[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: National Marquette Day - SUNDAY 2/9 vs Butler  (Read 36572 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: National Marquette Day - SUNDAY 2/9 vs Butler
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2019, 12:43:27 PM »
No, actually I implied you can't really control how you feel but you can decide to make the most of it.  I'm sure the school wasn't happy with their options either, but it is what it is. 

You can either take your ball and go home and not attend... or you can make it the most epic weekend of NMD'ing that anyone has ever NMD'd before!

I was just making a joke about how ridiculous that other thread has become.

Maigh Eo for Sam

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2019, 12:44:05 PM »
NMD is the only NMD of the year, yes.

Solutions? Those are ideas, not solutions. Solutions solve the problem which is that the game is on a Sunday for god knows what reason. People are grasping at straws trying to defend Sunday. Who the hell likes anything on a Sunday?

Okay fine, be miserable, cancel your tickets and your fandom.  Seriously, people here are trying to help you deal with the loss of not having NMD on a Saturday, and you're kinda acting like a 5 year old.  Grow up.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2019, 12:44:28 PM »
I don't need to be lectured on life on the mubb message board.
Then stop crying

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2019, 12:45:22 PM »
Then stop crying
I'm voicing my displeasure and many people agree with me. Just because this doesn't affect you, doesn't mean it doesn't affect other people.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2019, 12:46:40 PM »
Because NMD is the only holiday of the year?  Look, we get it, you're upset.  But multiple posters have offered multiple solutions to your problem and you don't seem to want to listen. 

In reality, it's like Christmas being moved to December 26th.  It wont be the same, but acting like it's totally ruined is a step too far.

This is a great example. We had to move the day we celebrated Christmas with our extended family because of a conflict with traveling.  My sister was so angry she decided to not show up with her kids and husband.  Christmas was "ruined" because we always celebrated together after church on Christmas eve and it just wouldn't be the same.  We had a lovely time without them, wished they were there, and although she never admitted it I'm pretty sure she regretted the decision.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2019, 12:48:44 PM »
I'm voicing my displeasure and many people agree with me. Just because this doesn't affect you, doesn't mean it doesn't affect other people.

Have a cream soda
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2019, 12:49:25 PM »
Have a cream soda
Nah, it's bikini season.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2019, 12:50:13 PM »
There's another reason for this: television. Marquette/DePaul will be on Fox Sports regional networks. It could be hard to find, especially with all the worldwide viewing parties.

The Butler game is the only Big East game that day and will be on FS1, which is far more widely carried. While the biggest celebrations will be local, having the ability to reach Marquette fans outside the Midwest likely factored in as well.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2019, 12:51:17 PM »
This is a great example. We had to move the day we celebrated Christmas with our extended family because of a conflict with traveling.  My sister was so angry she decided to not show up with her kids and husband.  Christmas was "ruined" because we always celebrated together after church on Christmas eve and it just wouldn't be the same.  We had a lovely time without them, wished they were there, and although she never admitted it I'm pretty sure she regretted the decision.

That's really a sad story UWW.  Hopefully that's all patched up because life is too short.  Our family deals with stuff like that every year because our daughter is a nurse.  Hospitals don't close you know.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2019, 12:51:48 PM »

And that's exactly why I was trying to help come up with alternative's so that you could still enjoy something that is clearly very important to you.  I could have just glanced at your posts and written it off as another angry person on the internet, but instead I'm trying to help.  The way the schedule worked out this year nothing will replicate the real deal, I get it, but what would come as close as possible to giving you as good of a weekend experience as possible?  Lets find the silver lining.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2019, 12:52:23 PM »
There's another reason for this: television. Marquette/DePaul will be on Fox Sports regional networks. It could be hard to find, especially with all the worldwide viewing parties.

The Butler game is the only Big East game that day and will be on FS1, which is far more widely carried. While the biggest celebrations will be local, having the ability to reach Marquette fans outside the Midwest likely factored in as well.

Didn't think to look at the TV sitch, but I'm guessing this is the main reason.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2019, 12:52:31 PM »
And that's exactly why I was trying to help come up with alternative's so that you could still enjoy something that is clearly very important to you.  I could have just glanced at your posts and written it off as another angry person on the internet, but instead I'm trying to help.  The way the schedule worked out this year nothing will replicate the real deal, I get it, but what would come as close as possible to giving you as good of a weekend experience as possible?  Lets find the silver lining.
If it was just my friends it'd be easy, it's the thousands of other people that come for that week. The city is Marquette that day. Nothing can replicate that.

Also I agree it's probably the TV situation. Don't really care though.

Thanks for helping me kill a couple hours at work. Toodles

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2019, 12:52:56 PM »

Ding, ding, ding.  For those of you that play Sheepshead, Queen of Clubs right there.  100% TOTAL non-starter.  Good work Brew.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 12:55:16 PM by jsglow »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2019, 12:53:32 PM »

I can see this being 100x’s more likely the reason than the Super Bowl. Thanks for the info.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2019, 12:54:55 PM »
If it was just my friends it'd be easy, it's the thousands of other people that come for that week. The city is Marquette that day. Nothing can replicate that.

Also I agree it's probably the TV situation. Don't really care though.

Thanks for helping me kill a couple hours at work. Toodles

I'll ask again.

nothing will replicate the real deal, I get it, but what would come as close as possible to giving you as good of a weekend experience as possible?  Lets find the silver lining.

Boards

• Walk-On
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2019, 12:56:29 PM »
BOO ALL SUNDAY GAMES!!!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2019, 12:58:53 PM »
Hopefully Brew's new info helps Wolfgang.  ;D

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2019, 12:59:58 PM »
They were caught between a rock and a hard place.  11a Sunday.  Plenty of time to catch a flight home.  It was either that or Superbowl weekend.  Pick your poison.  Frankly I think it was a reasonable answer.

“National” Marquette Day is the key reason this is bad.  Half the country can’t find an open bar to get alumni groups together as no bars are even open. Watching this game at Denny’s is a non-starter.

Then there is church for those who still attend.

That said, not much other choice due to schedules.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2019, 01:01:47 PM »
There should only be a National Marquette Day if they win a national championship anyway
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2019, 01:02:42 PM »
DePaul is a local TV game. While, Butler is on National TV. The difference between those two dates.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 01:11:20 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2019, 01:03:49 PM »
DePaul is a local TV game. While, Butler is on National TV.

He was asking about January/March.   :)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2019, 01:07:13 PM »
If NMD is such a big deal, something you look forward to all year, take Monday off. If you aren't willing to do that, maybe it wasn't such a big deal after all....

Way too much whining here.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 01:08:56 PM by GooooMarquette »

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2019, 01:08:29 PM »
Never mind that most bars aren't open for watch parties at 11am on a Sunday in the first place, but if its due to TV, then they should combine National Marquette Day and senior day against Seton Hall on 2/29.  If its not a TV issue, then it should be on 2/1 against DePaul.

I understand the options weren't great, but this was a dumb decision.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2019, 01:10:52 PM »
NMD was on 2/3/18.  I don't remember that being a big issue, except of course I was held up in airport security behind a Pats fan running his tri-cornered hat through the x-ray machine.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2019, 01:11:34 PM »
Never mind that most bars aren't open for watch parties at 11am on a Sunday in the first place...

As a born and bred Wisconsinite, I don't understand this statement.  Can you translate?