[Today at 10:35:30 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Avenue Commons
[Today at 10:20:33 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[Today at 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Super Bowl predictions  (Read 6288 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Super Bowl predictions
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 11:56:54 AM »
Hards

No, I think they will stick with working harder than everyone else, preparing harder than everyone else and place the bar at level higher than everyone else. Sounds like a plan built for success to me.

Okay, but I'm not sure Brady/Belechek are the duo you want them to emulate.  They're both very off putting men, and have been caught cheating in their profession.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2018, 12:45:30 PM »
Hards

No, I think they will stick with working harder than everyone else, preparing harder than everyone else and place the bar at level higher than everyone else. Sounds like a plan built for success to me.

Yes, they do work hard, prepare hard and place the bar higher than others, but they've also cheated repeatedly in order to reach their peak. The reason that they don't get called out more often is because every other NFL team is also trying to cheat the system. Quite frankly, Belichick's Patriots are better at cheating than everyone else.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2018, 12:58:50 PM »
Yes, they do work hard, prepare hard and place the bar higher than others, but they've also cheated repeatedly in order to reach their peak. The reason that they don't get called out more often is because every other NFL team is also trying to cheat the system. Quite frankly, Belichick's Patriots are better at cheating than everyone else.

So, if everybody cheats (or tries to cheat) why are we slagging the Patriots for being better at it?

IMO, the Pats get called out for cheating more than anyone else not because they do it more than anyone else, but because they've strung together an unprecedented era of dominance in the modern NFL and thus are 1) constantly under the microscope and 2) constantly targets for those resentful of their success.

Case in point ...  a certain NFC North quarterback admits he adjusts balls' air pressure beyond league rules, and the NFL doesn't even investigate, much less punish, him or his team.
Brady is accused of it, repeatedly denies it, and yet on the basis of some sketchy evidence ends up with a four-game suspension, and his team loses a first-round pick and $1 million.
And people think the league favors the Patriots?

For the record, I am not a Patriots fan and will be cheering hard for the Iggles. But it's ridiculous the lengths some will go to discredit the success of Brady and Belichick.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2018, 01:05:56 PM »
Case in point ...  a certain NFC North quarterback admits he adjusts balls' air pressure beyond league rules, and the NFL doesn't even investigate, much less punish, him or his team.

I'm pretty sure he does this prior to them being inspected by officials, not after.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2018, 01:13:38 PM »
So, if everybody cheats (or tries to cheat) why are we slagging the Patriots for being better at it?

IMO, the Pats get called out for cheating more than anyone else not because they do it more than anyone else, but because they've strung together an unprecedented era of dominance in the modern NFL and thus are 1) constantly under the microscope and 2) constantly targets for those resentful of their success.

Brady is accused of it, repeatedly denies it, and yet on the basis of some sketchy evidence ends up with a four-game suspension, and his team loses a first-round pick and $1 million.
And people think the league favors the Patriots?

For the record, I am not a Patriots fan and will be cheering hard for the Iggles. But it's ridiculous the lengths some will go to discredit the success of Brady and Belichick.

They also get called out for cheating more because, you know, they've been caught cheating multiple times. I'd be willing to bet that "Spygate" was just the tip of the iceberg.

I look at Belichick and the Patriots in the same way that I look at someone like Barry Bonds. The ability was there to be among the all-time greats and cheating brought it all to the next level.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2018, 01:14:58 PM »
FYI---I am not a NE Patriots fan, not was I a Jordan era Chicago Bulls fan. Simply put, there are times in life that someone/team does something that makes history, and I happen to respect the greatness a great deal. In addition, I am sure I take pleasure that the masses try hard to find fault with this greatness.

To me, whether it was Jordan, Tiger, Brady/Belickick, Steve Jobs, Warren Buffett or any other individual/team that achieves historic greatness, I try to study and learn from their success. I fully understand that many are flawed individuals, but find their stories very fascinating.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2018, 01:26:14 PM »
That's a great graphic, but it could have done without the blotch on DC.  The rivalry with the Skins (and the Giants for that matter) pales in comparison to the rivalry with the Cowboys.

The Redskins are to Eagles fans what the Lions are to Packers fans.

Kinda looks like da map of POTUS' ass kickin' of dodo bird, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2018, 01:32:18 PM »
They also get called out for cheating more because, you know, they've been caught cheating multiple times. I'd be willing to bet that "Spygate" was just the tip of the iceberg.

Lots of teams have been caught cheating multiple times. You just hear about it less.
The Broncos were caught circumventing the cap on multiple occasions during their Super Bowl seasons in the late 90s. Nobody, to my knowledge, runs around saying "Yeah, John Elway was great, but some of his success is a result of cheating. He's the Barry Bonds of football."
The Colts have been caught multiple times pumping noise through the stadium speakers when their opponents are on offense. Nobody says Tony Dungy's record is blemished by his cheating ways.
Heck, Jerry Rice admits he illegally wore stickum on his gloves. Does anyone not consider him the GOAT receiver because of it?

