[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129363 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #5075 on: May 09, 2020, 07:46:25 PM »
Michigan is not one of the states reporting comprehensive aggregate data, according to the article and the graph,

Oh I took it as “we assemble our own data and in come cases it’s easy because states report it”. Doesn’t totally explain why Mass would be high and MI low either since they are both listed.  Unless I am just completely missing something.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5076 on: May 09, 2020, 07:50:08 PM »
Here is the article.  I actually think the state disparity is amazing.  What is MI doing that everyone else should copy.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/05/09/us/coronavirus-cases-nursing-homes-us.html

Thanks for for linking.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5077 on: May 09, 2020, 07:56:57 PM »
Australia researchers believe more people in their nation will die due to elevated suicide levels (economic fallout) then the virus itself.

Oh please provide a link for this.  Pretty please...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5078 on: May 09, 2020, 08:03:31 PM »
Michigan is having big numbers in the prison populations.    Huge numbers in the poor African American communities of Detroit and surrounding areas.    It is having some breakouts in nursing homes.  Fully 1/4 of the deaths in my county are from one nursing home.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5079 on: May 09, 2020, 08:06:56 PM »
Michigan is having big numbers in the prison populations.    Huge numbers in the poor African American communities of Detroit and surrounding areas.    It is having some breakouts in nursing homes.  Fully 1/4 of the deaths in my county are from one nursing home.

Meal Team Six will handle it, once they finish their raspberry cheesecake cookies.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #5080 on: May 09, 2020, 08:15:23 PM »
This isn’t terrifying it’s math. Where was Gunnels Warren when no one had yet lost their job yet and their wealth took a hit.  Kind of Lazy in my opinion.

To me, it's terrifying for the long term ramifications of more wealth inequality

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #5081 on: May 09, 2020, 08:15:46 PM »
Why sports are going to be really hard to start up.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/german-bundesliga/story/4093404/bundesliga-2-side-dynamo-dresden-ordered-to-quarantine-squad-ahead-of-restart

Life will be hard period as long as no vaccine is available to free us all.
I honestly think people at the F it point.  Went to get a prescription friday at target and it was packed. about half had masks on but it seemed like business as usual.  Today at walmart was much of the same.  For weeks prior they were checking people at the do or 1 entrance open and only allowing so many in the stare at once.  Today nobody was at the door and both entrances were open.

Overall people do respect the 6 ft but why not just make masks mandatory. 

As for sports I really think you can have people in the stands.  Plenty of technology to only have so many seats available only have about 20% of the crowd to start.  Concessions and bathrooms would be treated just like a grocery store is today

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5082 on: May 09, 2020, 09:01:50 PM »
To me, it's terrifying for the long term ramifications of more wealth inequality

All of them are entrepreneurs. they took risks, sacrificed, and got lucky in many ways.  All except Buffett are in the tech space.  Tech companies are supplying what people need right now, if its streaming, video, apps, etc. 

I guess i just dont look at the number of B's after the dollar sign and get angry.  I say good for them, I'll take my little old middle class life, but don't have anger or animosity towards the very wealthy.  And many of thise names are philanthropic too, which helps everyone out.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5083 on: May 10, 2020, 09:03:38 AM »
From the Associated Press:

As Trump pulls back from virus, Congress races to fill void

https://apnews.com/919b26f2576dff3e888cad3f10446562

Jolted by the lack of comprehensive federal planning as states begin to reopen, lawmakers of both parties, from the senior-most senators to the newest House member, are jumping in to develop policies and unleash resources to prevent a second wave.

In the House and Senate, lawmakers are pushing sweeping proposals for a national virus testing strategy. One seasoned Republican wants a war-like public health fund. A New Jersey freshman launched neighboring colleagues on a regional bipartisan task force to help guide Northeastern states back to work.

——

A comprehensive, coordinated plan instead of impulsive and contradictory tweets. What a concept.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #5084 on: May 10, 2020, 09:05:55 AM »
From the Associated Press:

As Trump pulls back from virus, Congress races to fill void

https://apnews.com/919b26f2576dff3e888cad3f10446562

Jolted by the lack of comprehensive federal planning as states begin to reopen, lawmakers of both parties, from the senior-most senators to the newest House member, are jumping in to develop policies and unleash resources to prevent a second wave.

In the House and Senate, lawmakers are pushing sweeping proposals for a national virus testing strategy. One seasoned Republican wants a war-like public health fund. A New Jersey freshman launched neighboring colleagues on a regional bipartisan task force to help guide Northeastern states back to work.

——

A comprehensive, coordinated plan instead of impulsive and contradictory tweets. What a concept.

This sounds hopeful.  Time for legislatures to do their jobs
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5085 on: May 10, 2020, 09:18:42 AM »
This sounds hopeful.  Time for legislatures to do their jobs

Yep. President steps in to manage the emergency, Congress should be setting up the clean-up, future prevention and response.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5086 on: May 10, 2020, 09:44:42 AM »
Yep. President steps in to manage the emergency, Congress should be setting up the clean-up, future prevention and response.

The article explains that Congress is doing this first part too, because there is bipartisan agreement that POTUS did not effectively “manage the emergency.” Instead, he sat on the sidelines while the states did the work, with varying results.

The “national virus testing strategy“ referred to in the article should have been one of the very first things POTUS did.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 09:46:21 AM by GooooMarquette »

wadesworld

• All American
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5088 on: May 10, 2020, 10:32:16 AM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #5089 on: May 10, 2020, 10:38:43 AM »
We had a very robust  future prevention and response in place, but a moron disassembled it. Even if we put it back in place, how do we prevent future misadministrations from habitually underfunding and eliminating it?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5090 on: May 10, 2020, 11:14:25 AM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/05/americas-racial-contract-showing/611389/

Perfectly written.

