[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014 MLB Thread & Pissing Match  (Read 244533 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: 2014 MLB Thread & Pissing Match
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2014, 04:10:38 PM »
Well, no Brewer fan in attendance today can ever boo a visiting player that was caught/suspected of using PEDs.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2014, 04:47:37 PM »
nah, he is just OUR dick.  Plus booing him would have what sort of effect?

Fans could show that they hate their best player.  Sweet idea.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2014, 04:55:09 PM »
Soooo, that Abreu is pretty good. Obviously only the first game of the season but more optimistic about the White Sox chances this year. In 2005 they won with a bunch of misfits.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2014, 06:10:16 PM »
nah, he is just OUR dick.  Plus booing him would have what sort of effect?

Fans could show that they hate their best player.  Sweet idea.

Could have maybe, just maybe skipped the standing ovation.

brandx

« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2014, 09:58:45 PM »
Soooo, that Abreu is pretty good. Obviously only the first game of the season but more optimistic about the White Sox chances this year. In 2005 they won with a bunch of misfits.

Eaton and Abreu will both be studs.

Eaton = .370 OBP with at least 30 steals
Abreu = .280 BA with 35 HR and 110 RBI

Just from my projections. We'll see.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2014, 11:52:41 AM »

They are 1 of the 3 least probably AL teams to make the playoffs. Not saying there isn't potential there for future years, but even if Abreu and Eaton hit the cover off the ball there's still an issue at 7 other positions.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2014, 11:55:39 AM »
They are 1 of the 3 least probably AL teams to make the playoffs. Not saying there isn't potential there for future years, but even if Abreu and Eaton hit the cover off the ball there's still an issue at 7 other positions.

Ehh, Ill take my chances with Gillepse, De Aza, Garcia, Sale and Beckham when he returns. Actually looking on it now, I really like that lineup. I didnt think the Sox would win with Pods in left and Rowand in center in 05. Never know.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2014, 12:10:49 PM »
Ehh, Ill take my chances with Gillepse, De Aza, Garcia, Sale and Beckham when he returns. Actually looking on it now, I really like that lineup. I didnt think the Sox would win with Pods in left and Rowand in center in 05. Never know.

Not to go all stat-dick on spring hope (because everyone should have it) but Sale is the only player you mention who projects to have a WAR higher than 1 this year (and I think they have a decent rotation with Quintana as the #2). Even if all of those guys double their projections, they still miss the playoffs because DET is that much better and the wild cards are likely coming out of the East/West (KC/CLE as sleeeers?)

http://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=ALL&teamid=4

As a Mariners fan - embrace the rebuild.

brandx

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2014, 04:12:04 PM »
Wonder what Cal Ripken thinks when he sees guys getting a rest in the first week of the season!! And I'm talking about All-Star caliber type players, not platoon types.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2014, 05:04:58 PM »
Wonder what Cal Ripken thinks when he sees guys getting a rest in the first week of the season!! And I'm talking about All-Star caliber type players, not platoon types.

He might be thinking that "Hey... maybe if I would have sat, my team would have done better."  Oh well... let's give the guy props for one of the most selfish records in the history of sports. 

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2014, 11:20:51 AM »
friend called me today and told me the Twins opener might be delayed as much as two weeks. What's up Twin Cities?
Can't clear the ballpark?

You need a new "source".  60 degrees and sunny today.  Heated field also helps.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 11:23:32 AM by SaintPaulWarrior »

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2014, 03:18:42 PM »
He might be thinking that "Hey... maybe if I would have sat, my team would have done better."  Oh well... let's give the guy props for one of the most selfish records in the history of sports. 

So much this. It's impressive the he stayed off the DL for so long but let's not pretend like he wasn't in it for the record. How much more effective could he have been with occasional rest?

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2014, 06:14:29 PM »
So much this. It's impressive the he stayed off the DL for so long but let's not pretend like he wasn't in it for the record. How much more effective could he have been with occasional rest?

Well, it's much more common practice to rest players now in basketball and baseball.  There's a science to it, that if you give players a few days off for whatever reason it may be, they will be more effective down the stretch, and not wear out towards the end of the year. 

brandx

« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2014, 07:37:14 PM »
Well, it's much more common practice to rest players now in basketball and baseball.  There's a science to it, that if you give players a few days off for whatever reason it may be, they will be more effective down the stretch, and not wear out towards the end of the year. 

It's obviously a good idea to give guys who play a lot of innings some rest. My point was that it is silly to be resting all-star caliber players in the 3rd or 4th game of the year. That will do much more harm to your teams chances than good. You have a lesser chance of winning when you take your best players out of the lineup. And unless you are like the old Cubs who had to play half their games in the midday sun or maybe the Rangers or D'Backs in the heat, I don't think the toll is great on the body playing every day. This IS baseball that we are talking about.

As far as Ripken is concerned, there is no way to quantify if it hurt having him on the field every game. There is nothing to compare it to since there weren't games where he wasn't on the field. As far as 1st half vs. 2nd half stats over the course of his career, he had about the same number of years where his 2nd half stats were better as when they were worse - maybe a very slight edge to the worse side. But even his worse stats were better than who the replacement would have been.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2014, 10:58:10 AM »

I don't see it.  Sale won't be able to carry the rest of the pitching staff.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2014, 11:01:37 AM »
I don't see it.  Sale won't be able to carry the rest of the pitching staff.

Yup, that seems like its going to be common theme this year. Sale will pitch great, Quintana will be inconsistent and the rest of the starters and bullpen will be brutal. The offense needs to put up like 8 runs a game.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2014, 06:47:16 PM »
Braunie with 3 ding dongs today.

MVP, MVP, MVP, MVP, MVP!!

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2014, 06:51:50 PM »
Braunie with 3 ding dongs today.

MVP, MVP, MVP, MVP, MVP!!

What are they on ?  a 4 game win streak right now?  Great way to storm out of the gates after a 1-2 homestand against the braves. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2014, 06:58:39 PM »
Segura gets dotted in the elbow, Phili fans cheer, Segura stays in the game, Philies fans boo.  Braun blasts one on the next pitch.  Classic Phili.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2014, 09:16:41 PM »
Over/under on the number of times Braun was tested today?  3.5?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2014, 10:13:40 AM »
Over/under on the number of times Braun was tested today?  3.5?

I'll take the under.  But even if he was tested, the only thing that would probably have come up would be the pain killers, which he probably has a script for any way.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2014, 10:23:00 AM »
I'll take the under.  But even if he was tested, the only thing that would probably have come up would be the pain killers, which he probably has a script for any way.

But if they did find something, who should be fired this time? 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2014, 10:25:38 AM »
Hank the Dog?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2014, 10:43:49 AM »
He's like Ted Williams without roids, Babe Ruth with them...standing ovation...once in a lifetime talent.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2014, 11:19:42 AM »

But if they did find something, who should be fired this time? 

Well, if it's his third failure, Braun gets fired, right?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.