Everybody cheats if they can. But nobody cares when the Browns do, because they're the Browns. Everybody cares when it's the Patriots, because they win.
Again, I'm no Patriots fan, but chalking up any of their success to cheating is silly.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 01:42:17 PM by Pakuni »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2018, 01:33:03 PM »
I'm pretty sure he does this prior to them being inspected by officials, not after.

How would anyone know? The league chose not to investigate an admitted rules violation.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2018, 04:11:15 PM »
How would anyone know? The league chose not to investigate an admitted rules violation.

It's not an admitted rules violation.  It is the NFL's job to inspect ball-pressure.  If they are over inflated, they adjust them.  If they miss it, its the NFLs fault. 

If they inspect them all and certify them, and then someone illegally sneaks in afterward and adjusts them, it is a blatant rules violation and cheating. 

There was nothing to investigate; there was no evidence.  For that matter, maybe they did investigate, and followed up on it only to be told that they inflate them as much as possible prior to inspection. 

The Patriots get caught for cheating, because they cheat constantly.  One of the dirtiest teams in sports.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2018, 04:46:08 PM »
It's not an admitted rules violation.  It is the NFL's job to inspect ball-pressure.  If they are over inflated, they adjust them.  If they miss it, its the NFLs fault. 

Wait ... what?
If you cheat by overinflating the balls and don't get caught, then you didn't really cheat?
And no, the league is on record as saying they didn't investigate Rodgers.

I've reached the conclusion that some people really don't want to give the Patriots credit for their success.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2018, 05:35:02 PM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2018, 06:09:42 PM »
Wait ... what?
If you cheat by overinflating the balls and don't get caught, then you didn't really cheat?
And no, the league is on record as saying they didn't investigate Rodgers.

I've reached the conclusion that some people really don't want to give the Patriots credit for their success.

Pretty simple.  It is not the teams job to measure the ball pressure.  They inflate the game balls; the NFL confirms that they are within specification. 

Calling it cheating if any balls are found to be outside of specification is frankly, idiotic.  Now, if you intentionally go in and secretly inflate the balls outside of specifications after they have been inspected...then you intentionally violated the rules and you are a cheater. 

The Patriots have had some of the most egregious examples of cheating in modern sports.  To get caught that many times in blatant and deliberate rules violations, says a lot. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2018, 08:30:42 PM »
Prediction:  Vikings will not win the superbowl.

(ever)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2018, 09:58:28 PM »
Prediction:  Vikings will not win the superbowl.

(ever)

Hey, at least their stadium made it to the Super Bowl!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2018, 10:21:02 PM »
Hey, at least their stadium made it to the Super Bowl!

It does look to be a pretty amazing stadium. Build a nice glass shell like that over Lambeau, put in more real seats...mmmmhmm.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2018, 05:39:36 AM »
It does look to be a pretty amazing stadium. Build a nice glass shell like that over Lambeau, put in more real seats...mmmmhmm.

Sacrilege. The Firmament is the only glass dome over the tundra.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2018, 05:41:08 AM »
Sacrilege. The Firmament is the only glass dome over the tundra.

Right up there with Bear Weather.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2018, 05:45:01 AM »
Right up there with Bear Weather.
Boers and Bernstein dedicated an entire delicious week to the lunacy that is "Bear Weather."
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2018, 08:29:59 AM »
https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/955219874644717568/video/1

Belichick is so awesome.

I'm not a big Belichick fan, but that was pretty badass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2018, 09:25:00 AM »
The Patriots have had some of the most egregious examples of cheating in modern sports.  To get caught that many times in blatant and deliberate rules violations, says a lot.

I guess we'll agree to disagree on the egregiousness of their cheating. Spygate, IMO, is not nearly as bad as repeatedly circumvating the cap. Deflating the ball is not any more egregious than wearing stickum, overinflating the ball or greasing your jersey. You're free to disagree, but I would hope for consistency's sake you feel the same about the tarnished legacies of Tony Dungy, John Elway, Jerry Rice and Bill Cowher.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2018, 10:07:51 AM »
FYI---I am not a NE Patriots fan, not was I a Jordan era Chicago Bulls fan. Simply put, there are times in life that someone/team does something that makes history, and I happen to respect the greatness a great deal. In addition, I am sure I take pleasure that the masses try hard to find fault with this greatness.

To me, whether it was Jordan, Tiger, Brady/Belickick, Steve Jobs, Warren Buffett or any other individual/team that achieves historic greatness, I try to study and learn from their success. I fully understand that many are flawed individuals, but find their stories very fascinating.

I agree with this, Goose. Nicely said.

I also agree that the Patriots have cheated, but everything is relative. Their "crimes" seem rather meh to me. Just my opinion, nothing else.

And yes, although I really dislike Belichick and all of the others from the Parcells-Knight-LaRussa d-bag tree, I love the way he tossed that meaningless piece of metal aside as if it were a used Kleenex.

Finally, whether the Pats win or lose, it will be fascinating to see what becomes of the Kraft-Belichick-Brady troika during the offseason. It will be the biggest story in the NFL ... unless it isn't!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson