[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 117207 times)

BM1090

• All American
Re: Tennis
« Reply #275 on: February 14, 2021, 10:46:09 AM »
Assuming the answer is no, but does McDonald have any shot vs. Medvedev tonight?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #276 on: February 14, 2021, 12:07:17 PM »
Assuming the answer is no, but does McDonald have any shot vs. Medvedev tonight?

I’ve never seen old McDonald play ... but he has a shot ... E-I-E-I-O.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #277 on: February 14, 2021, 12:08:41 PM »

I’d be shocked if McDonald even snatches a set. But Medvedev did just have a 5 setter, so we’ll see

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #278 on: February 14, 2021, 12:21:36 PM »

The short answer is yes, Mackie has a chance.

The longer answer is it will be a big challenge. It's a difficult matchup for him because Medvedev excels at many things, and, he ultimately forces opponents to defeat themselves. That's how he wins a lot of the time.

Mackie's game is as an aggressive baseliner, taking the ball early, great movement and footwork making shots on the move from both sides, and, he has good hands at the net. Very roughly speaking, a Kei Nishikori style of play in some ways. Very clean, strong, winner to unforced error ratio. He will have to serve well enough on both his 1st and 2nd serves, his best, to have a chance. (Mackie a former NCAA Singles Champ is one of three former UCLA Bruins playing in the event.)

Mackie had a very serious hamstring injury two years ago, that required surgery and a very long recovery rehab in small steps. It's been a long road back.

Daniil Medvedev is 6'6 vs Mackie's 5'10. But he doesn't play Big Man tennis. He is one of the game's best and most unorthodox tactical players. He has good lateral movement defend with footwork and length. He can stand inside the baseline and hit low flat backhands that are not easy to return. He doesn't really have a big weakness to his game, and, he is often a few steps ahead with strategy. Perhaps his weakness is not having a knockout punch at times but that would be it. Players at Medvedev's level with that knockout punch are the few that give him trouble.

He is unafraid to change tactics during a match, and, thus opponents don't know what's coming next. He can be a human backboard, ike Drago in Rocky IV before drawing blood, making him uncomfortable, and, inevitably temperamental.

Mackie's movement and shot making will help him against a Medvedev, but he has to get some free serve points here and there too. I'd make Medvdev come in, even though he is much improved at the net. I wouldn't get into long center of baseline rallies with him.

Medvedev has won 17 straight matches, most against top 10 players.

As long as you step out on court and throw the ball up, there's always a chance. But it will take a best level effort from Mackie, and a few things to go his way.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 12:26:00 PM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #279 on: February 14, 2021, 08:32:22 PM »
American Jessica Pegula is in to her first Grand Slam Quarterfinal with a 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 win over 5 seed Elina Svitolna in the blazing mid day heat.

Nice balance and mix of controlled aggression, comfortably coming in to finish off points. She was the more aggressive player.

Really improving since working with David Witt. She has overcome several injuries including hip surgery a few years ago.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 08:34:31 PM by shoothoops »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #280 on: February 14, 2021, 08:48:53 PM »
Brady is rolling Vekic. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #281 on: February 14, 2021, 09:20:53 PM »
American teenagers Coco Gauff and  Caty McNally are into the Australian Open Women's Doubles Quarterfinals, with another straight set win over a seeded team. They have wins over the 6 and 9 seeded teams in their last two matches. Playing well, and playing better as a team.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #282 on: February 14, 2021, 09:52:18 PM »

Stick with your fifth word.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #283 on: February 14, 2021, 10:18:15 PM »
Rafa time!  Looking forward to this one.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #284 on: February 14, 2021, 10:19:02 PM »
American Jessica Pegula is in to her first Grand Slam Quarterfinal with a 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 win over 5 seed Elina Svitolna in the blazing mid day heat.

Nice balance and mix of controlled aggression, comfortably coming in to finish off points. She was the more aggressive player.

Really improving since working with David Witt. She has overcome several injuries including hip surgery a few years ago.

Jessie Pegula will play good friend and fellow American Jen Brady in the Australian Open Women's Quarterfinals.  Brady with a win over a resurgent Donna Vekic.

Brady's deceptive power is often an adjustment for those not used to playing her in recent memory. Slow start and too many unforced errors from Vekic, playing with some knee discomfort. Great effort in the 2nd set, which was much more of the match expectation of back and forth big hitting and movement.

Shelby Rogers will try to make 4 of 8 American Women in the Australian Open Singles Quarterfinals.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #285 on: February 14, 2021, 10:28:05 PM »
The short answer is yes, Mackie has a chance.

The longer answer is it will be a big challenge. It's a difficult matchup for him because Medvedev excels at many things, and, he ultimately forces opponents to defeat themselves. That's how he wins a lot of the time.

