[Today at 05:11:05 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by brewcity77
[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Now Crean Complains About "Orchestrated" Transfer  (Read 7758 times)

MULS1999

• Walk-On
Now Crean Complains About "Orchestrated" Transfer
« on: May 09, 2008, 12:18:58 PM »
I've been willing to live and let live with respect to nearly all the Crean talk since he left, even as he scoops our past commits and key recruiting targets, but even I was annoyed by his statements in this article.  I know that Katz is his glorified press secretary, but don't either of them see any of the irony/hypocrisy in this?

Crean troubled by how Holman's transfer to Detroit played out
ESPN.com news services

Freshman center Eli Holman's final days at Indiana could be considered unforgettable: He threw a tantrum during a discussion in new coach Tom Crean's office that eventually necessitated a call to campus police.

The outburst was nothing compared to how troubling Crean found the circumstances surrounding Holman's decision to transfer to Detroit Mercy, where he would play for former Indiana assistant Ray McCallum.

Crean on Thursday characterized Holman hooking up with Detroit as "an orchestration," according to The Indianapolis Star.

"We were led to believe that this was a family decision and that he wanted to get closer to home," Crean said, according to The Star, "but now it doesn't look like that's the way it's going to turn out.

"I don't think there's any doubt that there was a certain amount of orchestrating going on. It's disappointing -- very disappointing -- on a lot of fronts."

Before the coach and player met May 1, Crean said Holman, a 6-foot-9 center who appeared in six games last season, spoke in positive terms about his future with Indiana.

But when they met, Crean said he was taken aback when Holman said he would be leaving the program in order to be closer to his family in Richmond, Calif. At some point, Holman became agitated and ended up knocking over a potted plant.

Crean told The Star he believed Holman had been "coached up" on what to say before meeting with him. Holman publicly apologized to Crean a day later, the same day the player's release was granted.

Crean has not divulged details of their conversation that day.

"I like Eli and I wish him well. I really do," he told The Star. "The short time we were with him I liked him, but I don't have a lot of respect for the way this has turned out.''

McCallum was on former Indiana coach Kelvin Sampson's staff. He was hired by Detroit Mercy shortly after Crean was hired by the Hoosiers. NCAA rules prohibit athletic department staff members from having any contact with an athlete from another school until that player is granted a release. Holman is not eligible to play for Detroit Mercy until the 2009-2010 season.

ESPN.com's attempt to reach McCallum on Friday was unsuccessful.

"I'm really happy that Eli made the decision to come to UDM," McCallum said in a statement released by his new school. "I think me having been at Indiana and recruiting him was a big reason why he went there and he had a great opportunity there. But when you're involved in a young man's life for two years, you obviously build a relationship that he cared about and respected and he wanted it to continue.

"I'm glad he's here with us."

Information from ESPN.com senior writer Andy Katz was included in this report.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Now Crean Complains About "Orchestrated" Transfer
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 12:27:31 PM »
Look who's calling the kettle black. The departed has orchestrated several transfers himself and is well known to talk out of both sides of his mouth.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 12:33:03 PM »
Well at least he should know an orchestration when he sees one!!

I am glad this board is able to call him out, mean while Dodd's lovefest with Crean continues as he is reliving the greatest momensts during the Crean years.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 12:39:42 PM »
I haven't been the the Dodds board in a VERY long time. I can only imagine the train wreck that occurred after their fearless leader left.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 12:46:42 PM »
Consider
"I like Eli and I wish him well. I really do," [Crean] told The Star. "The short time we were with him I liked him, but I don't have a lot of respect for the way this has turned out.''
vs
"We talked," Wild said. "He had given us nine great years, and there was no great basis for being upset. At some point he had to make a career decision.   But the how of it, how he basically didn't talk to anybody, that was a problem," Wild added. "And I said that clearly. The end game was definitely not the way to do things. And I must say, it was not characteristic of the man as I dealt with him over the years."

I don't seem much difference between these two statements except that the guy complaining about the lack of respect/class in the first quote is the same guy who showed the same lack of respect/class not even 6 weeks earlier in the second case.  Sounds like something like "what comes around goes around" or "disrespect begets disrespect" feels appropriate here.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 12:52:01 PM »
I haven't been the the Dodds board in a VERY long time. I can only imagine the train wreck that occurred after their fearless leader left.

