Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What can still go wrong  (Read 17714 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: What can still go wrong
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2018, 06:21:59 PM »
Cool.  Definitely seems like Lovell and company aren't the kind to push for excellence and/or overachievement.  4 years in and no NCAA wins, isn't exactly high standard material. 

Hopefully the long leash will be rewarded beginning next season and thereafter and Wojo guides us to consistent NCAA tourney appearances year in and out.

And in none of those 4 years has Marquette been projected to even making the tournament. So KenPom would say that Marquette has overchieved just by making it!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2018, 06:32:04 PM »
And in none of those 4 years has Marquette been projected to even making the tournament. So KenPom would say that Marquette has overchieved just by making it!

Yea...I'd imagine with all of the roster instability year over year since Wojo arrived, that resulted in preseason expectations being mediocre thus far under Wojo.  As Wojo lamented all year long, in his 4th year at the helm, we were inexperienced this past season.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2018, 06:43:41 PM »

Your patience in this argument is to be commended.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2018, 06:59:41 PM »
Yea...I'd imagine with all of the roster instability year over year since Wojo arrived, that resulted in preseason expectations being mediocre thus far under Wojo.  As Wojo lamented all year long, in his 4th year at the helm, we were inexperienced this past season.

What roster instability? We've been right at the national average for the past few years. Rome wasn't built in a day Brother Ners, our Rome should be coming to completion next year (and improved upon the following year). And if it isn't,  then it will be time to find a new architect
TAMU

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2018, 07:06:16 PM »
Your patience in this argument is to be commended.
He is going to be a great father. Already having experience dealing with immature teenagers.
Goal is National Championship

nyg

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2018, 07:09:07 PM »
And another halfway decent thread gets de-railed with a Buzz/Wojo thing.  You guys are something else, it just never ends.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2018, 07:27:07 PM »
And another halfway decent thread gets de-railed with a Buzz/Wojo thing.  You guys are something else, it just never ends.
No, there is ONE guy who pollutes even single thread with the same arguments over and over and over and over and over.  It never ends.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2018, 07:33:40 PM »
His head is up your ass?
Winner winner.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2018, 07:39:53 PM »

Your hyperbole isn't helping.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2018, 07:51:44 PM »
He is going to be a great father. Already having experience dealing with immature teenagers.

Teenagers?  Man, he’s ready for that terror of all terrors - the inquisitive 3-year-old!
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2018, 07:58:52 PM »
Winner winner.

You're into some kinky stuff brother Willie
TAMU

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2018, 09:09:56 PM »

Marquette first appeared in the NCAA tournament in 1954-55. No coach since then has gone 4 straight years without making the tournament. I'm grateful that Wojo has "overachieved" to avoid that dubious distinction but would feel better if overachievement hadn't been necessary.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2018, 10:03:04 PM »
No, there is ONE guy who pollutes even single thread with the same arguments over and over and over and over and over.  It never ends.

You mad bro?  Can’t handle an opinion different than your own and it results in you resorting to the juvenile usage of “dumbass.”  Grow up.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2018, 10:07:07 PM »
What roster instability? We've been right at the national average for the past few years. Rome wasn't built in a day Brother Ners, our Rome should be coming to completion next year (and improved upon the following year). And if it isn't,  then it will be time to find a new architect

There’s no problem being at the national average in roster instability, so long as you can produce. I look at Jamie Dixon, Kelvin Sampson, Buzz, Chris Beard, Counzo Martin - all those guys have turned awful programs around in less time than Wojo.

Now, things look good for next year, and there is some hope. So, perhaps the patience of a less than stellar 4-year beginning to the Wojo regime will pay off.

He’s doing well on the recruiting front..just hope we have enough toughness and athleticism to win at the NCAA tourney level.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2018, 10:21:47 PM »
There’s no problem being at the national average in roster instability, so long as you can produce. I look at Jamie Dixon, Kelvin Sampson, Buzz, Chris Beard, Counzo Martin - all those guys have turned awful programs around in less time than Wojo.

Dixon - Fantastic coach great example
Sampson - Known cheater who loses a bunch to graduation and will likely miss the tournament again
Buzz - Fantastic coach great example
Beard - Inherited a team that made the NCAAs the year before but also a solid coach...though he loses a lot to graduation and may miss the tourney next year
Cuonzo - Burned Cal's program to the ground in three year. Cut a big fart and walked out of the room
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2018, 10:23:01 PM »
What can still go wrong?

