'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[Today at 09:36:37 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 08:48:19 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Will MU Get Some Foreign Players?  (Read 2262 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Will MU Get Some Foreign Players?
« on: May 05, 2008, 08:36:09 PM »
The article below is about Nebraska's process of replacing Tony Benford now that he's one of Buzz's new assistants.  The article mentions that Nebraska was sucessful is recruiting foreign players (again, sucessful does not mean Berkowitz 2.0).

So, is Buzz looking at some foreign names via Benford?

Thoughts?

-----------------------

NU Basketball: Coach wants aide with international recruiting ties

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=10327589

BY LEE BARFKNECHT
WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN — Often in stories about hiring athletic personnel, you read that someone will conduct a national search.

Nebraska's Doc Sadler, in the process of replacing a basketball assistant, is going global.

"We've got to find a way to get guys like a Darrell Arthur (Kansas) or a Kevin Love (UCLA) — guys that it's hard for us to get out of the U.S.," Doc Sadler said.Sadler said Monday that he plans to extend his search for at least two weeks to further study potential candidates who live overseas or have strong international recruiting ties.

"After being here for two years and studying our situation, I realize I've got to find a niche," Sadler said. "We can't just roll the balls out and compete with the Carolinas and the Kentuckys."

Specifically, Sadler is talking about recruiting power forwards and centers capable of being Big 12 difference-makers.

"We can recruit good enough perimeter guys," he said. "But we've got to find a way to get guys like a Darrell Arthur (Kansas) or a Kevin Love (UCLA) — guys that it's hard for us to get out of the U.S.

"In a sport where one player can make such a difference, you've got to find a way to get some of those guys."

Sadler is familiar with foreign-born players.

At Nebraska, he just finished two years with 6-foot-11 first-team All-Big 12 center Aleks Maric from Sydney, Australia. Also on last year's roster was 6-10 Shang Ping from Haerbin, China, who has transferred to Emporia (Kan.) State. For next season, Sadler has signed 6-11 Christopher Niemann from Germany.

At UTEP, Sadler coached players from Brazil, Colombia, Puerto Rico, Mexico and Greece.

"We've got to look overseas," he said, "and consider people with strong ties, whether it's to Australia or South America or Europe."

The type of candidate Sadler might consider is someone like Walter Roese, an assistant at NCAA tourney-qualifier San Diego.

Roese, a native of Brazil, played professionally in Brazil and Italy and is fluent in three languages. He played collegiately for two seasons at Houston under Pat Foster, who is a close friend of Sadler.

The overseas talk doesn't mean that James Dickey from Oklahoma State is out of the picture to replace Tony Benford, who left NU for Marquette.

Sadler said he is still talking with Dickey. The two coached together as assistants at Arkansas in the early 1980s. Dickey, when hired as head coach at Texas Tech in 1991, made Sadler his first hire as a Red Raiders assistant.

Dickey lost his job at Oklahoma State last month when head coach Sean Sutton was forced out.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Will MU Get Some Foreign Players?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 08:49:11 PM »
We have two foreign players. Both Fulce and Butler are refugees from Texas. ;D
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 08:50:31 PM »
We have two foreign players. Both Fulce and Butler are refugees from Texas. ;D

I hope Buzz has their visas in order. I would hate them being denied entry into Wisconsin

MUinOH

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 09:29:43 PM »
Would be a good thing.  There's a ton of talent overseas these days. 

That's why we don't bring home the gold in the Olympics anymore.   :(

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 10:33:38 AM »
Hrm.. well considering muscoop is hosted in texas... sounds like all of yall are the foreigners :D
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 10:49:23 AM »
Hrm.. well considering muscoop is hosted in texas... sounds like all of yall are the foreigners :D

DANG!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 11:28:51 AM »

My first job was setting up basketball tournaments in Europe.  Our crew had a guy from Dallas, Seattle, France and myself.  Whenever we'd be out and people would ask where we were from it was always, "We're from America, he's from France and he's from Texas".
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 11:32:13 AM »
The article below is about Nebraska's process of replacing Tony Benford now that he's one of Buzz's new assistants.  The article mentions that Nebraska was sucessful is recruiting foreign players (again, sucessful does not mean Berkowitz 2.0).

So, is Buzz looking at some foreign names via Benford?

Thoughts?

-----------------------

NU Basketball: Coach wants aide with international recruiting ties

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=10327589

BY LEE BARFKNECHT
WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN — Often in stories about hiring athletic personnel, you read that someone will conduct a national search.

Nebraska's Doc Sadler, in the process of replacing a basketball assistant, is going global.

"We've got to find a way to get guys like a Darrell Arthur (Kansas) or a Kevin Love (UCLA) — guys that it's hard for us to get out of the U.S.," Doc Sadler said.Sadler said Monday that he plans to extend his search for at least two weeks to further study potential candidates who live overseas or have strong international recruiting ties.

"After being here for two years and studying our situation, I realize I've got to find a niche," Sadler said. "We can't just roll the balls out and compete with the Carolinas and the Kentuckys."

Specifically, Sadler is talking about recruiting power forwards and centers capable of being Big 12 difference-makers.

"We can recruit good enough perimeter guys," he said. "But we've got to find a way to get guys like a Darrell Arthur (Kansas) or a Kevin Love (UCLA) — guys that it's hard for us to get out of the U.S.

"In a sport where one player can make such a difference, you've got to find a way to get some of those guys."

Sadler is familiar with foreign-born players.

At Nebraska, he just finished two years with 6-foot-11 first-team All-Big 12 center Aleks Maric from Sydney, Australia. Also on last year's roster was 6-10 Shang Ping from Haerbin, China, who has transferred to Emporia (Kan.) State. For next season, Sadler has signed 6-11 Christopher Niemann from Germany.

At UTEP, Sadler coached players from Brazil, Colombia, Puerto Rico, Mexico and Greece.

"We've got to look overseas," he said, "and consider people with strong ties, whether it's to Australia or South America or Europe."

The type of candidate Sadler might consider is someone like Walter Roese, an assistant at NCAA tourney-qualifier San Diego.

Roese, a native of Brazil, played professionally in Brazil and Italy and is fluent in three languages. He played collegiately for two seasons at Houston under Pat Foster, who is a close friend of Sadler.

The overseas talk doesn't mean that James Dickey from Oklahoma State is out of the picture to replace Tony Benford, who left NU for Marquette.

Sadler said he is still talking with Dickey. The two coached together as assistants at Arkansas in the early 1980s. Dickey, when hired as head coach at Texas Tech in 1991, made Sadler his first hire as a Red Raiders assistant.

Dickey lost his job at Oklahoma State last month when head coach Sean Sutton was forced out.

I'm rather shocked...he seems to imply that it's difficult to get really good power forwards and centers and is thinking that he might need to go the foreign route.  The last 10 years I was under the impression we just didn't want big guys and all we had to do was go down to the corner store to get the next NBA big.   ::)  They're in such abundance afterall. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 11:34:28 AM »
My first job was setting up basketball tournaments in Europe.  Our crew had a guy from Dallas, Seattle, France and myself.  Whenever we'd be out and people would ask where we were from it was always, "We're from America, he's from France and he's from Texas".

For those of us native Texans, we have a little slogan.

"American by birth, Texan by the grace of God"

;)

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 11:50:07 AM »
I didn't necessarily want Bob McKillop a month ago, but overseas recruiting was one of the things I thought he could bring to MU.  It's something I we really need to take advantage of.

feedback