Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What Does "Low Basketball IQ" Mean?  (Read 12339 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
What Does "Low Basketball IQ" Mean?
« on: February 18, 2011, 07:29:23 AM »
Lots of people like to rip on this team by saying they have a "low basketball IQ".  What does this mean?  Please give me a definition.  How does one measure this?  IF KenPom or Sagarin cannot measure it, does it then not exist?

Right low I'm thinking that anyone that uses the phrase "low Basketball IQ" is a Scoop invented term and actually refers to the posters IQ in criticizing this team.  Then they pick one or two poor possessions out of 70 in a game to highlight it and conclude everyone on this team is dumb.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 07:31:07 AM by AnotherMU84 »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: What Does "Low Basketball IQ" Mean?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 08:09:07 AM »
Winner, Winner, chicken dinner.

MikeyT42

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 08:22:03 AM »
Low Basketball IQ is a term that is used a lot more than just on a message board. Coaches use the term quite freely.

To me it means this:

A basketball player who consistently makes poor reads and who doesn't make good decision both offensively and defensively in the open court and in half court situations.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 08:26:49 AM »
Lots of people like to rip on this team by saying they have a "low basketball IQ".  What does this mean?  Please give me a definition.  How does one measure this?  IF KenPom or Sagarin cannot measure it, does it then not exist?

I have seen comments around here tying "low basketball IQ" and "streetball" which I disagree with on the offensive side of the ball.  We are still 32nd best of the country in not turning the ball over and 31st in the country in assists to field goals made.

If you are not turning the ball over much and assisting a high percentage of your made baskets (i.e. not a lot of one-on-one stuff), it would seem that is NOT streetball.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 08:29:07 AM »
i think its the sport-specific equivalent of saying an athlete is or is not "well spoken" etc.  its not based on any particular observation on the floor (at least not here) but instead is an overall reflex to not being happy overall with the identity of a team.

Edit: I put that as nicely as I could.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 08:46:53 AM »
Basketball IQ is not a term coined by any message board, especially this one.

Although it doesnt have a singular definition, I am surprised that people have such a bad grasp on this term.

I think Mikey had the best description:
Low Basketball IQ is a term that is used a lot more than just on a message board. Coaches use the term quite freely.*

To me it means this:

A basketball player who consistently makes poor reads and who doesn't make good decision both offensively and defensively in the open court and in half court situations.
* This is used by many analysts of the sport.

I went online to find a basic description that I felt Basketball IQ means. This is what I found:

1. Instincts for the game. Examples include knowing when you can or cannot make a pass, taking smart shots, knowing when to help on defense, knowing what is a smart foul, and knowing how to position ones self for getting rebounds.

2. Ability to pick up on what is being coached. Examples include knowing the playbook and defensive schemes and how to execute them. A player with a high basketball IQ can usually get the "big picture" of plays, understand how they are supposed to work, and see them developing on both offense and defense.

I think the best example of the [insert sport] IQ is to look at NFL quarterbacks. Guys like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees are guys that have a high football IQ- they 'get it'. They have an ability to understand all aspects of their teams system and not only their jobs, but their teammates jobs. And becuase of this understanding they see success. Guys like Jamarcus Russell, JP Losman, Ryan Leaf have a low football IQ and consequently dont have success.  

Added: As 4everWarriors says below, it has nothing to do with one's actual intelligence- only their intelligence in the sport they play.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 09:13:12 AM by jaybilaswho? »
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

MikeyT42

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 08:57:14 AM »
Ryan Leaf's general IQ can be questioned, not specifically his Football IQ

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 09:05:51 AM »
Basketball IQ is not a term coined by any message board, especially this one.

Although it doesnt have a singular definition, I am surprised that people have such a bad grasp on this term.

I think Mikey had the best description:* This is used by many analysts of the sport.

I went online to find a basic description that I felt Basketball IQ means. This is what I found:

1. Instincts for the game. Examples include knowing when you can or cannot make a pass, taking smart shots, knowing when to help on defense, knowing what is a smart foul, and knowing how to position ones self for getting rebounds.

