[Today at 02:58:54 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2012 MLB Thread  (Read 72754 times)

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
Re: MLB Thread
« Reply #125 on: May 26, 2012, 01:41:10 PM »
Now that Estrada is on the DL, the Brewers brought up Mike McClendon. I wish Peralta would be given his first opportunity in the rotation but he's pitched sub-par this season. Thornburg is once again pitching lights out this year and is right now 6-0 with a 2.98 ERA at AA. Wonder if he'll get a shot this year?

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #126 on: June 06, 2012, 08:11:44 PM »
did anyone watch the MLB draft?

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #127 on: June 14, 2012, 06:31:07 PM »
Quick example of why being completely reliant on WAR is a risky move.  Right now, Darwin Barney is 5th in the NL in WAR.    Clearly he is having a better season than Braun, Cargo, McCutchen, Strasburg, etc...

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2012, 09:57:54 AM »
Quick example of why being completely reliant on WAR is a risky move.  Right now, Darwin Barney is 5th in the NL in WAR.    Clearly he is having a better season than Braun, Cargo, McCutchen, Strasburg, etc...

yep he's an MVP canidate (not)

reinko

• All American
« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2012, 10:31:19 AM »
Milwaukee Brewers 2012:

SELL SELL SELL

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2012, 10:41:53 AM »
Milwaukee Brewers 2012:

SELL SELL SELL

With some luck, they could eventually make the big move of becoming a "Don't Buy."  Any AD fans out there?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2012, 10:48:26 AM »
With some luck, they could eventually make the big move of becoming a "Don't Buy."  Any AD fans out there?

Perhaps, with enough luck, the Brew Crew could become risky.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #132 on: June 16, 2012, 01:11:49 PM »
Greinke, Marcum, and Wolf are FA's next year. Estrada and Narveson are arbitration eligible. Greinke could be traded for prospects at the deadline if we aren't in contention, or be released and get a compensation 1st round draft pick, but I prefer the first. A contract extension would probably cost too much. I would like to keep Marcum, and Greinke if possible. Not Wolf, he's old and washed up. Tyler Thornburg could take a spot next year as he deserves it. Peralta is likely ahead of him, but he's pitched like crap this year. Narveson, Estrada or both could be resigned. Fiers is a capable replacement but I'll bet he'd be moved to the bullpen. Would be a rotation of 1) Gallardo 2) Marcum 3) Peralta 4) Thornburg 5) Narveson/Estrada/Fiers.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #133 on: June 16, 2012, 01:21:56 PM »
but at the point where thats your youth revolution rotation, why pay to keep marcum? invest that money elsewhere or save it moving forward. you aren't going to the playoffs with that rotation, so let someone else spend the money on marcum. at that point, i think you're better off just looking for cheap innings eaters and saving the money/using it to sign younger guys long term.

if anything, the past few outings are raising Marcum's value higher than it has been since when the brewers traded for him last year. the time to move him is nigh before he forgets how to throws strikes/his breaking pitches gain velocity again.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #134 on: June 17, 2012, 11:29:37 AM »
but at the point where thats your youth revolution rotation, why pay to keep marcum? invest that money elsewhere or save it moving forward. you aren't going to the playoffs with that rotation, so let someone else spend the money on marcum. at that point, i think you're better off just looking for cheap innings eaters and saving the money/using it to sign younger guys long term.

if anything, the past few outings are raising Marcum's value higher than it has been since when the brewers traded for him last year. the time to move him is nigh before he forgets how to throws strikes/his breaking pitches gain velocity again.

Marcum has proved he is worth the money in my opinion. Keeping him or letting him go is a win/win. He is an asset to the team, but if he is let go the money they get is important in signing another player(s).

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #135 on: June 19, 2012, 11:44:09 AM »
Tyler Thornburg got called up to start tonight.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #136 on: June 20, 2012, 06:37:54 PM »
Tyler Thornburg got called up to start tonight.

And got bombed.  Long game to be at but the ball was jumping with the heat and humidity.  Ax Man is having a rough spell.  Still has the velocity but seems to have lost his movement on his fastball.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #137 on: June 22, 2012, 09:45:26 PM »
Clearly Brewers' fans stuffed the ballot box (in an effort to prove their massive inferiority complex).  ;)

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8084525/battle-ballparks-miller-park-defeats-att-park

chapman

• All American
« Reply #138 on: June 22, 2012, 10:30:26 PM »
The final write-up was the only one all week where Capel wasn't being a tool towards Milwaukee / Miller Park.  Honestly, if he'd have accurately put it somewhere between 10-16 from the get-go I don't think Brewers fans would have been all up in arms and ruined his little contest.  It does compare favorably in many of the criteria listed. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #139 on: June 22, 2012, 11:03:55 PM »
Miller Park is at least middle of the pack or better in every single one of Caple's categories... probably top 5 in a two or three (price, roof, maybe seating).  So how does that deserve a 24th place ranking?

