[Today at 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marv Albert retiring  (Read 5956 times)

MU82

• All American
Marv Albert retiring
« on: May 16, 2021, 11:36:07 PM »
https://nypost.com/2021/05/15/marv-albert-retiring-after-2021-nba-playoffs/

End of an era.

The best play-by-play guy ever. Period. Case closed.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
Re: Marv Albert retiring
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 11:41:50 PM »
Simply the best. I have appreciated Marv all if these years. The news kind of makes me sad.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 11:20:24 AM »
He's a legend but it was time. He couldn't keep up and the remote booth setup was really hard for him.

Between Marv not knowing who was on the floor and Webber being generally awful, TNT has a great opportunity to upgrade.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 11:25:15 AM »
Is it possible Brian Anderson would be moving up the depth chart?

The Brewers give him a lot of flexibility, but wonder how long we will be able to keep him. I don’t know if this would raise his workload any during MLB season as he’s already doing NBA playoffs.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 11:30:05 AM »
Is it possible Brian Anderson would be moving up the depth chart?

The Brewers give him a lot of flexibility, but wonder how long we will be able to keep him. I don’t know if this would raise his workload any during MLB season as he’s already doing NBA playoffs.

I'd normally be pissed about losing BA but I can't watch any games on Bally's Sports so F em.

Couldn't deal with a full summer of Matt Lepay, if I do get to watch the games again.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 11:32:05 AM »
I'd normally be pissed about losing BA but I can't watch any games on Bally's Sports so F em.

Couldn't deal with a full summer of Matt Lepay, if I do get to watch the games again.

Not to sidetrack this too far, but for the life of me I cannot get the Bally Sports app to work on my roku. The verification website takes me to the wrong login page. I got it to work once, but didn’t keep me signed in.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 12:29:05 PM »
He's a legend but it was time. He couldn't keep up and the remote booth setup was really hard for him.

Between Marv not knowing who was on the floor and Webber being generally awful, TNT has a great opportunity to upgrade.

Marv has been slipping from his own extremely high standards for a couple years now, not as sharp as he had been for some 5 decades, and I hated seeing that. Glad he decided to call it quits with his legacy firmly intact.

As a Knicks and Rangers fan when I was a kid, I grew up listening to Marv Albert on the radio. I used to love the way he described plays. Monroe wasn't just fouled, he was "run into." Bradley didn't just make a layup, "he drives and hits!" In an end-of-game inbound situation, Phil Jackson would defend the inbounder, using his long arms "to provide the windmill effect."

And of course, the signature (and oft-imitated) made-basket call in the history of the sport: "Yesss!" And if the player got hacked: "Yesss ... AND IT COUNTS! There was a foul on the play!"

And despite his familiarity with the players, Albert almost always referred to them by their last names. It was Reed and DeBusschere and Frazier, not Willis, Dave and Clyde. He obviously was calling Knicks games, but he was no homer; to this day homer announcers bother me, even if I'm a fan of the team.

I actually liked him even better for hockey, with his, "Kick save ... AND A BEAUTY!" being his most imitated line. Also an excellent football and boxing announcer once upon a time.

As Goose said, simply the best.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 12:30:20 PM »
"a spectacular move!" "Yes."

It's amazing how he survived the sex scandal in 1997. That wouldn't happen today.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 12:45:09 PM »

It's amazing how he survived the sex scandal in 1997. That wouldn't happen today.

I was just thinking that.  People go down these for inappropriate statements or unwanted hugs/gropes, Albert plead guilty to multiple sexual misdemeanors (dropped from felonies i believe) and had a suspended sentence.  I remember being surprised that he returned without a hitch back then, its unthinkable now.

Agreed.  Kevin Harlan has a similar voice and is really the gold standard for the modern NBA and really eclipsed Albert.   He'd been off his game for awhile, even pre remote

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 01:20:11 PM »
I think his retiring deserves this little send-off...

:P

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2021, 01:37:15 PM »
Not to sidetrack this too far, but for the life of me I cannot get the Bally Sports app to work on my roku. The verification website takes me to the wrong login page. I got it to work once, but didn’t keep me signed in.

