[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Are you feeling better about MU's loss?  (Read 9736 times)

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
Re: Are you feeling better about MU's loss?
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2017, 05:01:04 PM »

So you think the tournament should only have eight teams?
Only if those 8 teams pass an arbitrary 'brand' test for their basketball traditions.

I do feel better about loosing to a team that is very hot at the right time versus loose to a team that then gets steamrolled.  I'm not a fan of So Car or Oregon, and i like Gonzaga only because of the similarities between institutions, but it is most definitely good for the sport that new blood makes it to the final four - it adds to the mystique of the tournament.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2017, 05:04:56 PM »

Why stop at the Tournament? Clearly the only teams worthy of competing for a National Championship are Marquette for their dominance in 40 years ago, Indiana for theirs 20 year ago, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, UCLA, and Louisville. Why waste anybody else's time? Just drop all basketball except for those teams. Allowing any other program to compet with them is an embarrassment to the game of basketball.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2017, 05:07:28 PM »
Absolutely not...nothing should ever make you feel "good" or "better" about a loss. Personally to me, having a team like USC in the Final Four is a joke really..Are we really to believe they are one of the top 4 teams in the country?? I mean the possibility exists that we could have an Oregon(though I think/hope UNC puts that to rest) USC National Championship..that's quite honestly...disgusting. Who wants to see that National Championship??
Time to switch to decaf.  The tourney is the most democratic of championships.  Anybody making the final four earns and deserves it.   The absolute opposite of disgusting.  By your definition, Villanova winning it last year was a travesty.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2017, 05:19:08 PM »
Absolutely not...nothing should ever make you feel "good" or "better" about a loss. Personally to me, having a team like USC in the Final Four is a joke really..Are we really to believe they are one of the top 4 teams in the country?? I mean the possibility exists that we could have an Oregon(though I think/hope UNC puts that to rest) USC National Championship..that's quite honestly...disgusting. Who wants to see that National Championship??
Two of the most likable teams in the entire tourney. What have you been watching? Oh, and they've both EARNED their trip to the FF
No Finish Line

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2017, 05:20:20 PM »
It makes me wonder if MU played the 2nd half like they did in the 1st, could we be talking about our final four run right now? I stated at the start Marquette beats Duke, and watching SC only makes me believe that more.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2017, 05:22:25 PM »
It makes me wonder if MU played the 2nd half like they did in the 1st, could we be talking about our final four run right now? I stated at the start Marquette beats Duke, and watching SC only makes me believe that more.

That was my first thought when SC beat Duke, but I don't think our offense could have overcame our defense 4 games in a row. Much less enough to beat Duke. Granted, SC probably could have said the same about their offense before playing us, and their offense came around.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2017, 05:23:26 PM »

I would fully endorse only allowing champions into the tournament. Add a league, have the 32 conference champs get bids and an exemption from their conference tournament. The non conference champs play a tournament and the 32 winners also get bids. Seeds are given to leagues instead of teams, so each team goes into their league slot.

Then the NIT gets the 32 best at-large teams regardless of conference. It would create two viable, meaningful tournaments. But the NCAA wants 9 ACC teams, and 6 Big 10 teams, and so on. It'll never happen, but honestly, I think it'd be more fun and make March even better.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2017, 05:23:30 PM »
Those are some serious homer glasses you're looking through. Marquette was a one trick pony. They didn't come close to having the pieces needed for a deep tourney run.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 05:25:30 PM by NickelDimer »
No Finish Line

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2017, 05:25:56 PM »
I would fully endorse only allowing champions into the tournament. Add a league, have the 32 conference champs get bids and an exemption from their conference tournament. The non conference champs play a tournament and the 32 winners also get bids. Seeds are given to leagues instead of teams, so each team goes into their league slot.

Then the NIT gets the 32 best at-large teams regardless of conference. It would create two viable, meaningful tournaments. But the NCAA wants 9 ACC teams, and 6 Big 10 teams, and so on. It'll never happen, but honestly, I think it'd be more fun and make March even better.
why not seed the top 4 teams and have a triple elimination tourney?  Wel, no one would watch that either.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2017, 05:27:13 PM »
Delighted to see South Carolina do well. I hope they win it all.   Makes our loss sting a little less.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2017, 05:27:34 PM »

Ehh I dont like that at all. Watching 2 Horizon, Ivy league, and American league teams get hammered when they shouldn't be anywhere near the big dogs while also watching Duke in the NIT because UNC won the regular season and they lost in the finals of the conference tournament doesn't seem like a very competitive way of doing the NCAA tournament.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2017, 05:28:38 PM »
Those are some serious homer glasses you're looking through. Marquette was a one trick pony. They didn't come close to having the pieces needed for a deep tourney run.

