collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: How Many Illegitimate Children does the Men's Cincy Team Have?  (Read 3938 times)

LON

• All American

HomeCourtAdvantage

• Scholarship Player
Re: How Many Illegitimate Children does the Men's Cincy Team Have?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 12:43:51 PM »
"They’re poppin’ those things out like cherry pits out of one’s mouth."

Classic.
Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 11:51:15 PM »
People are saying he should be reprimanded for his comments but really did he say anything wrong?  I mean if it is true that they have over 6 kids then he was just stating a fact.

What if someone on the radio says UW's basketball team has amassed over $2,000 in fines to the state of Wisconsin.  They could buy shoes with that money.  Is it wrong to say that? 

It's nothing like Don Imus who called the Rutgers women's basketball team names.  This guy used facts.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 11:55:02 PM by TallTitan34 »

nola03

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 09:12:15 AM »
It's nothing like Don Imus who called the Rutgers women's basketball team names.  This guy used facts.

Actually, it's very much the same issue. Both can be construed as an attack on black culture.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you trust that Bill Cunningham, a political commentator, knows the "facts" surrounding the UC men's basketball team?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 11:01:32 AM »
Care to run this topic about other programs as well? I think you'd be surprised that even the local favorites may not score so well in this pole.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 03:50:46 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

State

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 01:43:23 PM »
I agree--I can think of 3, maybe 4, kids from current MU players...

....don't ask---don't tell....

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 02:10:09 PM »
Care to run this topic about other programs as well? I think you'd be surprised that even the local favorites play not score so well in this pole.

You're talking about Scott Skiles' 6 illegitimate kids, right?  ;)
The General has taken on a new command.

JSwarriors08

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 02:58:58 PM »
Both can be construed as an attack on black culture.

Is having illegitimate children a fixture and/or celebrated piece of black culture?  I find your comment fairly offensive.  He didn't say anything about their race.  Granted it's a stupid conversation to have, as it's not rare in this day and age for college-age kids to have children, but he didn't say anything about African-American players.  Therefore, any association between the two was made IN YOUR OWN MIND, which makes them a product of your own stereotypes and preconceptions.  Oops.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 03:20:30 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what makes you trust that Bill Cunningham, a political commentator, knows the "facts" surrounding the UC men's basketball team?

I'm only saying if it's true what he said then I don't see a problem.  Facts are facts.  If he made it up out of nowhere that's a different issue.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 03:21:46 PM »

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 03:30:39 PM »
Actually, it's very much the same issue. Both can be construed as an attack on black culture.

Cunningham didn't say it was because they are black.  You did with your stereotype.

There's white people with several illegitimate kids:  Scott Skiles.  There's black people with illegitimate kids: Dickie Simpkins. 

And there are nappy headed white people too haha!

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 04:37:48 PM »
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/05/28/101-being-offended/

And yes, I'm being rather presumptive.

haha, I've heard that's a great book and am looking to start it soon.

nola03

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 05:20:49 PM »
Cunningham didn't say it was because they are black.  You did with your stereotype.

Do you know the makeup of the Cincinnati basketball team?

If I'm to jump into the sand with you and the person above, then I'm to believe that Mr. Cunningham has no idea that the UC men's basketball team consists entirely of black players except for the walk-on. It's hard to imagine he would have no idea. Just as hard as it would be to imagine Mark Belling saying the exact same comment about the MU basketball team without knowing the makeup of the team.

I'm still interested in why you trust what this political commentator had to say about a sports team. Is he qualified in this area or is he simply using his forum for other motives? Do his political/moral beliefs influence his words? If he shows signs of bias in other comments, should we read bias into these comments and dismiss them as unfounded?

Would you trust Mark Belling to know the "facts" about certain MU basketball issues? Especially an issue that may never find its full truth? You certainly didn't trust Don Imus w/r/t the Rutgers women's team.

As for the mock horror shown by you and the person above, any person who has spent their time researching issues of culture knows that there are certain themes within each culture that are exploited to use in an attack. I've done the research and engage with this nearly every day.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 06:11:23 PM »
I'm just saying if what he said is true there is nothing wrong with it.

feedback