I'm not saying Miller Park is #1 or even top 5.  But it's closer to #1 than it is to #24.  Frankly, Caple's egging on of Brewers Nation was probably intentional... there's nothing like controversy to drive traffic to your website.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #140 on: June 23, 2012, 09:04:06 AM »
Funny how Miller Park is beating out every stadium in the polls probably just because of the loyal fans. I regulate ESPN conversation boards and fans of other teams don't know what to do.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #141 on: June 23, 2012, 09:14:33 AM »
Funny how Miller Park is beating out every stadium in the polls probably just because of the loyal fans. I regulate ESPN conversation boards and fans of other teams don't know what to do.

Those Brewers fans look like equal idiots.

Because it is Wisconsin, where every fan is a professional beer drinker and brat eater. That equals a great party.

Nice.

Either way, I'd say Miller Park is in the upper 1/4 of ballparks. PNC and AT&T are superior though. I've heard Camden is nice.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #142 on: June 23, 2012, 10:51:01 AM »
I live in Boston, Fenway is an armpit of a stadium.  Go once for nostalgia purposes, then stay far far away.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2012, 11:13:59 AM »
Miller Park is at least middle of the pack or better in every single one of Caple's categories... probably top 5 in a two or three (price, roof, maybe seating).

I disagree.  I like Miller Park, but it needs to be docked significantly for at least two  categories:

"1. Location: The best ballparks not only are in the heart of a city, but they also feel as if they are deep in the city's soul, with identifiable views, distinctive features and a relationship with the surroundings."

-Miller Park is essentially in the middle of a parking lot.  Outsiders can drive to a Brewers game and never even see Milwaukee.  The only "identifiable view" is of 94.

"3. History: Even the best facilities filled with every imaginable amenity and design touch are lacking until the memories of past games are thick. As James Earl Jones says in "Field of Dreams,'' fans "will have to brush them from their faces.''

-I know it's hard to have history when you're only 10 years old, (and a large percentage of stadiums now have been built post 1995), but MP's most "historical" moment is probably the All-Star game ending in a tie.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #144 on: June 23, 2012, 02:33:56 PM »
Having been to 12 of the current MLB stadiums, I can honestly say that Miller Park is pretty unmemorable. In fact, swap LF chalet/slide for RF pool and it's the same stadium as non-descript Chase Field in Phoenix (ranked #23 by Caple) except it's in a worse location in the city. I don't dislike Miller Park but it feels a lot like a newer version of the old school "cookie cutter" stadiums.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #145 on: June 23, 2012, 04:53:18 PM »
I disagree.  I like Miller Park, but it needs to be docked significantly for at least two  categories:

"1. Location: The best ballparks not only are in the heart of a city, but they also feel as if they are deep in the city's soul, with identifiable views, distinctive features and a relationship with the surroundings."

-Miller Park is essentially in the middle of a parking lot.  Outsiders can drive to a Brewers game and never even see Milwaukee.  The only "identifiable view" is of 94.

"3. History: Even the best facilities filled with every imaginable amenity and design touch are lacking until the memories of past games are thick. As James Earl Jones says in "Field of Dreams,'' fans "will have to brush them from their faces.''

-I know it's hard to have history when you're only 10 years old, (and a large percentage of stadiums now have been built post 1995), but MP's most "historical" moment is probably the All-Star game ending in a tie.

If the Menomonee Valley isn't deep in the soul of Milwaukee, then Milwaukee has no soul.  Besides, the location is perfect for what makes MP truly great... tailgating.

MP is built on the ancient burial ground of County Stadium.  At what other stadium can you tailgate over the exact spot where the King's 755th landed?  There's a lot more history at MP than you think.  It's not "genuine" history like Fenway or Wrigley, but it's still more than the post-95s as you stated.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #146 on: June 23, 2012, 09:03:09 PM »

I think this would put it at the very top of the "Transportation" category though.  Can't think of a ballpark that is more accessible than Miller Park.  Milwaukee is also the first or second best big city for traffic flow.  Getting to and from the park while at MU was less of a chore than walking to class; getting to and from the park in a lot of MLB cities is painful.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #147 on: June 24, 2012, 10:43:56 PM »
No Livan Hernandez posts? For shame.

I like the signing. Those criticizing it have been from a "why are they buying/this won't help them contend" angle. But that's not what this trade was about. Hernandez has always been nothing if not an innings eater, and if/when the Brewers sell, all they really have to draw interest are two starters and a set up man. That's a lot of innings that someone has to pitch.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #148 on: June 25, 2012, 07:54:48 AM »
After yesterday's debacle, I am surprised that Cody Ransom is still on the team, and I would be very close to dumping Morgan as well....but would probably keep him.  Ransom has 78 ABs and struck out 40 times.  What's the point?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #149 on: June 25, 2012, 08:02:08 AM »
After yesterday's debacle, I am surprised that Cody Ransom is still on the team, and I would be very close to dumping Morgan as well....but would probably keep him.  Ransom has 78 ABs and struck out 40 times.  What's the point?

Text message I sent to my cousin yesterday (before he threw a single pitch):

"F***ing Manny Parra.  Brewers need to cut him loose."

response:

"Text from 2008"

The Brewers have no bats this year outside of Braun (Lucroy is injured).