[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2024?  (Read 98802 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2023?
« Reply #1300 on: January 18, 2024, 12:54:40 PM »
Putting Leftovers anywhere except 3rd feels criminal.

I think a lot of lists like these have recency bias issues.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1301 on: January 18, 2024, 01:07:50 PM »
TD S4 with a good start

Seems like it might lean heavily supernatural though which is a total no for me usually so will have to see how it unfolds.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1302 on: January 18, 2024, 01:55:41 PM »
TD S4 with a good start

Seems like it might lean heavily supernatural though which is a total no for me usually so will have to see how it unfolds.

Agree. I won't be a big fan if it goes strongly in that direction. I like detective work, logic and believability. Dramatic effect is fine, but if it turns out some kind of ghosts or demons are committing crimes ... meh.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1303 on: January 18, 2024, 02:02:48 PM »
TD S4 with a good start

Haven't watched s4. But I recall a decent amount of supernatural in s1

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1304 on: January 18, 2024, 02:13:12 PM »
I rewatched season 1.   Supernatural was implied, but not actually found, other than Rust's visions and near death experience.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1305 on: January 18, 2024, 02:26:52 PM »
I honestly didn't remember that about S1.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1306 on: January 18, 2024, 02:34:29 PM »
Neither did I, until I rewatched it last week. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1307 on: January 18, 2024, 02:35:09 PM »
Haven't watched s4. But I recall a decent amount of supernatural in s1

As Tower said it was slightly implied but ultimately no part in the crime/murders

Which is a current fear of S4 for me based off the first ep. But not a certainty.

Im with M82 I draw the line at ghosts and supernaturals doing the killings

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1308 on: January 18, 2024, 02:41:04 PM »
This is why there are a bazillion shows. Everything isn't for everybody.

Most critics agree with those of us who liked Succession. Now, critics aren't always "right," either. But it's not as if those of us who liked Succession are a few minority opinions coming out of left field.

I thought it was one of HBOs better dramas, a level down from The Wire and Sopranos but right there with anything else. This list ranks Succession 4th - https://www.indiewire.com/features/best-of/best-hbo-series-all-time-ranked-shows-1201859391/ - and this one ranks it 10th - https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/g26293745/best-hbo-series/ - but they include everything -- comedies like Curb and Veep, limited series like Chernobyl, etc.

It was a very good show IMHO and in the opinion of millions of others. I understand and respect those who feel otherwise.
This list has Band of Brothers way too low IMO

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1309 on: January 18, 2024, 04:43:05 PM »
I thought it was one of HBOs better dramas, a level down from The Wire and Sopranos but right there with anything else. This list ranks Succession 4th - https://www.indiewire.com/features/best-of/best-hbo-series-all-time-ranked-shows-1201859391/ - and this one ranks it 10th - https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/g26293745/best-hbo-series/ - but they include everything -- comedies like Curb and Veep, limited series like Chernobyl, etc.

Wow...those two lists have wildly differing opinions of several shows.

My takeaway...but I knew this already...is that I really need to watch The Wire. It's an inexcusable, gaping hole in my "prestige" television consumption. I didn't have HBO for years so missed a lot of really good TV. Over the last several years I've picked up Game of Thrones and The Sopranos, but haven't gotten to The Wire yet.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1310 on: January 18, 2024, 05:23:07 PM »
I understand it certainly wasn't for everyone.  I merely found the show entertaining, not ground breaking.  And I agree with some folks here that said there was a lot of sameness to the story season to season.  I enjoyed the character development and the social snafus the most I think.

Agree with everything except character development- I didn’t see much of that. Dialogue was good, so was the acting.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1311 on: January 18, 2024, 05:55:21 PM »
Agree with everything except character development- I didn’t see much of that. Dialogue was good, so was the acting.

For me, they seemed like they want to develop and change, but then were always pulled back to their old personalities that their father have instilled in them from their childhoods.  He was a mean manipulative bastard and the kids could never get past it.  Tom stayed the same but learned because he CHOSE that path whereas the kids were raised into it and knew nothing else.

I think the show was about people trying to change but their trauma prevented that.  Or said otherwise, some people never change.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1312 on: January 18, 2024, 06:13:02 PM »
Any Reacher fans on Prime?  It’s hard to describe, but it’s kinda dumb, and it doesn’t take itself too seriously and Alan Ritchson who plays the lead is pretty damn good in it.  Not too much fat, moves at a good pace.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1313 on: January 18, 2024, 06:19:46 PM »
Any Reacher fans on Prime?  It’s hard to describe, but it’s kinda dumb, and it doesn’t take itself too seriously and Alan Ritchson who plays the lead is pretty damn good in it.  Not too much fat, moves at a good pace.

Love cheesy action. Highly entertaining "turn your brain off" show

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1314 on: January 18, 2024, 06:42:32 PM »
This list has Band of Brothers way too low IMO

I loved Band of Brothers. Those kinds of lists are like any number of sports-ranking lists or greatest rock song lists. Just one person's opinion and conversation starters. I was just using them as examples of how many "experts" - as if they're any more expert than any of us are - had high regard for Succession.

