[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel  (Read 222000 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #1475 on: April 22, 2021, 03:01:33 PM »
ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski, probably the best basketball reporter in America, says Brad Stevens turned down a 7-year, $70 million contract from Indiana.

And I don't blame Stevens one bit.

Stevens says Indiana never made him an offer, fwiw.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1476 on: April 22, 2021, 03:05:08 PM »
He already has generational wealth - Wojnarowski says Stevens already is in the $6-7M range. And he will get richer. If he left the Celtics after this year, he'd probably command at least $7.5M a year in the NBA. And he wouldn't have to try to chase Bobby Knight's ghost or deal with teenagers' mommies.

That contract offer wasn't about whether or not Stevens is an "idiot" - he obviously isn't. It was about the level of desperation in Bloomington.

Stevens has absolutely no reason to go back to college, ever, unless he decides he actually liked it more. And why would he decide that?

Dealing with recruiting, college kids in general, unreasonable fan bases and alumni?  Hard pass
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1477 on: April 22, 2021, 03:06:20 PM »
Stevens says Indiana never made him an offer, fwiw.

I believe Wojnarowski's source told him what he says the source did.

If I had to guess, it would be that no official from Indiana University ever presented Stevens a contract offer and said, "Sign this and you'll get 70 mil over the next 7 years," but that connected folks told Stevens' people the contract was there if he wanted to accept it. Ipso fatso, Stevens isn't lying when he says Indiana never made him an offer.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1478 on: April 22, 2021, 03:22:16 PM »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1479 on: April 22, 2021, 03:31:38 PM »
Stevens could get chit canned tomorrow. I dunno, $70 mil guaranteed is knot bad ta put up wit sum 18 yo pimple faces, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1480 on: April 22, 2021, 05:52:30 PM »
Stevens could get chit canned tomorrow.

He could.
And he'd have another NBA gig lined up within a few weeks.
NBA coaches get recycled more than beer bottles in Michigan, especially ones with even a little success (See, D'Antoni, Mike).

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1481 on: April 22, 2021, 06:00:45 PM »
Illinois and Kentucky making counter offers for Antigua that will make him the highest paid assistant in the country regardless of where he ends up.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1482 on: April 22, 2021, 06:07:01 PM »

If I had to guess, it would be that no official from Indiana University ever presented Stevens a contract offer and said, "Sign this and you'll get 70 mil over the next 7 years," but that connected folks told Stevens' people the contract was there if he wanted to accept it. Ipso fatso, Stevens isn't lying when he says Indiana never made him an offer.

it's similar to Illinois and Crean. A proposal and "offer" without it being an official offer.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1483 on: April 22, 2021, 06:28:57 PM »

Meh. Stevens really has no reason to lie or play coy. If anything, getting people to believe that number helps set the market for his next contract, wherever that may be.
Not suggesting Wojo is making it up, either. But maybe there's some InstitUtion out there may really want the world (or certain donors) to believe that it made every effort it could to get the guy before falling back on Plan B.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1484 on: April 22, 2021, 06:59:00 PM »
Meh. Stevens really has no reason to lie or play coy. If anything, getting people to believe that number helps set the market for his next contract, wherever that may be.
Not suggesting Wojo is making it up, either. But maybe there's some InstitUtion out there may really want the world (or certain donors) to believe that it made every effort it could to get the guy before falling back on Plan B.

I truly think Stevens has ZERO interest on going back to college coaching. He was a non factor for 2 blue blood jobs in a season in Boston that is down (by his standards) and people are getting a bit restless, depending who you ask.  And one of those jobs was the holy grail that everyone claimed he was waiting on.

I don’t even think he had to play coy, by just deading it the way he did, hopefully people will stop bringing it up or asking.  He’s 44, even if Boston doesn’t work out he’ll have no shortage of NBA opportunities after, stop talking about college.

I bet it was IU reaching out to his people, them saying he wasn’t interested, IU saying “not even for 7 years, $70MM?!”.  Stevens people still saying no.  IU can claim to offer 7/70 and Stevens said he never got that offer.  Neither is lying or playing coy and both have what suits them

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1485 on: April 22, 2021, 07:28:18 PM »
Stevens could get chit canned tomorrow. I dunno, $70 mil guaranteed is knot bad ta put up wit sum 18 yo pimple faces, hey?

And would have another NBA job lined up next week.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1486 on: April 22, 2021, 07:41:52 PM »
I bet it was IU reaching out to his people, them saying he wasn’t interested, IU saying “not even for 7 years, $70MM?!”.  Stevens people still saying no.  IU can claim to offer 7/70 and Stevens said he never got that offer.  Neither is lying or playing coy and both have what suits them

That sounds about right.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1487 on: April 23, 2021, 12:30:01 PM »
And would have another NBA job lined up next week.

Stevens, Billy Donovan, and Quinn Snyder love having a job in which they do not have the spend all summer recruiting and kissing up to 17 year olds. And now, with what is basically free agency, not having the re-recruit their entire teams every year.

