[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MU82
[Today at 12:54:04 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Favre to retire  (Read 14872 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Favre to retire
« on: March 04, 2008, 08:45:01 AM »
That is all.

🏀

• All American
Re: Favre to retire
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 08:56:39 AM »
Wow, and the rebuilding begins.

reesiecup210

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 09:10:53 AM »
Wouldn't exactly call a team coming off of an NFC Championship appearance and with a more than capable QB taking over "rebuilding".

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 09:10:59 AM »
I wonder what the over/under is on the local TV stations blabbing on about  this announcement.   All 4 local stations have been breathlessly reporting.   I'm gonna go with .. they do a solid 14 hours straight until 11pm.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 09:13:48 AM »
Wouldn't exactly call a team coming off of an NFC Championship appearance and with a more than capable QB taking over "rebuilding".

Trust me. Rodgers will not lead this team very far.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 09:14:54 AM »
I wonder what the over/under is on the local TV stations blabbing on about  this announcement.   All 4 local stations have been breathlessly reporting.   I'm gonna go with .. they do a solid 14 hours straight until 11pm.

I think you're under....it will be 2 months of coverage

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 09:16:39 AM »

If you think it's bad here in Milwaukee, spend a day or two watching TV news in Green Bay.  Those stations will be reporting on this wall to wall longer than they did after JFK was assassinated. 
Ludum habemus.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 09:24:13 AM »

Agreed. He's got a record of staying healthy that's on par with Ben Sheets. I'm not comfortable with that.

reesiecup210

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 09:26:44 AM »

Agreed. He's got a record of staying healthy that's on par with Ben Sheets. I'm not comfortable with that.
You're right guys, I'd much rather go with the Rex Grossman/Kyle Orton wonder team. Minus Berrian and Muhammad. Awesome.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 09:31:39 AM »

You're right guys, I'd much rather go with the Rex Grossman/Kyle Orton wonder team. Minus Berrian and Muhammad. Awesome.

Agreed.  The Packers will still be the favorites to win that division.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 09:36:12 AM »
The Packers will be fine in that division and probably in the NFC.  Guys can't play forever....glad Favre went out with a good season because the two prior to that had me wondering why he didn't hang it up a lot sooner.

Just broke the news to my son, diehard Pack fan.  These are tough days for any fan, especially the younger ones.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 09:41:56 AM »
Fortunately, the NFC North will allow the Pack to stay competitive.

HelixAir6

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 09:42:40 AM »

Hey, the bears are still looking for a third QB!  haha, imagine that!  although the way he played his last game at soldier, I wouldn't want to see that again, on either side of the ball.  You know he would beat out Rex and Orton though!

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 09:55:24 AM »
I live in Chicago, but am one of the rare breed that actually root for the Packers when they advance into the playoffs. I thought the Packers/Seahawks game was one of the best games I saw all year, and a lot was due to the joy Favre plays with.
But if its true that Favre made this decision b/c he didn't think the Packers wanted him b/c they didn't sign Randy Moss, then good riddance.  If it turns out that Favre made an ultimatum - either sign Moss or I'll retire - then his legacy is forever tarnished, in my mind at least.  
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 10:05:14 AM »
As of today, March 4th, 2008, if you'd rather have Aaron Rodgers as your QB instead of Rex Grossman, you are insane.

Everything else being the same, Grossman is light years ahead of Rodgers.

ecompt

• All American
OT: Brett Favre retiring
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 10:06:35 AM »
sad day. He was an all-time great.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2008, 10:35:51 AM »
As a long time Brett fan, I find it hard to believe that he gave the packers some sort of ultimatum and carried through with it. My guess is that his original plan was to retire and IF the Packers were able to sign Moss, he would come back for a final season (just to see what he and Moss could do together). Since that didn't happen, he followed through with his original decision.

Thanks Brett for 17 amazing seasons of triumph and heartbreak. You made football matter once again in Wisconsin and we thank you for everything you've done.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2008, 10:35:59 AM »
As of today, March 4th, 2008, if you'd rather have Aaron Rodgers as your QB instead of Rex Grossman, you are insane.

Really? Light years? Really? Judging from your avatar, you're clearly a Bears fan, meaning you've had the "pleasure" of watching Grossman for the last couple seasons. Light years? Really? REALLY? The Pack will win the division again. Rodgers will be very good in this league. Quote me on that.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 10:40:48 AM »
it's been one hell of a ride Brett, I can hardly remember Packer games without you.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 10:41:07 AM »

False.  Take a look at the other QBs who played under Favre and never had the experience of an NFL start.  Mark Brunell, Aaron Brooks, Matt Hasselbeck...

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2008, 10:47:58 AM »
Brady Quinn to GB???

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2008, 10:52:10 AM »
I understand you drink the Packers Kool Aid and I drink the Bears Kool Aid, but yes, as of today, Grossman is a far better QB than Rodgers.

I will quote you on Rodgers, but as I stated..."as of today", Grossman is a far better QB than Rodgers. It's a fact, period. If the Packers were offered Grossman straight up for Rodgers, Thompson would make that deal in a heartbeat. He couldn't get off the phone fast enough.

They're not building a wing in Canton for Grossman, don't get me wrong. But, please give me the body of work that Rodgers has over Grossman.

The thing is...you can't.

shafted20

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2008, 11:11:18 AM »
Did anyone not see how well Rodgers did against a stellar team in the Cowboys this past season when Brett was hurt??? He brought them back into a game that Brett had dug into a hole. Packer nation will be fine with Rodgers under the helm. Rodgers was trained well at Cal and under one of the best quarterbacks to ever play the game!

Thanks Brett for the memories and being a class act quarterback!!
Beer is the cause and solution to all of life's problems. ~Homer Simpson

wheresthecake?

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2008, 11:25:11 AM »
After never watching a Packers game without Brett, this will probably not even become reality to me until A-Rod goes under center for the first snap next year.  Unbelievable.  Can't wait for the tear-jerking Brett Favre montages from ESPN.  What more can one say than: THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES, BRETT!

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2008, 12:00:36 PM »
I understand you drink the Packers Kool Aid and I drink the Bears Kool Aid, but yes, as of today, Grossman is a far better QB than Rodgers.

I will quote you on Rodgers, but as I stated..."as of today", Grossman is a far better QB than Rodgers. It's a fact, period. If the Packers were offered Grossman straight up for Rodgers, Thompson would make that deal in a heartbeat. He couldn't get off the phone fast enough.

They're not building a wing in Canton for Grossman, don't get me wrong. But, please give me the body of work that Rodgers has over Grossman.

The thing is...you can't.

Fair enough. I'll say that Grossman is obviously more experienced. Not convinced he's better.