Too much talent.

Former North Stars GM Lou Nanne used that as an excuse more than once!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2018, 10:27:04 PM »
Dixon - Fantastic coach great example
Sampson - Known cheater who loses a bunch to graduation and will likely miss the tournament again
Buzz - Fantastic coach great example
Beard - Inherited a team that made the NCAAs the year before but also a solid coach...though he loses a lot to graduation and may miss the tourney next year
Cuonzo - Burned Cal's program to the ground in three year. Cut a big fart and walked out of the room

Not impressed at all with him either.  Thankful he didn't end up at MU. 

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2018, 10:35:06 PM »
Marquette first appeared in the NCAA tournament in 1954-55. No coach since then has gone 4 straight years without making the tournament. I'm grateful that Wojo has "overachieved" to avoid that dubious distinction but would feel better if overachievement hadn't been necessary.

Dukiet did
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2018, 10:38:57 PM »
Dukiet did

Only coached 3 seasons at Marquette.

Thank goodness.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2018, 10:46:41 PM »
Only coached 3 seasons at Marquette.

Thank goodness.

Majerus too and like Dukiet, no NCAA appearances as head coach- three NIT seasons, 1 quarterfinal loss at IU that stings to this day to me!  Believe it was double OT loss.

Unlike Dukiet, too bad his stay as HC was so short.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2018, 11:26:06 PM »

Not sure I understand, but maybe it is how you worded it.

Eddie Hickey made it in 1960-61 and not again until Al McGuire in '67-68.   That's more than 4 straight years, but because Hickey made it already are you saying that rings the bell for your statement?

Hank last made it in '83, we went 10 straight years and several coaches (Majerus, Dukiet) and O'Neill's 4th year until finally making it back in '93. 

Is it because it had to be the same coach, because certainly as a program we missed it. Not sure I understand the difference really.  Those other coaches were dismissed or left on their own because of their own poor trajectory.  Wojo's trajectory has been solid. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 11:28:13 PM by WarriorDad »
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2018, 06:57:55 AM »
Not sure I understand, but maybe it is how you worded it.

Eddie Hickey made it in 1960-61 and not again until Al McGuire in '67-68.   That's more than 4 straight years, but because Hickey made it already are you saying that rings the bell for your statement?

Hank last made it in '83, we went 10 straight years and several coaches (Majerus, Dukiet) and O'Neill's 4th year until finally making it back in '93. 

Is it because it had to be the same coach, because certainly as a program we missed it. Not sure I understand the difference really.  Those other coaches were dismissed or left on their own because of their own poor trajectory.  Wojo's trajectory has been solid.

Sorry you were unable to understand. 82 and others did. I suggest you reread.

My point is simple. TAMU's main measuring stick re performance is "meeting expectations". Wojo's "expectations" during his tenure have been - no tournament, no tournament, NIT, NIT. Meeting said expectations would have made Wojo  the only COACH at MU to go 4 consecutive years without making the NCAA since we first made it in 1955. Wojo made it a moot point by "overachieving" and making the tournament in his 3rd year. Had he not, some wouldn't have blinked. Others would have wondered why expectations were so low for so long.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2018, 09:08:06 AM »
Sorry you were unable to understand. 82 and others did. I suggest you reread.

I guess I fall into the bucket of Sand Knit and Hutchwasclutch as we answered your question and must have read it differently.  Maybe you and 82 have a kinetic connection.  Batman and Robin  :D
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2018, 10:38:20 AM »
I guess I fall into the bucket of Sand Knit and Hutchwasclutch as we answered your question and must have read it differently.  Maybe you and 82 have a kinetic connection.  Batman and Robin  :D

Think you also misread Hutch's post. He obviously "got" my post and (like '82) added color for those who didn't. Afraid you're only in the bucket with Sand Knit on this one, though his was a slight misunderstanding rather than a total one.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2018, 10:27:52 PM »
Expectations
Last year in non-conference we were 9-3. I believe we will play 13 non-conference games this year. I see losing two games in NY. I predict 10-3.
I do not see us going 0-6 against Villanova, Xavier & Butler. I predict 11-7 in conference and it could easily be better, if we can manage not to lose DePaul and St. John's. 1-1 in Big East tournament and 1-1 in NCAA. 23-12.

feedback