[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: For All The Buzz Haters ....  (Read 9025 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
For All The Buzz Haters ....
« on: April 12, 2008, 09:23:32 AM »
What are you going to do when you're proven wrong?  How about you write a check to MU.  Back your words up with some real action.

So define a sucessful season for a NEW first year MU coach with this team and, if exceeded, write a check to MU.  I suggest two to three months salary.

Any takers?

PuertoRicanNightmare

Re: For All The Buzz Haters ....
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 09:35:43 AM »
Nobody "hates" Buzz. We hate the fact that he was hired.

What are you going to do AFTER next year when practically our entire team is made up of JUCO transfers that couldn't quite squeeze onto rosters at Texas, Texas A&M and (gulp) Baylor?

Fox Valley Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 09:38:47 AM »
Since Texas pumps out 80 division 1 kids every year they can't all make it on them 3 teams.Who by the way all make the ncaa tourney.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 09:42:45 AM »
PRN, lets see how crean makes up for his lost recruiting class, its not easy to step in and salvage a class that committed to a different coach.  Lets see what kind of class he puts together for 2009.

With all 3 seniors coming back I'd say that anything short of a sweet 16 birth is considered a failure.  If this class goes through MU and never makes it to the second weekend it will be a complete disaster.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 09:47:01 AM »

What are you going to do AFTER next year when practically our entire team is made up of JUCO transfers that couldn't quite squeeze onto rosters at Texas, Texas A&M and (gulp) Baylor?

Thank you!!!!!!!! I don't hate Buzz. He seems like a great guy. I just don't like the fact he got hired. In fact the hire scares the crap out of me to think this program could be DePaul in 3 years.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 09:47:19 AM »

My name is already on the side of the AL.  My money flows if what you said happens next year or not.  If it doesn't, are you donating three months salary?

Recognize if we hired Bennett or Miller, you would probably have had mass defections this year.  What you describe above would have been next year's team.  James and Jerel would have pulled a "Robert Jackson" and transferred for their senior season or play in Europe.  No chance on TT or the rest of the recruits.  Now at least we have a chance, we'll see on Monday.  We would have been starting over right now, not in a year or two.

Hiring Buzz makes a lot of sense.  If what you said happens, first we have a decent season next year, then we fire him and get someone else.  No more a backward step than getting a stranger this year.  

The bet is Buzz is a recruiter and when his team wins 22 to 25 games and at least one NCAA game, he's now a head coach and a recruiter.

If next year was a rebuilding season, then you pay for a name coach.  Since next year's coach will have a big wind at his back it's smart to go for continuity.

Buzz may not work out, but he was a reasonable hire.  Miller or Bennett may or may not have worked out.  They would have equally reasonable hires but not necessary right now.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 09:49:05 AM by AnotherMU84 »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 09:49:14 AM »

Oh, sheesh.
Last year's Texas A&M roster, which Buzz obviously had a big hand in, included ONE JUCO player. The 2007 roster included TWO kids recruited out of JUCO.
The last three recruiting classes at A&M landed 18 verbals (obviously not every verbal ended up there).  A whopping four were from the JUCO ranks.

Anyhow, please name the 9-11 JUCO players Marquette is recruiting for the next two classes. Since they're going to make up "practically our entire roster" there should be a lot of them out there.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 09:51:15 AM »
First off, PRN, the school is not going to allow Buzz to the program into Cincinnati North. If Buzz fails, it will likely be with recruits from high schools.
Secondly, though you hate Buzz, had we not made a quick move after being spurned by our top choices we likely would have lost all four recruits, Jerel, DJ, Trevor, SC, and probably one or two more.
Buzz may turn out to be a disaster and we all may wind up telling you how right you were (as you were with Crean). But you still haven't come up with ONE name of someone alive (Adolph Rupp is dead) who was remotely interested in the job.  