2. Ability to pick up on what is being coached. Examples include knowing the playbook and defensive schemes and how to execute them. A player with a high basketball IQ can usually get the "big picture" of plays, understand how they are supposed to work, and see them developing on both offense and defense.

I've been hearing the term for years and for what it's worth, I always believed it meant the first of your two definitions.  I think JFB is the best example on this team of a high basketball IQ.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »
Means you're a dumb ass on the basketball court. It's unrelated to one's intellect in general. For example, Meminger, Ellis, and B. Lee were three of the smartest basketball players on the floor that I've ever seen play. However, it's likely none of them graduated summa cum laude.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 09:16:52 AM »
Ryan Leaf's general IQ can be questioned, not specifically his Football IQ

not to get off track, but Leaf's Wonderlic score was a 27. Russell scored a 24.

Guys who scored lower: Brett Favre (22), Daunte Culpepper (18), Steve McNair Randall Cunningham Dan Marino Terry Bradshaw (15)
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 09:18:11 AM »
not to get off track, but Leaf's Wonderlic score was a 27. Russell scored a 24.

Guys who scored lower: Brett Favre (22), Daunte Culpepper (18), Steve McNair Randall Cunningham Dan Marino Terry Bradshaw (15)

LOL... I am amazed Bradshaw scored a 15.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 09:27:17 AM »
LOL... I am amazed Bradshaw scored a 15.

I had to take the Wonderlic for a job interview a while back. I scored a 26. Matt LI have a toothachert got a 35... I'm gonna find a tall bridge... and step off of it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 09:43:01 AM »
 Then they pick one or two poor possessions out of 70 in a game to highlight it and conclude everyone on this team is dumb.

I'm thinking you're wrong.  That's not what it means at all.  Has nothing to do with general knowledge.  Have you ever met someone that is incredibly book smart, could answer difficult questions without skipping a beat but would then do something really stupid like grabbing a hot pan the wrong way?  I had a roommate like this at MU.  Guy was brilliant (he has a PhD now) but sometimes couldn't tie his shoes properly.

For basketball, it's a matter of making the proper BASKETBALL DECISIONS in the flow of a game, especially critical ones when the pressure is on.  This is when someone's basketball smarts are pressured the most and smart basketball play can be the difference between wins and losses.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 09:56:16 AM »
The definitions offered can be summarized as this ... A basketball player who consistently makes poor reads and who doesn't make good decision both offensively and defensively in the open court and in half court situations.

Retort:  We are still 32nd best of the country (of 345 teams) in not turning the ball over and 31st in the country in assists to field goals made.  And we have done this with the 10th hardest SoS in the country (Sagarin).

By this definition, we are the opposite of a low BB IQ. 

Those that say we have a low BB IQ are wrong. 

Please give me an examples of low BB IQ on this team.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 11:29:13 AM »

I think we are pretty good about making good decisions.  Even defensively, which I realize is strange as our defensive eFG/efficiency sucks. 

Areas that I could see people having a problem with BB IQ:
Complaint: Awareness of the back door!
Retort: I've only seen it when we have someone double teamed in the post.  It doesn't happen particularly often, and I doubt any more than any other team.

Complaint: Shot selection sucks! 
Retort:  I'm not seeing it as poor in the big picture of the season.  At times, sure, but not consistently.

Neither of those items indicate a low BB IQ.  If you watch the entirety of the season vs a single play in a vacuum, you (the royal you) will realize BB IQ isn't the issue.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 12:07:41 PM »

I think the best example of the [insert sport] IQ is to look at NFL quarterbacks. Guys like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees are guys that have a high football IQ- they 'get it'. They have an ability to understand all aspects of their teams system and not only their jobs, but their teammates jobs. And becuase of this understanding they see success. Guys like Jamarcus Russell, JP Losman, Ryan Leaf have a low football IQ and consequently dont have success.  

Added: As 4everWarriors says below, it has nothing to do with one's actual intelligence- only their intelligence in the sport they play.

I'd add Brett Favre...he's the first guy that came to my mind.  He does not have a high football \ qb IQ, at least not at critical moments of a game.  You can't just force things in and rely on physical attributes to get the win, and Favre has been the poster child for not using his noggin in the right situation.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 12:09:39 PM »
The definitions offered can be summarized as this ... A basketball player who consistently makes poor reads and who doesn't make good decision both offensively and defensively in the open court and in half court situations.