Don't waste your time. You're not missing anything.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

HarveysWallbangers

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 01:11:19 PM »
What the heck is he talking about? Aren't all transfers "orchestrated?"

He is the biggest price I can recall in sports. He's such a phony it's laughable!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 01:37:06 PM »
Why does he care about Eli?  Isn't Eli "suicidal" and "danger to himself".

Oh poor Tommy, you insinuate a kid has serious mental health issues b/c he knocks over a plant and then he has the gall to transfer to rival power like Detroit Mercy.

"One of my first memories of basketball was watching Dickie V lead the Titans to the Sweet 16 in 1977"
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 03:17:21 PM »
Does TC think we don't know that the contact initiated by Indiana on around March 30th (or before) was orchestrated?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

HarveysWallbangers

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 04:16:07 PM »
Well at least he should know an orchestration when he sees one!!

I am glad this board is able to call him out, mean while Dodd's lovefest with Crean continues as he is reliving the greatest momensts during the Crean years.

Boy, you weren't kidding. And I see people being chastised for negative comments about Crean.

Apparently people are not allowed to make negative comments about a Big Ten coach on a Marquette message board. I wonder if that will also apply to comments made about Bo Ryan.

After all, we wouldn't want Indiana recruits reading a Marquette message board and finding out what a complete jerk their coach is.

Sometimes I wonder if the guys running that board get so giddy when a REAL LIFE BASKETBALL COACH (!) knows their names that they are clueless that the person speaking to them is simply using them for his own benefit.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 05:05:00 PM »

Haha that's because you're banned.  But they are right you aren't missing anything.

Schoolyard

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 08:36:07 PM »
Haha that's because you're banned.  But they are right you aren't missing anything.

What did PTM do to get banned?  PTM weren't you a pretty big pro TC guy?  I expect people like PRN (or me) to get banned, but why you?
My handle is Schoolyard but I do my best work at Finley Dunnes...Joe Kenny in '08

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 11:17:59 PM »
Considervs
I don't seem much difference between these two statements except that the guy complaining about the lack of respect/class in the first quote is the same guy who showed the same lack of respect/class not even 6 weeks earlier in the second case.  Sounds like something like "what comes around goes around" or "disrespect begets disrespect" feels appropriate here.

Well put as these are good examples of what a previous poster had brought up: TC is calling the kettle (ELI) black.

It's about time Crean starts to lose a player because of a previous relationship. He would have lost more this way but he let them all walk.
SS Marquette

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 10:57:37 AM »
What did PTM do to get banned?  PTM weren't you a pretty big pro TC guy?  I expect people like PRN (or me) to get banned, but why you?

I got banned for OT discussion. Dodds and I got into it after the Brewers lost the Central, and Dodds hates NASCAR.

esotericmindguy

• All American
More Fraudulent behavior by Crean
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 07:58:51 AM »
Check this article, Crean's quote when a player asks out of his LOI to sign with an former assistant at IU, "We were led to believe that this was a family decision and that he wanted to get closer to home," Crean said, according to The Star, "but now it doesn't look like that's the way it's going to turn out.

"I don't think there's any doubt that there was a certain amount of orchestrating going on. It's disappointing -- very disappointing -- on a lot of fronts."

Does Nick Williams ring a bell a$$hole????  Not to mention the other recruits that he recruited while at MU.  I understand when a coach switches schools he'll continue to recruit, but don't whine when it happens to you. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3388282

NCMUFan

• All American
Re: More Fraudulent behavior by Crean
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 08:04:48 AM »
He thinks his own sheet don't stink.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 08:38:29 AM »
PRN was absolutely right about this guy, and I'm sorry I didn't listen. He's a sleazebag.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 08:50:39 AM »
PRN was absolutely right about this guy, and I'm sorry I didn't listen. He's a sleazebag.

Yeah, but a very tanned sleazebag.
SS Marquette

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 08:56:49 AM »

Hey, can someone show me some love too?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 09:33:11 AM »

Hey, can someone show me some love too?

uhh.. kudos to you for following in PRNs footsteps.. there  ::)  :P
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 09:38:47 AM »
To Paraphrase Tom Petty:   Even the haters get lucky sometime.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.