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 09:54:26 AM »

Thank you!!!!!!!! I don't hate Buzz. He seems like a great guy. I just don't like the fact he got hired. In fact the hire scares the crap out of me to think this program could be DePaul in 3 years.

How did DePaul get to be where DePaul is today?
Hiring an experienced head coach with solid mid-major credentials.

Who were the last two coaches fired by Marquette University for poor performance?
Mike Deane and Bob Dukiet. Experienced head coaches with solid mid-major/small school credentials.

And what do many of the bashers of Buzz's hiring think Marquette should have done?
Hire an experienced head coach with solid mid-major credentials.

Who were the last two coaches to succeed at Marquette?
Tom Crean and Kevin O'Neill, first-time head coaches with reputations as dogged recruiters.

And who is Buzz Williams?
A first-time head coach with a reputation as a dogged recruiter.

Some people around here seem to have flunked history class.

MUinOH

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 09:57:38 AM »

Change that to 2nd time head coach, Pakuni, and you get an A.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 09:59:17 AM »

How did DePaul get to be where DePaul is today?
Hiring an experienced head coach with solid mid-major credentials.

Who were the last two coaches fired by Marquette University for poor performance?
Mike Deane and Bob Dukiet. Experienced head coaches with solid mid-major/small school credentials.

And what do many of the bashers of Buzz's hiring think Marquette should have done?
Hire an experienced head coach with solid mid-major credentials.

Who were the last two coaches to succeed at Marquette?
Tom Crean and Kevin O'Neill, first-time head coaches with reputations as dogged recruiters.

They were both established assistant coaches at big time programs. Not a 9 month green horn. crap, a year ago not one person on this board would have been cuming in their boxers over Buzz, but now since he has saved some recruiters he is John Wooden. I wish I knew what his philosophy's were when it comes to hoops, that might help quell some of the uneasy feelings a lot of people have about this hire. All we know is he plays winning basketball. WTF is that?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 10:05:47 AM »
Buzz only has one year with MU, he has several years with Billy G. at A&M before that.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 10:06:38 AM »
Fulce is obviously at a JUCO.  But, he was Div I qualified and has 3 years of eligibility.  Jimmy Butler would also be a 3 year guy.  Not your typical JUCO's.

Pardner

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 10:07:04 AM »
Might I remind folks before we rip on Texas JUCO players, TC had a number of recruits who didn't start for their high school team or who didn't play high school ball on his roster.  Let's not forget the likes of Jay Whitehead, Sam Worthen, etc.  to balance out the list of JUCO wash outs.  

Buzz is opening a talent pipeline we have had limited/no access to....with the JUCO's, he buys depth and more balanced talent.  Texas leftovers?  SC was Mr. WI Basketball in comparison.  

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 10:07:35 AM »

Recognize if we hired Bennett or Miller, you would probably have had mass defections this year.  What you describe above would have been next year's team.  James and Jerel would have pulled a "Robert Jackson" and transferred for their senior season or play in Europe.  No chance on TT or the rest of the recruits.  Now at least we have a chance, we'll see on Monday.  We would have been starting over right now, not in a year or two.

Every time a new coach comes in there is a cry that there will be mass defections.  Mostly that turns out to be untrue, especially in Marquette's case.  When Deane was fired we heard how Wardle, Henry, Nnamaka and Harris would all be out the door.  Turned out not to be true.  We even got our one incoming recruit to come in, although he was overwhelmed and left after one year.

When O'Neill left, I believe everybody stayed on board; Pieper, McCaskill, Abraham, and the top recruit Hutchins still came in.

James and McNeal may have decided to go pro, but I doubt either of them would have transferred.  That year sitting out would have been a giant step back for two players looking to go pro. 

We would have lost NW, which we did anyway.  We may have lost TT, which we may anyway.  (fingers crossed that we don't)  We may have lost Otoule or Fulce, but as I've shown, maybe not.

