[Today at 10:35:46 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by #UnleashSean
[Today at 09:35:14 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Carton is the Key  (Read 3360 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Carton is the Key
« on: January 12, 2021, 10:23:28 PM »
He has to take control of this team for us to reach our ceiling.  We've seen flashes but his leadership is critical down the stretch in close games.  Very impressed with DG tonight and JLew had several huge plays.  Imo Carton has to usurp a leadership role and get us organized.   Just my personal take.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 10:28:34 PM by MuggsyB »

MU82

• All American
Re: Carton is the Key
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 10:32:58 PM »
There's no question he's the most important player on the team.

He did a nice job tonight. Big late bucket, hit his FTs, controlled the flow of the game nicely most of the night, played decent D. I keep waiting for him to have another game like Creighton, where the 3s fall.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 10:49:16 PM »
Agree - carton leadership whatever that entails will play a big part in future success - if anything he needs to be the steadiest player we have

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 10:54:50 PM »
Totally agree. The talent is obviously there, so it is incredibly frustrating when he disappears for stretches.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 10:56:49 PM »
Carton, Garcia and Lewis next year, with a year of BEast play under their belts...I’m already excited.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 11:16:59 PM »
Totally agree. The talent is obviously there, so it is incredibly frustrating when he disappears for stretches.

Particularly early in games it seems he defers to everyone else, then he rises to the occasion in crucial moments. I'd love to see him a little more aggressive early in games with the dribble drive off a spread out set. Seems that would open up so many things for the offense. I love that he seems pretty unflappable and his quickness is on a different level than what we've seen for quite a while.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 11:26:54 PM »
Only 1 turnover in 31 minutes for DG. Had 4 assists but would easily have had twice that if we hit some wide-open looks. I remember two great dishes to Jamal that came up empty.

I love the kid's game.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 11:48:11 PM »
Only 1 turnover in 31 minutes for DG. Had 4 assists but would easily have had twice that if we hit some wide-open looks. I remember two great dishes to Jamal that came up empty.

I love the kid's game.

I’m probably in the minority here but I kind of expect more from DJC.

He’s averaging over 30 mpg in BE play, he’s very good at managing the game and he’s very active defensively. However, he was 3/9, 1/6 from three with 4 assists tonight.

He’s averaging 11&4 shooting just above 30% from 3 on the season. I would argue that most of us here had higher hopes for him given the expected, and realized, heavy playing time. Granted, some of that was likely over-inflated by our lofty hopeful pre-season expectations, but I am ready for him to turn on the next gear.

I will say that he definitely plays within himself and is typically a calming influence  on the ball, but I agree that he needs to carry this squad and I’m expecting and hopeful that he turns it up down the stretch. He’s extremely quick and superbly gifted, and is playing with a lot of quality bigs that can finish around the hoop. If he doesn’t increase his own personal scoring prowess I would like to see him creating many more easy scoring opportunities for this offense and taking over the game with his playmaking, elite vision, and athletic abilities.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 12:15:29 AM »

He’s averaging over 30 mpg in BE play, he’s very good at managing the game and he’s very active defensively. However, he was 3/9, 1/6 from three with 4 assists tonight.

He’s averaging 11&4 shooting just above 30% from 3 on the season. I would argue that most of us here had higher hopes for him given the expected, and realized, heavy playing time. Granted, some of that was likely over-inflated by our lofty hopeful pre-season expectations, but I am ready for him to turn on the next gear.

I will say that he definitely plays within himself and is typically a calming influence  on the ball, but I agree that he needs to carry this squad and I’m expecting and hopeful that he turns it up down the stretch. He’s extremely quick and superbly gifted, and is playing with a lot of quality bigs that can finish around the hoop. If he doesn’t increase his own personal scoring prowess I would like to see him creating many more easy scoring opportunities for this offense and taking over the game with his playmaking, elite vision, and athletic abilities.

I think you're spot-on Doctor V.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 12:24:32 AM »

If 2 of the treys that went in-and-out go down and if 3 of his teammates hit the wide-open 3s he set up by driving the lane, he has a 19-point, 7-assist game and we win without breaking a sweat.

