collapse

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marcus Smart Shoves A Fan  (Read 14352 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Marcus Smart Shoves A Fan
« on: February 09, 2014, 10:27:23 AM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10426105/marcus-smart-oklahoma-state-cowboys-shoves-fan

Smart claims the fan used a racial slur.  Does that excuse shoving a fan?

I expect a multi-game suspension.

Thoughts?

MarquetteDano

• All American
Re: Marcus Smart Shoves A Fan
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 10:31:33 AM »
A lot of postings about this fan on You Tube.  Seems to be the kind of middle aged guy who likes yelling at young kids.

For this reason alone I side with Smart.  Though he needs to better control his temper.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 10:49:42 AM »
'Go back to Africa' is the Twittertracka story.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 10:52:52 AM »
Knowing his past, the fan deserved it. 

This will cause another Richard Sherman-like discussion about race in sports.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 10:56:44 AM »
Nevermind...foiled by a fake Twitter account.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:00:29 AM by The Sultan of Serenity »

EnderWiggen

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 11:12:32 AM »
Both need to be punished, imo.  If i was Texas Tech, I wouldn't want this fan representing my university if he indeed did yell racial slurs.  Take his tickets away.  That said, Smart, no matter how provoked, shouldn't be shoving anyone and needs to be suspended. 

Eye

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 11:46:51 AM »
Agreed on both counts. A handful of games for Smart sends the message that you can't have players shoving fans, regardless of the alleged deplorable circumstances. And if the allegations are proven to be true, that guy shouldn't be allowed to attend an NC2A sporting event ever again.
GO WARRIORS!

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 12:01:23 PM »
Rumors have it that this is the fan in question.  If so, like I said, I side with Smart....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0NdJahHN0w#t=00m08s

You see it best at the 31 second mark.

brandx

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 12:02:55 PM »
I commend Marcus Smart.

Doesn't this Orr guy have kids at home that he can verbally abuse?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 12:08:22 PM »
Twitter has become the modern-day equivalent of the telephone game.

http://deadspin.com/go-back-to-africa-twitter-rumor-becomes-marcus-smart-1519336610

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 12:22:37 PM »
Ya know, if athletes, professional and collegiate, were allowed to deck, I mean just frickin cold cock and lay out, without punishment, one fan a year that got on their nerves, it would go a long way to restoring civility to our ballparks and arenas.   Each athlete.    A few hundred fans get leveled, stupid stuff stops getting yelled.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 12:30:14 PM »
Ya know, if athletes, professional and collegiate, were allowed to deck, I mean just frickin cold cock and lay out, without punishment, one fan a year that got on their nerves, it would go a long way to restoring civility to our ballparks and arenas.   Each athlete.    A few hundred fans get leveled, stupid stuff stops getting yelled.   
someone got Tower's password.  He would never say anything this stupid.

brandx

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 12:33:29 PM »
someone got Tower's password.  He would never say anything this stupid.

I don't know - some people use that argument for guns all the time

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 12:38:22 PM »
I said it.   We say stupid stuff.   Fans at games say stupid stuff.    People talk about accountability.   Give the athlete a chance to look the heckler in the eye and give him the option to retaliate if the heckler crosses whatever the line is.   It will never happen, of course, but if the person I was yelling stupid stuff had the right to just deck me, perhaps I would be a trifle more restrained in what I yell. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 12:43:22 PM »
Both need to be punished, imo.  If i was Texas Tech, I wouldn't want this fan representing my university if he indeed did yell racial slurs.  Take his tickets away.  That said, Smart, no matter how provoked, shouldn't be shoving anyone and needs to be suspended. 

Agreed.  Two wrongs never make a right.  Punish both.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 12:47:08 PM »
We go to these contests to be entertained by the athleticism and energy of the athletes not to be disturbed by loud, obnoxious fans. That's why I never go to games when teams are playing opponents from Boston.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 12:49:21 PM »
I said it.   We say stupid stuff.   Fans at games say stupid stuff.    People talk about accountability.   Give the athlete a chance to look the heckler in the eye and give him the option to retaliate if the heckler crosses whatever the line is.   It will never happen, of course, but if the person I was yelling stupid stuff had the right to just deck me, perhaps I would be a trifle more restrained in what I yell. 

Why give athletes this special privilege? Maybe we should all have a free pass to deck anyone who annoys us once a year.

By the way, what's the line? If I yell "That call sucks," can Jim Burr take a swing at me? Can I swing back? Will said swing be conducted contemporaneously to the offending statement, or will Jim and I have to appear before a panel to determine whether my insult was punch-worthy?
Who's the arbiter on these things?
Sounds like another wasteful government program to me.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 12:51:15 PM »
Would have been better if he punched the guy's bitch. Lubbock is an epicenter of white power. No shock this happened in their arena.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 12:59:47 PM »
Why give athletes this special privilege? Maybe we should all have a free pass to deck anyone who annoys us once a year.

By the way, what's the line? If I yell "That call sucks," can Jim Burr take a swing at me? Can I swing back? Will said swing be conducted contemporaneously to the offending statement, or will Jim and I have to appear before a panel to determine whether my insult was punch-worthy?
Who's the arbiter on these things?
Sounds like another wasteful government program to me.

I don't mind if anyone disagrees with me.  Clearly, it will never happen and never should.   I just find myself increasingly disgusted with fans with a false sense of entitlement, both at games and on message boards.  Bringing it back to MU, our players have family who read message boards and have to listen to ignorant fans yell ignorant things.    And while congress may not pass a law restricting free speech, if stupid, possibly racist,  speech had more immediate repercussions, perhaps it would be curtailed.   

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 01:11:58 PM »
And while congress may not pass a law restricting free speech, if stupid, possibly racist,  speech had more immediate repercussions, perhaps it would be curtailed.   

Great.
Now, who does Tower put in charge of determining what qualifies as "stupid" speech and what repercussions are appropriate.

Call me crazy, but I'm a little leery of suggesting it's a good idea to physically assault others for saying things we don't like.
Sticks and stone, y'all.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 01:15:15 PM »
Middle-aged guy sitting courtside for a big game? Probably/possibly a donor or important figure in some way in regards to TTU. I'd assume, under those circumstances, if anything happened to the guy, it'd be a slap on the wrist

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 01:19:00 PM »
Middle-aged guy sitting courtside for a big game? Probably/possibly a donor or important figure in some way in regards to TTU. I'd assume, under those circumstances, if anything happened to the guy, it'd be a slap on the wrist

Lots o money in Texas waiting in line to take this guys place.  If he did wrong, he goes down.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 01:28:16 PM »
Bilas with one of the more level-headed responses I've heard: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10426109

Also, watching the video a couple times, I love how the lady next to the guy (his wife?) erupts when Smart pushes the guy, yet 99.9% chance she heard what was said. So, glad she condones her husband's(?) comments.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2014, 01:35:05 PM »
Bilas with one of the more level-headed responses I've heard: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10426109

Also, watching the video a couple times, I love how the lady next to the guy (his wife?) erupts when Smart pushes the guy, yet 99.9% chance she heard what was said. So, glad she condones her husband's(?) comments.

I have no idea what he said. Do you?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 01:49:50 PM »

He's their "Number One Fan"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Eoa1Ko_lxE

feedback