Mackie's game is as an aggressive baseliner, taking the ball early, great movement and footwork making shots on the move from both sides, and, he has good hands at the net. Very roughly speaking, a Kei Nishikori style of play in some ways. Very clean, strong, winner to unforced error ratio. He will have to serve well enough on both his 1st and 2nd serves, his best, to have a chance. (Mackie a former NCAA Singles Champ is one of three former UCLA Bruins playing in the event.)

Mackie had a very serious hamstring injury two years ago, that required surgery and a very long recovery rehab in small steps. It's been a long road back.

Daniil Medvedev is 6'6 vs Mackie's 5'10. But he doesn't play Big Man tennis. He is one of the game's best and most unorthodox tactical players. He has good lateral movement defend with footwork and length. He can stand inside the baseline and hit low flat backhands that are not easy to return. He doesn't really have a big weakness to his game, and, he is often a few steps ahead with strategy. Perhaps his weakness is not having a knockout punch at times but that would be it. Players at Medvedev's level with that knockout punch are the few that give him trouble.

He is unafraid to change tactics during a match, and, thus opponents don't know what's coming next. He can be a human backboard, ike Drago in Rocky IV before drawing blood, making him uncomfortable, and, inevitably temperamental.

Mackie's movement and shot making will help him against a Medvedev, but he has to get some free serve points here and there too. I'd make Medvdev come in, even though he is much improved at the net. I wouldn't get into long center of baseline rallies with him.

Medvedev has won 17 straight matches, most against top 10 players.

As long as you step out on court and throw the ball up, there's always a chance. But it will take a best level effort from Mackie, and a few things to go his way.

It wasn't a best level type of performance for Mackie, and things didn't go his way He struggled with his serve, was inefficient in his play vs Medvedev who had twice as many winners to unforced errors. Great experience and run for McDonald. Medvedev has a lot of recent experience in those matches and it was business like for him in the hot Australian sun. 18 straight wins for Daniil.

Medvedev will possibly get childhood friend, 7 seed and fellow Russian Andre Rublev in the Quarterfinals. That would be a toss up match/Medvedev a slight favorite. But first Rublev has to get past capable young Norwegian Casper Ruud.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #286 on: February 14, 2021, 10:49:25 PM »
Fognini takes the ball early.  Reminds me a little of Agassi. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #287 on: February 15, 2021, 12:12:02 AM »
With an assist from some Fognini mistakes, Rafa goes Full Houdini to pull out the second set.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #288 on: February 15, 2021, 12:36:18 AM »
With an assist from some Fognini mistakes, Rafa goes Full Houdini to pull out the second set.

Hasn't been a great match but I think Rafa will be pleased to get through in straight sets.  I think he may have to flatten his shots out a bit moving forward.  The heavy top spin will sit up for the heavy hitters.   I think I would  take Zverev right now as the slightest of favorites.  Especially if Djoker isn't right. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #289 on: February 15, 2021, 12:37:25 AM »

That was insanity.  I flipped away when Rafa went down love-40 down 4-3 after he had responded to losing his serve by breaking right back. Figured Fognini would take it and serve the set out and I’d be back in 15 min to the 3rd at 1 set a piece. Flipped back to see 6-4 to Rafa in the second and actually chuckled out loud. Just wild.

McDonald is a promising American for me because he has some diversity to his game. He’s not standard mega bomber like Isner, Opelka, or some of the close but far American as of late.  Fritz is inconsistent as hell but he’s still young, so there is hope. Really hope Tiafoe puts it together cause he has giant killer potential and is pure fun to watch when he’s on.  And then there is Korda who could be a star.  Regardless, it’s a great era for American women’s tennis, would be nice to have another male contender again. It’s been a long time

MU82

• All American
« Reply #290 on: February 15, 2021, 08:27:16 AM »
That was insanity.  I flipped away when Rafa went down love-40 down 4-3 after he had responded to losing his serve by breaking right back. Figured Fognini would take it and serve the set out and I’d be back in 15 min to the 3rd at 1 set a piece. Flipped back to see 6-4 to Rafa in the second and actually chuckled out loud. Just wild.

Fognini made 3 or 4 really bad decisions and also hit a few bad shots. And Rafa ... he just grinds, even when he goes through stretches where he's not hitting the ball the way he'd like. In the first two sets, he had 4-5 chances to put away games and missed shots he makes 90% of the time. He makes those, and he probably wins 6-2, 6-2, 6-2.

Then, in the 3rd, Rafa found his mojo again and Fognini folded like Origami. Maybe Smuggles is right, and Fognini was on the take!

Hasn't been a great match but I think Rafa will be pleased to get through in straight sets.  I think he may have to flatten his shots out a bit moving forward.  The heavy top spin will sit up for the heavy hitters.   I think I would  take Zverev right now as the slightest of favorites.  Especially if Djoker isn't right. 

Rafa definitely was happy to get through. Even though Fognini wasn't very good on this day, he is a quality pro who has beaten Rafa 4x.

