* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by THRILLHO
[Today at 09:50:17 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[Today at 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[Today at 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: no homo (nh)  (Read 46983 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: no homo (nh)
« Reply #100 on: September 26, 2018, 08:37:37 AM »
  Point well taken reinko, BUT, many of us are honestly just finding out, in this ever evolving world, what is offensive, kinda offensive, used to cool but is now offensive, not yet offensive but probably will be soon, etc etc.  a lot of this depends on where you live, how you live, who one interacts with, etc.  nh is a great example and there are many more.  Is this an excuse?  Nope, and I’ll try to explain why-

As I believe it was topper who said it earlier, he(and I included) had never heard of the term before.  I am only in my 50’s and I interact with a large sample of our populace, and I’m still not sure where we as a society are at with regards to pc.  I remember a short some time ago, we had a discussion on the proper way to address the female gender(no offense to the lgbtq and whichever I missed communities) in say, the workplace-ladies, women, girls, ms., mrs. Etc.  thank God for name tags.  Another example for me is, the term racist.  sadly or not, it’s meaning has expanded immensely since I was a, ahem, young child. 

My point is, or maybe, or better yet, my question is, who sets the standards of when these words et.al. officially go into affect?  As I mentioned, this is an ever evolving societal issue.  One could wander into an area and get physically harmed at worst, or unfairly labeled at least for being ignorant of the “meaning” of certain words, phrases or even body language, mean mugging for example.  Yes there are the obvious ones, but I don’t listen to rap/ hip-hop or much of the new(“hip”) stuff today which is where a lot of the aforementioned, I believe, originates. 

I do think one can realize when another is either being a “gomer”( is that ok?) or being a redneck(ruh-roh). It’s ok to call someone out, in a polite way if it is ambiguous if one is being non p.c.  Until one knows for sure, this is where the feathers tend to unnecessarily fly. If someone should be truly offended by something, the author should be given a fair chance to expand upon what it was to be deemed offensive.  I believe most of us are fair minded.  I am honestly still learning some of this stuff, so I guess that would put me part way into the “gomer”category

Disclaimer-using my iPad, there may be a few wtf’s as I do tend to miss some of the auto-corrects.  It had reinko changed to reinforcements for example.

This is a well stated post.  I think people should focus on the offending actions first and not who says them.  Take time to educate, which I think was done quite a bit in this thread by a number of posters.  Usually people will give others the benefit of the doubt.

Sadly though, instead of listening to why someone is offended, the main perpetrator of the phrase has decided to double down.  I just don't get that.  The English language, compared with a Marquette education, should give you all of what you need to be funny, witty and to get your point across without using words that offend people.  But sadly some would rather cling to the past - and I don't really get it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2018, 08:59:00 AM »
ZFB is right. You can't criticize Jay Bee for it then turn the same thing around on him. Especially in the same thread where it's been established as not a joke and not funny.

My attempts at hilarity fell with a thud. I will try to refrain from this particular brand of high comedy again.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2018, 08:59:44 AM »
Is “prick” insensitive to men? How about to non-males who identify as males?
Goodness, you're insecure.

Look, it really isn't hard.  All you had to do was say, "You know, you all are right.  I won't use that anymore" and we'd be done.  Simple.  But you decided to double down in the other direction.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #103 on: September 26, 2018, 09:08:22 AM »
  Point well taken reinko, BUT, many of us are honestly just finding out, in this ever evolving world, what is offensive, kinda offensive, used to cool but is now offensive, not yet offensive but probably will be soon, etc etc.  a lot of this depends on where you live, how you live, who one interacts with, etc.  nh is a great example and there are many more.  Is this an excuse?  Nope, and I’ll try to explain why-

As I believe it was topper who said it earlier, he(and I included) had never heard of the term before.  I am only in my 50’s and I interact with a large sample of our populace, and I’m still not sure where we as a society are at with regards to pc.  I remember a short some time ago, we had a discussion on the proper way to address the female gender(no offense to the lgbtq and whichever I missed communities) in say, the workplace-ladies, women, girls, ms., mrs. Etc.  thank God for name tags.  Another example for me is, the term racist.  sadly or not, it’s meaning has expanded immensely since I was a, ahem, young child. 