Keep trying. I had to try about 50x before it finally worked. Had more luck when I pulled up the verification on my laptop instead of my phone.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2021, 01:38:39 PM »

This. Another annoyance was the amount of times he said "_______ for three" on shots four feet inside the arc.

Great announcer. But it was time.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2021, 01:52:03 PM »
I was just thinking that.  People go down these for inappropriate statements or unwanted hugs/gropes, Albert plead guilty to multiple sexual misdemeanors (dropped from felonies i believe) and had a suspended sentence.  I remember being surprised that he returned without a hitch back then, its unthinkable now.

Agreed.  Kevin Harlan has a similar voice and is really the gold standard for the modern NBA and really eclipsed Albert.   He'd been off his game for awhile, even pre remote

I think the most "scandalous" revelations were the biting and wearing a garter belt. Social media would have a field day with that today.

And I do love Harlan (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75iExVNvrWw&t=65s). He and Mike Breen are the gold standards for NBA announcers today. Brian Anderson is excellent too and will always be a favorite in Portland (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGpfXW-AuFY).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 01:56:56 PM by Billy Hoyle »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2021, 01:54:52 PM »
I think the most "scandalous" revelations were the biting and wearing a garter belt. Social media would have a field day with that today.

And I do love Harlan (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75iExVNvrWw&t=65s). He and Mike Breen are the gold standards for NBA announcers today.

Harlan calling streakers on the field is amazing. Really the only bad thing I can say about him is his daughter’s poor choice in husband.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2021, 01:56:25 PM »

And I do love Harlan (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75iExVNvrWw&t=65s). He and Mike Breen are the gold standards for NBA announcers today.

Ian Eagle >>>>>>>>>
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2021, 02:12:56 PM »

Marv did "survive," though IIRC he had to miss a season or two, so it's not as if he wasn't "punished."

And yes, Harlan is a lot of fun.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2021, 02:29:35 PM »
Ian Eagle and Kevin Harlan are really good. I enjoy BA as well.

Jim Jackson is really good as an analyst. Hope he gets more pro opportunities.

Man, if they could launch Reggie now I'd do cartwheels.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2021, 04:42:06 PM »
Ian Eagle and Kevin Harlan are really good. I enjoy BA as well.

Jim Jackson is really good as an analyst. Hope he gets more pro opportunities.

Man, if they could launch Reggie now I'd do cartwheels.

you have the choice of launching Reggie or Chris Webber. Which one do you choose and why Webber?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2021, 04:50:33 PM »

Not just a sex scandal.

Sexual assault.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2021, 04:51:21 PM »
I think the most  "scandalous" revelations were the nonconsensual biting and wearing a garter belt. Social media would have a field day with that today.

And I do love Harlan (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75iExVNvrWw&t=65s). He and Mike Breen are the gold standards for NBA announcers today. Brian Anderson is excellent too and will always be a favorite in Portland (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGpfXW-AuFY).

FIFY

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2021, 04:52:52 PM »
Guy was amazing at what he did, no doubt.

I just think its funny the allowances we make for people who are good at their jobs or contribute to our entertainment or sense of nostalgia.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2021, 05:50:00 PM »
you have the choice of launching Reggie or Chris Webber. Which one do you choose and why Webber?

Webber and Turner Sports parted ways over the weekend
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2021, 09:08:03 PM »
Guy was amazing at what he did, no doubt.

I just think its funny the allowances we make for people who are good at their jobs or contribute to our entertainment or sense of nostalgia.

I obviously don’t approve of what Albert did, but many many times in this forum I have said I am a strong believer in second chances.

Albert was punished. Some might not like how he was punished, but he was. Beyond that, I have no idea if he made amends or how.

What I do know is that Marv Albert is the best sports announcer in history. And yes, I admit I’m a little nostalgic when it comes to remembering him as the voice of my teams 25 years before he was caught doing something bad.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2021, 09:31:39 PM »
Marv Albert and Frank Gifford were both great announcers that hat some scandals going on as well .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2021, 08:43:42 AM »
“Albert finally agreed to the plea bargain after a second woman--a surprise witness--testified that three years ago Albert met her in a motel room wearing white panties and a garter belt. He lunged at her and then bit her, she said. The woman testified that she escaped his clutches after ripping his toupee off his head.“
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.