For me, they seemed like they want to develop and change, but then were always pulled back to their old personalities that their father have instilled in them from their childhoods.  He was a mean manipulative bastard and the kids could never get past it.  Tom stayed the same but learned because he CHOSE that path whereas the kids were raised into it and knew nothing else.

I think the show was about people trying to change but their trauma prevented that.  Or said otherwise, some people never change.

Excellent post.

My takeaway...but I knew this already...is that I really need to watch The Wire. It's an inexcusable, gaping hole in my "prestige" television consumption. I didn't have HBO for years so missed a lot of really good TV. Over the last several years I've picked up Game of Thrones and The Sopranos, but haven't gotten to The Wire yet.

Yeah, you really have to. One note going in: Season 1, which sets everything up and introduces a gazillion characters, isn't an "easy" watch. It's good, but complex. Stick with it. Each succeeding season gets better through S4.

Season 4 of The Wire is simply one of the great achievements in television history.

As happens sometimes, the final season has a drop-off quality-wise, but it's still very watchable.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1315 on: January 18, 2024, 07:00:00 PM »

I love Reacher(for what it is). Its absolute nonsense in logic(ep 3 epecially of the new season) but its hard not to like. Keeps it simple and entertains with good action/fight sequences.

Im half way through S2. My one issue with it and I might have said it on here is the fact that S2 moved to weekly eps after S1 was a mass drop.

This is simply not a week to week show. People dont need Scoop or reddit to discuss each ep. Its the perfect "Im hungover or tired from a busy weekend, need a sunday binge" type of show.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1316 on: January 18, 2024, 10:43:57 PM »

You won't regret it. I was you about a year ago. I had never had HBO (I always went to friends' houses to watch GoT episodes as they came out). Had spent my entire adulthood hearing about how amazing The Wire is. Got HBO for The Last of Us (huge fan of the games). Went into the Wire thinking that there was no way it could be as good as people said it was. It delivered and then some. As 82 said, season 4 is probably the best season of television ever produced. Not hyperbole. Season 1 and 3 are among the greatest seasons of televisions of all time. Seasons 2 and 5 aren't at that level but both are better than most shows' good seasons.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1317 on: January 18, 2024, 10:58:21 PM »
Key with the Wire too is once ineveitably  hooked on S1

Go into S2 knowing its different and they switch focus for the main plot and once you accept that its actually really good. Seasons 1,3 and especially 4 are nearly impossible to beat. But 2 is still a really good season that really excels on a rewatch with the knowledge of change from S1

5 mostly nails all the show long sub plots and ends fantastic. Like most would say its just blah for the season main plot that wasnt really needed.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1318 on: January 19, 2024, 05:05:39 AM »

Yes, been watching S2.  Next episode drops today.
Moves fast and fun. 
Love lines like "But he tell you, you were going to die tonight?"

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1319 on: January 19, 2024, 08:48:55 AM »
Which book is S2 of Reacher based on?  I remember S1 was based on the first book, haven't watched any S2 yet and from the trailers it doesn't seem like it's book 2.  I've only read 5 or so, so if it's based on B6 I'll probably just read that quick before I watch the show but if its like B12 or something then there'd be no point.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1320 on: January 19, 2024, 08:54:20 AM »
Which book is S2 of Reacher based on?  I remember S1 was based on the first book, haven't watched any S2 yet and from the trailers it doesn't seem like it's book 2.  I've only read 5 or so, so if it's based on B6 I'll probably just read that quick before I watch the show but if its like B12 or something then there'd be no point.

It is like book 11 or 12 called Bad luck and Trouble

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1321 on: January 19, 2024, 09:00:51 AM »
It is like book 11 or 12 called Bad luck and Trouble

Thanks, probably just jump into S2 then.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1322 on: January 19, 2024, 12:08:21 PM »
Wow...those two lists have wildly differing opinions of several shows.

I am similar to you as I haven’t always had HBO as often as others. I will get it for a time and watch something. Then I will not have it for a while.

“The Wire” is worth your time. It’s one of my favorite shows.

A guy named David Simon worked for the Baltimore Sun newspaper in the 80’s and 90’s. And he wrote or co-wrote a few books:

1) “Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets.”

2) “The Corner: A Year in the Life of an Inner-City Neighborhood.”

The first book was made into the television series: “Homicide: Life on the Streets”

It is excellent and hard to find due to music copyright stuff. However there has been a new development and hope for future streaming of it.

The 2nd book was made into a miniseries called “The Corner.”

He also created, wrote, produced, “The Wire.” with others.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1323 on: January 19, 2024, 01:34:00 PM »
I am similar to you as I haven’t always had HBO as often as others. I will get it for a time and watch something. Then I will not have it for a while.

“The Wire” is worth your time. It’s one of my favorite shows.

A guy named David Simon worked for the Baltimore Sun newspaper in the 80’s and 90’s. And he wrote or co-wrote a few books:

1) “Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets.”

2) “The Corner: A Year in the Life of an Inner-City Neighborhood.”

The first book was made into the television series: “Homicide: Life on the Streets”

It is excellent and hard to find due to music copyright stuff. However there has been a new development and hope for future streaming of it.

The 2nd book was made into a miniseries called “The Corner.”

He also created, wrote, produced, “The Wire.” with others.

Wow.  Never knew about David Simon
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1324 on: January 19, 2024, 01:44:28 PM »