year and Sam steps up and goes for 30+. Last night Koby and Sacar are able to step up and show what they have. Better ball movement, defense not able to key on one individual.  This is going to be a better team next year.

If you think last night was an example of better distribution and movement without Markus you might want to watch the game again.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2020, 03:15:17 PM »
not really easy to watch the field goal drought between the Symir basket @ 7:13 and Koby's basket @ 1:27

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2020, 03:16:34 PM »
Good grief.

Gang, just enjoy last night. Warts and all.

It was a win.

It was an important win.

We're improving bit by bit.

Enjoy it and worry about the end of the season at the end of the season.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2020, 03:39:26 PM »
About 90% of the posters in here have no clue what I'm even talking about.  They're comfortable with their participation ribbons for "winning" even though there's a breakdown on offense.  It's so sad how mediocrity has permeated American culture.  Nonetheless, I will continue my symposium on pointing out the poor coaching methods of Wojo and eventually bring the "less fortunate" into the information age.
Offense is ranked higher than last year so far, so no.
Goal is National Championship

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2020, 03:40:47 PM »
About 90% of the posters in here have no clue what I'm even talking about.

The most accurate thing you've ever written here.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2020, 03:41:19 PM »
WOJO is a good "manager of the program".....and his recruiting has steadily improved.....His in-game coaching management is inadequate and a "senior" advisor should come in and infuse ideas and thoughts....

Like who?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2020, 03:44:38 PM »
Like who?

That's a tough ask. 

We know that Buzz had Jerry Wainwright.  Al even had Hank.  Wojo needs something similar.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2020, 03:48:07 PM »
Really? Please point out even the faintest political reference there and I will apologize.

I mean come on, Doc, call a spade a spade, OK?
He is proof that grain less diet is terrible for the brain
Goal is National Championship

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2020, 03:52:32 PM »
Last night was not an example of better ball movement without markus

This is entirely correct.  There was one stretch against Georgetown where Markus sat for a four minute stretch or so due to foul trouble and we moved the ball well and got layups and open threes and scored on all but one possession.  Not last night.  Our offense was pretty stagnant with and without Markus, but our defense was stellar and we made some big, tough shots when it counted.  Hardly an offensive clinic.  That was what gutting out a win looks like.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2020, 03:55:31 PM »
That's a tough ask. 

We know that Buzz had Jerry Wainwright.  Al even had Hank.  Wojo needs something similar.

That's essentially what Rob Judson's role us supposed to be.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2020, 03:59:23 PM »
That's a tough ask. 

Buzz had jerry for two years one of which was crap it's not like jerry was there the whole time.
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2020, 04:00:01 PM »
That's a tough ask. 

Buzz had Jerry Wainwright for two years.  Al inherited Hank - and it was a much different era than it is now.

There aren't a lot of seasoned, moderately successful coaches that are yearning to become assistants.  Most of them are likely Judson types - which is who MU has now.  Or maybe they could find a guy who was successful at the D2 or D3 levels.  I don't know.

But this keeps getting brought up here like those are easy people to find.  And they aren't.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2020, 04:01:57 PM »
That's essentially what Rob Judson's role us supposed to be.
Just in case people don't know his background.
https://gomarquette.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/rob-judson/442

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2020, 04:07:37 PM »
This is probably a really stupid idea, but maybe Wojo could hire a guy like Tony Smith in this kind of role.

https://247sports.com/college/miami/Article/Hall-of-Famer-Ed-Reed-has-been-hired-as-chief-of-staff-at-Miami-Hurricanes-143107179/

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2020, 04:07:42 PM »
Another assistant isn't going to make a world of a difference.  If you don't have the ingame coaching skills, you just don't have them after 21 years of being on the sidelines.  It's not something that is going to magically appear all of a sudden...

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2020, 04:10:13 PM »
Mike Deane is available.
Ludum habemus.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2020, 04:16:11 PM »
M.D. is just what the doctor ordered to cure those game-bench coaching blues.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2020, 04:16:37 PM »
Mike Deane is available.

He's retired now.  Let the legend enjoy his golden years.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2020, 04:20:49 PM »
MDDGs Jedi mind trick may have worked on some of you but I'm calling BS

Wojo coached Marquette to a double overtime win under extremely adverse conditions and people are falling for this change in the narrative.

Weak minded fools.

feedback