My point is, or maybe, or better yet, my question is, who sets the standards of when these words et.al. officially go into affect?  As I mentioned, this is an ever evolving societal issue.  One could wander into an area and get physically harmed at worst, or unfairly labeled at least for being ignorant of the “meaning” of certain words, phrases or even body language, mean mugging for example.  Yes there are the obvious ones, but I don’t listen to rap/ hip-hop or much of the new(“hip”) stuff today which is where a lot of the aforementioned, I believe, originates. 

I do think one can realize when another is either being a “gomer”( is that ok?) or being a redneck(ruh-roh). It’s ok to call someone out, in a polite way if it is ambiguous if one is being non p.c.  Until one knows for sure, this is where the feathers tend to unnecessarily fly. If someone should be truly offended by something, the author should be given a fair chance to expand upon what it was to be deemed offensive.  I believe most of us are fair minded.  I am honestly still learning some of this stuff, so I guess that would put me part way into the “gomer”category

Disclaimer-using my iPad, there may be a few wtf’s as I do tend to miss some of the auto-corrects.  It had reinko changed to reinforcements for example.

There will never be a list of words that shouldn't be used (god I hope so anyway) so it's always a little nuanced and why those who are offended also need to have some responsibility to determine if something said was intentional or said out of lack of knowledge or intent.

This is also why I'm very much against bans or other "punitive" actions against users of language that is offensive. If someone wants to let the N word fly or any other offensive language along the spectrum, that's their prerogative, I'm gonna tell them it's offensive and I'm going to log it as a note as a statement to that persons character and move on. Let folks self-identify and then you know from then on.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #104 on: September 26, 2018, 09:09:01 AM »
Pretty funny that we have a profanity filter on this website because, "Think of the children!", but we let things like nh go because... reasons?

Bring back the swearing I say, and stop the hypocrisy!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #105 on: September 26, 2018, 09:10:53 AM »
Whoops double post.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 09:16:42 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #106 on: September 26, 2018, 09:11:35 AM »
Rocket man makes great points. We are all still learning and language is always evolving. It's an extreme example but the N word was fine to say in most households less than 100 years ago. Our understanding has evolved and now most can't even bring themselves to say it. That's why focusing on the what rather than the who is so important. Call out specific action not a specific person.

It's also important to remember that we all say, do, and think biased/offensive/bigoted things every day. It's part of being human. So we are all going to make mistakes daily. Point is to try and do better, not be perfect.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 09:16:25 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #107 on: September 26, 2018, 09:46:39 AM »
This is all so sexually intercoursed up.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #108 on: September 26, 2018, 09:51:47 AM »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #109 on: September 26, 2018, 09:53:26 AM »
Louis CK..

I'm a white man. You can't even hurt my feelings! What can you really call a white man that really digs deep?

"Hey, cracker."

"Uh. Ruined my day. shouldn't have called me a cracker. Bringing me back to owning land and people, what a drag."

Says the guy that jerks off on himself in front of women.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2018, 09:59:08 AM »
U redi 4 NBA to start??

GOAT; role model

https://youtu.be/V2feJrZ-58E

https://youtu.be/kc_xd6JPTis

https://youtu.be/u_clTNBJepo

OK and?

For example, Hibbert's remarks were five years ago, he was fined, and he apologized.  Clearly the NBA understands some of this stuff. 

The real question is, why can't you five years later?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #111 on: September 26, 2018, 10:02:41 AM »
U redi 4 NBA to start??

GOAT; role model

My grandmother clung to using the N word until she died at 101 years of age.  Of course, she didn't go to school past 5th grade, so there's that.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2018, 10:09:28 AM »
You can do it, just know it's a reflection on you as an insensitive prick

I don't use that reference, but noticed MU82 did this weekend.  Didn't bother me, I was raised in a different era where we joked about a lot of things and people had senses of humor. That is lost now.   I ask the question really to understand what is allowed and isn't.  Becky is upsetting, therefore one must assume Queens is?  I only ask.  That would lead me to believe that any reference of any kind toward the opposite sex (e.g. he plays like a girl) or whatever is also off limits?

