[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129371 times)

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #10650 on: August 01, 2021, 09:27:06 PM »
I have had several in depth conversations with patients. Not certain if I've been successful or not. Honestly, in my experience, the African-American population is by far the most skeptical and untrusting group I run across and $100 isn't going to change minds. In short, non-compliant conservatives simply don't believe any of the imposed measures are necessary and are willing to take their chances. Liberals run the spectrum from compliance to unhinged covid crazies.

Who are the talking heads that are anti vax?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Roshan_Rinaldi/status/1421933417135022082

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10651 on: August 01, 2021, 09:32:34 PM »
Phil Valentine dead yet?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10652 on: August 01, 2021, 09:59:39 PM »
Again obvious...continued reliance on government as restrictions and monetary handouts are not only continued, but also increased. All in the name of covid, the gift that keeps on giving, hey?

What handouts are being continued/increased in the name of Covid?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #10653 on: August 02, 2021, 06:35:03 AM »
Move to a conservative state and you'll find that is not the case. In some deep red states people secretly get the vaccine and then lie to friends/family saying they haven't because they will be damn near disowned. Places where getting kicked out of a store for refusing to wear a mask gets your applause and is a badge of honor.

We have students getting vaccinated and then refusing to tell their families. In almost all cases, they are white, conservative and relatively rural.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10654 on: August 02, 2021, 06:48:27 AM »
Afraid to come out as vaccinated.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #10655 on: August 02, 2021, 06:54:59 AM »
Afraid to come out as vaccinated.

But being “controlled by the government” or something
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #10656 on: August 02, 2021, 07:08:23 AM »
In one case, we have an older sister going ballistic that her younger sister will have to abide by certain protocols for the unvaccinated on campus this year. She has been threatening to call lawyers and demanding guarantees that her sister won’t be sterilized through the vaccine.

But the older sister doesn’t realize that the younger one is vaccinated and scared to let her know.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10657 on: August 02, 2021, 09:09:37 AM »
I have had several in depth conversations with patients. Not certain if I've been successful or not. Honestly, in my experience, the African-American population is by far the most skeptical and untrusting group I run across and $100 isn't going to change minds. In short, non-compliant conservatives simply don't believe any of the imposed measures are necessary and are willing to take their chances. Liberals run the spectrum from compliance to unhinged covid crazies.

We have one political party whose popular leaders are drawing standing ovations at rallies for ripping on the vaccine. We have the governor of one of the most Delta-infected states selling anti-science merchandise to stock his campaign fund. We have right-wing media outlets actively undermining vaccination efforts. And we have MAGA counties in red states avoiding the vaccine in droves.

But yes, it's libs and Blacks -- and don't forget illegals streaming across the border! -- who are causing COVID-19 spikes in Missouri.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10658 on: August 02, 2021, 10:08:34 AM »

But yes, it's libs and Blacks -- and don't forget illegals streaming across the border! -- who are causing COVID-19 spikes in Missouri.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/07/29/missouri-doctor-says-people-disguise-coming-covid-vaccine/5413341001/

Sad world.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10659 on: August 02, 2021, 10:33:29 AM »
We have one political party whose popular leaders are drawing standing ovations at rallies for ripping on the vaccine. We have the governor of one of the most Delta-infected states selling anti-science merchandise to stock his campaign fund. We have right-wing media outlets actively undermining vaccination efforts. And we have MAGA counties in red states avoiding the vaccine in droves.

And we have teachers who don't want to teach, business owners who are either hurting or gone out completely, people who don't want to work, landlords who can't collect their due rent, unmeasurable psychological issues related to covid and its handling, etc., etc.
When's it going to end, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10660 on: August 02, 2021, 10:34:43 AM »
When it is finally taken seriously.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #10661 on: August 02, 2021, 10:43:48 AM »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #10662 on: August 02, 2021, 10:44:36 AM »

And we have teachers who don't want to teach, business owners who are either hurting or gone out completely, people who don't want to work, landlords who can't collect their due rent, unmeasurable psychological issues related to covid and its handling, etc., etc.

Probably never. I've kinda resigned myself to the fact that eventually Covid illness and death will be normalized as just "another thing that happens." We're pretty good at tolerating fatal risks as a society when we've decided they're too hard to fix or prevent. It's only a matter of time before this becomes one of them.

• All American
« Reply #10663 on: August 02, 2021, 11:02:40 AM »
Probably never. I've kinda resigned myself to the fact that eventually Covid illness and death will be normalized as just "another thing that happens." We're pretty good at tolerating fatal risks as a society when we've decided they're too hard to fix or prevent. It's only a matter of time before this becomes one of them.

Yep.  I actually thought we were there already, or at least would have been with higher vaccination rate.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #10664 on: August 02, 2021, 11:08:17 AM »

Yep.  I actually thought we were there already, or at least would have been with higher vaccination rate.

To me the interesting thing that remains is whether there is going to be any willpower to treat a positive test as a public health issue. As in five years from now when everyone's given up even pretending to take covid seriously: I feel bad, I get tested, I test positive, will there be any mechanism in place to quarantine me etc or is it just kinda like the flu or a cold where people go to school or work if they're not terribly ill? Will an asymptomatic NFL player get listed as "Questionable - Chest" and play on Sunday anyway like he might have if he had a sinus infection?

• All American
« Reply #10665 on: August 02, 2021, 11:13:16 AM »
That's pretty much what happened with the 1917 Flu pandemic right? 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10666 on: August 02, 2021, 01:31:25 PM »
We'll do whatever is in the best interests of the wealthy and political elite classes.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10667 on: August 02, 2021, 01:34:59 PM »

This is all fluff and bloviating without any numbers behind it.

Btw, still waiting on what increased handouts are occurring in the name of covid.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #10668 on: August 02, 2021, 02:17:44 PM »
Except, as we all know, this one isn't too hard to fix.

Get the unnatural carnal knowledgeing shot you unnatural carnal knowledgeing morons.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #10669 on: August 02, 2021, 02:31:20 PM »

Get the unnatural carnal knowledgeing shot you unnatural carnal knowledgeing morons.

I agree with you. If I had my way nobody would have a choice. It would be shot in arm period no excuses ala smallpox. But, alas, we've created a world where we tolerate vaccine refusers (mock them, rage at them, shake fists at them, institute mostly toothless restrictions against them, but in the end tolerate them) and if we lack the political will to round them up and administer the shot against their will or to punish them severely enough to motivate them to choose to do it, e.g. we're relying on convincing people to do it, then the problem actually is too hard to solve because no amount of comms strategy adjustment is getting Qanon-poisoned people to get the vaccine.

Since we won't force abstainers to get the shot, we're all just going to have to live with it. I'm glad smallpox got eradicated when it did.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #10670 on: August 02, 2021, 02:31:39 PM »

I believe I saw today we are now at Biden’s goal of 70% of Americans getting at least their first shot.  So we hit his goal yet still seem to be on a path back to mask mandates and other restrictions.  We did our part (generally speaking) and helped the administration hit their goal, albeit a couple weeks late.  Now it’s their time to hold up their end of the bargain and let us return to normal without threat of increased restrictions etc.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10671 on: August 02, 2021, 02:41:16 PM »
I believe I saw today we are now at Biden’s goal of 70% of Americans getting at least their first shot.  So we hit his goal yet still seem to be on a path back to mask mandates and other restrictions.  We did our part (generally speaking) and helped the administration hit their goal, albeit a couple weeks late.  Now it’s their time to hold up their end of the bargain and let us return to normal without threat of increased restrictions etc.

That's not how this works and you know it.

Not with the delta variant. 70% would have been enough before delta spread. Now it's not.

Science moves. Treatments change.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10672 on: August 02, 2021, 02:43:21 PM »
A large problem with the lack of workers is the lack of day care.    And the unwillingness of mothers (or stay at home fathers) to put their unvaccinated child in a day care with other unvaccinated children.    Because, despite what the virus lovers are trying to get you to believe, the Delta variant does affect children.   

It isn't laziness.   It isn't sitting on their ass because of overly generous unemployment benefits.    Many families have figured out how to make it on one income and are unwilling to endanger their children.    Home schooling will be up again this fall.   

And day care is having a problem on both ends because there aren't enough people willing to work for minimum wage and be exposed to all of these unvaccinated children.     

So, how do you propose to have adequate affordable day care for the unvaccinated?     

Can you imagine if Americans had taken the same attitude toward Nazis, smallpox, polio, measles that they have toward COVID?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #10673 on: August 02, 2021, 02:54:19 PM »
A large problem with the lack of workers is the lack of day care.    And the unwillingness of mothers (or stay at home fathers) to put their unvaccinated child in a day care with other unvaccinated children.    Because, despite what the virus lovers are trying to get you to believe, the Delta variant does affect children.   

It isn't laziness.   It isn't sitting on their ass because of overly generous unemployment benefits.    Many families have figured out how to make it on one income and are unwilling to endanger their children.    Home schooling will be up again this fall.   

And day care is having a problem on both ends because there aren't enough people willing to work for minimum wage and be exposed to all of these unvaccinated children.     

So, how do you propose to have adequate affordable day care for the unvaccinated?     

Can you imagine if Americans had taken the same attitude toward Nazis, smallpox, polio, measles that they have toward COVID?

To be fair, some did when it came to the Nazi’s.  I’m also fully convinced we’d still have smallpox, polio and measles if there had been social media back in the day
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10674 on: August 02, 2021, 02:59:08 PM »
To be fair, some did when it came to the Nazi’s. 

Some still do.