'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Growing Pains  (Read 1254 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Growing Pains
« on: November 30, 2008, 06:11:44 PM »
I don't know if Buzz will be our answer or not. Really not enough information yet to form an educated opinion. However, it is very clear that we all will experience growing pains as this inexperienced coach essentially learns on the job. That has also been the case with past hires like Rick, Kevin, and T-Cubed.
Its not Buzz' fault he was hired. Yet, unlike the past situations, this coaching search should have resulted in an established, successful coach being hired at MU. All the stars were lined up right for this to happen, total commitment by the University towards basketball, great facilities and great conference. Furthermore, we fans deserve the best available. So, why, then, must we endure growing pains once again?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

denverMU

• All American
Re: Growing Pains
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 06:21:00 PM »
Wait a second, on a differrent post, you said Tom Crean "left the cupboards bare" so what great coach would take the job with that situation?  What all MU fans need to understand is this is just one loss. I certainly did not think we were going undefeated this year.  We are going to lose more too!  We hopefully will learn from the losses and be ready to give our best at tournament time.  Finally, it is way too early to say we hired a bad coach, I don't recall any of this when we were averaging 100 pts/game and obtw I was not in favor of the Buzz hire but I think he is doing his best and deserves our support for at least a season or two.  Go MU Warriors!

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 06:34:54 PM »
I agree and was thinking about this last night.

In a way, Buzz is on a short leash, specifically with us the MU fan base. I agree it's through no fault of his own. Buzz was offered the job, and he rightfully took it. His familiarity with the current team and his ability to recruit were the selling points to us the public.

I think Buzz is on a short leash for a few reasons:

-Today's "win now" attitude.

-He inherited a top 20 team.

-The rumors/speculation that MU might go after a Tony Bennett or Sean Miller (which Buzz can not compete with in regards to experience and coaching success).

-His need to land a stud, big name recruit.

Like him or not, you knew exactly what you were getting with Crean teams. Now there's much unfamiliarity, and it's still in many ways a Crean team. In my opinion, the typical MU fan wants this team to succeed  in spite of Crean (if that makes sense). That falls squarely on Buzz's shoulders. If last night's loss is an indication of the season ahead, most MU fans are going to put this on Buzz (fair or not), and the administration.

It's still quite early in his career at MU and in this season. A win over Wisco Saturday could remedy a lot of the the ill feelings out there right now. I just worry that what we witnessed last night is a precursor to a lot of what we'll see this season.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 06:38:39 PM »
Crean didn't recruit well, and as we see there isn't much left. But, that's secondary to the situation in which a new coach was hired. Few coaches, I suspect, accept or reject a job based on current talent. Hell, the departed raced like cockroaches in a kitchen when the lights when on to take Indiana knowing full well they faced sanctions. Facts are Buzz is essentially a novice at head coaching and there will be growing pains associated with his maturation.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback