* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by THRILLHO
[Today at 09:50:17 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[Today at 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[Today at 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jamil Jones  (Read 8118 times)

drbob

• Scholarship Player
Jamil Jones
« on: January 25, 2012, 12:10:21 PM »
Does  anybody have the inside scoop as to why no consideration of any  playing time for Jones during the games seen lately.  He is the only one who doesn't take is warmup jacket off during games. I know he got some garbage time last night ,( he did look like he had trouble running  -  any injury??  )  but mostly he is the team's #1 cheerleader.   I hope he has not lost all confidence  and turns into another Eric Williams  situation.  I  have heard the lack of defense talk,  buy seriously Anderson's defense last night left alot to be desired also.   Hate the fact that we seem to be losing a kid that has alot of offensive talent.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Jamil Jones
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 12:22:07 PM »
First of all, it's Jamail.

I have no inside information, but honestly I think the issue is that if he has "a lot of offensive talent," it certainly has yet to be displayed.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 12:30:25 PM »
I've had the exact same concern.  He at least had enough talent to be one of the more sought after recruits we have grabbed in recent years.  I'm sure it has a lot to do with playing behind Crowder and the emergence of Jamil Wilson, but I hope he stays the course and doesn't get discouraged by the lack of minutes.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 12:30:57 PM »
When Jamail has played, what has he done to warrant more playing time?

Actually, I thought Anderson played fine on defense last night. He made a very nice play coming over to reject Poland's dunk attempt at the end of the 1st half. It was his play that trigger the fast break which led to the huge dunk by J. Wilson.

drbob

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 12:36:05 PM »
thanks for the spelling lesson sultan, but seriously, kind of hard to display talent riding the pine.  Even the time he did get in the past, no chance to establish a flow. Not saying the kid is great, just seems he has been discarded. Seemed to have a sweet jumper!!

Mobot

• Team Captain
Re: Jamail Jones
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 12:40:26 PM »
Jamail has plenty of talent but doesn't seem to be assertive enough on the court.  His nickname says it all.  He needs to find an edge.

His jump shot is inconsistent.  When he is off, he is way off.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 12:44:31 PM »
He has had plenty of time to display talent.  In practice.  At Pro-Ams.  In garbage pre-season games.  I mean, Mayo and Jamil Wilson have emerged this year.  They took advantage of their opportunities.  And he may have had a "sweet jumper" in high school, but I have seen no evidence of it so far.

Believe me, I don't want to rag on the guy and I want him to stay and succeed, but unless you feel that Buzz is being unfair to him, I don't see how you could assume that he could contribute based on what you have seen so far.

GOMU85

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 12:45:15 PM »
I expect him to transfer after this year.

GOMU85

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 12:49:06 PM »
He has had plenty of time to display talent.  In practice.  At Pro-Ams.  In garbage pre-season games.  I mean, Mayo and Jamil Wilson have emerged this year.  They took advantage of their opportunities.  And he may have had a "sweet jumper" in high school, but I have seen no evidence of it so far.

Believe me, I don't want to rag on the guy and I want him to stay and succeed, but unless you feel that Buzz is being unfair to him, I don't see how you could assume that he could contribute based on what you have seen so far.

+1000

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 12:52:59 PM »
He is not going to transfer, because next year he will be higher in the pecking order and may actually be able to get a pretty solid amount of minutes. He has fully bought into Buzz' system. Erik got his chance at the end of last year because he practiced hard. Buzz seriously does play the players who do the best in practice. I don't expect him to transfer, and I expect him to get a solid amount of minutes next year at the 3 and 4. I am not worried about it. He doesn't seem angry to not be playing. It is what it is, and he realizes that he has to play harder when we have such a good roster.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 12:58:05 PM »

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 12:58:33 PM »

+1. Jones has gotten time, especially during the non-conference portion of the schedule. Sometimes, a player has to make the coach play him, see Mayo.

I don't think going into the season Buzz would have predicted that Mayo would be playing as much as he has. However, early on in the season, Mayo provided contributions on both ends of the floor that made it difficult for Buzz not to play him. Things have progressed from there.

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 01:02:22 PM »
For those saying he hasn't gotten enough playing time to show off his skill set, let's remember that Buzz and the coaching staff see him play in practice and individual workouts every single day. If he isn't getting playing time, it's because he isn't the best player Marquette can have on the court at any specific time.

One thing I would like to point out that may go unnoticed is that Jamial's attitude, from what I can tell, has been superb through it all. He is the most positive player on the bench in terms of cheering, congratulating players and always having his head in the game. I am NOT turning this into a "demeanor" discussion, but it's worth noting that he shows no signs of sulking due to his lack of playing time.

He seems OK not being in the rotation and I can assure you he is working his rear off to get better each and every day, just like everyone else on the team. His time will come, but for now he's doing everything right.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 01:18:36 PM »
I think what hinders Jones, as well as Wilson's and Anderson's, playing time is Buzz's tendency to only rely on a 7 man rotation, with an occasional 8 man rotation. Especially in Big East play, Buzz shortens his bench and relies on 7, sometimes 8 guys, for the majority of playing time. If I remember correctly, this situation happened at New Orleans too, but I could be mistaken. I like Buzz and am happy he is at Marquette, but I think he is still getting comfortable and learning how to be a head coach (no coach ever quits learning) and I think one of his challenges is learning how to involve everybody as much as he can with a team that is very talented like this year's team (at least on paper and on high school reputations).

nyg

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 01:28:08 PM »
Hopefully he is shooting better than 33% on fg and 17% on threes in practice.  He had a wide open three last night and missed.  Maybe he gets more garbage time at the end of a blowout for some sort of confidence.

But he has been in the system for almost two years now and has been bypassed by Anderson in any type of rotation.  It's not like he just arrived as Rivals #52 recruit in the country in his class. For a recruit known as an outside shooter, that has not been seen in the games he played and no one knows how he does in practice except the staff.

I am sure he is a great teamate and displays enthusiasm on the bench, but that is all we will probably see of him this year.   

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 01:35:28 PM »
He is not going to transfer, because next year he will be higher in the pecking order and may actually be able to get a pretty solid amount of minutes. He has fully bought into Buzz' system. Erik got his chance at the end of last year because he practiced hard. Buzz seriously does play the players who do the best in practice. I don't expect him to transfer, and I expect him to get a solid amount of minutes next year at the 3 and 4. I am not worried about it. He doesn't seem angry to not be playing. It is what it is, and he realizes that he has to play harder when we have such a good roster.

you think he is going to go from virtually zero minutes this season to solid minutes next year? Based on what? Face it, he just does not have the talent to play at this level. I don't care how high a recruit he was coming in, he has shown nothing in almost two years.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 01:40:27 PM »

To be honest with you, you are more positive about this than I am.  With Juan ahead in the rotation, and decent alternatives in the Taylors coming in next year, I just don't see how it happens.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 01:42:12 PM »
Agree.  He's a one dribble guard.  Jamail seems only comfortable shooting outside shots.  Can't see how he can help the team this year or next year.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 01:47:20 PM »

I don't.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GOMU85

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 01:47:53 PM »

To be honest with you, you are more positive about this than I am.  With Juan ahead in the rotation, and decent alternatives in the Taylors coming in next year, I just don't see how it happens.

+1000

chapman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 01:51:17 PM »
you think he is going to go from virtually zero minutes this season to solid minutes next year? Based on what? Face it, he just does not have the talent to play at this level. I don't care how high a recruit he was coming in, he has shown nothing in almost two years.

Agree, it's pretty optimistic to expect minutes next year.  He had more recent game experience than Wilson and a year in the program on Mayo and Anderson.  They're all above him in the rotation now.  If he can use two years of seniority to his advantage and outperform TJ Taylor, Steve Taylor, and Jamal Ferguson next year he's bound to see some nice playing time.  If he can't outperform three more newcomers even with two years on them he's either got to love MU to the point that PT doesn't matter or he's going to regret staying.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 01:53:05 PM »

You are not a real Marquette fan!

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 02:04:32 PM »
I expect Jamail to become a solid role player on this team in the next 2 seasons. He's not playing right now because DJO, Blue, Mayo, Crowder, Jamil and Juan are better than he is and are playing all the minutes at the 2-3-4 positions. With DJO and Crowder moving on after this season, that opens up 60+ minutes of PT. I fully expect Jamail to grab some of those minutes.

What player should we pick on next? Seriously, sometimes I feel like posters on this board think MU is 4-17, not 17-4.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 02:06:47 PM »
Yeah this.....You earn your time in practice. Buzz will play the guys he thinks gives him the best chance to win like every coach.

He isn't the first recruit who appears to be a "miss" and he won't be the last.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 02:09:52 PM »
No one is "picking on" Jamail.  Honestly, if we can't have fair and honest discussion about a player's role and what we might project going forward, what is the point of a message board?  No one is saying he "sucks," no one is saying that he should transfer, and I don't think there is a single person on this board that doesn't *want* him to succeed.

feedback