[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Are you feeling better about MU's loss?  (Read 9735 times)

tower912

• All American
Are you feeling better about MU's loss?
« on: March 26, 2017, 03:48:40 PM »
Nobody else can survive SC's defensive pressure, either.  Everybody else looks soft, too.  SC gets touched, foul.  SC bumps and hacks, good defense.  Relentless to the basket, relentless on defense, being rewarded for their aggression.  Eventually, they break their opponent's will.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Are you feeling better about MU's loss?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 03:50:29 PM »
Nope. But that might just be me. I take no solace in how far our conquerers go, I'm just focused on what we do.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 03:51:16 PM »
No. Never been one to buy into the whole, "the team we lost to went on a run" mindset.

But I never really felt bad about the loss. We had an okay team that struggled mightily against the physical type of teams they are. It was never a good matchup, even if they played how they had been going into the Tournament. Add to it we were playing them in South Carolina and it makes it even tougher.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 03:52:39 PM »
Sounds like a description of Al's teams. Marquette's tradition is stifling defense. Sadly, we have lost that reputation.

Death on call

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 03:54:04 PM »
Just proves how good a team SC is and that defense wins a lot of tough games.  Hope MU ramps up its D to this level sometme soon. 

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 03:57:04 PM »
Yes.  I think I took their slumping at the end of their regular season as a sign of weakness. Any team Frank Martin coaches is going to be tough - look at his KState teams (minus a scrimmage).  I underestimated them and perhaps voters and the selection committee did too.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 03:58:24 PM »
Sounds like a description of Al's teams. Marquette's tradition is stifling defense. Sadly, we have lost that reputation.

Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 04:01:24 PM »
I never felt that bad about MU's loss, either.  I think MU will have the pieces to be tougher next year.  Not SC tough, but tougher than MU was in 16-17.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 04:01:43 PM »
68 go in. Only one comes out and the gamecocks could be the 79th winner of Americas Hunger Games.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 04:03:18 PM »
Thornwell and Dozier are NBA prospects and have a good complement with Silva and the Europe kid Kotsar on the boards and in the paint. Felder and Polite are very good defenders also.  They play well as a team and coming together at just the right time.

Very impressed with play of Silva, who was a three star recruit out of high school and has progressed to a major component of the team.  Wish Heldt, a three star, could progress in that fashion. 

Good game.

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 04:03:35 PM »
I certainly don't feel worse. I'm very happy to see South Carolina make a deep run, and beat some very good teams along the way.

Having Duke, Baylor and Florida lose doesn't all of a sudden make our season more successful. But that's not terrible company to be in either. I feel much better than I would have if they would have gotten routed by Duke..

It could just be because I'm in an office with about 4 guys who went to Baylor. But they made the sweet 16, was the #1 team in the country at one point this season; played South Carolina on a neutral site, and got steamrolled from the tip.

Sometimes teams get hot. South Carolina is playing with confidence right now. Tip your cap.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 04:04:00 PM »
I expected our first round opponent to get destroyed in their next game and they ended up being good enough to get to the Final Four.  It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but o course I feel a little better.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 04:08:18 PM »
I expected our first round opponent to get destroyed in their next game and they ended up being good enough to get to the Final Four.  It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but o course I feel a little better.

+1 exactly.

I watched and was rooting for them.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 04:12:06 PM »

Yep.  Agreed.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 04:23:39 PM »
Bittersweet.

On one hand, it makes MU's loss more and more tolerable.

On the other hand, it seems more and more like a lost opportunity.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 04:24:10 PM »
Defense wins.  Hopefully the folks on 12th street are paying attention.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2017, 04:24:32 PM »

Indeed.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2017, 04:25:48 PM »

Well what's funny about that is South Carolina didn't start winning until their offense came around...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2017, 04:26:53 PM »
Well what's funny about that is South Carolina didn't start winning until their offense came around...

Exactly.  You need balance.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2017, 04:27:09 PM »
Bittersweet.

On one hand, it makes MU's loss more and more tolerable.

On the other hand, it seems more and more like a lost opportunity.

I don't think I'm with you on this hand.  South Carolina matches up with these other teams way differently than we would have.  So yes it makes our loss more tolerable but in no way does it add to my "what could have been" sensation.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2017, 04:36:56 PM »

Actually, on average, the national champion is better on offense than they are on defense.

However, most are quite good at both offense and defense.

So, defense doesn't "win"... but a crappy defense or crappy offense puts your team in a difficult spot relative to being GREAT
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 05:05:58 PM by Jay Bee »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2017, 04:39:31 PM »
Absolutely not...nothing should ever make you feel "good" or "better" about a loss. Personally to me, having a team like USC in the Final Four is a joke really..Are we really to believe they are one of the top 4 teams in the country?? I mean the possibility exists that we could have an Oregon(though I think/hope UNC puts that to rest) USC National Championship..that's quite honestly...disgusting. Who wants to see that National Championship??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2017, 04:44:00 PM »
Absolutely not...nothing should ever make you feel "good" or "better" about a loss. Personally to me, having a team like USC in the Final Four is a joke really..Are we really to believe they are one of the top 4 teams in the country?? I mean the possibility exists that we could have an Oregon(though I think/hope UNC puts that to rest) USC National Championship..that's quite honestly...disgusting. Who wants to see that National Championship??

So you think the tournament should only have eight teams?

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 04:45:36 PM »
Somewhat, yes.
South Carolina has shown that they are very tough to beat in this tournament. Way better than if Duke had handed them a 20 point loss.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2017, 04:58:51 PM »
Actually, on average, the national champion is better on offense than they are on offense.

However, most are quite good at both offense and defense.

So, defense doesn't "win"... but a crappy defense or crappy offense puts your team in a difficult spot relative to being GREAT

National champions are, on average, better on offense than they are on offense?

#mindblown