[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: New Brewer Manager  (Read 8481 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: New Brewer Manager
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2010, 03:12:52 PM »
SI was reporting Bobby Valantine was the favorite.  I think I would have went him over Ron Roenicke.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2010, 03:32:31 PM »
my first instinct was to be disappointed that it wasn't a bigger name, but I have to be honest, I don't know much about Roenicke.  Going off some of the peripheral things I can tell, I think I like the hire.  He's a Scioscia guy, and his tree has pretty positive feedback.  Bud Black got great results out of an awful Padres team this year, and Joe Maddon has been great with the Rays. (who kind of remind me of the brewers 3 years ago with all that young talent -- granted they probably have a little more talent than the brewers ever had).  He's been in that successful system for 11 years, so he's certainly qualified. As always with MLB managers, its such a personality driven job that there's little to go off, but the early signs seem good.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2010, 03:47:59 PM »
Methinks/meheards that things weren't a match with Valentine when it came to his ego and contract demands.

Dont know too much about Roenicke, but I will say this in my best Mike Singletary voice...I like winners, I like guys who have experienced winning and know what it takes.

In the end though as I have said...its about the players.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2010, 04:02:24 PM »
Dont know too much about Roenicke, but I will say this in my best Mike Singletary voice...I like winners, I like guys who have experienced winning and know what it takes.

Mike Singletary might not be the best comparison here.   :D

Anyway, I really have no reason *not* to like the hire...never heard of the guy.  If he's anything like Maddon, he'll be great!

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2010, 04:04:46 PM »

Mike Singletary might not be the best comparison here.   :D

I agree...it was rumored that if the niners did not win on Sunday that he was gone.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2010, 04:34:11 PM »
I was referring to his press conf awhile back where he told everyone "I want winners! I want guys that want to win! and blah blah blah"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
Ron is a good guy.  I worked with him and Scioscia's staff for a year.  It doesn't surprise me considering Rick Schlesinger is over, among other people.  Rick was with the Halos during that time as well and certainly knows Roenicke.  I suppose it was Melvin that made the ultimate decision, but I suspect Rick was probably consulted.

I'd also say this, look at the Scioscia coaching tree.  Joe Maddon at Tampa, Bud Black in San Diego...two excellent managers in their own right.

feedback