[May 01, 2024, 07:53:32 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Soft teams with bad coaching..  (Read 6378 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Soft teams with bad coaching..
« on: November 23, 2018, 11:07:33 PM »
Don't win games when they're down late in the second half to a seasoned/good opposing coach

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Soft teams with bad coaching..
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 11:10:41 PM »
Don't win games when they're down late in the second half to a seasoned/good opposing coach
Sure wish we could refer to our coach as "seasoned/good"
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

CleanishProgram

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 11:12:58 PM »

Last year, (edit...this year, 2018) on Feb 24th, DePaul was soft and poorly coached and they beat us. Marquette was up by 5 at the half.

But then again I don't think Wojo is seasoned or good!!!

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 11:15:20 PM »
Last year, (edit...this year, 2018) on Feb 24th, DePaul was soft and poorly coached and they beat us. Marquette was up by 5 at the half.

But then again I don't think Wojo is seasoned or good!!!

DePaul is a lot of things. They definitely are not soft. That team played hard and physical all year last year.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 11:21:19 PM »

Louisville lost because of some horribly DUMB fouls 30 feet from the basket, and off the ball sending Markus, Joey and Sam to the line.  Gave us 6-8 pts on FT's down the stretch.  We were very fortunate to get to OT.

The first 38 mins were uninspired and ugly.  If everyone is willing to concede Chris Mack (seasoned/good coach) is head and shoulders above Wojo - then that's a problem.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 11:24:54 PM by 94Warrior »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 11:28:05 PM »
Louisville lost because of some horribly DUMB fouls 30 feet from the basket, and off the ball sending Markus, Joey and Sam to the line.  Gave us 6-8 pts on FT's down the stretch.  We were very fortunate to get to OT.

The first 38 mins were uninspired and ugly.  If everyone is willing to concede Chris Mack (seasoned/good coach) is head and shoulders above Wojo - then that's a problem.

So now we’ll discount wins because the other team didn’t put us away huh?

Eff it. None of Wojo’s wins count. M
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 11:31:23 PM »

Mack's teams play hard and give it all they got. We won tonight because that's the way we played too.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 12:17:32 AM »

This is a win we needed but not one we're saving on the DVR. If we play like this all year, it's going to be a long year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 12:25:20 AM »
This is a win we needed but not one we're saving on the DVR. If we play like this all year, it's going to be a long year.

On offense, yes. If this is our defense for the rest of the season I will be pretty happy provided they clean up the offensive boards.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 12:42:37 AM »

All of Wojo's wins count.  And, this one was critical to our post-season hopes.  I am extremely happy that we won.

However, that doesn't  mean I liked what I saw in the first 38 mins vs UL, 40 mins vs IU, or last 20 mins vs KU.  Many of us had lofty expectations from the day Chartouny committed.  Things aren't playing out quite like we had hoped - frustrating!  If we go 1-2 vs KSU, UW and Buffalo, things are going to get ugly around here.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 12:44:55 AM »
All of Wojo's wins count.  And, this one was critical to our post-season hopes.  I am extremely happy that we won.

However, that doesn't  mean I liked what I saw in the first 38 mins vs UL, 40 mins vs IU, or 20 mins vs KU.  Many of us had lofty expectations from the day Chartouny committed.  Things aren't playing out quite like we had hoped - frustrating!  If we go 1-2 vs KSU, UW and Buffalo, things are going to get ugly around here.

Take the win.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 12:47:06 AM »

Maybe.  Maybe not.  We just beat a team that was in a 2 point game at the under 8:00 timeout with Tennessee 2 nights ago.  Louisville is far from a pushover. 
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 12:52:17 AM »

However, that doesn't  mean I liked what I saw in the first 38 mins vs UL, 40 mins vs IU, or last 20 mins vs KU.  Many of us had lofty expectations from the day Chartouny committed.  Things aren't playing out quite like we had hoped - frustrating!  If we go 1-2 vs KSU, UW and Buffalo, things are going to get ugly around here.

Did you enjoy the defense? I did personally. The offense was frustrating but I at least appreciated that we weren't beating ourselves. Only 9 TOs despite the offensive struggles. And 2 of those were offensive fouls one of which was especially fishy to me.
TAMU

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 01:11:36 AM »
Did you enjoy the defense? I did personally. The offense was frustrating but I at least appreciated that we weren't beating ourselves. Only 9 TOs despite the offensive struggles. And 2 of those were offensive fouls one of which was especially fishy to me.

You're right on this. We forced Louisville to beat us, and when they couldn't, we took advantage and came away with the W.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2018, 08:06:14 AM »

My only frustration with the defense last night was not securing rebounds. Joey needs to get stronger grabbing the ball. Other than that though, it feels like a much better defensive team relative to the rest of the Wojo era.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2018, 08:13:36 AM »

So, if Louisville lost to a soft, uninspired team due to it's own incompetence and dumb play ... what's that say about Chris Mack?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2018, 08:16:03 AM »
My only frustration with the defense last night was not securing rebounds. Joey needs to get stronger grabbing the ball. Other than that though, it feels like a much better defensive team relative to the rest of the Wojo era.
Joey had butterfingers for part of the night.         Soft teams with bad coaching lose 19 point first half leads.      What a crock of crap.      There are a lot of teams out there with talent.    There was a lot of fascinating games yesterday.     For those who watch basketball other than Marquette, surely you recognize that MU is not the only team out there that struggles at times.     For teams good enough to have a fanbase that cares, all but a couple have to have the exact same gripes.    Probably not Kansas or Gonzaga.    But I am sure there is an angry subset of Duke fans that think losing to Gonzaga is proof that K is an idiot.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2018, 08:36:41 AM »
We had angry fans in 1977 regular season when many thought it was good Al was retiring because Hank was the real coach anyway and Al was getting in the way. Seriously, people thought that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2018, 08:39:34 AM »

Yes. Though I will see that we at least made up for it a little bit by grabbing double digit offensive boards ourselves. I know some were impressed by Ed last night but I wasn't as much. This is why Wojo went and got him, to make sure we don't get destroyed on the offensive glass. He only had 2 rebounds I believe in a game where we needed him to have more.
TAMU

fjm

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2018, 08:42:37 AM »
Can someone toss us (me) the Kenton D rankings for us at this point?

(Having played top 50 UL, #2 Kansas and almost top 25 IU) I’ve got to assume we now have a pretty solid idea for our teams D.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2018, 08:46:25 AM »
Yes. Though I will see that we at least made up for it a little bit by grabbing double digit offensive boards ourselves. I know some were impressed by Ed last night but I wasn't as much. This is why Wojo went and got him, to make sure we don't get destroyed on the offensive glass. He only had 2 rebounds I believe in a game where we needed him to have more.
I’m happy Morrow showed signs of life, hoping he gets settled in because it was ugly before last night.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2018, 08:47:28 AM »
I’m happy Morrow showed signs of life, hoping he gets settled in because it was ugly before last night.

Still think it is reasonable that Ed and JC will both turn out just fine ala all our recent transfers.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2018, 08:51:34 AM »
Still think it is reasonable that Ed and JC will both turn out just fine ala all our recent transfers.

Yeah, I can see it.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2018, 08:52:48 AM »
Absolutely.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2018, 09:17:19 AM »
Can someone toss us (me) the Kenton D rankings for us at this point?

(Having played top 50 UL, #2 Kansas and almost top 25 IU) I’ve got to assume we now have a pretty solid idea for our teams D.

57th in overall defense. 28th in eFG% defense.

feedback