[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New season, NIU opponent  (Read 4542 times)

Shooter McGavin

• All American
Re: New season, NIU opponent
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2023, 03:57:52 PM »
Sean’s attempts from three were all in and out.  I believe he had better arc than last year but I may just be hopeful.   I think he will get his.  And as paint touches just touched on he is creating for others on the court even if they are hockey assists.  Looking forward to seeing “the truth” take the next step this year. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2023, 04:03:23 PM »
I think Chase will average more minutes than Stevie in conference play if he keeps it up, even though he will continue to come off the bench.

We all love Stevie, but as Shaka said you just love having Chase out there for so many reasons. He is effective on both ends and his athleticism will be needed against more elite competition.
Whether he eats up more of Jops minutes or Stevie’s depends on the opposing teams size and how those two start the game off or how effective they look, but regardless Chase will get his.

As for Jones the younger and smaller, I’m sure Shaka will have to pick and choose his moments more carefully.
He’s perfect against good/organized defenses since his speed and ability to weave thru tight spaces becomes invaluable. He gives Marquette a wrinkle that the other guards don’t, and it makes Marquette harder to guard by elite defenses that game plan well to take away Tyler because the team becomes more unpredictable.

Seems like Shaka really likes Tre and what he brings as well, so it’ll be trickier for SJ22 to carve out a roll. He’s got to get better at giving guys easy buckets, and hitting some open 3s would obviously help. That drive to the hoop last night was nice.

If both Kam and TyKo leave it’ll be interesting next season to see a back court trio of Tre, SJ22, and Stevie trying to create and score. It’ll be quite the drop off, so I’m hopeful that even though the team doesn’t need their scoring this season one of them starts showing a better knack for getting his own.

Just on eye test, the defense seemed to stink anytime Stevie went to the bench last night.  I don't think he's going to be losing any minutes this year.  The offense is going to be elite.  Stevie's defense is also elite.  We don't need extra offense with the starters out there.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2023, 04:27:44 PM »
Just on eye test, the defense seemed to stink anytime Stevie went to the bench last night.  I don't think he's going to be losing any minutes this year.  The offense is going to be elite.  Stevie's defense is also elite.  We don't need extra offense with the starters out there.

I was so impressed by how many balls he managed to tip or alter. No one takes deflections as seriously as Stevie and it's really impressive how he's in the middle of everything on that end of the floor.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2023, 04:35:36 PM »
I will say it again, if MU is going to make a deep run, Stevie has to play a major role. He is becoming the perfect college basketball player imo.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2023, 04:50:57 PM »
I will say it again, if MU is going to make a deep run, Stevie has to play a major role. He is becoming the perfect college basketball player imo.

100% agree

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2023, 05:35:46 PM »

Bingo

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2023, 05:40:04 PM »
Agreed

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2023, 06:30:21 PM »
Is 18-22mpg considered a major role?
If so, he’s already playing it.

Him and Jop will almost always be 1/2 to the bench from the starters, and Stevie can give way to either of the first two subbed in last night, Chase and SJ22.

No one is doubting his defensive intensity and greatness, it’s a complete joy to watch and an ultimate necessity for a championship caliber team.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2023, 06:36:47 PM »
Doctor

Number of minutes does not mean a great deal to me, playing crunch time minutes does. Playing a major role for a four minute stretch in a key game is major to me. IMO, he is the catalyst on D, much like Omax was last year. Different impact, but both difference makers.

Over the past two seasons everyone has commented, applauded, his D and that was great. I think he goes from a guy we all love to a guy we want on the court.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2023, 07:54:57 PM »
I’ll give you that Goose.
I want Stevie in in any close game at the under 4, because he’s a game changer when it comes to stops and his energy carries the team on that end.

However, in the same situation I’ve gotta have TyKo and Kam in and I’ve gotta have Oso in.
If Marquette is getting beat up inside or on the glass and giving up size I’ve gotta have Chase in, and then it comes down to Stevie or Jop. All things being equal I go Stevie, but I can see instances where Jop or Benny will have to be in to match up inside.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2023, 08:04:14 PM »
Goose:
I think Stevie is playing a max role . He goes hard for as many minutes as his body can withstand . My guess is 24 is probably the max . He will be in the game in every key 4 minute interval and then probably strategic offense /defense substitutions in the last minutes like we saw last year

Stevies defense will be critical in our ability to pull off some wins against ranked opponents
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2023, 08:59:25 PM »
I’ll give you that Goose.
I want Stevie in in any close game at the under 4, because he’s a game changer when it comes to stops and his energy carries the team on that end.

However, in the same situation I’ve gotta have TyKo and Kam in and I’ve gotta have Oso in.
If Marquette is getting beat up inside or on the glass and giving up size I’ve gotta have Chase in, and then it comes down to Stevie or Jop. All things being equal I go Stevie, but I can see instances where Jop or Benny will have to be in to match up inside.

I feel it is more likely Chase will eat some of Jop's mintues than Stevie's.  Want to see Jop excel yet I sometimes wonder if his limited athleticism negates his shooting talent.  Hypothetically, ff Chase is a 33% 3pt shooter and Jop is 40%, is that delta big enough to warrant Jop getting more run than Chase and all he brings athletically/defensively, etc?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2023, 09:50:17 PM »
Just curious - has anyone seen a shot map for this game?
Have some patience, FFS.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2023, 06:14:42 AM »
Just curious - has anyone seen a shot map for this game?

Yes. Looks as expected.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2023, 06:53:33 AM »
Pluses:
1.Chase Ross looks ready to take a major step forward.
2.Kolek, Oso and Kam are as good as ever.
3.I liked the freshmen, especially Zaide - strong, solid D and good on the glass.
4. Offense hummed when the regulars were in.

Minuses:
1. Rebounding
2. On ball D, especially from Gold and Jop.
3. Stevie’s shot looks the same to me.
4. Sean Jones is lightening but too often out of control.

All in all, pretty solid opener.
All of this. I watched Jop on D exclusively. Meh. The nice thing is we have options with Chase (and Ben).
Sean is lightning quick….but in the Big East it is much more difficult to avoid that block at the rim.
In the practice and scrimmage and the first game, Zaide looks ahead of Tre, but Shaka says Tre…so we will go with that.
Happy to see all frosh score, especially Al with the put back.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2023, 11:51:25 AM »
Yes. Looks as expected.

So is this on the NCAA website for every game?  Is it easy to find?
Have some patience, FFS.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2023, 11:58:24 AM »
Goose:
I think Stevie is playing a max role . He goes hard for as many minutes as his body can withstand . My guess is 24 is probably the max . He will be in the game in every key 4 minute interval and then probably strategic offense /defense substitutions in the last minutes like we saw last year

Stevies defense will be critical in our ability to pull off some wins against ranked opponents

Our "ability to pull off some wins" against ranked opponents? 

COLE

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2023, 02:06:35 PM »

So is this on the NCAA website for every game?  Is it easy to find?

Must be elite to access easily
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2023, 05:20:24 PM »
Must be elite to access easily
Truly consumption isn't elite
Goal is National Championship