It's a hard read, because sadly it is all true. I've noticed in my city, the initial cases were all in the wealthy neighborhoods. People traveling from luxurious overseas vacations.

Those neighborhoods are now pretty safe. Most of the new cases are in poor neighborhoods, where originally there were no cases. Because those were the people still being forced to work, and had to take public transportation to get to their "essential jobs," that paid minimum wage.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5091 on: May 10, 2020, 11:18:41 AM »
Not in the MD group, but am in the medical scientist field.

Yes, an asymptomatic patient will test positive. The virus is replicating in them, and they are shedding virus, which is why they are contagious. That means that the RNA that is detected by most of the testing platforms will be present.

The problem is that many of these tests have a high level of false negatives. This is going to be more probable in the early stages of the disease, when the individuals are still contagious.

Thanks, forgetful (and others chiming in) for the answer. So assuming that Trump and Pence get the best testing money can buy, it would seem quarantining them is unnecessary after they have contact with infected people as long as they have negative tests.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5092 on: May 10, 2020, 11:20:51 AM »
Yo MU82, I know you just want your 6 inch BMT, but do you have to carry your bazooka to make sure they put on banana peppers, and not jalapeño peppers.

https://twitter.com/vizjourno/status/1259189791150800899?s=21

I try to avoid the Raleigh-Durham area ... and I guess that's a good thing.

I agree with Pakuni about these gentlemen obviously trying to make up for physical shortcomings. Probably mental shortcomings, too.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5093 on: May 10, 2020, 11:25:17 AM »
So, are we holding a late-night comedian's jokes to unusually high standards for truthiness here, or the statements of a president of the United States to unusually low ones?

I merely follow the teachings of Mike Pence, who in 1998 said this about holding POTUS accountable:

If you and I fall into bad moral habits, we can harm our families, our employers and our friends. The President of the United States can incinerate the planet. Seriously, the very idea that we ought to have at or less than the same moral demands placed on the Chief Executive that we place on our next door neighbor is ludicrous and dangerous. ... Throughout our history, we have seen the presidency as the repository of all of our highest hopes and ideals and values. To demand less is to do an injustice to the blood that bought our freedoms.

Now that he's the Vice Hypocrite, Pence seems less concerned about a president's responsibilities in this realm. But maybe he thinks late-night TV comedians should be held to those high standards now.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5094 on: May 10, 2020, 12:17:42 PM »
Thanks, forgetful (and others chiming in) for the answer. So assuming that Trump and Pence get the best testing money can buy, it would seem quarantining them is unnecessary after they have contact with infected people as long as they have negative tests.

Correct, but only if they have a 100% effective test. I don’t know if there any tests for COVID that have a 0% false negative rate.

My guess is that they get the same tests as Fauci and the other docs that work in the WH, and they have elected to self-quarantine. Draw your own conclusions...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 12:19:40 PM by GooooMarquette »

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #5095 on: May 10, 2020, 02:25:22 PM »

Oh please provide a link for this.  Pretty please...

Study done at Sydney University.  Here is one of the researchers in his own words

https://twitter.com/SBSNews/status/1258298018710736896

Some additional links (appears there a many to choose from)

https://www.barrons.com/news/australia-fears-suicide-spike-due-to-virus-shutdown-01588819808

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8293233/Far-people-Australia-predicted-die-suicide-coronavirus-lockdown.html

If that doesn't grab your attention, 75,000 Americans could die of suicide because of COVID.  https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/08/health/coronavirus-deaths-of-despair/index.html

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5096 on: May 10, 2020, 02:27:38 PM »
Study done at Sydney University.  Here is one of the researchers in his own words

https://twitter.com/SBSNews/status/1258298018710736896

Some additional links (appears there a many to choose from)

https://www.barrons.com/news/australia-fears-suicide-spike-due-to-virus-shutdown-01588819808

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8293233/Far-people-Australia-predicted-die-suicide-coronavirus-lockdown.html

If that doesn't grab your attention, 75,000 Americans could die of suicide because of COVID.  https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/08/health/coronavirus-deaths-of-despair/index.html

It literally says in the title “OVERDOSE or suicide.”
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #5097 on: May 10, 2020, 02:33:54 PM »
It literally says in the title “OVERDOSE or suicide.”

Because in many cases it is difficult to discern if an overdose is a suicide or just an accidental overdose.  This has been part of the psychiatric medical world going back to the 1970's.
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #5098 on: May 10, 2020, 02:51:29 PM »
President Obama said it well yesterday.  "It would have been bad even in the best of governments".  Agree with him completely.  When I see people say blood on someone's hands, or all 75K deaths result of one person, or bigger than Vietnam.  This is nothing but blatant partisanship. 

Could things have been better?  No double in my mind.  Would a different administration have done things differently in an election year?  Highly doubtful. 
— Plato

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #5099 on: May 10, 2020, 02:53:44 PM »
President Obama said it well yesterday.  "It would have been bad even in the best of governments".  Agree with him completely.  When I see people say blood on someone's hands, or all 75K deaths result of one person, or bigger than Vietnam.  This is nothing but blatant partisanship. 

Could things have been better?  No double in my mind.  Would a different administration have done things differently in an election year?  Highly doubtful.

That's not partisanship. It's just math

feedback