I hope Buzz turns out to be a good hire.  If the powers that be hired him primarily to keep next year's team together, they had the wrong priorities, and in 3 years the heat will be on.  If they hired him because they've been impressed with his 8 months of employment, and thought that he was a hidden gem of a coach, then we'll all be talking about how great a hire this was 3 years from now.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2008, 10:09:47 AM »
Right now Buzz is doing a better job at stemming the defections at MU than Crean at IU.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 10:40:58 AM »
Right now Buzz is doing a better job at stemming the defections at MU than Crean at IU.

He is?  First off, Crean had no relationship with any of those IU players.  Buzz did have a relationship with many of the MU players so it's not apples to apples.

And no one hates Buzz, silly comment quite frankly.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2008, 10:46:21 AM »

He is?  First off, Crean had no relationship with any of those IU players.  Buzz did have a relationship with many of the MU players so it's not apples to apples.

I actually think it would be a riot to have a few beers and shots of whiskey with Buzz. He had my cracking up when I went to his announcement at the Al.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 10:57:33 AM »
He seems like a very likable fellow and if that can translate into the homes of players and their parents, that will be a terrific thing.  Of course success on the court will also have to follow.  There is not hating of Buzz, that's for sure.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 10:58:06 AM »

Crean recruited Ebanks and he blew him off.  

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2008, 11:04:15 AM »

Change that to 2nd time head coach, Pakuni, and you get an A.

Oops. My bad.
The point remains, however.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2008, 11:08:42 AM »

They were both established assistant coaches at big time programs. Not a 9 month green horn. crap, a year ago not one person on this board would have been cuming in their boxers over Buzz, but now since he has saved some recruiters he is John Wooden. I wish I knew what his philosophy's were when it comes to hoops, that might help quell some of the uneasy feelings a lot of people have about this hire. All we know is he plays winning basketball. WTF is that?

Kevin O'Neill had three seasons experience as an assistant coach at a major program (Arizona) before landing the Marquette head-coaching job.

Buzz Williams has three years experience as an assistant coach at a major program (A&M and Marquette) before landing the Marquette head-coaching job.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2008, 11:09:14 AM »

Crean recruited Ebanks and he blew him off. 

You can't be serious.  Yeah, he recruited him and Ebanks SIGNED with Sampson and went to school becaues of Sampson.  This is the same as having a 9 month day to day relationship with player?  Are you really making that comparison?  Come on, not apples to apples at all.  Not even close.

So if Taylor decides not to come to MU since Buzz was his primary recruiter, does that mean Taylor blew Buzz off?

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2008, 11:12:19 AM »
I can honestly say that have nothing against Buzz. He did what is best for his family. What do you expect the guy to do. turn down the job? I think 99% of the anger out there is towards the school and the admin. Their actions often appear to be without any concern for its' customers.

As a parent of MU student I want the ball team to succeed and create revenues. The tuition is already high. As a fan, I want to see them win. My gut feeling is that Buzz is a good guy and could prove to be a good coach. But, again it seems that risk is bigger than reward.

Do any of the supporters think that Buzz will take us further than TC? If not, the gamble is staying the same or going backwards. MU admin rolled the dice. Time will tell if it was a smart roll of the dice.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2008, 11:15:45 AM »

Kevin O'Neill had three seasons experience as an assistant coach at a major program (Arizona) before landing the Marquette head-coaching job.

Buzz Williams has three years experience as an assistant coach at a major program (A&M and Marquette) before landing the Marquette head-coaching job.

Correct, and with MU coming off their worst 5 year period in their history, that gamble was worth risking.  Couldn't get any worse at that point.   That's what many of us are so puzzled by, the gamble.  The situation in 1989 when Kevin was hired is so dramatically different to 2007 it's not even in the same universe, yet the same gamble was taken. 

Independent vs Big East
Two straight losing seasons vs three straight NCAA appearance seasons
The Old Gym vs the Al

Hopefully the same results as that 1989 hire, but that doesn't change the gamble/risk is higher then it needed to be.

feedback