Retort:  We are still 32nd best of the country (of 345 teams) in not turning the ball over and 31st in the country in assists to field goals made.  And we have done this with the 10th hardest SoS in the country (Sagarin).

By this definition, we are the opposite of a low BB IQ.  

That 32nd best overall is based on an aggregate sample of all games.  I'd love to know what it is at certain points in the game, much like FT % in the last 4 minutes, when the pressure is on and the pucker factor kicks in.  

There are many examples...going to the rim in the Louisville game with us having possession and leading with less than 15 seconds left.  That is a classic example.

In breaking the press, at times we throw the ball back into the middle offbalance where it is easily intercepted...this has happened at least 4 or 5 times in the last few weeks and I just don't understand how this is not corrected.  It's like watching a Crean team break a press, which was ugly to watch.

I could go on, but there are plenty of examples...passing up a wide open shot and forcing a pass to someone that causes a harder shot.  It's supposed to be the other way around but we force way too many passes at times and pass up a wide open look.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 12:20:29 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

mikem91288

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 12:10:59 PM »
Many, albeit without basis, say we have a low basketball IQ because of our JUCOs. I disagree with this.

I suppose their theory behind it is they have not been playing at top-tier division I programs before coming here, but I like the experience that JUCO players add to this team. They also don't have the "all about me" mentality that some of these top flight, one and done recruits have. Please don't think I am criticizing JUCO players at all by posting this, I am simply saying what others say when they bring up the Basketball IQ argument.
Warrior in the class of 2011.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 12:17:34 PM »
I think Buycks tries a lot of stuff that isn't there; forces passes, dribbles himself into trouble, etc.  Not a great b-ball IQ for a PG.  Otule is not too sharp with the ball.  Other than that, I think our offensive IQ is just fine.  

Some of it is just confidence.  Sometimes I think DJO doesn't realize how good he is.  While I appreciate JFB's letting the game come to him, sometimes we need him to step up and be the man.

As for defense, it's hard to say.  We screw up rotations constantly, leave the wrong guys open for threes, don't get a body on someone when the shot goes up, etc.  Not sure if all of that is due to poor defensive Bball IQ or if Buzz's defense requires the basketball equivalent of Rhodes Scholars (with really quick feet) to make work.

Kevin O'Neill had a lot of success with less then stellar athletes who played great team defense by packing it in, challenging selected 3 point shooters and putting a big emphasis on getting back on D to avoid transition points (at the expense of MU offensive rebounding).  Sometimes simple is better.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 12:32:05 PM »
I'd add Brett Favre...he's the first guy that came to my mind.  He does not have a high football \ qb IQ, at least not at critical moments of a game.  You can't just force things in and rely on physical attributes to get the win, and Favre has been the poster child for not using his noggin in the right situation.

The perfect addition to the list, CBB. In addition to be very lucky on the field, BF was so, so fortunate to have M. Holmgren as a head coach at the beginning of his pdro career.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 12:36:22 PM »
Let's at least give Favre credit for learning how to text and using his cell phone camera.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Rubie Q

• Starter
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 12:36:44 PM »

How 'bout the dozen times this conference season where Vander's received the ball on the wing, his man sags off him because he knows he doesn't have to respect Vander's jumper, and Vander barrels wildly into the lane and gets whistled for a charge (or leaves his feet without knowing what he wants to do and has the pass intercepted)?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 12:48:20 PM »
Let's at least give Favre credit for learning how to text and using his cell phone camera.

;D

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 12:54:46 PM »
I actually think Jimmy Butler has one of the highest "basketball IQs" of any Marquette player in a long time. You rarely see Butler make a boneheaded play.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 12:58:52 PM »
I actually think Jimmy Butler has one of the highest "basketball IQs" of any Marquette player in a long time. You rarely see Butler make a boneheaded play.

Butler always plays within himself...I can't recall any instance of him playing out of character. That said, I wish he'd be more selfish  ;D -- he's a heck of a player.

feedback