collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022 British Open Championship Thread  (Read 15518 times)

NolongerWarriors

• All American
Re: 2022 British Open Championship Thread
« Reply #325 on: July 19, 2022, 12:46:24 AM »
  cameron smith, henrik stenson, tommy fleetwood, hedeki matsuyama, marc leishman, bubba watson

gowne

who's next?

David Feherty

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #328 on: July 19, 2022, 03:52:48 PM »
Excellent interview/article with Ernie Els. He has a very reasonable approach to the whole LIV/PGA tour /DP World Tour imbroglio and advice to Cam Smith

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/world-according-to-ernie-els-talks-liv-golf-presidents-cup-cam-smith?utm_medium=email&utm_source=071922&utm_campaign=hitlist&utm_content=DM29784&uuid=85f898e378d547f4aa114b5572e1ddc5
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #329 on: July 19, 2022, 04:23:08 PM »
Trump is apparently "warning" PGA players to join LIV or eise.  #Clown

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #330 on: July 19, 2022, 04:26:09 PM »

I expect the “keep politics out of sports” crowd will be aghast

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #331 on: July 19, 2022, 04:30:49 PM »
Excellent interview/article with Ernie Els. He has a very reasonable approach to the whole LIV/PGA tour /DP World Tour imbroglio and advice to Cam Smith

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/world-according-to-ernie-els-talks-liv-golf-presidents-cup-cam-smith?utm_medium=email&utm_source=071922&utm_campaign=hitlist&utm_content=DM29784&uuid=85f898e378d547f4aa114b5572e1ddc5

Els is not realistic.

How much money have the Saudis already committed to LIV? With the guarantee deals they have given to a number of players, it has to be well over a billion dollars. And, it continues to grow. They are not shelling out that kind of cash in order to cut some deal with The Tour to run silly season events in the fall.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #332 on: July 19, 2022, 04:43:02 PM »
Wow.  I didn't realize Mardy Fish was that awesome at golf.  He's in the 3m tournament.  And he plays lefty but was a right-handed tennis player?  Cool.  I believe Nadal golf's right-handed.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #333 on: July 19, 2022, 04:43:43 PM »
Els is not realistic.

How much money have the Saudis already committed to LIV? With the guarantee deals they have given to a number of players, it has to be well over a billion dollars. And, it continues to grow. They are not shelling out that kind of cash in order to cut some deal with The Tour to run silly season events in the fall.

When one of the first statements he says is that LIV isn’t “real golf,” I’m sure he’ll be taken seriously.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #334 on: July 19, 2022, 04:47:22 PM »

Maybe he wants to eventually sue the PGA Tour and win $3 in damages, as he did in causing the USFL's immediate demise.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #335 on: July 19, 2022, 05:26:34 PM »
I always thought LIV should be played in the off-season. Pay these guys a ton of money for exhibitions and it would’ve been hard for PGA to argue against it. Problem is Norman is hell bent on destroying the PGA. I was a big fan of Norman at one point but he is a bad apple. Between the Saturday night before Masters blowup and his night on board the boat with Clinton I am not sure which is worse. He is a bad guy.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #336 on: July 19, 2022, 05:27:55 PM »
I always thought LIV should be played in the off-season. Pay these guys a ton of money for exhibitions and it would’ve been hard for PGA to argue against it. Problem is Norman is hell bent on destroying the PGA. I was a big fan of Norman at one point but he is a bad apple. Between the Saturday night before Masters blowup and his night on board the boat with Clinton I am not sure which is worse. He is a bad guy.

He’s why these events are 54 holes.  He couldn’t finish 72

Goose

• All American
« Reply #337 on: July 19, 2022, 05:32:14 PM »
Norman could finish the deal, just not on the course in the big ones. Far more after hour success in his career.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #338 on: July 19, 2022, 05:34:37 PM »
Norman could finish the deal, just not on the course in the big ones. Far more after hour success in his career.