And no doubt Stevens would have another job immediately. He'll go to Indiana...just not the Hoosiers.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1488 on: April 23, 2021, 01:10:00 PM »
Stevens, Billy Donovan, and Quinn Snyder love having a job in which they do not have the spend all summer recruiting and kissing up to 17 year olds. And now, with what is basically free agency, not having the re-recruit their entire teams every year.

Excellent point.

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #1489 on: April 23, 2021, 08:48:09 PM »
Illinois and Kentucky making counter offers for Antigua that will make him the highest paid assistant in the country regardless of where he ends up.

Fascinating. I get that he's a big time recruiter, but there are plenty of coaches who can recruit at his level. I don't get why he's worth$1,000,000/year.

Illinois should let him walk the poach just about any other assistant for half the price.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #1490 on: April 23, 2021, 09:32:56 PM »
Fascinating. I get that he's a big time recruiter, but there are plenty of coaches who can recruit at his level. I don't get why he's worth$1,000,000/year.

Illinois should let him walk the poach just about any other assistant for half the price.

One of the worst takes in the history of MUScoop. 

No, there's not plenty of coaches who can recruit at his level.  Antigua was a huge factor in Calipari getting to the Final Four multiple times at Kentucky -in 2011, 2012, 2014 and 2015.  Cal doesn't get there without him, and really hasn't ever since Antigua left (unless you count 2015 but how much did Anitgua have to do with that class?).  Illinois doesn't have the success they had without Antigua either as he recruited Kofi Cockburn and Giorgi Bezhanishvili.  Antigua is elite and recruits players that put you in the National Championship conversation.   He's literally the Godfather of East Coast Basketball connections and is the head coach of the Dominican Republic team.  That is why he's going to make 7 figures.   If MU had him, we'd be a legit Final Four contender in the next few years.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1491 on: April 24, 2021, 06:20:12 AM »

No, there's not plenty of coaches who can recruit at his level.  Antigua was a huge factor in Calipari getting to the Final Four multiple times at Kentucky -in 2011, 2012, 2014 and 2015.  Cal doesn't get there without him, and really hasn't ever since Antigua left (unless you count 2015 but how much did Anitgua have to do with that class?).  Illinois doesn't have the success they had without Antigua either as he recruited Kofi Cockburn and Giorgi Bezhanishvili.  Antigua is elite and recruits players that put you in the National Championship conversation.   He's literally the Godfather of East Coast Basketball connections and is the head coach of the Dominican Republic team.  That is why he's going to make 7 figures.   If MU had him, we'd be a legit Final Four contender in the next few years.

Spot on.  He’s a legit difference maker as a recruiter.  He did good work at Pitt, too, before joining Calipari.  He bombed out at South Florida as head coach but I could see him at Pitt someday
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #1492 on: April 24, 2021, 10:27:52 AM »

A bit harsh considering some of the takes I've seen on here.

An assistant coach that makes $500,000 a year is in the 99%ile of assistant coach salaries.  There is no way Antigua is worth 2x that much, especially considering how bad he was as a head coach. Recruiting is important, but plenty of schools recruit well without paying assistants that much.

How many of the assistants in the final four made more than $500k? Gonzaga and Baylor are private, so we can't see assistant coach salaries unless they make enough to show up on the 1099. Maybe Tommy Lloyd and Jerome Tang make that much, but not $1m. No assistants at UCLA make that much. Not sure about Houston but I doubt it. Those schools all recruit just fine.

If UK wants to pay $1,000,000 for Antigua, that's their choice. They did it for kenny payne, they can afford it. I don't see how illinois can justify it. They should spend that money on 2 other A+ assistants. Or get creative with the rules like Texas and hire a defacto 4th assistant like Chris Ogden.

If Marquette paid that much for Antigua (I know they aren't) I would question the decision making big time. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1493 on: April 24, 2021, 06:03:59 PM »
Didn't we pay some astronomical (for us, and for the time) sum for Chew?

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #1494 on: April 24, 2021, 06:25:29 PM »

I want to say it was in the 350-400 range. And consider that was almost a decade ago, too.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1495 on: April 24, 2021, 06:40:35 PM »

I totally forgot about Isaac Chew. He fell of the face of the planet.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1496 on: April 24, 2021, 07:01:11 PM »
I want to say it was in the 350-400 range. And consider that was almost a decade ago, too.

How would you possibly know this, except through unsubstantiated rumor mills at the time?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 07:07:15 PM by HutchwasClutch »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1497 on: April 24, 2021, 08:11:42 PM »
I totally forgot about Isaac Chew. He fell of the face of the planet.

At Grand Canyon now with Bryce Drew.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1498 on: April 24, 2021, 08:46:31 PM »
Speaking of former MUBB assistants, Aki Collins was hired as an assistant at Penn St. earlier this month.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #1499 on: April 24, 2021, 09:23:41 PM »
How would you possibly know this, except through unsubstantiated rumor mills at the time?

I must’ve exaggerated it in my memory. The 2013 990 lists him at $319k. Still a lot for an assistant.