'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander NBA Workouts  (Read 10384 times)

amen426

• Starter
Vander NBA Workouts
« on: June 03, 2013, 11:02:43 PM »
Worked out for Phoenix today. Was predicting that this would be the team that lands him in the 2nd round. Few links below regarding the workout..

McDonough says that Vander's athleticism stood out.
http://arizonasports.com/41/1639087/Phoenix-Suns-hold-first-predraft-workout

Grant Jerrett, Vander, and Kenny Kadji appear to be options for the 2nd round pick (57th overall).
http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2013/6/3/4392810/phoenix-suns-2013-nba-draft-workouts-grant-jerrett-vander-blue?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co

Vander Blue Post-Workout Interview
http://www.nba.com/suns/video/2013/06/03/DraftWorkoutsVanderBluewmv-2497829

Phoenix has 3 more days of workouts this week (Wednesday, Thursday and Friday). Seems likely that the final three days will include players vying for the two first-rounders.

MUSF

• All American
Re: Vander NBA Workouts
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 11:58:52 PM »
I still think Vander gets drafted.

You can develop a shot and ball handling in the NBA. You can't develop elite athletic ability. Vander has elite athletic ability.

MarquetteMAN

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 09:19:35 AM »
Interesting links. From what shown on all three, it looks like they're most interested in Vander so that's good. He's definitely better than pretty much all of them. I would say it comes down to Vander or Ryan Evans for that pick.
You'll know when you are in trouble. You'll know when you've messed up, because you'll hear a chant of three words. We Are Marquette. And when you hear that...Pray.

Hamostradamus

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 11:39:35 AM »
I would say it comes down to Vander or Ryan Evans for that pick.

I think that was supposed to be in teal.
"ESPN -- is the one who told us what to do." - Boston College athletic director Gene DeFilippo

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 01:13:20 AM »
According to Hoops Hype, Vander has worked out for:
Boston (May 25)
Detroit (May 27)
Phoenix (June 3)

http://hoopshype.com/past_workouts.htm
SS Marquette

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 05:56:17 AM »
Detroit definitely needs Vander's defense.

SPCMU06

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 10:20:02 AM »
Saw Vander in the Salt Lake City airport yesterday.

Desert_warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »
Looks like Trent worked out with the Bucks and the Bulls.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 10:51:20 AM »
Looks like Trent worked out with the Bucks and the Bulls.

Do the Bucks work out every Marquette player who graduates?
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 10:54:27 AM »
Do the Bucks work out every Marquette player who graduates?

Sure.  It's cheap and it's a warm body.  Doesn't do any harm.

I'm sure you see similar things in other cities.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 11:18:42 AM »
Detroit definitely needs Vander's defense.

Detroit needs more than Vander to be fixed (Not the Pistons, I'm talking about the city).

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 11:22:01 AM »
As for Lockett, I would be extremely surprised if he ever got close to the league, but he should have a solid career in the D-League/overseas. Not to take away from his abilities or anything, but it's very hard to get into the NBA even for a solid college player and I don't think he has it.

PistolPete

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 11:49:14 AM »
As for Lockett, I would be extremely surprised if he ever got close to the league, but he should have a solid career in the D-League/overseas. Not to take away from his abilities or anything, but it's very hard to get into the NBA even for a solid college player and I don't think he has it.

I'm curious, assuming one has come to terms with the fact that the NBA is out of sight, what's the appeal to the D-League as compared to heading overseas? Of course, I understand there are those that would prefer to stay closer to home, but from a career perspective, aren't there far greater opportunities overseas?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 12:02:14 PM »
I'm curious, assuming one has come to terms with the fact that the NBA is out of sight, what's the appeal to the D-League as compared to heading overseas? Of course, I understand there are those that would prefer to stay closer to home, but from a career perspective, aren't there far greater opportunities overseas?

Many of the opportunities aren't much better than the D-League and many are much worse. There are a few solid European leagues, but also a lot of shady, questionable ones. Read "Can I Keep My Jersey?" by Paul Shirley. He can be arrogant at times, but it gives an interesting perspective.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 01:40:25 PM »
Nice Marquette plug by Vander in the last link.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 02:50:13 PM »
I still think Vander gets drafted.

You can develop a shot and ball handling in the NBA. You can't develop elite athletic ability. Vander has elite athletic ability.

If you watch numerous NBA games, even those involving bad teams, you will see that every roster has five, seven, nine players with elite athletic ability. Yes, teams always want more. But it's not as if it's in short supply.

I'd be modestly surprised if Vander is drafted and freakin' stunned if he's drafted in the first round.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 02:53:23 PM »
The Pistons need a wing scorer.   IMO, Vander doesn't fit that need.  

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2013/06/detroit_pistons_release_famili.html#incart_more_sports
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 02:56:49 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 03:22:05 PM »
If you watch numerous NBA games, even those involving bad teams, you will see that every roster has five, seven, nine players with elite athletic ability. Yes, teams always want more.

This kind of proves my point.

You know what you don't see on NBA benches? Five, seven, nine players without elite athletic ability.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 08:18:28 PM »
The Pistons need a wing scorer.   IMO, Vander doesn't fit that need.  

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2013/06/detroit_pistons_release_famili.html#incart_more_sports

They have a first round pick and two second round picks. I doubt they draft need over best available with all three picks. I'm not saying they'll take Vander, but I don't think his not fitting their biggest need will prevent them from taking him.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2013, 08:26:39 AM »
Vander is Wade's replacement with Heat. Heat will be dumping the whining, athletically challenged, cheap shot artist Wade for the high fiving, ball handling wiz Vander Blue.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2013, 11:22:52 AM »
This kind of proves my point.

You know what you don't see on NBA benches? Five, seven, nine players without elite athletic ability.

That's ridiculous. Every guy sitting on an NBA bench in a game uniform has elite athletic ability.

Death on call

westcoastwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2013, 11:36:16 AM »
Muthu Alagappan is working for a lot of NBA teams as a consultant.  Per his topology mapping there are 10 positions in the NBA....you will see Vander fits one of those positions perfectly..."Rim driving defensive minded ball handler".  If you are not familiar with his analysis...I have attached a link.

http://www.wired.com/playbook/2013/03/basketballs-hidden-positions/

There is also plenty of articles that also question his analysis.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2013, 12:12:21 PM »
That's ridiculous. Every guy sitting on an NBA bench in a game uniform has elite athletic ability.

Uh, that's exactly my point. That's why I think Vander gets drafted, because his athletic ability sets him apart from many others in the draft pool and NBA teams are always looking for great athletes. I think they are more likely to draft a great athlete with a less polished game/skills than a lesser athlete with better skills. Skills can be developed, elite athleticism largely can't.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2013, 10:02:57 PM »
Uh, that's exactly my point. That's why I think Vander gets drafted, because his athletic ability sets him apart from many others in the draft pool and NBA teams are always looking for great athletes. I think they are more likely to draft a great athlete with a less polished game/skills than a lesser athlete with better skills. Skills can be developed, elite athleticism largely can't.

The only thing that will prove your point is if Vander gets drafted. If so, he will have been drafted behind other guys with elite athletic ability and ahead of other guys with elite athletic ability.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2013, 12:23:04 AM »
Getting drafted 57 gets really bad, when the team picking you has two first round draft choices. I wonder how often a team keeps three drafted players in one year?

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 05:42:43 AM »
Detroit needs more than Vander to be fixed (Not the Pistons, I'm talking about the city).
good one
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing