[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129363 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #7575 on: July 26, 2020, 09:25:18 PM »
Just for a little more documentation of the lung scarring, here is an NPR article about a peer-reviewed study that was published in Nature Medicine last month.

We Still Don't Fully Understand The Label 'Asymptomatic'

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/06/23/864536258/we-still-dont-fully-understand-the-label-asymptomatic

The Nature Medicine paper analyzes 37 asymptomatic cases, found through the contact tracing and testing efforts of the Wanzhou District Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in central China, which screened 2,088 close contacts of coronavirus patients from February through early April.

The asymptomatic patients were hospitalized for observation. Fifty-seven percent showed lung abnormalities on a CT scan, a sensitive imaging technique that produces a three-dimensional picture of the lungs. Some showed "striped shadows," while others presented with "ground-glass opacities" — clear signs of inflammation in the lungs.

Do we know the full extent of the long-term consequences? Of course not; we won't know the full extent for years. But there is plenty of reason to be VERY concerned right now about even 'surviving' COVID.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #7576 on: July 26, 2020, 09:50:14 PM »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #7577 on: July 26, 2020, 10:01:02 PM »
Rocky sez: noting to do with covid
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 10:53:57 PM by rocky_warrior »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7578 on: July 26, 2020, 11:24:32 PM »
So you don't care if people die?? Has this been proven?? I have heard it talked about, but I have never seen any scientific facts/data that support it. Is it out there?? It's a serious question, because I honestly have never seen one piece of data that shows that. You'd think with everything going on with covid, someone would have shown those #'s many times.

I do care if people died. I'm also not naive enough to think that's the only negative outcome of this virus. And yes there's plenty of data. I believe a few posters have posted various findings on this.
Maigh Eo for Sam

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #7579 on: July 27, 2020, 01:18:19 AM »
Not to rail on you gooo but this is another perfect example of what I was talking about...people ONLY talk about cases when they want to make a point, and ignore death count/% only when it's convenient will they bring that up. They have had 103 total deaths, again a .01% death rate. That's pretty standard % in most states. That seems successful to me. Wanna know what NO ONE talks about?? The overall recovery %...which sits about 97-98% nationally. I mean you aren't going to get a 100% regardless of pandemic.

You do realize you have to multiply by 100 to get a percent, yes? You've forgotten to do that on nearly every percentage you were citing (e.g. Florida, Miami-Dade, and here with ND). The case fatality rate in ND is 1.7% right now.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #7580 on: July 27, 2020, 07:23:03 AM »
You do realize you have to multiply by 100 to get a percent, yes? You've forgotten to do that on nearly every percentage you were citing (e.g. Florida, Miami-Dade, and here with ND). The case fatality rate in ND is 1.7% right now.

It's simple math..#deaths/total cases. That's how you get the ACCURATE %. You can use multiplying by 100 to distort the Numbers. Otherwise, how in the hell/why would you multiply by 100?? That has nothing to do with it.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7581 on: July 27, 2020, 07:33:28 AM »
It's simple math..#deaths/total cases. That's how you get the ACCURATE %. You can use multiplying by 100 to distort the Numbers. Otherwise, how in the hell/why would you multiply by 100?? That has nothing to do with it.

The minute you add % after the statement, you need to multiple by 100 (mathematically).

So you can say the case fatality ratio is x (# deaths/total cases)

But the minute you say percent, your calculation above in inaccurate

Such as 1/100 = .01 or 1%

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7582 on: July 27, 2020, 08:15:06 AM »
In the positive news front.  It appears many of the actions in the epidemic states a few weeks ago have resulted in plateau or decline of cases.  Hospitalizations in those areas seem to be tracking generally with that as well. 

Hopefully we stay the course on these interventions (and get a little more aggressive in the new areas starting to rise).

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #7583 on: July 27, 2020, 08:29:54 AM »
We should totally reopen schools and have sports. What could go wrong?

Sources: Marlins cancel game as virus spreads
The Miami Marlins' home opener against the Baltimore Orioles Monday night has been canceled, sources told ESPN's Jeff Passan, as coronavirus cases continue to pop up among the team.

The Marlins remain in Philadelphia and continue to undergo testing after their weekend series there.

Eight more players and two coaches with the Marlins have tested positive for coronavirus, as an outbreak has spread throughout their clubhouse and brought the total of cases in recent days to at least 14, sources familiar with the situation told ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29546814/sources-marlins-cancel-game-virus-spreads

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7584 on: July 27, 2020, 08:36:12 AM »

The Miami Marlins' home opener against the Baltimore Orioles Monday night has been canceled, sources told ESPN's Jeff Passan, as coronavirus cases continue to pop up among the team.

The Marlins remain in Philadelphia and continue to undergo testing after their weekend series there.

Eight more players and two coaches with the Marlins have tested positive for coronavirus, as an outbreak has spread throughout their clubhouse and brought the total of cases in recent days to at least 14, sources familiar with the situation told ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29546814/sources-marlins-cancel-game-virus-spreads

And now it begins. If MLB really wants to take this seriously, they will isolate and test everyone from the Marlins and the Phillies - and other teams the Marlins may have played - for a couple of weeks.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7585 on: July 27, 2020, 08:45:05 AM »
Trump national security advisor Robert O’Brien tests positive for coronavirus

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/27/coronavirus-trump-national-security-advisor-robert-obrien-tests-positive.html

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #7586 on: July 27, 2020, 08:45:33 AM »
I love that they canceled one game. Like who is going to want to play them tomorrow?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7587 on: July 27, 2020, 08:49:49 AM »
Dang.  Predictable, but I really enjoyed the first few days of baseball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7588 on: July 27, 2020, 08:51:20 AM »
As I understand it, each team has 30 players on their roster this year, plus a 30 man taxi squad that they can dip into as needed.    I am guessing that they are trying to figure out how best to move forward.     What would it do to the integrity of the game to quarantine all 30 of the active roster and replace them with the taxi squad for two weeks?

These are the times we live in.    If MLB is going to have this challenge after the first weekend of play, what will the schools look like two weeks in?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7589 on: July 27, 2020, 08:51:21 AM »

LOL, what?  If the figures you are talking about are 1 dealth out of 100 cases, that is .01.  To get a percentage you multiply by 100.  Or 1%.

Elementary school math.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7590 on: July 27, 2020, 09:06:00 AM »

And now it begins. If MLB really wants to take this seriously, they will isolate and test everyone from the Marlins and the Phillies - and other teams the Marlins may have played - for a couple of weeks.

Serious question ... is there really much chance of transmission by sharing an outdoor baseball field with someone who has COVID? If I'm the Phillies' centerfielder, I don't see much reason to be concerned if a Marlins pitcher or third baseman tested positive. There's almost no chance I was in that person's proximity for more than a few minutes, it that, and any interaction would have been brief and outside.
Obviously the Marlins needs to do extra testing (players currently are tested every other day) and quarantine those positive/exposed, but quarantining another team for two weeks because they were in the same ballpark seems excessive.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7591 on: July 27, 2020, 09:10:20 AM »
Serious question ... is there really much chance of transmission by sharing an outdoor baseball field with someone who has COVID? If I'm the Phillies' centerfielder, I don't see much reason to be concerned if a Marlins pitcher or third baseman tested positive. There's almost no chance I was in that person's proximity for more than a few minutes, it that, and any interaction would have been brief and outside.
Obviously the Marlins needs to do extra testing (players currently are tested every other day) and quarantine those positive/exposed, but quarantining another team for two weeks because they were in the same ballpark seems excessive.

Certainly less risky than indoor sports. Still, it isn't just the third baseman - it's at least 14 Marlins players so far. And over the course of a three-game series against a team with so many known positive cases, it is quite possible that the centerfielder had enough contact with enough players to contract the virus.

And remember - we aren't just worried about the Phillies' centerfielder. If anyone from the Phillies got it, he could unwittingly spread it to teammates before he even knew he was a risk.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 09:11:58 AM by GooooMarquette »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #7592 on: July 27, 2020, 09:23:46 AM »
Catcher is going to need two masks, one an n95 mask.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7593 on: July 27, 2020, 09:26:33 AM »

Certainly less risky than indoor sports. Still, it isn't just the third baseman - it's at least 14 Marlins players so far. And over the course of a three-game series against a team with so many known positive cases, it is quite possible that the centerfielder had enough contact with enough players to contract the virus.

And remember - we aren't just worried about the Phillies' centerfielder. If anyone from the Phillies got it, he could unwittingly spread it to teammates before he even knew he was a risk.

Of course, but it seems shutting down the Phillies would be an extreme measure not being taken in any other business/industry, where the risk of infection would be far greater.
If, for example, some workers at my local Home Depot test positive, they're not quarantining the entire workforce for two weeks, much less everyone who shopped there.
The standard for quarantining someone who's been potentially exposed has always been close contact, defined by the CDC as "someone who was within 6 feet of an infected person for at least 15 minutes." When is an opposing player ever in "close contact" on a baseball field?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7594 on: July 27, 2020, 10:15:00 AM »
The Athletic is reporting that Yankees-Phillies also canceled, and "emergency meeting" for all MLB clubs is set for today.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7595 on: July 27, 2020, 10:52:43 AM »
The Athletic is reporting that Yankees-Phillies also canceled, and "emergency meeting" for all MLB clubs is set for today.

I feel like 2020 has become that old corporate poster about the definition of insanity. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #7596 on: July 27, 2020, 10:54:08 AM »
Anyone notice that Herman Cain is still in the hospital? His twitter feed (posted by others) had updates on his condition for a little while, but crickets for the last week. No media coverage at all.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #7597 on: July 27, 2020, 11:03:50 AM »
Of course, but it seems shutting down the Phillies would be an extreme measure not being taken in any other business/industry, where the risk of infection would be far greater.
If, for example, some workers at my local Home Depot test positive, they're not quarantining the entire workforce for two weeks, much less everyone who shopped there.
The standard for quarantining someone who's been potentially exposed has always been close contact, defined by the CDC as "someone who was within 6 feet of an infected person for at least 15 minutes." When is an opposing player ever in "close contact" on a baseball field?

This seems like a prime situation for pausing a team while you do robust testing on anyone who may have been in contact and then proceeding instead of shutting everything down post-haste. But everything has seemingly been all or nothing lately

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #7598 on: July 27, 2020, 11:10:37 AM »

So how did this start?  Why are they using a clubhouse to change and interact?  Just dress and shower at home/hotel.  Time to call out players if they are going out to clubs or bars

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7599 on: July 27, 2020, 11:11:40 AM »
This seems like a prime situation for pausing a team while you do robust testing on anyone who may have been in contact and then proceeding instead of shutting everything down post-haste. But everything has seemingly been all or nothing lately

You know what it says to me?  They didn’t prepare for this possibility. 

feedback