DJ has been good to very good in most games this season IMHO. I like that the last 3 games (2 wins, 1 shoulda won) he had 13 assists and only 4 TOs. But sure, I wish he was doing more, and doing it more consistently, and I hope his shot starts going in.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 02:31:37 AM »
Muggsy

I agree 100%. If this team is going to have any success it is going to start with Carton. I think he is a pretty high level PG and is the most important guy on the squad. IMO he would be a really good PG on a team that had a lot of talent on the offensive side of the court.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 03:41:15 AM »
Don't forget that Carton has just now played the equivalence of an entire season 33 games (20 games at OSU and 13 for MU) and 16 conference games (9 and 7). Hopefully he will take on a more assertive role the rest of the way but it is alos not unreasonable to not see the true Freshman to Sophmore jump until he has had a more normal off season in the program.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2021, 07:27:18 AM »
I'm a little surprised at his loose handle and some of his decisions. Missing Dawson wide open under the basket late in the game. Dribbling across half court into a double team and picking up his dribble. Things like that. He has also made some nice late game plays at times also but needs to minimize the former and maintain the latter. He's young still and excited he will be around for us next year.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 07:37:47 AM »
What I’ve seen several times....and don’t understand.....is when opposing defenses switch on the screen and DJ is matched up one on one with their big. This is a matchup we want. DJ can and should be taking the slower, bigger player either to the basket or for a step back. DJ passes out of this situation consistently. It’s an adventurous situation that we are not realizing.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2021, 07:51:09 AM »
I think he has the potential to be the best PG since Travis, but just needs more experience.  Has all the tools.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2021, 09:38:54 AM »
The entire geometry of our offense can change if he makes the right reads.  He has outstanding blow-by speed.  It's about what he does with the rock once he gets downhill and attacks the paint.  If our bigs have position down low get them the ball immediately.  And yes, if DJ gets a big on a switch, he needs to go to work.. 

What we need to figure out is how to be more fluid and effective in our half-court  sets.  Right now it's all over the place and wildly inconsistent.  The superfluous east/west dribbling should be put to pasture.  Move the freaking basketball.  Either inside out or by attacking, kicking, and swinging the rock.  When you have prime--time jets use them, attack.  DJ should get 6-8 FT's a game.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2021, 09:45:15 AM »
The entire geometry of our offense can change if he makes the right reads.  He has outstanding blow-by speed.  It's about what he does with the rock once he gets downhill and attacks the paint.  If our bigs have position down low get them the ball immediately.  And yes, if DJ gets a big on a switch, he needs to go to work.. 

What we need to figure out is how to be more fluid and effective in our half-court  sets.  Right now it's all over the place and wildly inconsistent.  The superfluous east/west dribbling should be put to pasture.  Move the freaking basketball.  Either inside out or by attacking, kicking, and swinging the rock.  When you have prime--time jets use them, attack.  DJ should get 6-8 FT's a game.

We are terrible at attacking switches/mismatches. Whether that's DJ with a big or Theo with a guard

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2021, 09:53:22 AM »
DJ has a lot to learn, and y'all have named several of the areas he can improve. Very high ceiling IMHO, and I am hopeful that he gets close to that ceiling before this season's over.

Actually ... we saw what his ceiling was or darn close to it: Against Creighton, a top-10 team whose own PG was the conference preseason player of the year, DJ was the best player on the court in leading Marquette to an impressive win.

It's a lot to ask that from him every game. But closer to that most games ... I like our chances.

As I said, I think DJ already has been good to very good most games. Does a lot of things above and beyond scoring. Let's hope he takes it to the next level.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2021, 09:57:06 AM »
Muggsy

I agree 100%. If this team is going to have any success it is going to start with Carton. I think he is a pretty high level PG and is the most important guy on the squad. IMO he would be a really good PG on a team that had a lot of talent on the offensive side of the court.

Agree Goose.

Can you imagine DJ at the point alongside Markus?

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2021, 10:00:09 PM »
Carton, Lewis and Garcia on the squad, next year would be nice.

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2021, 06:18:03 PM »
Carton, Lewis and Garcia on the squad, next year would be nice.
it won’t with wojo. Until we understand this we will be mediocre, sorry but it’s true

feedback