Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine  (Read 9158 times)

IrwinFletcher

• All American
Re: Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2024, 05:27:09 PM »
Kolek gets a first-round consideration in an article in The Athletic about older guys in the draft. Here's the passage:

That will again bring an important question to the forefront as teams make their decisions: Does age matter in the draft?

Players who have been selected that high at 22 years or older have not, for the most part, gone on to productive NBA careers. There have been 30 players who have been at least 22 on the day of the draft selected over the last 15 years. Of those, roughly three have become reliable starter-level players (Buddy Hield, Cam Johnson and Kelly Olynyk). Taurean Prince has consistently been a rotation player over his career. Corey Kispert, Obi Toppin and Jaime Jaquez Jr. seem to be on their way to getting there. The rest is a mixed bag.

Pretty interesting, though I'd argue that Jaquez has already ascended much higher than this.

So 7 of the 30, or roughly 24% are "starters or rotation players".  Granted, that is hardly a definitive term and open to opinion as to what that means, but I am curious as to what is the hit % for players under 22 drafted in the first round.  I have no idea so this is an honest question. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2024, 06:44:00 PM »
So 7 of the 30, or roughly 24% are "starters or rotation players".  Granted, that is hardly a definitive term and open to opinion as to what that means, but I am curious as to what is the hit % for players under 22 drafted in the first round.  I have no idea so this is an honest question.

That was not provided. And I sure ain't gonna spend months figuring it out.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2024, 06:47:16 PM »
Kolek gets a first-round consideration in an article in The Athletic about older guys in the draft. Here's the passage:

Six players 22 and older seem to have a decent chance to go in the first 20 picks (they’re in the top 30 of The Athletic’s latest big board), though in a draft as murky as this one, it’s hard to be certain.

Tennessee wing Dalton Knecht might go in the top 10. Providence guard Devin Carter just tagged an impressive junior year with some strong testing at the draft combine. Purdue center Zach Edey is one of the most interesting players in the draft and projected to be a fringe lottery pick. Marquette point guard Tyler Kolek, Colorado forward Tristan da Silva and Creighton wing Baylor Scheierman are all projected first-round picks who could land higher than expected on draft night.

That will again bring an important question to the forefront as teams make their decisions: Does age matter in the draft?

Players who have been selected that high at 22 years or older have not, for the most part, gone on to productive NBA careers. There have been 30 players who have been at least 22 on the day of the draft selected over the last 15 years. Of those, roughly three have become reliable starter-level players (Buddy Hield, Cam Johnson and Kelly Olynyk). Taurean Prince has consistently been a rotation player over his career. Corey Kispert, Obi Toppin and Jaime Jaquez Jr. seem to be on their way to getting there. The rest is a mixed bag.

Pretty interesting, though I'd argue that Jaquez has already ascended much higher than this.
Just semantics, but if the rest are a mixed bag, does that mean there are some starters, rotational players in that bag?

feedback