[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Cubs Are Making Quite A Few Moves  (Read 4488 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
The Cubs Are Making Quite A Few Moves
« on: December 31, 2008, 03:54:20 PM »
Mark DeRosa was traded to the Indians today for Jeff Stevens, lefty John Gaub and Chris Archer.  This doesn't make sense unless the prospects will be used in a package for Peavy which is apparently back on again.

The Cubs also signed former Cardinal Aaron Miles today to a 2 year deal.

A lot of sources are saying Milton Bradley has signed with the Cubs and that it will be announced next week.

It has also been confirmed that the Cubs are in negotiations with the Rockies to trade Jason Marquis for Luis Vizcaino.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081231&content_id=3730597&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

🏀

• All American
Re: The Cubs Are Making Quite A Few Moves
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 04:04:25 PM »
Dumping Marquis and signing Bradley is a good offseason.

Dumping Marquis, signing Bradley and acquiring Peavy is masterful.

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 10:54:41 PM »
Do you really think anything the Cubs do will make a difference?

They are the Cubs.  The will find a way to lose no matter how much talent they have on their team. 

Plus, I would love to see Zambrano and Milton Bradley in the same clubhouse.  Talk about a trainwreck waiting to happen.  My guess is Bradley melts down first and Zambrano will follow shortly after that.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 09:49:05 AM »
Do you really think anything the Cubs do will make a difference?

They are the Cubs.  The will find a way to lose no matter how much talent they have on their team. 

Plus, I would love to see Zambrano and Milton Bradley in the same clubhouse.  Talk about a trainwreck waiting to happen.  My guess is Bradley melts down first and Zambrano will follow shortly after that.

Typical.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 10:18:33 AM »
I wouldn't necessarily dismiss the point. That's a lot of personality/ego in the same clubhouse, and when you throw Piniella into the mix there's a chance of a blow up at some point.

Won't be enough to cost them the Central... but it could lead to some good television :)

RedWebster

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 10:48:51 AM »
The Cubs WANT personality in the clubhouse. They've had quiet teams lay down two years in a row in the post-season. They're actively seeking somebody to stir things up. Pinella wants this.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 10:51:03 AM »
The Cubs WANT personality in the clubhouse. They've had quiet teams lay down two years in a row in the post-season. They're actively seeking somebody to stir things up. Pinella wants this.

+1

Enough of the quiet types. This is a reason why DeRosa was moved. We have enough 'quiet clubhouse leaders'.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 03:33:07 PM »
+1

Enough of the quiet types. This is a reason why DeRosa was moved. We have enough 'quiet clubhouse leaders'.

I think they are going to miss DeRosa a lot, especially since he is so versatile.  Bradley would be a good pick-up but he has had some trouble staying on the field.  Of course they'll prolly run away in the central again so I'm sure they are focusing on how to get more production in the post-season, especially against RHP.

PTM or Titan: What's the deal with Edmonds, I can't seem to really find any info on whether the Cubs are interested in signing him or not.  He had a pretty good run for the Cubs last year and I don't think he is gonna demand too much $. 

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 11:32:11 PM »
I actually haven't heard anything about any team's interest in Jim Edmonds.  I know he was thinking retirement.

Reed Johnson was resigned so he for sure will be in center.  Fukudome can also go get them in center, though he will be needed in right with the trade of DeRosa.  Look for Felix Pie to be traded because he is out of options between AAA and the bigs.  Aaron Miles can play some outfield though I'm not sure if he is more of a corner outfielder. 

Personally, I liked the platoon of Edmonds and Johnson last season as it gave both guys some rest.  I love Reed Johnson but I can't say for 100% certainty he is an everyday player.  I think the prorated league minimum that the Cubs were paying Edmonds last season is what made him so attractive.  If they can get a deal on Jimmy they may go get him but I doubt he returns.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 02:15:23 AM »
Also the Cubs have signed Paul Bako for another go around with the team.

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 11:23:14 PM »
Uh oh. I know you're not excited about Bako. Are you?

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 07:49:25 PM »
I'd take Hank White any day of the week.  I'm surprised Dusty let his guy Bako leave!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 01:48:12 PM »
jmayer,

Edmonds is waiting for the FA market to settle before making his decision to retire or not. Either way, it seems like the Cubs have let him know they wouldn't be making him an offer.

Cue any Lassie, manliner or half-shirt jokes.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 07:25:22 PM »

feedback