Seems to me Schmidt's Gay icon probably needs to go.  Herman Cain avatar needs to go.  This is going to become a sterile place, but if that is what people want.   :-X
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2018, 10:11:14 AM »
U redi 4 NBA to start??

GOAT; role model

I'm pretty sure the "but Johnny did it" excuse for bad behavior expires at around 5 years old.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2018, 10:12:06 AM »
Says the guy that jerks off on himself in front of women.

Whoa, whoa, easy with the dangling modifier there. 

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2018, 10:12:23 AM »

Good points.  I had no idea what (nh) was or meant. Learned something this week. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2018, 10:13:33 AM »

OK and?

For example, Hibbert's remarks were five years ago, he was fined, and he apologized.  Clearly the NBA understands some of this stuff. 

The real question is, why can't you five years later?

No, the NBA fined him Bc he also dropped the eff bomb and was rude to the media. Just like many of you should be fined!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2018, 10:13:39 AM »
I grew up with my father routinely dropping n's and commenting how well-spoken black people were.  I recognized at a young age (12-13, 1978-79) that this was embarrassing and resolved to be better than my father.  The only republican my grandmother ever voted for was McCain, because she couldn't vote for Obama because if his skin tone.  I think Obama's election is what killed her.  Going back another generation, her brothers, uncles and cousins were in the Klan.  I choose to not carry on certain family traditions.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2018, 10:14:32 AM »
This whole thread is pathetic.  I hope all the outraged are spending far more time and energy on things of actually importance.  Pathetic, spend ur time and energy on something that will make a difference in the world.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2018, 10:16:12 AM »
Norm (can I say Norm here?), bringin' major truth, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2018, 10:29:04 AM »
This whole thread is pathetic.  I hope all the outraged are spending far more time and energy on things of actually importance.  Pathetic, spend ur time and energy on something that will make a difference in the world.

Like complaining about other people on an anonymous forum? You must be one big difference maker!
Maigh Eo for Sam

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2018, 10:29:26 AM »
This is all so sexually intercoursed up.

First post that made me laugh in this whole thread.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #122 on: September 26, 2018, 10:30:25 AM »
Louis CK..

I'm a white man. You can't even hurt my feelings! What can you really call a white man that really digs deep?

"Hey, cracker."

"Uh. Ruined my day. shouldn't have called me a cracker. Bringing me back to owning land and people, what a drag."

I absolutely love this reference in THIS thread.

I try, just as a matter of course, not to offend people (other than one particular creep), but funny stuff is funny stuff.

Comedy and cruelty are distant cousins. A lot of comedy is based off of making fun of stereotypes, be they racial, sexual, or just jokes about your dad.

Of course it can be hard to differentiate between comedy and meanness on an internet forum. I have felt the effects of that many times here as I am sure have others. I have read many comments from posters that I thought were obviously meant to be funny and sarcastic only to read the next several pages attacking the poster.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #123 on: September 26, 2018, 10:35:42 AM »
I don't use that reference, but noticed MU82 did this weekend.

You do know that I was using it to mock BJ, right? And you do know that when a couple of our fellow Scoopers told me it was out of bounds, I owned up to it and said I would try to be better, right?

I mean, chicos always claimed he was the smartest man in the room, so if you didn't get the above maybe you really aren't chicos after all.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #124 on: September 26, 2018, 10:46:35 AM »

I absolutely love this reference in THIS thread.

I try, just as a matter of course, not to offend people (other than one particular creep), but funny stuff is funny stuff.

Comedy and cruelty are distant cousins. A lot of comedy is based off of making fun of stereotypes, be they racial, sexual, or just jokes about your dad.

Of course it can be hard to differentiate between comedy and meanness on an internet forum. I have felt the effects of that many times here as I am sure have others. I have read many comments from posters that I thought were obviously meant to be funny and sarcastic only to read the next several pages attacking the poster.

You can try to offend me all you want, but you've essentially just emphasized my earlier point. 

I know what you are.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.