Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [MJS Blog] At last, the Big East split is official  (Read 4170 times)

MJS_Says

[MJS Blog] At last, the Big East split is official
« on: March 08, 2013, 02:30:07 PM »
At last, the Big East split is official

Marquette's separation with the Big East will occur on July 1, it was formally announced Friday.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/196417411.html

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: [MJS Blog] At last, the Big East split is official
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 02:32:02 PM »
Seeeeee ya, Leftovers!

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 03:18:38 PM »
I have no anger toward any of the leftover Big East schools and wish them the best.  It would be a shame if Connecticut and Cincinnati slip from prominence because of all of these conference shift shenanigans.  (Selfishly, I will miss seeing our boys i Hartford or Storrs).  The old Big East is a huge reason for our resurgence.  I think anger toward Pitt, Syracuse and WVU is well-directed.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 03:28:07 PM »
The new league will keep the Big East name after paying the remaining football schools $100 million.

Quite the stretch to claim they are "paying" $100M.  There's $110M available, they never had an equal share of that pot, they are leaving two years early, are taking the name, aking the MSG tournament venue, taking their tournament shares and getting $10M. 

murocky01

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 03:56:33 PM »
Quite the stretch to claim they are "paying" $100M.  There's $110M available, they never had an equal share of that pot, they are leaving two years early, are taking the name, aking the MSG tournament venue, taking their tournament shares and getting $10M. 

Very true.  Not a bad haul when you look at what we are actually getting and considering we aren't really out-of-pocket anything.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 04:13:58 PM »
Now's the time to change our name back to Warriors!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 04:30:39 PM »

I would like that but it will not happen. You think a guy concerned about a benign student chant is going to go out on what some believe to be a racially insensitive limb? Guys like Williams are what are called "Tail Gunners" in the fighter pilot world. Their first tactical consideration is always "how does this help my career?" Williams will endorse returning to a "Warriors" theme only after he retracts his "you suck chant" email and apologizes to Buzz for calling him out in public last year. Guys like that are always checking six - problem with that view is there is more sphincter than visionary leadership.

Medieval Warriors

The Tail Gunner

Death on call

Norm

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 05:57:29 PM »

I'm all for that!! Keep the eagle as a mascot so as to avoid the Indian imagery and we're all set.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 06:01:10 PM »

I'm all for that!! Keep the eagle as a mascot so as to avoid the Indian imagery and we're all set.

Unfortunately, that ship has sailed. At this point, you're just driving yourself nuts. Time to make peace with the way things are and let it go.

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 06:23:44 PM »
I still think they should've gone with Jumpin' Jesuits. That could've been hilariously awesome.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 06:55:05 PM »
I still think they should've gone with Jumpin' Jesuits. That could've been hilariously awesome.

Cords would have told you you have a very bad attitude.  And that you should feel shame.

That's what he told me, at least, when I suggested it in a letter.   ;)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 06:57:47 PM »
Hahaha yeah, "Blue Demons" is definitely more Catholic and less shameful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 09:59:50 PM »
Cords would have told you you have a very bad attitude.  And that you should feel shame.

That's what he told me, at least, when I suggested it in a letter.   ;)

If this is a true story I think it needs to be shared!

« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 10:04:02 PM by keefe »

Death on call

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 10:22:44 PM »

The Tail Gunner

So now tail gunners are disparaged.   So do you know any?  Have there even been any since Vietnam? 
Ludum habemus.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 10:55:33 PM »

You didn't really expect Hunt to get the facts straight, did you?  The waitress at Sizzler only has so much info. to give.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 11:05:16 PM »

I used to really want the name Warriors back, then before the Syracuse game I was picking up some food.  Table of about 10 people at the restaurant drinking beer and about to watch the game (I live a long way from MKE).

They are commenting about MU.  How they are always good and fun to watch.  One guy asks what their Nickname is, everyone comes to a blank.  I tell them its the Golden Eagles (used to be Warriors).  They say thanks and continue to mention that to them it is just MARQUETTE.

I realized then, that the Marquette name is a brand.  We are Marquette.  We should drop the nickname/mascot entirely.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 01:23:08 AM »
So now tail gunners are disparaged.   So do you know any?  Have there even been any since Vietnam? 

HH-60 Pave Hawk SAR helos have gunners for the M134 7.62 Mini Gun. One who was quite well known at Kandahar was A1C Dobos.

A1C Dobos likes long walks on the beach, men who aren't afraid to cry and puppies.

Her dislikes include feed tray stoppages, tracer flareout on her NVGs and premature fixed-wing strikes scattering her high-value targets.

HH 60's are the guys who come get you if you are shot down in Indian Country so you are always nice to these guys. In the case of A1C Dobos the whole base was nice to her.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 02:24:12 AM »

You had earlier asked some questions about our Yamaha 36. She was '88 vintage which we bought and berthed in Singapore in '96. Yamahas are much more common in Asia and Europe than N. America. The Y 36 is an excellent design and very well engineered. She had a Yanmar 20 which was more than enough for the sailing we did. She had a modified keel and drew 2.4 meters which was nice for blue water. I had learned on my parent's Morgan Out Island 41 on the Chesapeake. If the Morgan was a SUV the Yamaha was a sports car. You are right about the quirky boom clearance. The gooseneck is really close to the deck so you really had to mind your head in the cockpit. In terms of design, we did a lot of Singapore - Thailand trips so stowage was at a premium. What really set the Y36 apart was the creative design below decks that maximized stowage without sacrificing livability. All in all a very nice boat that was comfortable yet fast. 

My time in Peru was for climbing. We went through Lima on the way in but went straight to the mountain. Last thing you want is to pick up a bug on the eve of a couple weeks in the wild. On the way back we spent two nights in Lima for beers and real food. The ceviche was superb and I recall some roast chicken in there somewhere. A regret is not having gone to Machu Picchu but the climb took too long so it couldn't have happened in any event. Fascinating place and I would love to go back but not sure I will make it as there are other places to see.

Death on call