I think Rafa needs to serve a lot better. He had been serving great the last couple of years - best of his career - and as Djokovic said, you need a good serve to win in Melbourne. Rafa is about to run into some players with big serves, guys who are gonna win a good number of points and games on their serve alone. Rafa needs to be representative in that area.

I'll believe Djokovic will lose as soon as I see him lose. Zverev obviously has the talent to beat him ... but we've been saying that whenever a younger, talented player goes against one of the Big 3 for at least 5 years now. I'll believe some of these "future of tennis" guys are the future of tennis as soon as they start knocking off the guys who know how to win slams.

These matches that start in the 11 to 11:30 ET slot are killing me! I can't help but watch them live, so that meant not getting to bed till almost 2. Thank goodness for straight sets, though if Rafa had lost the second, I might have just gone to bed and watched the replay this morning.

The ones that start in the 4 a.m. hour are easier - I'm not even gonna try to watch them live and will just see them the next day.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #291 on: February 15, 2021, 08:43:03 AM »
One thing that jumps out right away with this year's Australian Open American Women singles results, is age.

Shelby Rogers is 28, and backs up a U.S. Open Quarterfinal with an Australian Open Rd of 16.

Jessica Pegula is turning 27 this month. Her best results have been the past couple of years as well.

Jennifer Brady turns 26 this Spring, and backs up her U.S. Open Semifinal with her run in Australia.

All three are friends, and have overcome injuries and other things to play their best tennis now.

(Coco Vandeweghe is out with injury but has had her best success after turning 25, four deep Grand Slam runs. Sloane Stephens' best play has been in her mid 20's. Madison Keys is 26 and perhaps has her best tennis ahead of her.

And of course there are Venus and Serena, others. Alison Riske is a top 25 player who has played her best tennis at 29 and 30 etc...

The teenagers (Gauff, McNally, Anisimova etc.)..look promising, as do those just entering their early 20's Kenin, Li, etc...

Different players achieve various levels of success at various ages.

Even with the Men, John Isner's best success has come later than 25, and much of it in his 30's. Stevie Johnson has had his success in his mid to later 20's as well.

Tiafoe (just turned 23) Korda 20, etc...have plenty of time to keep improving their games.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #292 on: February 15, 2021, 09:11:14 AM »
How good is Korda?  It's pretty disappointing that we have not had a US men's champion since 2003.  Tiafoe has a lot of talent and pop in his game.  He gave Djoker a run for his money but I still think he has a ways to go. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #293 on: February 15, 2021, 09:26:19 AM »
It wasn't the patience and precision version of Fognini, better known as a clay court player that can make a run on hard courts once in a while. Didn't serve well. He is capable of moving better than he did. Nadal gave him some opportunity and chances to make it a longer hot afternoon. But Fabio didn't take advantage.

Ash Barty quietly just keeps winning. She',s made the Rd of 16 or better in her last for Grand Slams, seeking her 2nd overall, and first on her home country. She has one of the more aesethically pleasing games out there.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #294 on: February 15, 2021, 09:36:16 AM »
Australian Open Draw.

Quarterfinals, Men:

Karatsev v Dmitrov
Djokovic v Zverev
Medvedev v Rublev
Tsitsipas v Nadal

Quarterfinals Women:

Osaka v Hsieh
S. Williams v Halep
Brady v Pegula
Barty v Muchova

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #295 on: February 15, 2021, 12:24:12 PM »
Trivia time. No cheating. Honor System.

64 of the past 65 Men's Grand Slam Singles Winners have been Europeans. Name the one who wasn't from Europe.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #296 on: February 15, 2021, 12:54:53 PM »
Trivia time. No cheating. Honor System.

64 of the past 65 Men's Grand Slam Singles Winners have been Europeans. Name the one who wasn't from Europe.

Del Potro.  But in fairness I heard them say this on the broadcast last night.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #297 on: February 15, 2021, 02:15:22 PM »
The very popular Juan Martin Del Potro is the only.one in 65 tries.

Who is the only player to reach at least the Quarterfinals in all Grand Slams played since the Pandemic began?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #298 on: February 15, 2021, 03:11:52 PM »
American WTA Player Nicole Gibbs announced her retirement today. She will turn 28 in March. (Fellow American and friend Jamie Hampton retired due to injuries last year.)

She has battled multiple injuries and cancer, as a player.

She was a superstar at Stanford, and became only the third player in history to win the NCAA Title in Singles and Doubles. (Also won the team title at Stanford)

She finished her remaining year at Stanford during the Pandemic, and she is applying to Law Schools.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #299 on: February 15, 2021, 03:26:04 PM »
The very popular Juan Martin Del Potro is the only.one in 65 tries.

Who is the only player to reach at least the Quarterfinals in all Grand Slams played since the Pandemic began?

Rublev, yea?

feedback