Agree,  we overachieved, but our weaknesses would have been exposed.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2017, 05:29:32 PM »

That's enough out of you for a while
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

muguru

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2017, 05:40:51 PM »
No, I don't want only 8 teams in the tourney, but I don't want 3 teams in the final Four that have essentially never been their either. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the tourney more than anything else, and I LOVE when the underdog pulls an upset or two, that's what makes it more fun...but after that, they need to bow out. You really think the ratings for a Oregon-USC National Championship would be very good?? Hell no. North Carolina is the most talented team in the country...talent should win out. They may still/should win it all, which would make everything right in the world again, but c'mon, you people could REALLY like USC/Oregon/Gonzaga in the national championship?? One of them could be holding the trophy at the end of the year as the "best" team in the country?? No. that's not the way it's supposed to work.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2017, 05:44:10 PM »
No, I don't want only 8 teams in the tourney, but I don't want 3 teams in the final Four that have essentially never been their either. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the tourney more than anything else, and I LOVE when the underdog pulls an upset or two, that's what makes it more fun...but after that, they need to bow out. You really think the ratings for a Oregon-USC National Championship would be very good?? Hell no. North Carolina is the most talented team in the country...talent should win out. They may still/should win it all, which would make everything right in the world again, but c'mon, you people could REALLY like USC/Oregon/Gonzaga in the national championship?? One of them could be holding the trophy at the end of the year as the "best" team in the country?? No. that's not the way it's supposed to work.
Lol are you for real by your logic MU should not had won it in '77
Goal is National Championship

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2017, 05:51:05 PM »

I LOVE my children, but only if they do exactly what I tell them to do at all times.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2017, 05:58:38 PM »
Actually, that's exactly the way the NCAA tournament is supposed to work.

I can't believe you are on a chat board in the middle of the last game between blue bloods you'll see this year.  PAY ATTENTION MAN!  This is the real national championship -  -  -  don't miss it.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2017, 06:02:53 PM »
Yes , it makes me fell better. However, if makes me think we were really unlucky in who got with our first round matchup.

When they won today it made me wonder how many of our NCAA tournament losses were to a final four team?
We lost ot Purdue for a chance to go to final four.
We lost to NC St and Kansas in final four.
We lost to Syracuse for a chance to go to final four.
We lost to DePaul and they may of went to final four.
I not sure if the year we lost to Michigan St that they made the final four, but they were getting there pretty often.
We lost to Indiana in their undefeated season.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2017, 06:28:26 PM »

So Marquette should never make another Final Four? Just get a few wins and then bow out?

Why would you want to watch the same teams win the tournament every year? To each their own but I love seeing the blue bloods fall to "lesser" programs in the tournament. Its what makes it the greatest tournament in all of sports. Any team can beat any team at any given moment. And when the underdog does it, that's it. They move on. There's no best of 7 series. No do overs. It is the biggest...dare I say...crapshoot in all of sport postseasons.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2017, 06:32:12 PM »
I didn't feel that "bad" about the loss in the first place. Sucked for about 5 minutes but in that time I managed to meet up with friends at a bar for St. Patty's day. Had a great rest of the night. Honestly, South Carolina's run doesn't really do anything for Marquette. No one besides us bozos will remember who South Carolina's first round opponent was. After my bracket was busted, I was pulling for South Carolina just because they had just ended like a 13 year tournament drought. Nice to see a team come out of nowhere like that.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2017, 06:48:45 PM »

You're entitled to your opinion, as absurd as it may be, so if you want to only see the UNCs and Kentuckys of the world ever make a National Title then more power to you.  You will be suffering just about every single year in March.

Having said that, you obviously haven't watched Oregon play this year.  Not only do they play a very fun style of play, but they are quite clearly one of the top teams in the country and have been all season long.  In a conference with 3 top 7 teams, they won the regular season title (tied with Arizona but had the head to head tiebreak) and then lost in the tournament finals in a great game against Arizona less than 24 hours after losing a key piece of their rotation to a torn ACL.  Other than a rocky start with their star player out due to injury to start the season, they have been in the top 10 all year long.  They have gone 31-3 since Brooks has returned.  The absolute only reason they are a 3 seed is because of the Boucher injury, which they have clearly adjusted to.  Otherwise they probably beat Arizona and maybe steal Gonzaga's one seed.  They absolutely deserve to be where they are.  They just lead by double digits for about 21 minutes of their game against a team that was ranked in the top 4 throughout the entire year.