Ask Chris Evert

Seriously though, he thinks his legacy is Bobby Jones, Ben Hogan and Jack Nicklaus-like.  He’s not even Faldo

MU82

• All American
« Reply #339 on: July 19, 2022, 05:56:29 PM »
He’s not even Faldo

That's for sure, and it's not even particularly close. Of course, he had a big hand in helping Faldo's legacy.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #340 on: July 19, 2022, 06:46:12 PM »
Ask Chris Evert

Seriously though, he thinks his legacy is Bobby Jones, Ben Hogan and Jack Nicklaus-like.  He’s not even Faldo

That's for sure, and it's not even particularly close. Of course, he had a big hand in helping Faldo's legacy.

Its such a weird legacy when you think of it.  He won 20 times on the PGA tour and probably would have won 6-8 more if he spent all his time more time in the US like Aussies now instead of the old Aussie tour.  He was #1 for nearly 4 times as long as Faldo.  He won more PGA tournies than Faldo. He has almost 10 more major top 10s than Faldo, 6 more top 5s...

But Faldo was a finisher and has 6 majors while Norman has so many of those top 5s cause he imploded late.  Nobody is trading Faldo's career for Norman's, even though the latter was consistently "better" for longer overall.  Maybe he would be in the Hogan/Bobby Jones convo if he wasn't a mush brain on Sundays....and not a completely douche

MU82

• All American
« Reply #341 on: July 19, 2022, 06:56:10 PM »
Its such a weird legacy when you think of it.  He won 20 times on the PGA tour and probably would have won 6-8 more if he spent all his time more time in the US like Aussies now instead of the old Aussie tour.  He was #1 for nearly 4 times as long as Faldo.  He won more PGA tournies than Faldo. He has almost 10 more major top 10s than Faldo, 6 more top 5s...

But Faldo was a finisher and has 6 majors while Norman has so many of those top 5s cause he imploded late.  Nobody is trading Faldo's career for Norman's, even though the latter was consistently "better" for longer overall.  Maybe he would be in the Hogan/Bobby Jones convo if he wasn't a mush brain on Sundays....and not a completely douche

Yep, he wrote his own "legacy" ... and wrote a big chunk of Faldo's too!

He almost came across as a sympathetic figure in the recent documentary that mostly centered on his Masters collapse. I was impressed that he was willing to be so open about being his starring role in one of the most epic failures in the history of professional sports. But I also know he's a Class A jerk, so there's that.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #342 on: July 19, 2022, 08:14:15 PM »
Yep, he wrote his own "legacy" ... and wrote a big chunk of Faldo's too!

He almost came across as a sympathetic figure in the recent documentary that mostly centered on his Masters collapse. I was impressed that he was willing to be so open about being his starring role in one of the most epic failures in the history of professional sports. But I also know he's a Class A jerk, so there's that.

That '96 Masters collapse was insane and beyond human comprehension.  In an individual sport I'm not sure anything is comparable.  Obviously Van de Velde on 18 at the British was crazy but wasn't Norman #1 in the world?  Maybe there is something in the Olympics but I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #343 on: July 19, 2022, 08:39:02 PM »
Lexi Thompson losing a 5 shot lead on the back nine of a US Open ranks up there.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #344 on: July 19, 2022, 08:44:07 PM »
Lexi Thompson losing a 5 shot lead on the back nine of a US Open ranks up there.

Good point Tower.  Especially whiffing the entire hole on like a 3 foot putt. 

The Buster Douglas/Tyson upset comes to mind but I'm not sure that would be described as a choke job.

The commentary during the Van de Velde meltdown was absolutely brilliant.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #345 on: July 19, 2022, 09:17:02 PM »
That '96 Masters collapse was insane and beyond human comprehension.  In an individual sport I'm not sure anything is comparable.  Obviously Van de Velde on 18 at the British was crazy but wasn't Norman #1 in the world?  Maybe there is something in the Olympics but I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

I think Norman had recently lost #1 by that point.  But he was still POY the year before.  Van de Velde was more historic and catestrophic in the short period, but he was a nobody ranked outside the top 150 who had played a really good 3 days of golf.  Not a superstar who won 2 majors and was dominating the field all week like Norman in 96.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #346 on: July 19, 2022, 09:27:48 PM »
I think I'll hit Portrush for the '25 Open. 

feedback