In terms of talent Brooks, Bell, Dorsey, Ennis, Pritchard, and Benson can absolutely match up with Pinson, Barry, Meeks, Hicks, Jackson, and Bradley.  UNC's size will be a problem so my guess is they win, but it's beyond absurd to say that Oregon doesn't have talent.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2017, 06:50:00 PM »

I think all of us on MUScoop have a poster or two that we NEVER seem to agree with and muguru is definitely mine.  Just about every time I see an muguru post, I literally say huh? and am completely confused as to how someone can think the way they do.  To each his own, but definitely such a vastly different way of not only looking at college basketball, but the world in general based on the way their thought process works. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2017, 06:50:49 PM »
So Marquette should never make another Final Four? Just get a few wins and then bow out?

Why would you want to watch the same teams win the tournament every year? To each their own but I love seeing the blue bloods fall to "lesser" programs in the tournament. Its what makes it the greatest tournament in all of sports. Any team can beat any team at any given moment. And when the underdog does it, that's it. They move on. There's no best of 7 series. No do overs. It is the biggest...dare I say...crapshoot in all of sport postseasons.

No...What i want is MU to get to the point where they are legit FF contenders on a fairly regular basis. I want them to become elite.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2017, 06:58:38 PM »
No...What i want is MU to get to the point where they are legit FF contenders on a fairly regular basis. I want them to become elite.

Yeah, but no one will watch.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2017, 07:02:11 PM »
You're entitled to your opinion, as absurd as it may be, so if you want to only see the UNCs and Kentuckys of the world ever make a National Title then more power to you.  You will be suffering just about every single year in March.

Having said that, you obviously haven't watched Oregon play this year.  Not only do they play a very fun style of play, but they are quite clearly one of the top teams in the country and have been all season long.  In a conference with 3 top 7 teams, they won the regular season title (tied with Arizona but had the head to head tiebreak) and then lost in the tournament finals in a great game against Arizona less than 24 hours after losing a key piece of their rotation to a torn ACL.  Other than a rocky start with their star player out due to injury to start the season, they have been in the top 10 all year long.  They have gone 31-3 since Brooks has returned.  The absolute only reason they are a 3 seed is because of the Boucher injury, which they have clearly adjusted to.  Otherwise they probably beat Arizona and maybe steal Gonzaga's one seed.  They absolutely deserve to be where they are.  They just lead by double digits for about 21 minutes of their game against a team that was ranked in the top 4 throughout the entire year.

In terms of talent Brooks, Bell, Dorsey, Ennis, Pritchard, and Benson can absolutely match up with Pinson, Barry, Meeks, Hicks, Jackson, and Bradley.  UNC's size will be a problem so my guess is they win, but it's beyond absurd to say that Oregon doesn't have talent.

I never said Oregon isn't talented, they are, but my point was, they still haven't been to a FF since 1939. I do also like the way they play, but are they more talented then Kansas?? I don't think so..but that's my point, in a tournament setting, if you catch a top team on an off shooting night and you are hitting, odds are you will advance. That's what Oregon did, and kudos to them. But if Oregon and Kansas played 10 times, Kansas probably wins at least 7 of them.

That's my biggest issue with the tourney as a whole, too many people judge a team(s) based on how far they go in the tournament, and casual fans(and even some so called hardcore fans) think that because a team makes the final four, they MUST be one of the most talented, best teams in the country, when in reality it's the opposite..they got hot at the right time, had a good draw etc. It's such a crapshoot and should NEVER be used as a barometer for how good an underdog really is.

I mean in S. Carolina's case, there were some people down the stretch that felt that if everything fell right, they could have actually been left out this year. Look at Syracuse last year...should have never been in the tourney at all, yet made the FF. was that okay?? That's not the way it's supposed to be. I don't need all blue bloods in the FF every year, far from it..Look at Nova...#1 overall seed, gets a crap matchup with UW in Round two and don't even make the sweet 16..none of us liked that, did we?? Is S. Carolina more talented then Nova?? Absolutely not...heck is UW more talented then Nova?? Nope..Yet Nova was home after the first weekend, and UW just got done playing.